PDA

View Full Version : Pure storm GT Customizing. Coin & lead tape questions.

aerivus
02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Yes, I'm beating the poor dead horse again. I have searched extensively on TW and still have some questions.. Never done this before either.

So yes, I have Bab Pure Storm GT 2011 which is said to be 1 pt head light. What I am trying to do is to make this 4~7 HL and see how much HL i want it to be.

First, before customizing, I'd thought I would use TW customizing tool and see exactly how much weight i need to put on the handle to make it around 5 HL (at here http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php).

But when I entered Pure storm's specification and it says 5 pt HL to begin with, which is not correct at all. So I'm disregarding that tool and just experimenting taking couple swings each time and see how i like it. I wonder why it is like this though.

Before I take off the replacement grip I have on and put lead tape & leather grip on, I want to know how much weight i want to add. So I'm using coins (Dimes) in side the trap door to see roughly how much weight i want to put on.

I'm putting two dimes wrapped together on each hole (inside the trapdoor) directly against the wall that separate the two holes. I heard that if they are directly against a part of racquet, they might cause harmful vibration for the racquet, is it true?

Then when i find the ideal weight do I need to take off the buttcap in addition to the replacement grip? When I put the lead tape directly on the pallet, where exactly do I do it? It'd be really helpful if there is a picture, but i haven't found one. Without taking the buttcap off, should i put it on the pallet straightly along bevels?

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you very much!

Racer41c
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Well I filled the hollow tubes with silcone and wrap the dime with a piece of tape. But I didn't like the result so instead I wrapped about 4g of lead on the base of the handle just above the bump in the butt cap. I like a more gradual bump (dunlop) so this works for me.

So why the headlight? This racquet plays much better with more overall mass. Mine weigh in at 330. If you put lead in the loop, I suggest at the top for power or 10/2 for a general increase in mass.

aerivus
02-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Since i would hate to take off buttcap and put it on again, I guess i would try to put the lead on the handle above the buttcap or on the buttcap like you did.

What do you mean by "wrapped?" Instead of putting it horizontally (alongside the bevels) did you put in so that it goes diagonally to the bevels? Literally wrapped around the buttcap 360?

The reason I'm making it more head light with lead/leather/over grip is because i want some more maneuverability. I love the racquet but I just can't whip it so easily. By making it more head light I'm hoping it would have just as much power spin but easier/faster swing.

I'm also thinking about putting lead on 2/10 to raise the sweetspot(?). Even though i do not have any problem with the sweet spot as it is right now, i guess by putting around 2/10 i can increase stability as well.

Afterall, i have never customized a racquet before so its just a big experiment. Anyhow, when i put lead on 12 or 2/10, do i put it under headguard/grommet when i get the racquet restrung? or just inside part of the beam?

aerivus
02-04-2012, 01:25 PM
So, I got to hit with my pure storm gt with 10g in the trapdoor with coins. I absolutely loved the maneuverability I was getting.

I might as well put up around 12g to make it more HL roughly around 5 pt. I have Babolat leather grip and a lead tape at my hands. Where on the handle should I put the lead?

I don't have one of those stable guns, so I'm not comfortable taking off the buttcap to put the lead underneath. If i were to put it just above the buttcap vertically along the bevels, would it make uneven bumps on my replacement grip?

If i were to do that, I'm planning to put some head tape to cover the lead so it won't leak through the leather grip or anything.

If you know any other place on the handle that makes the racquet head light, please give me some recommendation. Thank you.

Racer41c
02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
What do you mean by "wrapped?" Instead of putting it horizontally (alongside the bevels) did you put in so that it goes diagonally to the bevels? Literally wrapped around the buttcap 360?

Yes, exactly. On the butt cap just above the knob.

So, essentially your creating your own Pure Storm Limited.

aerivus
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
So, essentially your creating your own Pure Storm Limited.

Kind of. It would be a few grams lighter and a few point head heavier. Plus since it is 98cm^2 and open string pattern, more spin friendly. Probably more like a pure storm lighter, head heavier version.

I guess i will have to measure the circumference of the buttcap first and figure out how many times i need to wrap around in order to get to like 6g.

Thank you! I will consider this option along with putting it along the bevels just above the buttcap

Muppet
02-04-2012, 05:57 PM
On an Aerogel 200, I wrap a strip around the grip 1.2" up from the bottom of the handle. This adds just over 0.1 oz. I balance this by adding 1" of lead inside the bottom of the throat. That softens the throat flex a little, but I prefer it that way.

Muppet
02-04-2012, 06:00 PM
I like this racquet customization tool alot better.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php