PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012

737Capt
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Anyone play with the racquet yet? The reviews seem very good and I like the graphics a lot. Have not heard anyone really talking about it though.

Teski
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I've demoed it a couple of times from my local shop and I really like it! It's super solid with a lot of power, but I felt like it was good controlled power. With a nice smooth swing I've been getting great pace and depth on my shots, and I've even really liked it up at the net. I'm a 3.5+ baseliner with a SW FH and a 2H BH. I hit with some spin but not wicked spin.

I tend to play a lot of matches against my wife, and her comments after both times playing is "why are you hitting much harder today?" I haven't been swinging any harder so I know I'm getting a little extra help.

The racket is definitely stiff, but didn't seem to bother my arm. The stiffness can be felt when hitting but it doesn't cause bad vibrations. It was strung with NY on the mains and Hurricane Feel on the crosses.

Consequently, I'm getting on from my local shop when they arrive.

Hope that helps some. I'm not as techie on tennis gear as many here.

Torres
02-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I must be getting old but a small part of me is tempted to demo it - even though its the complete opposite of what I'm used to and its everything I've never wanted in a racquet (big headsize, wide beam, loads of power, 16x19 etc). I guess that free power and massive hoop is kinda of tempting when you turn up on court after a long day, tired and with no energy....

I thought the previous blue GT version was pretty tinny and lacked pinpoint control. Anyone know if this new black version has improved on that?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=411654&page=2

Teski
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I thought the previous blue GT version was pretty tinny and lacked pinpoint control. Anyone know if this new black version has improved on that?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=411654&page=2

The PDR did not feel tinny at all..Felt solid and very stable. I also really liked the level of control I was able to get with it. My drop shots were right where I wanted them as were my volleys. Coming from a bit lighter stick with lower SW, it took me a little bit to dial in my timing with the heft, but nothing too bad.

SpinLikeRafa
02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Absolutley must buy this racket. I have had it about a month now and the review is spot on.... couldn't ask for a better racket

richsox
02-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Very solid. Rocket launcher indeed. Feels more solid than the PDGT - and access to spin is insane!

I bought the std Pure Drive, but am emoing the PDR + -- ACE city

BPeeps
02-03-2012, 07:50 AM
I was playing with the previous PDR GT and loved that one. I was thinking that it would simply be an updated paint job with marketing gimmicks and that there wouldn't be much difference.

Anyway, my first observation is that I feel like I have more "feel" to my shots....it also seems a bit softer, if that makes sense. Definitely feel like there's more spin to my shots as well.

In short, I love the new version! I believe the review is spot on.

737Capt
02-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Absolutley must buy this racket. I have had it about a month now and the review is spot on.... couldn't ask for a better racket

Are you playing with the standard PDR or the PDR GT?

737Capt
02-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm tempted to try this racquet but a little unsure whether to go with with the standard PDR or the longer GT. Any suggestions?

Ashanti
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm tempted to try this racquet but a little unsure whether to go with with the standard PDR or the longer GT. Any suggestions?

i second this

Jazzy
02-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I think the difference between the standard and + version is the ease of angles being hit from back in the court. It feels more solid than the previous version. I traded with my hitting partner that is also a 5.0 player & he liked it as well. He was playing with a 18 x 20 Wilson pro staff. It is a little tougher on a few close balls but being 30 I like the extra power!

Teski
02-03-2012, 08:21 PM

The SW on the plus is more than I want and it's going to be less maneuverable. Yes, the serves and forehands will be awesome, but I'm sticking with the standard PDR as I want the maneuverability.

Ashanti
02-04-2012, 01:12 AM
The SW on the plus is more than I want and it's going to be less maneuverable. Yes, the serves and forehands will be awesome, but I'm sticking with the standard PDR as I want the maneuverability.

I'm sure the serve with the standard will still be god like. i think the diffrence in serve and power is only seperated by a small margin between the to versions

richsox
02-04-2012, 03:39 AM
well, my demo time is over with the PDR +

My conclusion = I'll stick with the Pure Drive standard at standard length

737Capt
02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
well, my demo time is over with the PDR +

My conclusion = I'll stick with the Pure Drive standard at standard length

Is there a significant difference in serving between the two? You mentioned that is feels very solid, does that mean it feels very stiff? Thanks for your help!

richsox
02-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Is there a significant difference in serving between the two? You mentioned that is feels very solid, does that mean it feels very stiff? Thanks for your help!

To be fair my demo has been the plus version of the PDR and I feel the awkwardness of having that extra half inch on ground strokes negates any advantage in serving.

My opponent told me he noticed zero difference on my pace between the std pd and the PDR plus on serves.

Funny thing is that I feel the std feels slightly stiffer, yet for me provides better control and still delivers on serving.

