PDA

View Full Version : Stringway ML120 clamp issue

Avadia
02-02-2012, 06:43 AM
I need some advice from anyone familiar with the Stringway ML120. Things have always been a little tight when stringing my first and last cross. The other night, when stringing a Wilson BLX Tour 90 for the first time, I was unable to clamp the last cross. The part of the machine that the racquet is mounted to blocks the clamps from getting into position to be able to clamp the last cross. In other words, the tension screw on the clamp hits the mounting bracket, blocking it from getting into position. I tried multiple things and there was no way to do it. I ended up clamping the next to last cross and tying off the last one loose. Not an ideal solution.

Has anyone else experienced this with this particular machine and, if so, have you come up with any solutions for dealing with this issue? Thanks in advance. Oh, and if it is relevant, I have the single action clamps.

Irvin
02-02-2012, 07:39 AM
I am not familiar with your machine but it seems like it would be easier to skip the next to last cross and string the bottom first then go back up and double pull the bottom two crosses, assuming there is no way to clamp the bottom cross.

Racquet-Priority
02-02-2012, 10:12 AM
If you send me a direct message I can give you the email adress of the owner of Stringway and maybe he can help you.

bbulla
02-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I have the ML100, so basically the same machine. I strung a BLX Blade Lite on the weekend and had the same issue. I talked to the guys at Stringway and the only solution is to double pull the last two strings. So after the 18th cross, do the 20th, and then the 19th, pulling tension on the 20th and the 19th at the same time.

It sucks, but I'm sure you'll find other frames that do the same thing. I have to do this for almost all badminton racquets on this machine.

Pavlos
02-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Looking to buy an ML100 so obviously a little concerned with this.

If you first pull tension on the 20th cross, and then on the 19th, then that makes the 19th cross the last one, and the one you will be tying off, correct?

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm just now getting into stringing and have a hard time visualising this :) Somebody care to explain a little?

bbulla
02-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Correct....you tie off after that into 12T, which shouldn't be a problem. Being the last two cross near the throat, it shouldn't affect the stringbed.

bbulla
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
And no....you don't pull tension on the 20th (because you can't clamp it)....you pull tension on the 20th while your tensioning the 19th.

bbulla
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
and clamp the 19th.

Pavlos
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
OK, I got it. You weave the 20th and 19th and just pull them together by putting the "end" of the 19th on the tension head.

Avadia
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. That seems like a reasonable workaround.

Avadia
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Looking to buy an ML100 so obviously a little concerned with this.

Pavlos, the Stringways are excellent machines. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Don't fear. You will be very happy with the ML 100.

russell2011
02-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I have no experience with your exact machine but if you have a flying clamp you could clamp the strings from the top. Just a thought.

Overheadsmash
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I need some advice from anyone familiar with the Stringway ML120. Things have always been a little tight when stringing my first and last cross. The other night, when stringing a Wilson BLX Tour 90 for the first time, I was unable to clamp the last cross. The part of the machine that the racquet is mounted to blocks the clamps from getting into position to be able to clamp the last cross. In other words, the tension screw on the clamp hits the mounting bracket, blocking it from getting into position. I tried multiple things and there was no way to do it. I ended up clamping the next to last cross and tying off the last one loose. Not an ideal solution.

Has anyone else experienced this with this particular machine and, if so, have you come up with any solutions for dealing with this issue? Thanks in advance. Oh, and if it is relevant, I have the single action clamps.

I have that exact machine and have had that same problem. I usually just end up hand tightening the last cross and it has worked ok. It's only happens on one of my racquets.

What about atarting your crosses at the bottom then working your way up? Then you would not have to double back on those last two crosses, you could just pull tension on the secon one up and clamp that one, no?

Peppershaker
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I also have an ML100, and from time to time I've run across this same problem. I have a flying clamp that I use for these situations which allows me to clamp from either the top or bottom and proceed without a problem.

I've read about skipping the next to last, and to string the bottom first and although I've thought about trying it the flying clamp has worked well for me.

Clintspin
02-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Either get a flying clamp or skip down 2 or three crosses and work back up to finish.

