PDA

View Full Version : The brand new wilson 6.1 team 16x18

Power Player
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I did not see much info on this stick. As a 6.1 16x18 user i am intrigued.

As of right now, tw does not have it posted, but twe does.

They claim it is 10.9 unstrung, 338 sw, 9 pts hl balance, 67 flex.

People demoing the black tw test version said 10.9 strung, balance of 2-3 pgs hl.

Most said it played great for being so light.

Anyone played the official version yet? Love to see how it compares to the mighty 6.1 95.

Vasuri
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
The racquet on teh TWE site is simply labeled as Wilson 6.1 95 BLX (309). Not at all sure on this, but I suspect that is the "Asian" version of the racquet (though now obviously also sold in Europe). The Asian version is 309 unstrung, swingweight should probably be in the 326 -328 region, stiffness 67. Details on TWE website match this except for the swingweight.

The 6.1 95 team version weights 289 gr unstrungs, 305 strung and is 1 pt HL according to Wilson's own website.

DEH
02-03-2012, 03:14 AM
Here is the TW specs. I am interested in this racquet for my daughter. She has not played with it yet.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-WSOT.html

Power Player
02-03-2012, 05:29 AM
The racquet on teh TWE site is simply labeled as Wilson 6.1 95 BLX (309). Not at all sure on this, but I suspect that is the "Asian" version of the racquet (though now obviously also sold in Europe). The Asian version is 309 unstrung, swingweight should probably be in the 326 -328 region, stiffness 67. Details on TWE website match this except for the swingweight.

The 6.1 95 team version weights 289 gr unstrungs, 305 strung and is 1 pt HL according to Wilson's own website.

Ahh..that asian version is awesome. It is what the team should be.

Looks like the US version needs more lead.

BobFL
02-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Hey 2P, I was one of the people who playtested it. It played absolutely awesome with full alu. Serves were amazing. The weakest point for me was slice. Great great frame...

bertrevert
02-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Hey 2P, I was one of the people who playtested it. It played absolutely awesome with full alu. Serves were amazing. The weakest point for me was slice. Great great frame...

:? please provide the link http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6147644&highlight=bobfl#post6147644

bertrevert
02-05-2012, 01:07 AM
these were in the blacked out playtest thread

another one
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6141003&postcount=81

and
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6147144&postcount=99

bertrevert
02-05-2012, 02:02 AM
last ones I coulf find in the playtest thread

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6152306&postcount=137

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6194507&postcount=252

bertrevert
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey I got this advice today.

"Wilson released the 2012 version as an 18x20 model for Canada and Europe only.

I don't know the exact reason for the change. I have a
feeling the 16x18 did not sell well in the US and they decided to go in a different direction.

The 18x20 did great in Canada, so I am happy that they didn't change it for us this year."

So, only in the US can you get this 16x18 version of the BLX six one Team - is that correct?

tlm
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Ahh..that asian version is awesome. It is what the team should be.

Looks like the US version needs more lead.

Exactly PP i would love to demo the asian version of this racket.

SFrazeur
02-26-2012, 07:02 PM
They need to split the difference and make it 16x20 or 18x18. :D

I did hit with the K Factor version of the TEAM w/18x20 and thought it was a great racquet with a nice blend of power and control. For a Wilson the 18x20 string spacing was open enough top generate a good amount of spin. The spacing on the regular 6.1 18x20 is a lot more dense.

-SF

bertrevert
02-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I had a K6.1 16x18 and though it was too heavy and stiff for my puny frame nevertheless I got maximum fun out of the 16x18 stringbed - in a 95 it was brilliant.

It seems US is the only place with the 16x18 variant...?

bertrevert
02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
A stringbed of 16x18 in a 95 is a good thing for more spin.

The weight of a bigger brother 6.1's is not to be found in the Team version, true, so there's less plough-thru, but there's still more spin.

The 18x20 blx was low-powered, I guess a more closely spaced stringbed offers less power because there is less snap back by those more densely-packed strings?

A friend has one and he has to swing big on everything.

However the power map of the new one (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?WSOT)shows a very generous stringbed with good access to power and particularly in the sweetspot (with greater potential power than some other 100 sq in racquets) dropping off sharply of course to the edges (it's a 95) after all.

So does a 16x18 stringbed offer greater power due to... string spacing and the snapback effect?

etd
02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
It also seems that the balance of the new BLX 6.1 Team has changed from the previous version. The new one feels more headlight and accelerates through the hitting zone faster.

bertrevert
02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Hey hi etd

You made a comment here and over on the BLX Pro Open racquets thread as well - definitely the two racquets I am interested in and trying to find out more about.

It is difficult and expensive to test racquets here (no racquets in post, $10-15 per test) so I trawl racquet threads trying to find out.

Have you hit with the new Team in 16x18 or 18x20 version?

Amplifeel... I guess did it? Amplify the feel?

Power level - less than/more than the previous BLX version?

bertrevert
02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
The Team has as much power potential in its sweetspot than the BLX Prop Open (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=WSOT|95|Wilson|BLX:Six.On e:Team:(2012)|RCWILSON|x&racquetB=WPOB|100|Wilson|BLX:Pro:Open:(2012)|RCWIL SON|x&racquetC=none&racquetD=none)

a pretty amazing stat... leaves just the problem of middling the ball!

Power Player
02-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Actually from reading that the pro open is way more forgiving. I looked at those charts a few times and that is actually a pretty significant difference if you look past just the Middle sweet spot, which no on here hits over and over again. The worst way to read those charts is to just focus on that middle spot because it wont tell the whole story.

I definitley considered this stick, after all I did make the thread, but decided on the pro open in the end. The feel, power and control hooked me.

This stick and the tec 295 though...now that would be a tough decision!!!

bertrevert
02-29-2012, 12:32 AM
I definitley considered this stick, after all I did make the thread, but decided on the pro open in the end. The feel, power and control hooked me.

This stick and the tec 295 though...now that would be a tough decision!!!

Yeah agreed the way the power drops off away from the sweetspot is a pretty good indicator of where your technique better be - accurate.

Yeah I am considering the PropOpen (prev model) because I have been doing a stint with the Instinct and lo and behold have tennis elbow, after a bit of earlier shoulder pain as well. Ach, gotta watch those flex numbers too...

