PDA

View Full Version : Installing Wise 2086 on Silent Partner e.Stringer CL

tlimster
02-02-2012, 10:57 PM
I am debating whether to purchase one, but am not sure if the adapter will fit on my machine, because the screws are diagonal when facing the machine, rather than aligned length wise.

Has anyone every installed a Wise on a Silent Partner e.Stringer?

I called TW and Herb, and neither was able to tell me definitively. Herb noted that I might need to drill a hole in the adapter. If that's the case, then I will pass since I don't have any tools that will drill through iron.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Irvin
02-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Are you talking about putting a Wise on one of these?
http://www.stringforum.net/mforum/estringer.jpg
It will not work.

tlimster
02-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah, basically that's the one, except it's got a six point mount. Hmmmm, yeah looking at the mount then looking at my stringer that's what I was afraid of. :(

rich s
02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
http://www.photostringer.com/images/sp_estringer_cl.jpg

I wouldn't say it can't be done.....I did the original adaptation of the Wise to the 602FC... I'm pretty sure I could make it work here too.... the OP states he doesn't have tools ... that seems to be the limiting factor at this point....

tlimster
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
What tools would I need to do this? Something to drill holes in the mounting bracket?

ATP100
02-05-2012, 03:01 PM
You can make anything work, but, if you are gonna spend money on a wise......be smart......use the search function.

rich s
02-06-2012, 07:58 AM
What tools would I need to do this? Something to drill holes in the mounting bracket?

you would need the mounting bracket.... a drill gun and the appropriate sized drill bit to transfer the hole(s) from the bracket to the base......

tlimster
02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do a little more research on this. If I can find a Home Depot that will drill the holes then I may try it out. I'm not interested in buying equipment just to get the bracket to fit, however.

Irvin
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
The Wise is going to stick up in the air about 10 to 12 inches above the base. Get a piece of cardboard 4" by 11" and stand it up facing your turntable and you will see what will happen.

rich s
02-06-2012, 07:36 PM
The Wise is going to stick up in the air about 10 to 12 inches above the base. Get a piece of cardboard 4" by 11" and stand it up facing your turntable and you will see what will happen.

Irvin.... I don't think it will sit up that high.... the angle adapter that replaces the tension/track bar adapter is very short...... the distance between the bottom of the legs that the adapters bolt to and the top of the gripper is only 8.5" ....... as long as the distance from the top of the base to the racket mounts is roughly 8.5", the OP should be ok.......

I don't think the OP is going have luck finding a Home Depot that will transfer the holes from the adapter to the machine base as s/he is hoping.....

Irvin
02-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Irvin.... I don't think it will sit up that high.... the angle adapter that replaces the tension/track bar adapter is very short...... the distance between the bottom of the legs that the adapters bolt to and the top of the gripper is only 8.5" ....... as long as the distance from the top of the base to the racket mounts is roughly 8.5", the OP should be ok.......

I don't think the OP is going have luck finding a Home Depot that will transfer the holes from the adapter to the machine base as s/he is hoping.....

Maybe so but he will then be pulling from above the string bed instead of below the string bed.
http://www.photostringer.com/images/sp_estringer_cl.jpg
From the picture I am not so sure the mounting supports will work as designed. You are going to be putting more pressure on that screw support now. The pulling force will be more in an upward direction which may take the racket over the outside supports. When the pulling force is below the string bed the racket can't go under the supports. I am no engineer but would like to hear from someone with an engineering background.

I would not install the Wise on that stringer if it was me.

Racquet-Priority
02-07-2012, 03:55 AM
With all respect.. If you spend that money on a tension head, why not buy a solid table etc. I don't know if your plan will work but it sounds to me like putting a ferrari motor in a old Ford car.

rich s
02-07-2012, 04:48 AM
With all respect.. If you spend that money on a tension head, why not buy a solid table etc. I don't know if your plan will work but it sounds to me like putting a ferrari motor in a old Ford car.

RP
the OP might be in a position where s/he can't afford to acquire a Wise and a new stringing machine but wants to upgrade his/her tensioner..... that's the position I was in; so I am somewhat sympathetic to what s/he is trying to do....

When you look at the turn table on the eStringer CL it is the same as that on the eStringer FL and Jazz...... it is not a shabby turn table...... the base that it is mounted on may not look like much but equally when you look at the base on red series Gamma Progression stringers they have an ABS plastic tray over a very crude injection molded/cast aluminum base...... but it works....

additionally.... ... when the OP wants to upgrade the stringing machine portion of his/her set-up s/he can keep the Wise and mount it on their new machine..... same as what I did when I upgraded from the 602FC to the 6004.... the Wise is very accomodating for incremental upgrades as finances allow....