I noticed a bit of twining in my shoulder from using the PDR plus which I always noticed when demoing that stick on previous version. Maybe the extra 15 grams or higher swing weight doesn't suit me.

I will stick with my regular pure drive no doubt about it.

zoobears
02-05-2012, 09:52 AM
I've been playing around with the:
AG100 = fun and easy to rally and serve with, but hard in matches - not playing with it right now because the poly strings are dead.

Blade tour = super fun, it's probably my favourite racquet, but again - dead poly strings at 60 (what a mistake). not bothered to change them yet.

6.1.tour - i've always wanted this racquet. good in all areas, but really tires me out (which isn't really an issue).

so after some club juniors started making the claim that my shots aren't as hard as before, i decided that i needed some help...

Demoed the PD and the new PDR.
Didn't like the PD very much. too light and flimsy.

PDR is just better for me in all areas. heavier and more stable. haven't really felt the stiffness issues that seems to plague other players with this racquet.

after about 6-7 hours... i have to say that the pdr is so easy to play with. you can really just block serves back with minimal effort. I loved the ground strokes, although strangely, my usually super consistent forehand became inconsistent and my inconsistent backhand became super consistent. My hitting partners all noticed this too.

Serves were super powerful when I got them in, but it was easy to spray out. So powerful.

It's much easier to generate spin on this racquet than the ones I'm used to, so it was fun in that sense. However, I found it harder to put pace on the ball = spinny shots that floated to the base line. couldn't really pound those balls the way I like. I began joking around later on in the day by playing nadals overhead forehand swings... it's fun, but ultimately unsatisfying. When I was running for shots at the baseline, and hitting approach shots, all i was thinking about was how much spin i need to generate in my swing to keep the ball in play = never thinking about pounding the ball.

Swapped with my friends blx 95 and immediately I felt that I could swing harder and speed the ball up without worrying. My friend noticed too and said that the PDR was good for me, but that I couldn't pull off shots with the PDR as I could with the blx 95....

PDR is comfortable and easy, but you gotta be a bit tentative with it. I imagine that I'd play with this kind of racquet when I'm a little older.

zoobears
02-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Also, it was easier in match play because I didn't really need much technique to send the ball back in play. often I found myself playing shots that I knew I wouldn't have been able to with the racquets I usually play with. Bad footed+bad positioned shots with small swings. = I think I'd definitely become a worse player in terms of footwork and positioning if I used this stick.

Ashanti
02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Ok so i got to demo both versions last night. Let me say this isnt just a pj it actually feels different from the gt versions. my main goal in hitting with the PDR AND THE PDR+ version was to see the difference in power n ground strokes&serve if any at all. and i found the power was the same from both the only thing to me the plus version did better was getting to low balls. So basically if deciding between these rackets i think it comes down to your forehand technique and how you swing if you like to whip the racket through the ball the plus version isnt for you as it takes abit more time too bring around then the standard. but my partner plays with 2 hands off both sides so he enjoyed the plus version obviously if you have a 2handed forehand extended length is always the way to go but over all the PDR is fast power game. And the PDR+ works best for long strokes you definatly need setup up time to avoid jamming

tennisnut09
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I've been playing around with the:
AG100 = fun and easy to rally and serve with, but hard in matches - not playing with it right now because the poly strings are dead.

Blade tour = super fun, it's probably my favourite racquet, but again - dead poly strings at 60 (what a mistake). not bothered to change them yet.

6.1.tour - i've always wanted this racquet. good in all areas, but really tires me out (which isn't really an issue).

so after some club juniors started making the claim that my shots aren't as hard as before, i decided that i needed some help...

Demoed the PD and the new PDR.
Didn't like the PD very much. too light and flimsy.

PDR is just better for me in all areas. heavier and more stable. haven't really felt the stiffness issues that seems to plague other players with this racquet.

after about 6-7 hours... i have to say that the pdr is so easy to play with. you can really just block serves back with minimal effort. I loved the ground strokes, although strangely, my usually super consistent forehand became inconsistent and my inconsistent backhand became super consistent. My hitting partners all noticed this too.

Serves were super powerful when I got them in, but it was easy to spray out. So powerful.

It's much easier to generate spin on this racquet than the ones I'm used to, so it was fun in that sense. However, I found it harder to put pace on the ball = spinny shots that floated to the base line. couldn't really pound those balls the way I like. I began joking around later on in the day by playing nadals overhead forehand swings... it's fun, but ultimately unsatisfying. When I was running for shots at the baseline, and hitting approach shots, all i was thinking about was how much spin i need to generate in my swing to keep the ball in play = never thinking about pounding the ball.

Swapped with my friends blx 95 and immediately I felt that I could swing harder and speed the ball up without worrying. My friend noticed too and said that the PDR was good for me, but that I couldn't pull off shots with the PDR as I could with the blx 95....