Well if the Pro Open offers just more of everything then that cannot be bad! Do you have a 1HBH? How is serving with it, do you get good racquet head speed? And if so, then why not with this the slightly lighter Team?

In other words what tipped the balance against the new Team for you?

Power Player
02-29-2012, 07:02 AM
I have a 2hbh. Serving with it is fantastic. Lots of nice power and spin. More than the Team.

My logic was if I was going to go light. I wanted to go big with power and headsize. I figured going back to a 100 would help with this. What tipped the balance was I shank less with the 100, and I get much more power that I can control with spin. the control of the Pro Open is excellent for being such a power baseliner's stick.

What sucks is the old version is now the same price almost as the new one.

This bums me out..I feel like I did this to myself by posting about the racquet..lol.

bertrevert
02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Surely The Team swings through the air faster than the Pro Open 100 and therefore is a better server?

Certainly all the playtesters in the links I gave above seem to agree agree that the Team is good on serve...

I'd agree that on the numbers the Pro Open offers larger margin for error and belts the ball from the baseline better.

Yet I wonder whether this latest 6.1 Team if strung low, let's say with gut, or some poly mains, wouldn't half deliver a fair bit of oomph.

PP, I'd imagine your demo came with naff strings, so I wonder if with a good string job this frame couldn't be made to sing louder!/!?! :)

Torres
02-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Yet I wonder whether this latest 6.1 Team if strung low, let's say with gut, or some poly mains, wouldn't half deliver a fair bit of oomph.

It would. Even with synthetic crosses and poly mains, pop improves considerably compared to full poly beds. A couple of grams of lead at the PWS and just above also improves things, without ruining the feel. A word of warning though - the more lead you add, and it starts moving away, very quickly from the feel and balance of the 'normal' 6.1 95.

dmcb101
03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Any updates on this frame. I am looking to demo it and was just wondering what everyones thoughts were.

Looks like these guys liked it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g__uMWx8dic

dmcb101
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
bump...?...........

bertrevert
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
They really really liked it didn't they.

Comparing to some of their other reviews (and given the caveat that they appear sponsored by Wilson) they couldn't really hide their enthusiasm I thought.

If we peer beyond their real (or sponsored) enthusiasm I think I see the racquets (both stringbeds variations) produce some very nice hitting - yes they're good players, but compared to their other sessions I think they only looked better with the full-blown 6.1's.

In other words the Team gave them a very solid hit - it looked like it did (hard struck volleys, plenty of power on the 1HBH).

dmcb101
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I did not even think they may b e sponsored by wilson. Thats a good observation. I think you are right though, they both seemed to like it a lot.

SFrazeur
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
I've seen all of Stringer's World Reviews. They are generally positive to all racquets. They say whether or not the racquets works for their game as well as listing what level and type of player it would work for.

-SF

dmcb101
03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah I got that impression as well. Anyone have anhy playing experience with this racquet? I would be coming from the N-tour which is similar in specs but I was just curious how it played as I have heard shady things about the previous blx six.one team. Any thoughts are appreciated!

bertrevert
03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
A friend bought the prev blx 6.1 Team the black one.

I had a hit and thought it very low-powered. I noticed it gave him very little spin, and required way too much of his game - he really couldn't pick up mid-court balls.

But he had the 18 x 20 which btw is the only variant sold here in Australia. So that is the only one I've tried. I recall the k-version of the Team being execrable.

I think if this new version finally shares any 6.1 DNA then taht is a good thing. That is what those reviewers seems to be saying - and if you watch the TW reviews of the full-blown heavy 6.1 you'll see Carol absolutely ripping with it and everyone pretty favourable about the "classic" feel of the racquet.

dmcb101
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I did not realize that you guys did not get the 16X18. I heard the same thing about the old team as well. I may be getting it this weekend so I will let you all know what I find. Any other comments are welcome

dmcb101
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Just got the racquet today to demo. I will be playing tomorrow and I will let you all know my impressions.

bertrevert
03-26-2012, 03:32 AM
ok great, what's yr current stick/setup?

dmcb101
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM
ok great, what's yr current stick/setup?

Ncode Tour (95) with a thin poly strung at 48 lbs. I am a 4.5 ex-college player.

bertrevert
03-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Ncode Tour (95) with a thin poly strung at 48 lbs. I am a 4.5 ex-college player.

You mean this one (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/REVIEWS/WNT/WNTReview.html)?

If so, then same here, I also have two kTours (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/REVIEWS/KTOURM/KTOURMReview.html).

If this is the same as you then it makes perfect sense to be looking at this new Wilson Team - definitely some similarities.

I cut my Tours down to standard length 27 inches. Done carefully and slowly removing the 0.25 inches was easy. I lost some swingweight, and some power, and probably some reach as well, however the racquet came alive for me and became more manouverable and responsive. Fast light manouverable 95s that punch above their weight to me spells good serving and being able to stay in the rallies against Babolat-blasting. That, I imagine is what this Wilson 6.1 Team represents when their power levels are compared (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=WSOT|95|Wilson|BLX:Six.On e:Team:(2012)|RCWILSON|x&racquetB=WNT|95|Wilson|nTour|RCWILSON|&racquetC=KTOURM|95|Wilson|KTour:MP|RCWILSON|&racquetD=none) the new Team compares favourably.

dmcb101
03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
You mean this one (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/REVIEWS/WNT/WNTReview.html)?

If so, then same here, I also have two kTours (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/REVIEWS/KTOURM/KTOURMReview.html).

If this is the same as you then it makes perfect sense to be looking at this new Wilson Team - definitely some similarities.

I cut my Tours down to standard length 27 inches. Done carefully and slowly removing the 0.25 inches was easy. I lost some swingweight, and some power, and probably some reach as well, however the racquet came alive for me and became more manouverable and responsive. Fast light manouverable 95s that punch above their weight to me spells good serving and being able to stay in the rallies against Babolat-blasting. That, I imagine is what this Wilson 6.1 Team represents when their power levels are compared (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=WSOT|95|Wilson|BLX:Six.On e:Team:(2012)|RCWILSON|x&racquetB=WNT|95|Wilson|nTour|RCWILSON|&racquetC=KTOURM|95|Wilson|KTour:MP|RCWILSON|&racquetD=none) the new Team compares favourably.