....and some of the old Ford cars ('69, '70 Mustang Boss 302s, 429s, Mach I's, etc) are pretty cool :D

rich s
02-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Maybe so but he will then be pulling from above the string bed instead of below the string bed.

the top of the Wise gripper sits ~8.5" above the mount.... if the gripper is over an inch tall and the string sits down in the gripper, the height from the mount to where the string sits in the gripper will be closer to 7.5"...... so that gives us even a little more margin/latitude

http://www.photostringer.com/image/sp_estringer_cl.jpg

From the picture I am not so sure the mounting supports will work as designed. You are going to be putting more pressure on that screw support now. The pulling force will be more in an upward direction which may take the racket over the outside supports. When the pulling force is below the string bed the racket can't go under the supports. The mounts on this turntable are the type that you screw/tighten down to hold the racket to the towers..... I think the force the screws see when you tighten down the racquet is far greater than the ~20-30 lbs of additional force that the screws would see from pulling the string thru the grommets in an upward direction..... I don't think it would be a deal breaker......but like you, I don't think that it would be an optimal situation to be pulling up on the frame......

the key here is for the OP to measure from the mounting surface (on the towers) to the top face of the base plate........ if that distance is 8.5" or more the modification can be done..... if it is less than 8.5" then it is not worth doing.....

I am no engineer but would like to hear from someone with an engineering background..... I am :)

Irvin
02-07-2012, 05:38 AM
I would have to agree with 'rich s' except for all that muckety muck about Fords. LOL

EDIT: But I don't think the Wise is a good fit for that stringer. If I only had $500 and wanted to upgrade I would go with a 602 FC, but then it won't be long untill you want to upgrade again. Wait until you can get what you want.

tlimster
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I thought it over, then posted my stringer for sale and it went right away locally. Then I cleaned out some old frames. Now I'm about $150 off one of these:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Progression_II_ELS_Stringing_Machine/descpageGAMMA-GPELS.html

Once I sell a few old golf clubs I'll have an even swap and a cleaner house.

Along the way I almost purchase an Ektelon Model H, but someone else purchased it an hour before I got to the seller, for $239. Live and learn.

I wanted a good quality electric with prestretch, and I think that's what I'll get with the Gamma. Thanks for the advice again -- I'm glad I didn't take a flyer on the Wise.

Centryx
03-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Ahh so you were the guy that I beat out for the ektelon h sorry bro

Centryx
03-15-2012, 07:23 PM
hey someone has an Ektelon D for sale on c****list since you missed out on the H

tlimster
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey Centryx,

Haha! Thanks for the tip, but I'm almost there on the Gamma. I think I'll go with new this time, shell out some extra cash and get a stringer that will last and that has the prestretch function I was originally looking for so I don't have to manually pull X-One or gut. The D doesn't look as good as your H, btw. If you're in the South Bay then let's hit balls sometime.

Tennusdude
01-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Irvin I have an extra Babolat Star 5 Turntable with clamps. Do you have any ideas how it can be adapted to be used with other tension heads. Or any ideas where to get a Babolat Star 5 Tensioning units that are nonfunctioning. I would be able to have it repaired. Thanks for any ideas

Thanks

Lakers4Life
01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Irvin I have an extra Babolat Star 5 Turntable with clamps. Do you have any ideas how it can be adapted to be used with other tension heads. Or any ideas where to get a Babolat Star 5 Tensioning units that are nonfunctioning. I would be able to have it repaired. Thanks for any ideas

Thanks

Call Babolat. Also, PLEASE STOP hijacking dead threads to ask Irvin something.

Tennusdude
01-04-2013, 08:37 PM

FYI Babolat does not sell new or reconditioned tension heads. you may not have been aware of this. You must buy a new machine to obtain a tension head.

The reason I used this thread was because it was the closest to my subject matter in that someobody else was trying to do an adaptation, Sorry that it bothered you. Is it against tennis warehouse message board rules?

Tennusdude
01-04-2013, 08:38 PM

oh yeah, sorry about the Lakers. heh

Lakers4Life
01-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Why not start a new topic?

Though I'm curious how you got a Star 5 with out a tension head assembly. I know the tension head assembly can be detached to send out for service, but it is not cheap.

Tennusdude
01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
The reason I did not start a new topic is I did not realize that was the best way. I thought it was better to find a topic that people were already discussing that was close to what I was trying to find out.

Babolat charges 500 dollars to recondition a tension head.

Lakers4Life
01-04-2013, 09:33 PM
If the topic is not even close or over 6 months old. Start a new topic, or e-mail Irvin directly. Though I really doubt Irvin ever used a Babolat machine.

I have not done it yet, but they ship you a loaner head to use, then you ship your head in the packaging. Then when they send back your head, you do it again. So most of the cost is in shipping, because the head is pretty heavy.