Racquet-Priority
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
A flying clamp is indeed a good option. I also use my stringway flying clamp as an starting clamp!

TennisCJC
02-14-2012, 06:18 AM
I have a old LaSerFibre which is the exact same machine as the Stringway ML series. I have this problem on a few rackets but not many (wilson tour 90...). I bought a gamma flying clamp and it works reasonably well. Also, pulling 2 crosses together is a good option - raise tension 4 lbs and flex strings under tension to get the 2 crosses to normalize the tension as best as possible.

I bought the gamma plastic flying clamp which works well and it was fairly inexpensive. The Stringway double wide flying clamp would be ideal but it is pretty expensive.

Kevo
02-14-2012, 12:16 PM
I've run into that issue a time or two and I leave the bottom string under tension and then just push it in toward the clamp until I can get a clamp on it. Then I tie it off. That seems to work OK for me, but I can't recall if I've run into that on the same frame you guys are discussing or not. I'd rather not have to double pull if I can avoid it. The flying clamp seems like a good option as well.

Technatic
02-14-2012, 10:44 PM
I hear a lot about using the starting clamp for the first cross, the advantage is a little unclear to me.
I make a starting knot and pull tension on the first 2 strings at the same time.
In this way you always pull controlled tension on the knot and it is ok to pull 2 strings at the same time because the first crosses are very short any way.

What is the advantage of using the starting clamp compared to the starting knot?

Kevo
02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Starting clamp allows people to go back and finish that first string the same way they would the last string using their regular knot and tension pulling method.

I always use my regular knot any way, and pull tension on it as normal. I think using poly makes that pretty straightforward as I've never had any trouble doing it that way.

Technatic
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
So we agree.
It seems to me that you have more control on the tension in the last string by pulling tension on the knot.

The loss of tension caused by making the knot seems bigger in such a short string when you finish with the knot.

Irvin
02-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Not quite sure what you are saying there 'Technatic' but I would agree that if you use a starting knot there is no drawback crated by the knot. All you will have is clamp drawback.

I don't prefer the starting knot because it is pulled into the grommet crushing the grommet against the frame and because it is larger it damages the grommet more.

I prefer to use Pro knots for all four knots because they're smaller, hold well, look neater, and they're all the same.

I prefer two piece stringing and will tie off the bottom cross first and the top cross last. Using two piece and tying the cross string knots last will give you less drawback because you have a stiffer string bed. The only way to do that is to use a starting clamp or a flying clamp as a starting clamp.

duffman
02-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I hear a lot about using the starting clamp for the first cross, the advantage is a little unclear to me.
I make a starting knot and pull tension on the first 2 strings at the same time.
In this way you always pull controlled tension on the knot and it is ok to pull 2 strings at the same time because the first crosses are very short any way.

What is the advantage of using the starting clamp compared to the starting knot?

Some racquets also have the tie off hole for the top cross on another cross string in which case you can't use a starting knot to begin the crosses and a starting clamp is required. This is how my babolat pure storm tour is.

Technatic
02-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys,
I do not meet the problems with the knot on the first cross because I string in one piece 90 % of the jobs.
Seldom do hybrids.

Racquet-Priority
02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
An you can use a starting clamp for starting mains and a you need one for a two piece 50-50 pattern.

Irvin
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
An you can use a starting clamp for starting mains and a you need one for a two piece 50-50 pattern.

Only if you have fixed clamps dedicated to one side. If you have flying clamps or glide bar clamps that are not dedicated to one side a starting clamp is not necessary.

Racquet-Priority
02-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Only if you have fixed clamps dedicated to one side. If you have flying clamps or glide bar clamps that are not dedicated to one side a starting clamp is not necessary.

Of course! I don't see glide bar clamps who can arrive both sides so often. Which machines have them? I tought pacific have some models, am i right? And with flying clamps ofcourse, but like i said i use my flying clamp as starting clamp.

Irvin
02-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Of course! I don't see glide bar clamps who can arrive both sides so often. Which machines have them? ...

NEOS 1000 and Eagnas machines.