Yes that is the one. They are very similar and this is my review after my first hit.

GROUNDSTROKES: FH was nice and whippy and I had no trouble getting spin on the ball. Compared to my Ntours this racquet has a lighter SW so I found that I could get a little more spin on my balls. The plowthrough was a little less on this racquet which is to be expected as it is lower by about 15 g's. BH felt pretty much the same to me and I actually really liked it for slice especially when I was trying to pull a ball back cross-court when being pulled wide to my BH.

VOLLEYS:Volleys felt great and very solid. Funny thing was, I had it in my head that because it felt so manueverable I thought that it might be a bit flimsy in the hoop but I found that it was very solid even on hard struck balls.

SERVERS: Unfortunately I did not get to serve with this racquet as I am still doing some rehab for my shoulder. I will be able to serve by the end of this week though so at that point I plan on giving it a spin.

OVERALL: I can say right now that this is the kind of racquet for me. The plow on the regular six.one 95's is obviously better but it also weighs a ton more! I am a 4.5 player and am not afraid to say its okay to like a frame that is lighter and easier to swing. I know a lot of people really like the heavier players sticks but for me these type of racquets work great. Being on the shorter side (barely 5'9 and 145 lbs) I cannot swing a 12 oz 325+ SW racquet for a whole match. This racquet lets me take really fast cuts at the ball and with a little bit of lead I know this will be perfect. Overall, I like this racquet a lot.

BobFL
03-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Yes that is the one. They are very similar and this is my review after my first hit.

GROUNDSTROKES: FH was nice and whippy and I had no trouble getting spin on the ball. Compared to my Ntours this racquet has a lighter SW so I found that I could get a little more spin on my balls. The plowthrough was a little less on this racquet which is to be expected as it is lower by about 15 g's. BH felt pretty much the same to me and I actually really liked it for slice especially when I was trying to pull a ball back cross-court when being pulled wide to my BH.

VOLLEYS:Volleys felt great and very solid. Funny thing was, I had it in my head that because it felt so manueverable I thought that it might be a bit flimsy in the hoop but I found that it was very solid even on hard struck balls.

SERVERS: Unfortunately I did not get to serve with this racquet as I am still doing some rehab for my shoulder. I will be able to serve by the end of this week though so at that point I plan on giving it a spin.

OVERALL: I can say right now that this is the kind of racquet for me. The plow on the regular six.one 95's is obviously better but it also weighs a ton more! I am a 4.5 player and am not afraid to say its okay to like a frame that is lighter and easier to swing. I know a lot of people really like the heavier players sticks but for me these type of racquets work great. Being on the shorter side (barely 5'9 and 145 lbs) I cannot swing a 12 oz 325+ SW racquet for a whole match. This racquet lets me take really fast cuts at the ball and with a little bit of lead I know this will be perfect. Overall, I like this racquet a lot.

Pardon my question but - what racquet have you reviewed here?

Thanks...

bertrevert
03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Hey Bob, dmcb says in his post 30 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6422821&postcount=30) that he is getting the subject racquet of this thread to demo and that is his review...

bertrevert
03-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Good review, and thanks for putting it in your playing context - your level and characteristics.

More spin less plow, yes this from lower swingweight - I guess the flip side of this coin is that there is more room for customisation - but it's typically what happens. That can mean that putaway shots come back when against a player who moves well (y'v done everything right and put the ball in their backhand corner moving away yet they still get to the ball because it seems to sit there forever just spinning in the air!).

I like the idea that it slices well. This I think may mean it's a well balanced racquet and a thin but strong hoop is imparting real cut to the ball. Perhaps your volley feedback then backs this up because it didn't get pushed around. The hoop performs well. Does sound like it should therefore also go well on serve when it exhibits good control on slice and volley.

The regular 6.1 95s are great sticks - yet demanding. The 16 x 18 k6.1 just bullied the ball yet would just be too heavy after hours in the sun I found. The Team will be a good alternative if it doesn't lose any of that 6.1 feel, and doesn't get pushed around...

dmcb101
03-27-2012, 03:13 AM
Good review, and thanks for putting it in your playing context - your level and characteristics.

More spin less plow, yes this from lower swingweight - I guess the flip side of this coin is that there is more room for customisation - but it's typically what happens. That can mean that putaway shots come back when against a player who moves well (y'v done everything right and put the ball in their backhand corner moving away yet they still get to the ball because it seems to sit there forever just spinning in the air!).

I like the idea that it slices well. This I think may mean it's a well balanced racquet and a thin but strong hoop is imparting real cut to the ball. Perhaps your volley feedback then backs this up because it didn't get pushed around. The hoop performs well. Does sound like it should therefore also go well on serve when it exhibits good control on slice and volley.

The regular 6.1 95s are great sticks - yet demanding. The 16 x 18 k6.1 just bullied the ball yet would just be too heavy after hours in the sun I found. The Team will be a good alternative if it doesn't lose any of that 6.1 feel, and doesn't get pushed around...

I agree with all of that. I was playing against a fairly big hitter and I did not feel like I was getting pushed around so that bodes well for this racquet. I can tell you now that if I do get this racquet (I will be starting my job as a teaching pro in June and I will be endorsing Wilson so I will need a new stick from wilson's 2012 line) I will be adding just a little bit of weight, not much. I am not like most people on here who buy a frame for its lightness and then weigh it up to its heavier brothers specs, I think that is silly. But I can say that a little extra oomph in the hoop will do it wonders!

bertrevert
03-27-2012, 06:43 AM
I agree with all of that. I was playing against a fairly big hitter and I did not feel like I was getting pushed around so that bodes well for this racquet. I can tell you now that if I do get this racquet (I will be starting my job as a teaching pro in June and I will be endorsing Wilson so I will need a new stick from wilson's 2012 line) I will be adding just a little bit of weight, not much. I am not like most people on here who buy a frame for its lightness and then weigh it up to its heavier brothers specs, I think that is silly. But I can say that a little extra oomph in the hoop will do it wonders!

How would you rate the power you got out of it? Is it enough?