PDR is comfortable and easy, but you gotta be a bit tentative with it. I imagine that I'd play with this kind of racquet when I'm a little older.

It is nice review. Thanks!

tennisnut09
02-05-2012, 02:32 PM
How is the SW? TW = 328, other places list at 314, 315, 318....Can you compare the SW to some other rackets that you have played with. Thank you!

tennisnut09
02-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Sorry, I am asking about the PDR.

Torres
02-05-2012, 03:56 PM
couldn't really pound those balls the way I like. I began joking around later on in the day by playing nadals overhead forehand swings... it's fun, but ultimately unsatisfying. When I was running for shots at the baseline, and hitting approach shots, all i was thinking about was how much spin i need to generate in my swing to keep the ball in play = never thinking about pounding the ball.

That's pretty similar to my experiences of the PD v 6.1. With the latter you always feel that you can take a big rip at the ball and be accurate with it. I love the fact that you can grind all day with the PD (and probably the PDR as well) and that everything's so easy, but with with the PD, I always got that sense that the ball's going to spray either side of where you're aiming. I really don't know how Cljisters and the pro mob hit so accurately with it. I also found that on groundstrokes it turned my flat hitting game into a loopier game with balls from the forehand having much more of an arc / higher trajectory over the net.

What string were you using in the PDR?

Dgdavid
02-06-2012, 02:13 AM

This in a nutshell describes exactly how I feel about 'power' rackets but have not been able to explain too well! A powerful racket has to be feathered and throttled back so you can often get more in-game real power with a control racket you can really swing full and confidently with. Nice review.

Torres
02-06-2012, 02:58 AM
^ Or use a low powered, low spin poly eg. Silverstring. That stick will also kill polys in no time at all.

The PDR is like an exotic 'femme fatale' type woman. You know it's going to be bad for you but it's still hard to resist...

SteveI
02-06-2012, 03:15 AM
That's pretty similar to my experiences of the PD v 6.1. With the latter you always feel that you can take a big rip at the ball and be accurate with it. I love the fact that you can grind all day with the PD (and probably the PDR as well) and that everything's so easy, but with with the PD, I always got that sense that the ball's going to spray either side of where you're aiming. I really don't know how Cljisters and the pro mob hit so accurately with it. I also found that on groundstrokes it turned my flat hitting game into a loopier game with balls from the forehand having much more of an arc / higher trajectory over the net.

What string were you using in the PDR?

Hey Torres,

Have you ever seen Kim... play a complete match with her PD? Her game comes and goes and she sprays balls all over the place at times.. and then gets it back on track. She hits the ball a bit too flat at times.. AND IT SEEMS EVEN A PRO can't help but spray balls with that stick,,, :-)

Bartelby
02-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Kim does use gut!

Chyeaah
02-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Kim does use gut!

Clijsters is using gut as well (full)!? She must be stringing it high. I know Williams is using gut but thats in a lower powered closed pattern frame.

Yourtenniscoach
02-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Hey Torres,

Have you ever seen Kim... play a complete match with her PD? Her game comes and goes and she sprays balls all over the place at times.. and then gets it back on track. She hits the ball a bit too flat at times.. AND IT SEEMS EVEN A PRO can't help but spray balls with that stick,,, :-)

Playing with this stick is definitely dancing with the devil... it has it's moments of fun but it also has its moments of frustration.

Dgdavid
02-06-2012, 06:32 AM
it has it's moments of fun but it also has its moments of frustration. You have just described tennis. Especially mine!

SteveI
02-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Playing with this stick is definitely dancing with the devil... it has it's moments of fun but it also has its moments of frustration.

Perfect way to voice playing with the PD..:-). Great post!!

dkent
02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I was just wondering what tension most people tryed this racquet with. I usually play with a Head extreme pro strung at 58 lbs w/ a polygut hybrid. I am thinking of swapping to this racquet as it has a bit faster swing weight, but I just want to know if my usaual tension would be enough to keep it from launching the ball like you all mention.

Teski
02-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I was just wondering what tension most people tryed this racquet with. I usually play with a Head extreme pro strung at 58 lbs w/ a polygut hybrid. I am thinking of swapping to this racquet as it has a bit faster swing weight, but I just want to know if my usaual tension would be enough to keep it from launching the ball like you all mention.

The demo I've been using has NY in the mains at 58 and Hurricane Feel in the crosses at 56 and it doesn't feel like a rocket launcher to me. Sure I can wail them out if I over swing, but that's the case with any of the lighter tweeners too. I personally love the control I'm getting with the demo so I can't wait to get it with strings I prefer.

Nostradamus
02-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Perfect way to voice playing with the PD..:-). Great post!!

