PDA

View Full Version : Not real confident on knots

jswinf
02-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Since I string infrequently, maybe once a month, I kind of have to relearn stuff each time, at least to a point.

I like the Parnell knot, I've watched the videos and diagrams, and I'm pretty sure I know how to do it, but: sometimes when I'm tightening it I feel like I just have a half-hitch around the anchor string with no real relationship to the other loop I'm pulling on, and I think it looks weird, and I do it over a half-dozen times and go look at a diagram, and worry about having the string clamped too long, and finally just tie one and pull it tight and it seems OK. I just reviewed a short video of Irvin's where he points out that the Parnell knot is really just an overhand knot, so maybe I'm not crazy? :confused:

It seems difficult to make sure the part of the string being tied off that's "outside" the racket--like from the last string to the tie-off hole--is tight. I don't want to leave more slack there than I have to, but trying to pull that tight while tightening the knot was mostly what made me think my Parnell knot was wacky.

Probably nobody else ever has a problem with this. :oops:

Irvin
02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Lots of people have problems with drawback. Here is a video that may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIEi_wrNo4&feature=plcp&context=C3d80654UDOEgsToPDskI2epXHlAwuYHelAs9y96J4

Also if you use flying clamps the twisting action of the clamps creates more drawback. I have found if you use both clamps on the outside string it will stop a lot of that twisting, but then you need a starting clamp to hold the other side and free up your second clamp.