Obviously string setup can influence a heck of a lot and where you to use it you would fine-tune, yet underneath it all you perhaps can tell if its got enough oomph.

Have you ever tried a Prop Open ? (since obv we should talk Wilson if you are to endorse) That is the sort of racq that has all the power yet lacks the ball pocketing and smaller sweetspot that I look for and that I find communicates what on earth I am doing. I also find that it gave too much power that I couldn't control. Jeez it's a fine balance sometimes...

ps. am really enjoying some BiPhase 18 gauge @ 46 lbs crossed with some cheap syngut in my kTours. Wonder how nat gut in the Team would go?

BobFL
03-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Hey Bob, dmcb says in his post 30 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6422821&postcount=30) that he is getting the subject racquet of this thread to demo and that is his review...

He does, my bad.

Btw, I too playtested blacked-out 2012 6.1 Team :) I was very impressed...

dmcb101
03-27-2012, 08:03 AM
How would you rate the power you got out of it? Is it enough?

Obviously string setup can influence a heck of a lot and where you to use it you would fine-tune, yet underneath it all you perhaps can tell if its got enough oomph.

Have you ever tried a Prop Open ? (since obv we should talk Wilson if you are to endorse) That is the sort of racq that has all the power yet lacks the ball pocketing and smaller sweetspot that I look for and that I find communicates what on earth I am doing. I also find that it gave too much power that I couldn't control. Jeez it's a fine balance sometimes...

ps. am really enjoying some BiPhase 18 gauge @ 46 lbs crossed with some cheap syngut in my kTours. Wonder how nat gut in the Team would go?

I am using Pro's Pro Vendetta 18g at 47 lbs in the six.one team. For power I would say its good for the weight and SW but as I said before, I think that I would add a little weight just to give it that extra plowthrough. I think that it being so light it would be just fine when adding weight to the head so I am not all that worried to lose maneuverability. I have never tried the new Pro Open but I have used the older one and I was not a real big fan of it. I just seem to like the 95 in heads and relatively lighter racquets. Never played natural gut and personally I like the soft poly that I have.

dmcb101
03-27-2012, 08:05 AM
He does, my bad.

Btw, I too playtested blacked-out 2012 6.1 Team :) I was very impressed...

Yes, I really liked it too especially coming from the Ntour. I tried last years model of the team and I really did not like it because of the lower power. I think that opening up the string bed really helps with power and spin. I think it could use a little weight, not much, just to make it plow through the ball a bit more. Overall though I really liked it.

BobFL
03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Yes, I really liked it too especially coming from the Ntour. I tried last years model of the team and I really did not like it because of the lower power. I think that opening up the string bed really helps with power and spin. I think it could use a little weight, not much, just to make it plow through the ball a bit more. Overall though I really liked it.

I hear you. I was coming from 18x20 ~335-340grams racquets and I just couldn't believe how stable it felt. Eventually I added 2 x 1gram at 9 and 3 and it was just ridiculous how easy power came on serve.

dmcb101
03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I hear you. I was coming from 18x20 ~335-340grams racquets and I just couldn't believe how stable it felt. Eventually I added 2 x 1gram at 9 and 3 and it was just ridiculous how easy power came on serve.

Thats great. I just added a total of 8 grams @ 9&3 which has it at about 11.oz. I will play with it tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.

BC1
03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I just bought/traded for a new 6.1 team today. It's being strung now. And the crazy thing is, I haven't even demoed it yet. I have demoed the reg 6.1 95 and like everything about it but the weight, plus I used the old 6.1 blx team a while back and enjoyed that racquet a lot - just a little low on power. I'm predicting the new 16x18 string pattern will make it even better. Can't wait to try it!!

I traded my new pd2012 for the 6.1 team. I'm done with the stiff power tweeners. I'm also playing with the Rebel 98 and like that racquet a lot. I'm hoping the 6.1 team has some of the same characteristics of the Rebel 98 (control and feel plus some pop). Regardless, I think it will be fun to play around with.

BC1
03-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Played with the 6.1 team tonight. Liked it a lot. I can see where some might want to add some weight for stability and plow, but if you hit it in the center of the string bed it is not necessary - thats the key with this racquet. Power and control were good and it is comfortable - not too stiff, not too flexy. I liked serving with it the best. Spin and pace on serves where easy with this racquet.

It is similar to the rebel 98 in that it is a light weight player type frame. The rebel has more forgivess and power due to the additional weight and larger head size, control goes to 6.1 team, feel definitely goes to the team.

Overall I like it a lot and I think with more playing time it will only get better. I might toy with some lead, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms. I will weigh it tomorrow. Going by feel, i think it is already around 11.1 with overgrip and dampner, so it might be fine as is.

bertrevert
03-28-2012, 08:03 PM
I just bought/traded for a new 6.1 team today. It's being strung now. And the crazy thing is, I haven't even demoed it yet. I have demoed the reg 6.1 95 and like everything about it but the weight, plus I used the old 6.1 blx team a while back and enjoyed that racquet a lot - just a little low on power. I'm predicting the new 16x18 string pattern will make it even better. Can't wait to try it!!

I traded my new pd2012 for the 6.1 team. I'm done with the stiff power tweeners. I'm also playing with the Rebel 98 and like that racquet a lot. I'm hoping the 6.1 team has some of the same characteristics of the Rebel 98 (control and feel plus some pop). Regardless, I think it will be fun to play around with.

Woot!

Now that is a bit of an interesting reaction!

No not crazy, or at least if it's any support, I'm selling about 4 racqs in order to do the same. Like you I'll be ditching a PD-type racq in order to get with a punchy 95.

Am the same with regards to the weight of the full 6.1, now I know Carol from TW handles it like a dream, but the k6.1 while heavy was also stiff, and with full poly it hit a heavy ball but was also too heavy and too jarring.

I also tried the recent Instinct - also stiff and jarring. These tweener types are just too hard on the (older) elbow. And there's nothing like swinging full tilt with the smaller 95 head on 1HBH might I add.

(Background of using the Radical, Dunlop 300g etc and currently cut down Wilson nTour, kTours.)

Haven't tried the Rebel but is it basically a heavier Rad?

