PDA

View Full Version : Head pallets

J.Lee42
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Hi, does anyone know if its normal to have to trim brand new head pallets? I bought a few from TW Europe and was wondering because its a lot longer than the one thats on my ytk prestige mp now. If so, any tips on the best way to cut them?

movdqa
02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Yes, it's normal. They have to accommodate XL frames.

Be very careful as it's easy to take a chunk off if you're doing it in the air. I think that a sharp blade on a table can avoid taking a chunk off at separation.

J.Lee42
02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the reply! Also, is it required to use staple gun to keep the butt cap in place? or is there any alternate method? i don't own a staple gun so...

movdqa
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I use very small nails as I don't own a staple gun either. I do own office staplers but those don't work on buttcaps.

Some folks use adhesives to hold it in place but I prefer small nails.

aimr75
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
The way I did it was to put one of the pallets on the handle, hold it in place on the edge of a table and use a fine tooth hack saw. Repeat with the next pallet. Gives a clean finish. I also just used a mini stapler for the butt cap. Never had an issue with these. Staples very easily and is secure

J.Lee42
02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
would super glue work?

aimr75
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
would super glue work?

only if you never want to take that butt cap off ever again.. staples are better as they are removable.. with head butt caps, the plastic on the ends are fairly thin and a stapler works fine

aimr75
02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I do own office staplers but those don't work on buttcaps.

I have used a mini stapler on my 57a's and have also used it for the newer head butt caps without a problem..

something like this

http://images.shopletcdn.com/productimages/300x300/MXBHD10DFLDKGY_1_1.JPG

neverstopplaying
02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I use a hack saw too.

Then I wrap the pallet in 3m double sided tape.

As for the butt cap, small staples, however I read from another poster that tightly wrapped tape can also be used. If this works, it's got to be the easier than staples.

jim e
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM
would super glue work?

Never use super glue, as you will not get it off again.
Even though you think that you will not take the butt cap off, if you have an older butt cap that does not have the little trap door to open, and if you ever replace a single grommet with a grommet grinder, there may be a time where a part of that grommet falls into the frame, and you would need to remove the butt cap to remove those little grommet pieces.

Just use a small tack and tap it in if you do not use a staple gun.

I use a hack saw to cut the pallet to proper size as well. I just mark where to cut with a fine point sharpie pen and then cut along the marked line.

J.Lee42
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I have used a mini stapler on my 57a's and have also used it for the newer head butt caps without a problem..

something like this

http://images.shopletcdn.com/productimages/300x300/MXBHD10DFLDKGY_1_1.JPG

does this use normal staples? or mini ones?

Centryx
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
hey Jim e if you did happen to use super glue couldn't you use a heat gun to free the adhesive up?

jim e
02-03-2012, 05:43 AM
hey Jim e if you did happen to use super glue couldn't you use a heat gun to free the adhesive up?

Never had to free up super glue before, so I really could not answer your question.I just thought since there are other alternatives then there is no reason for the super glue in this case.
Let me know if heat gun does free it up, I guess it would be nice to know.
I have used a heat gun to free up the pallets then pry them apart, but never for super glue.

aimr75
02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
does this use normal staples? or mini ones?

I used one with mini staples