Got my Demos of PD 2012 and PD plus 2012 today. been just bouncing a few balls here and there and YES, the Swingweight definitely does seem lower. Not sure yet, if i will feel the same after actual hitting session. but i will post a review sometime this weekend. :) Feels really good out of the box. Demos are strung with Addiction. hope that doesn't mess up the playtest. I usually use BB or alu power rough.

dkent
02-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I was probably going to use rpm blast and vs in this one does that seem like a good fit

Nostradamus
02-07-2012, 04:08 AM
I was probably going to use rpm blast and vs in this one does that seem like a good fit

Yes. Perfect combo if you can afford gut. rpm blast goes dead too quickly and it seem to me like little bit of waste. but play wise, it should be just right.

Ashanti
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
TW actually gave the standard PDR the most points on serve only by 1 point as the PDR+ got 88 and the PDR got a 89 inetresting and overall standard length PDR got highest score of all pure drives

srvnvly
02-08-2012, 05:54 AM
3 sets of doubles and 1 set of singles last night - this racquet is, to borrow a phrase from my teenager, 'beast'! The power is amazing and I was able to back down a guy (with my serve) who can routinely use my pace and return it with both precision and pace. I think I found a replacement for my BAPDGT.

737Capt
02-08-2012, 06:06 AM
3 sets of doubles and 1 set of singles last night - this racquet is, to borrow a phrase from my teenager, 'beast'! The power is amazing and I was able to back down a guy (with my serve) who can routinely use my pace and return it with both precision and pace. I think I found a replacement for my BAPDGT.

Where you playing with the standard or the GT model?

PrinceMoron
02-08-2012, 08:58 AM
The GTR+ sings, or at least whistles, so I know the tip is moving faster than the standard length, which tells me it is easier to get round, not slower.

srvnvly
02-08-2012, 09:09 AM
737Capt - I am demoing the new Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012 standard racquet (GT). I currently use the Aro Pro Drive GT version, with which I have a love/ hate relationship.

tennisnut09
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
737Capt - I am demoing the new Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012 standard racquet (GT). I currently use the Aro Pro Drive GT version, with which I have a love/ hate relationship.

How does the PDR 2012 play with x-1 biphase 17? Thanks!

Torres
03-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Had a very quick swing of the PDR at the practice court behind my local tennis shop. This thing is a beast. Very solid, but feels like there's alot of distribution of mass in the hoop, and very noticeably 'head heavy' compared to what I'm used to.

Yourtenniscoach
03-01-2012, 07:59 AM
How does the PDR 2012 play with x-1 biphase 17? Thanks!

I'm guessing it plays great. I've not hit too many frames with X-1 but every time I've hit with that string its been great

ArliHawk
03-01-2012, 08:18 AM

What's the source of the love/hate aspect?

I use the APDGT and just love it.

Power Player
03-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Had a very quick swing of the PDR at the practice court behind my local tennis shop. This thing is a beast. Very solid, but feels like there's alot of distribution of mass in the hoop, and very noticeably 'head heavy' compared to what I'm used to.

That's cool you have a practice court at your shop!

I really love the PDR, but I think the regular PD plus is a better option because you can customize it more. It also may have a little more flex to it. the PDR is a 12 ounce stick and obviously can get pretty heavy if you need to rebalance or mod it.

It is so powerful that if you go too heavy you risk losing too much racquet head speed and hitting long. I am trying to hit with a little less depth because I start pinging the line with heavier sticks, and that usually means Im going to make UE's after a while.

But the PDR is a beast for sure.

Korso
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I love this raquet! It is easy to play with and does everything well for every where on the court. I am still looking for the perfect string set up with this racquet and my game though...

Murrayalmagrofan
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I normally string my racquets with Luxilon BB 16L. Has anyone tried that in this racquet? Would it be too powerful?

I've tried the older version PDR as well as an AeroPD with Luxilon BB and they both played great.

Power Player
03-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Wanted to add that in more time with this stick (pd+) I have found the control to be incredible compared to what I thought. I am coming from the 6.1 and was worried about losing control but I am hitting more accurately than ever with RIP at 59#s and with the other one that has Iontec at 45#s.

Nostradamus
03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Wanted to add that in more time with this stick (pd+) I have found the control to be incredible compared to what I thought. I am coming from the 6.1 and was worried about losing control but I am hitting more accurately than ever with RIP at 59#s and with the other one that has Iontec at 45#s.

Would RPM blast or Luxilon BB work well with PD 2012 ? I am still loving this stick with Dead Addiction demo string in it. I am buying one or two for sure but was going to wait til i test the new Yonex Vcore speeds that is coming out. Not sure if i should pull the trigger now or what ?

Power Player
03-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I hit with RPM blast in the demo and it was nice. Not my thing because I want to go easy on my arm, but definitely a good matchup.