ANyway, in the videos so far the Team seems to handle light but solid. There are a few too many groundstrokes left short making me think players might need add some plow (with lead) and TW is aiming to add their own video review - so I think this is an interesting territory - I don't know what it means but it looks as if manufacturers might see a niche...

The way I see this niche is - light player's racquet but with additional power to match it with tweeners and just plain hard hitting.

John Kawasaki
03-28-2012, 08:22 PM
a really nice one for cheap may be found in the "for sale section" !

bertrevert
03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
a really nice one for cheap may be found in the "for sale section" !

Wrong grip for me (+ am overseas) - what didn't you like?

Prostaffer
03-29-2012, 07:12 AM
a guy in my league had one. hyrbid strung at 53 lbs and this thing felt solid! cannot believe the weight.

maybe the TW page swayed me, but the power on this thing was consistent throughout the whole string bed. really really impressed. of course i'm sure it has to do with my affinity for racquets with an even balance.

BC1
03-29-2012, 09:03 AM
EDIT - deleted post due to posting on wrong thread.

BC1
03-29-2012, 09:11 AM
a guy in my league had one. hyrbid strung at 53 lbs and this thing felt solid! cannot believe the weight.

maybe the TW page swayed me, but the power on this thing was consistent throughout the whole string bed. really really impressed. of course i'm sure it has to do with my affinity for racquets with an even balance.

Yes, the Team feels a lot heavier then it is. However, as in my case, I was lucky enough to get one that IS heavier then spec. With overgrip and dampner mine is 11.2 (perfect!). 10.9 strung. It is a very solid frame, but against heavy hitters you still need to hit that sweet spot.

dmcb101
03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
So I hit with the added 8 grams at 3&9 and I am not sure I liked it as much the regular stock racquet. The one shot that really was effected was my volleys, they were going wide and almost always long. After a while I was like "is it the racquet or are my volleys that off today"?

I decided to take off the weight and my volleys sure enough came back. I also noticed that when I tried to pull forehands cross court sharply I was having trouble with the added weight. After taking it off though I had no problems. To top it off, after the weight was taken off, I did not feel the stability go down all that much...

All that being said, I think that this racquet is best left stock OR when adding weight, keep the balance as it seems to perform best there. I really liked this racquet. I will be getting it for my teaching and playing. Very impressed.

What do you all think? Anyone add weight with great success? Interested in all of your thoughts as always!

Power Player
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I dont want to ecnourage too much racquetaholism (or DO I?hahahhaa), but if you demo this stick, try the Tecnifibre 295 next to it. they are both awesome.

Prostaffer
03-30-2012, 12:11 PM
i'm thinking some weight in the throat and at 12' o'clock might do the trick...

snoopy
03-30-2012, 07:28 PM
DMcB101, I'm also looking to move on from the Ntour. How does the flex of the 6.1 Team compare to the Ntour? Do you notice a lot more spin compared to the Ntour?

BC1, I'm really interested in any further comments you might have regarding the Rebel 98 vs the 6.1 Team. Those are 2 of the 3 racquets I plan on demoing.

BC1
03-31-2012, 11:11 AM
DMcB101, I'm also looking to move on from the Ntour. How does the flex of the 6.1 Team compare to the Ntour? Do you notice a lot more spin compared to the Ntour?

BC1, I'm really interested in any further comments you might have regarding the Rebel 98 vs the 6.1 Team. Those are 2 of the 3 racquets I plan on demoing.

Snoopy, i'm not sure yet. Need more play time with 6.1. I think the rebel 98 is more forgiving, more powerful, and a great all around racquet. So u would think that would make it an easy winner, but not necessarily. It seems I have more control and a better feel with the 6.1, and if you have the strokes the 6.1 has plenty of power. But you have to hit it in the center of the sweetspot. Serves are great with both. If i had to choose right now i think I would pick the rebel, but that may change. You really need to demo both.

bertrevert
03-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I dont want to ecnourage too much racquetaholism (or DO I?hahahhaa), but if you demo this stick, try the Tecnifibre 295 next to it. they are both awesome.

Yes I read that Racket-aholism thread - what can I say...interesting!

Comparing the power of the prev 295 (they don't have the power map for the cosmetic update but I would assume similar power) alongside this Team 6.1 returns the following stats (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=295VO2|95|Tecnifibre|TFig ht:295:VO2:Max|RCTFUSA|x&racquetB=WSOT|95|Wilson|BLX:Six.One:Team:(2012)|RC WILSON|x&racquetC=none&racquetD=none).

To my unqualified view that looks like the Team should deliver a little more.

While the sweetspot is small - hitting that sweetspot will be all the sweeter for it.

To my mind I would be stringing it 46lbs and lower, gut in the mains, or a multi. What setups have been used so far in this frame?

bertrevert
03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
I think the rebel 98 is more forgiving, more powerful, and a great all around racquet. So u would think that would make it an easy winner, but not necessarily. It seems I have more control and a better feel with the 6.1, and if you have the strokes the 6.1 has plenty of power. But you have to hit it in the center of the sweetspot. Serves are great with both. If i had to choose right now i think I would pick the rebel, but that may change. You really need to demo both.

Rebel does appear to deliver more power here (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=XO3R98|98|Prince|EXO3:Reb el:98|RCPRINCE|x&racquetB=WSOT|95|Wilson|BLX:Six.One:Team:(2012)|RC WILSON|x&racquetC=none&racquetD=none) over a greater area with more consistency - is that the right Rebel or did you mean the Rebel Team?

Anyway I like your feedback that serves are good - serve's my strongest stroke - because that bodes well of its manouverability, accuracy, sensitivity. Sometimes a racq is greater than the sum of its parts!

If you've used the Rebel in a competitive situation haev you used the 6.1 Team - that should sort the two out...

BC1
03-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Rebel does appear to deliver more power here (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=XO3R98|98|Prince|EXO3:Reb el:98|RCPRINCE|x&racquetB=WSOT|95|Wilson|BLX:Six.One:Team:(2012)|RC WILSON|x&racquetC=none&racquetD=none) over a greater area with more consistency - is that the right Rebel or did you mean the Rebel Team?

Anyway I like your feedback that serves are good - serve's my strongest stroke - because that bodes well of its manouverability, accuracy, sensitivity. Sometimes a racq is greater than the sum of its parts!

