PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Juice Pro vs. Head IG Radical Pro

Blitzball
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
They both got an 81 overall from the official reviews. I know they're similar in terms of power and control. The Radical is very flexible and probably not as easy to control, but generates more spin, perhaps?

I'm primarily a flat hitter with a one handed backhand. Anyone have an idea of which would be better?

Power Player
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Yes.the yonex vcore 95 or prestige mp.

BlakeAF
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I just tried both of these. I am hugely biased because I have always played with Wilson, and currently use a BLX Pro Open. I am just a 3.5 player and fairly new to the sport also so take it for what it is worth.

The IG Radical Pro felt out of my league. It was hard to judge exactly, but I just knew after hitting with it that there is something with me that is not good enough or right for this stick.

I tried the Juice 100 first, and I didn't like it as much as my pro open. I decided on a whim to try the Juice Pro (I didn't like the Pro tour), and it felt lovely. I mean it really felt solid. It felt like what I had been using, but more solid all over the court. Probably due to my Pro Open use, but it felt like it wasn't out of my league.

Anyway demo both and see how you feel.

Blitzball
02-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes.the yonex vcore 95 or prestige mp.

Haha well the Vcore 95 has pretty good feel and stability but the PJ is kinda ugly to me and it doesn't work too well for my forehand for some reason.

I just tried both the Radical and Juice. I'll list out the winners for each category

Forehand: RADICAL. The flex demanded a full, fast swing, otherwise I'd hit a forehand wide or long because not enough pace was put on the ball. Basically, I had to hit hard and go under the ball more....which is a good thing. The Juice felt kinda iffy for flat forehands as it seems more tuned for those who whip the $h!t outta the ball.

Backhand: JUICE. My 1hbh was fond of the 16x20 string pattern as I got more action and push on the ball, driving it deep no matter where I was on the court. The Radical was close, however. The larger headsize gave me greater margin for error, but the flex just hindered my short backhand stroke at times.

Serve: TIE. My serves weren't good at all with any of my racquets, so this will be aspect will be further tested when I get my serve back up to par.

Slice: JUICE. The extended length was helpful for defensive slices (all .25 inches), and there was great depth. With the Radical, I just wasn't as confident because my slices are similar to Nadal's, the way he kinda swipes the ball to float it out deep. The flex was unforgiving with these floaters, sailing them way long. Dropshots tended to float way too deep as well.

I only hit with each one for maybe 40 minutes, so it's too hard to make a conclusion based on such a short playtest, but I am going to say that each aspect was very closely match, despite the Juice prevailing in most. Too early to tell, but I do love them both.

Looks like I'll have 2 dates for Valentines day this year. That's 2 more than I had....ever.

Bartelby
02-03-2012, 10:55 PM
The radical has a smaller headsize, or near enough identical headsize, to the juice.

Lay them on top of each other.

JGads
02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Lot of people seem to be saying the IG Rad MP is much better than the Pro. Especially with the one-hander, maybe you should try that.

Bartelby
02-03-2012, 11:02 PM
My guess is that the pro is just different, made for baseline play, and people don't like the balance given its swingweight.

BlakeAF
02-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I went to a Wilson demo today and hit with both of these racquets again. A guy in line was hogging the only Juice Pro so I grabbed the radical mp for comparisons sake and convinced him to switch with me each round.

It was interesting because he ended up, like me, thinking they both played pretty solid, but he was on the side of the radical and I was on the side of the Juice. He was a better, more experienced, player than me in some regards. Tough call though. I think the Juice is easier to grow into, but maybe the radical is more comfortable for more developed swingers.

Yourtenniscoach
02-04-2012, 02:48 PM
My guess is that the pro is just different, made for baseline play, and people don't like the balance given its swingweight.

People are just weak and can't handle a healthy swing weight. All of these low 300 swing weights on new frames is just make tennis players a bunch of weenies!

Blitzball
02-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Yeah the balance could've used some re-adjusting for more head light forgiveness, but it still played nicely.

I think the Juice is easier to grow into, but maybe the radical is more comfortable for more developed swingers.

I was thinking something similar, too! The Juice is easier to swing when you pick it up, but the Rad Pro seems like it could be the better racquet after a long-time of usage and perhaps customization with lead tape and whatnot.

@Yourtenniscoach, yeah I don't really feel hindered by higher swing weights either, though I can see why people would have problems adjusting to frames with a drastic difference, particularly with such high flex, you know?

I tried out the two sticks again and I actually like the Radical Pro slightly more on serve this time around...and I tested volleys.

Volleys: RADICAL. The Juice's extended length made itself heard with the loud mishits and shots sailing long. I simply couldn't find a consistent way to volley at my normal pace. I found that you have to angle the racquet head slightly down more, otherwise, every shot floats or sails long. With the Radical, the volleys felt more crisp and clean, aside from a few annoying vibrations.

jedd
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Does IG Radical have the same grip shape as youtek?

Blitzball
02-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Not sure, the one I used didn't have the grip that comes with the racquet in stock form.