If you've used the Rebel in a competitive situation haev you used the 6.1 Team - that should sort the two out...

Yes, i was talking about the rebel 98. Both are very good on serves. I found them almost equal. I've only had the opportunity to play with the 6.1 team in one match and it was doubles, so not a good test. My results were so-so. Had some very good shots and some not so good. Consistency and pace were lacking but I think that would improve with time. I feel like i have more power with the rebel and that helps with confidence which usually translates into better playing. But i still need to give the 6.1 a fair chance and more play time.

Torres
04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Genuine question...why no love for the BLX Tour 95?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdUWjBYS9s&feature=related

Surely a similar sort of stick to the 6.1 95 Team, is it not?

bertrevert
04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Torres I totally agree. It is one powerful and versatile 95 that the earlier version of which Henin wielded to great effect (under the paintjob).

The 27.25 length of the Tour I find noticeable and have indeed cut off that extra quarter of an inch on the nTour and kTour versions I have.

I think I for one am expressing the desire to have one's cake and eat it too... I want the whip and manouverability of a 95 Team with the power of a tweener 100. And it seems manufacturers are getting more oomph out of the 95 frame, certainly if you can wield the 6.1 bigger brother you'll have power.

Tweeners feel sluggish and imprecise to me. I middle the ball just fine with a 95 consistently against hard hitters - so identifying these outliers such as the BLX Tour is what is trying to be done agreed.

There has to be a way to get more power out of a 95 than by heavier static weights and swingweights alone...

Hi I'm Ray
04-01-2012, 05:14 PM
So I hit with the added 8 grams at 3&9 and I am not sure I liked it as much the regular stock racquet. The one shot that really was effected was my volleys, they were going wide and almost always long. After a while I was like "is it the racquet or are my volleys that off today"?

I decided to take off the weight and my volleys sure enough came back. I also noticed that when I tried to pull forehands cross court sharply I was having trouble with the added weight. After taking it off though I had no problems. To top it off, after the weight was taken off, I did not feel the stability go down all that much...

All that being said, I think that this racquet is best left stock OR when adding weight, keep the balance as it seems to perform best there. I really liked this racquet. I will be getting it for my teaching and playing. Very impressed.

What do you all think? Anyone add weight with great success? Interested in all of your thoughts as always!

Did you counter balance? This frame has an almost even balance so the extra lead in the hoop probably made it headheavy and feel/handle too differently. With most frames that have some weight in the handle, adding a bit of lead to the head doesn't seem to have any drastic effects as long as it stays headlight.

dmcb101
04-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Not sure what the specs say about flex but I did not really notice much in difference in flex. I did notice a little bit more spin and I think that is due to the 16X18 string pattern and also the light swing of the racquet. The main thing that I noticed that was difference in the maneuverability; the six.one team felt a lot easier to maneuver.

I think that the balance on this racquet is great and when I get the racquet I will definitely keep that. I still think that it will need a little weight in the hoop just to beef it up a tiny bit but I can say that I liked it a lot at stock. When trying to add 8g's at 3&9 WITHOUT counter weighing I can say that I do not like it as much as at stock. That being said I think that maybe adding 4g's in the hoop and counterbalancing it would make it feel great just because it would still have the same balance.

If you are a ntour fan and would like something equally as powerful and control oriented with increased maneuverability I would certainly give this stick a go. To be honest I could easily see my self playing with both of these racquets!

dmcb101
04-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Did you counter balance? This frame has an almost even balance so the extra lead in the hoop probably made it headheavy and feel/handle too differently. With most frames that have some weight in the handle, adding a bit of lead to the head doesn't seem to have any drastic effects as long as it stays headlight.

Well the balance I think strung is like 1pt headlight but when I measured mine it was more like 2 or 3. When I added that 8gs to the head it still felt very easy to maneuver but the way it played was certainly not the same as it felt; I liked it stock way more. You are correct though in pointing out that counterbalancing would be beneficial. I wrote in an earlier post that if I add weight (which I probably will) I will certainly counterbalance to keep the balance the same.

Playing against a real heavy hitter I would say the added weight would almost be mandatory. I am a teaching pro so the extra weight would not be mandatory when teaching. I also play competitively though so adding weight would probably be needed for that. I can handle the tiny bit of extra weight so that is probably what I will do.

I want to stress that when I add weight it will be very little! A lot of people on these forums buy the light versions of racquets and lead them up to the heavier ones specs and then rave how great they are. To me that is silly because they should have just bought the heavier one and went with that. When I add weight to this stick, it will be very little just to make sure it can handle 100 mph + serves so it does not buckle under the force. Otherwise I want to keep it at around 10.7-11.0 ounces. Not sure how all you TW posters feel about this....

dmcb101
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Just curious for those of you who have 16/18 string patterns, did you notice a lot easier string breaking? I broke my 18g poly in like 8 hours of hitting. I actually like that this happens because I have my own stringer and I would rather have string break than go dead (especially with poly). The racquet is fairly light so I was thinking that it may be a bit harder to break strings but that was obviously not the case. Any thought?

Thanks guys/gals!

bertrevert
04-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I think I recall the k6.1 gained a reputation for string-munching...

un6a
04-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Aktually i thik 8 hour for 18g string in open pattern is pretty good. Most people would break it much faster.

dmcb101
04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking. I think 8 hours is pretty good.

bertrevert
04-23-2012, 03:29 AM
Ok got hold of a USA 16 x 18, whew. Test drive coming up...

Strung weight bang-on at 303 grams.

Even-balance, big open stringbed for a 95, feels solid, almost box beamed in places...

When held up against an old nTour the 6.1 Team has slightly thinner beam profile, more pronounced power-pads, wider hoop rather than elongated, and a tighter yoke.

Matte paint job is a better look...

dmcb101
04-23-2012, 07:41 AM
sweet. it is a good stick. i will be getting mine in june. what playing level would you say you are?

bertrevert
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
I cannot tell my USA level, as I have seen some woeful level advice on Youtube, what people claim has nothing to do with what I might observe in the video.

Aus level is A6 - would like to think this racquet will bam me up a notch - that's just a jolk folks.

Ok have just spent 2 hours prac hitting with it and an hour serving next day. Writing up impressions...

bertrevert
04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Ok this is a keeper.

I intend to make the Wilson 6.1 Team 16 x 18 my main squeeze.

Here's why...

Groundstrokes
It's already been said - surprisingly solid, the Team performs well in straightforward hard hit exchanges. Connecting in the large-ish (for a 95) sweetspot even blasted some corner-to-corner groundstrokes put the ball past my opponent's reaction time (been a long time since that happened).

Serves
I have a big(ish) serve that earns me. The Team, despite lack of mass, is true to your stroke. I don't believe it adds, but certainly if you have full wind-up and good form it'll deliver. I got some error correction too - the 16 x 18 open stringbed gave me that touch more spin to really hit the corners. Anyway it didn't wiffle.

Returns
I have a woeful returning game. Lack of mass usually means further trouble. However I was slicing T serves and bunting body serves ok. Again this racquet is surprisingly solid for its light weight.

Background
ATM I have nTour and kTours with 16 x 20 stringbed - again they are light 95's which it turns out is the racquet I tend to pursue.

In pursuing such racquets that I have recently tried the Speed 300 MP, the Head IG Instinct and Elite, and ... others.

This'll never be a racquet that a majority of makes will hit with I think because they can handle greater weight. I however cannot sustain much over the 320 gram mark and even then find that difficult. So getting down below 310, or in the case of this one, down to 303 grams has been an aim.

I hope this isn't just a honeymoon because I need to settle down...

dmcb101
05-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Ok this is a keeper.

I intend to make the Wilson 6.1 Team 16 x 18 my main squeeze.

Here's why...

Groundstrokes
It's already been said - surprisingly solid, the Team performs well in straightforward hard hit exchanges. Connecting in the large-ish (for a 95) sweetspot even blasted some corner-to-corner groundstrokes put the ball past my opponent's reaction time (been a long time since that happened).

Serves
I have a big(ish) serve that earns me. The Team, despite lack of mass, is true to your stroke. I don't believe it adds, but certainly if you have full wind-up and good form it'll deliver. I got some error correction too - the 16 x 18 open stringbed gave me that touch more spin to really hit the corners. Anyway it didn't wiffle.

Returns
I have a woeful returning game. Lack of mass usually means further trouble. However I was slicing T serves and bunting body serves ok. Again this racquet is surprisingly solid for its light weight.

Background
ATM I have nTour and kTours with 16 x 20 stringbed - again they are light 95's which it turns out is the racquet I tend to pursue.

In pursuing such racquets that I have recently tried the Speed 300 MP, the Head IG Instinct and Elite, and ... others.

This'll never be a racquet that a majority of makes will hit with I think because they can handle greater weight. I however cannot sustain much over the 320 gram mark and even then find that difficult. So getting down below 310, or in the case of this one, down to 303 grams has been an aim.

I hope this isn't just a honeymoon because I need to settle down...

Its really cool that there is someone out there who is looking for the same change. I too currently play with the ntours and I love them. The reason that I will be switching is because I will be starting my job as a teaching pro in june and I will be endorsing Wilson and I need to use a current frame (for selling purposes) I was thinking of just going to the newest addition of the tour line but decided to check out some other frames as I was not a huge fan of the tour line past my ntours. I also perform best with a light-ish racquet but also like the six.one line. That being said, those are just too heavy for me to swing over a period of a match as well as just feeding balls all day. I really enjoyed the team when I play tested it and I could not decide if I wanted to add weight to it or not. It felt very solid for its static weight but at times felt a little unstable on shots I really wanted to drive through. It is a great frame as is and I can see myself using it stock or with just a tiny bit of extra weight for finishing shots while still keeping close to the stock weight.

snoopy
05-01-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm thinking about trying the Team. It's interesting that we are all coming from the Ntour.

Do you guys miss the extra 1/4 inch on the Ntour? I doubt it, but I'm curious.

Bert did you ever try the Prince Exo3 Tour Team during your racquet search?

dmcb101
05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking about trying the Team. It's interesting that we are all coming from the Ntour.

I cant tell the 1/4 inch difference at all. I could tell the difference in SW though.

bkpr
05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Hello.

I'm looking for a lighter version of the BLX Blade 98 I purchased a few months ago. Since using the Blade I've developed a sore shoulder (weight 340g after 2x over grip and dampener).

The new (or old) team looks to be a good option. Has anyone tried the Blade 98 who can comment on the differences similarities of the two racquets? Reading this thread is steering me towards an impending purchase; sounds like it fits my bill!

I just need to get used to the idea of going back to 16x18

BC1
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Snoopy, 6.1 team and rebel 98 turned out to be more different then I thought. Rebel has more pop and power. Team is more precise control. Feel is completely different ss well. Team better on touch shots. Rehel is also a little easier and more forgiving. Team is a limitless more solid feeling hut lacks mass and therefore power. Both are very nice but I prefer the rebel due to the higher weight. If you are into customizing with lead then the team should be great.

With all of that said, I'm seriously thinking about giving the regular 6.1 95 2012 a try again. Demoed it again today and it was great. If I had the discipline to stick with it and work through the possible weight issues I think it would be a keeper. I was actually amazed at how User friendly it was. It seemed as forgiving and easy to play with *** the Pd. Granted this was only for a 30 minute session and obviously a honeymoon where everything seems to click. So not a real world test.

bertrevert
05-01-2012, 06:18 PM

I don't miss the 0.25 because... I cut it off anyway!

Yep I really noticed the extra quarter inch in matches, but not during practice, and so since I got the nTours KTours (3) cheap I cut them all down. Means I cannot sell them but pfft I will donate to charity shop, some kid may be benefit.

No sorry never been a fan of Prince racquets nor the port system.

(As soon as I hear Tour makes me think of the Dunlop 300g Tour I tried a long time ago for about all of a week - felt like a Prestige - no pop.)

The 6.1 Team - have you ever tried a full weight 6.1 95? I have the 16 x 18 k version. I tried everything to reduce its weight (cut bumper guard, sanded top of handle foam, lighter strings, grip) but I couldn't lug its weight in say hour 3 in full blaze Aust sun and that's what I have to be up for (sometimes). Again another racq I cannot sell!

But boy it hit the ball.

Anyway this Team 6.1 is reminiscent. Same bitey spin. Bit of a blast serving. Sensible groundstrokes. Charming volleys. While it is light nevertheless it feels way more solid than seems possible. I like the perhaps slightly rounder shape they have introduced...

bertrevert
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
With all of that said, I'm seriously thinking about giving the regular 6.1 95 2012 a try again. Demoed it again today and it was great. If I had the discipline to stick with it and work through the possible weight issues I think it would be a keeper. I was actually amazed at how User friendly it was. It seemed as forgiving and easy to play with *** the Pd. Granted this was only for a 30 minute session and obviously a honeymoon where everything seems to click. So not a real world test.

Quite an amazing classic feel that surprisingly holds its own in this age of constant change. 16 x 18?

bertrevert
05-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Snoopy, 6.1 team and rebel 98 turned out to be more different then I thought. Rebel has more pop and power. Team is more precise control. Feel is completely different ss well. Team better on touch shots. Rehel is also a little easier and more forgiving. Team is a limitless more solid feeling hut lacks mass and therefore power. Both are very nice but I prefer the rebel due to the higher weight. If you are into customizing with lead then the team should be great.

Not tried the Reb.

The Team is about control but you will feel you can literally sculpt the shot while contacting it. The 16 x 18 offers so many spin choices as you hit. Ok slices didn't penetrate but they certainly stayed low and true. 1 HBH was just fine if just a little light-on - I mean a little more SW on that shot would have helped.

But really, I think this racq ceratinly sets the standard for light 95s.

bertrevert
05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Hello.

I'm looking for a lighter version of the BLX Blade 98 I purchased a few months ago. Since using the Blade I've developed a sore shoulder (weight 340g after 2x over grip and dampener).

The new (or old) team looks to be a good option. Has anyone tried the Blade 98 who can comment on the differences similarities of the two racquets? Reading this thread is steering me towards an impending purchase; sounds like it fits my bill!

I just need to get used to the idea of going back to 16x18

I think the surprising thing about the Blade is the way Wilson went with them - just increasing the weight and SW and seemingly the slower feel they have. The Blade represents a very solid hit now but there is no way I am lugging that weight. Given it's heft - can that be aggravating the shoulder?

The kBlade 18 x 20 seemed to me the last version to offer soemthing light.

From the Blade I don't know that the Team here would be of interest.

Without having tried it, perhaps the Rebel that may be a better/closer transition? Rads would be too light.

16 x 18 can chew strings but it slings more power and spin.

With this Team I can really take a ball and work... how can I phrase it - work emotionally - one groundstroke ultra-aggressive, one just marking time - while the opponent just sees me seemingly about to hit the same.

Simply, the open stringbed in a 95 allows more thought and options in the hitting zone.

bertrevert
05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Er, if you go back to the first pages of this thread you will see what various palytesters made of this frame
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412088

One of them using Blade-like frame said the following
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6147644&highlight=bobfl#post6147644

cheers

dmcb101
05-02-2012, 07:42 AM
I wish I could swing the six.one for a full match/a day of lessons but it is just to much on my arm. It does not help that I am a smaller guy at 5'8 ish so i think my most suitable option is the team and if I need some weight, that is what lead is for.

bluetrain4
05-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Not tried the Reb.

The Team is about control but you will feel you can literally sculpt the shot while contacting it. The 16 x 18 offers so many spin choices as you hit. Ok slices didn't penetrate but they certainly stayed low and true. 1 HBH was just fine if just a little light-on - I mean a little more SW on that shot would have helped.

But really, I think this racq ceratinly sets the standard for light 95s.

I own the standard 2012 BLX 6.1 95 and like it very much. Had the opportunity to play a set with someone else's 6.1 Team about two weeks ago. Really, really great frame. That surprised me. I figured there was no way that something THAT light would play so well, regardless of balance. I mean, sure there could be solid frames lighter than my own, maybe 11.4 or 11.5 ounces, but 10.9?!! Anyway, great option for people who want control and spin in a more user-friendly package. You do give up some power and plow through. Not that you can't achieve it with good technique, but it's not going to come as easily and the peak amount of power is probably going to be less. But, again, that's not to say you can't generate any power.

I was very impressed that the Team did so well when blocking back shots, when not taking a full swing. That is often where lighter racquets can be very bad - when slowed down a gear.

Effortless serving frame.

Really, a great option that some people may not think about. Good job Wilson. Too bad they don't sell the Lite BLX 2012 6.1 in the U.S., which is somewhere between the Team and the standard.

bertrevert
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
You do give up some power and plow through. Not that you can't achieve it with good technique, but it's not going to come as easily and the peak amount of power is probably going to be less. But, again, that's not to say you can't generate any power.

I was very impressed that the Team did so well when blocking back shots, when not taking a full swing. That is often where lighter racquets can be very bad - when slowed down a gear.

Effortless serving frame.

Really, a great option that some people may not think about. Good job Wilson. Too bad they don't sell the Lite BLX 2012 6.1 in the U.S., which is somewhere between the Team and the standard.

I do think the Team addresses some of the issues these lighter player-type frames experience: excess vibration, getting pushed, low power.

The Team only let me down in situations were a little heft was needed: picking the ball up off my shoelaces, getting jammed on the baseline.

But I also want to play a long match soon with it to judge whether its light weight means I will have to put in too much effort late in a match.

This 2012 Team punches above its weight and is an interesting mix.

Let me contrast a few examples.

The Head MP 300 is a fine frame, sharply accurate, easily swung. But is gutless. It add nothing to what you put in. That means hard work.

Your standard Radical MP is a light and... low powered control frame. The last I tried was the Microgel. It just lacked power.

The Head IG Elite is a feather. It really doesn't feel like anything is there. Difficult to feel the shot.

I spend a long time with various of the Dunlop 300g.

THey were a bigger hoop with a wider beam but were very flexy in the yolk. While that is great for feel again no real oomph.

The 2012 Team feels more solid. It is perhaps on account of the bit of box-ish beam it has in the throat, the open pattern bulks up the bite, and then the hoop is less flexy, all combine to deliver a bit more power in the light package.

(Gosen 16 in the crosses and poly in the mains)

cheers