PDA

View Full Version : Review of IG Prestige Pro

madmutt
02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
So, just got my IG prestige Pro this morning, and here is my review, enjoy! :)

It came strung with Sonic Pro 17, at an 'average tension'

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/548/photopza.jpg

A little about me first,
2 handed backhand, all court/ aggressive baseline. Previous racquet was the 6.1 95 18x20 strung 56-58 hybrid setup (rpm/big banger and w sensation), depending on stick. Before that it was a PD, but that was a long time ago...Level wise, hard to judge - play with my university second team, for whatever that means.

First Impressions,
This racquet looks good! the paint job really shines in the light, and while in photos it may look dark/brownish - it is actually a deep red. Stunning. The weight is really nicely balanced, so it actually feels pretty manoeuvrable.

I took it on a 2h hit around (only practise) today, no match play unfortunately (doing that tomorrow) and here are my first impressions

forehand
This was a bit tricky for me at first, as I suddenly felt that I had a bit more pace, and a LOT more spin then the 6.1, which meant I was over hitting at first.

After slowing the stroke down a little, I realised that this racquet is extremely rewarding with a full swing. And I still had to have good technique (no open stance rubbish), but the spin and pace I got were great - and the shot placement was really spot on.

The feel is softer then the 6.1, and a little more involving. the plow-through is really, really good. It is hard to explain but I really liked it. :twisted:

backhand

The racquet really shined here, the open pattern, and the balance allowed me to be a lot more aggressive with my backhand without fear of overhitting, as the ball had a lot of pace and topspin (this is usually my weaker shot). Not much more to say ... it encouraged me to 'lean on' the ball and bury it down the line...

slice

very, very good. Felt a little more manoeuvrable then the 6.1, but still had a lot of mass to allow me to knife the ball deep. really liked the HEAD grip as well, as it sits perfectly in your hand and it is easy to quickly adjust depending on shot)

serve

I was expecting great things, and the racquet did not disappoint. I felt that I was getting a lot more pace and spin then the 6.1 - and the maouverability was really good. I am usually not a heavy server, but I was encouraged to take big cuts at the ball, and was rewarded.

transition/volleys

Only hit a few today, the feel and stability were about the same as the 6.1 (which was pretty close to perfect). Transition shots were a little easier due to the easier access to spin, although coming from the 6.1 I had to be a little careful with pace, although Im sure I'll adjust soon.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this stick. There doesn't seem to be much to fault (apart from the price...) - I would recommend this for someone with developed strokes, who likes to play aggressive. especially if you have a full, fast forehand (read Federer/gonzalez-style) then this racquet is pretty much perfect for you.

Im already ordering a few more...:)

Ross K
02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Great stuff madmutt. I'm very curious about the new PrePro having played the YT version and a range of Head MPs over the years. You've certainly added to my curiosity here and my eagerness to hit with one for myself; and not least as you've brought the 6.1 out as a reference. I've been playing with the BLX95 lately (and playing not too badly), but TBH I'm slightly yearning for some of that plush, solid, sweet swinging Head MP performance. :) Thanks for the review.

Cfidave
02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I too just demoed the Prestige Pro, coming from the K6.1 95. Totally agree, a super racquet in almost all regards. I thought every stroke, especially the serve, was improved with the PP. The only problem I encountered was the grip shape, felt strange coming from the Wilson shape, but may be just a matter of getting used to it.

madmutt
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
yeah, the grip will take a little getting used to - although it sits beautifully in your hand when you're serving/slicing :)

wao
02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Great review, please update after a match or match play. I hit with the mid last week and liked it. Didn't get the same response from the MP and looking forward to my demo of the PRO to get here.

Ross K
02-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Just read the early feedback section on this frame here on TT. It was noticeable how virtually everyone says the new version is a bit heftier/slower to swing than the YT version. Do others who have hit with both all agree then?

Hotrocks
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
So, just got my IG prestige Pro this morning, and here is my review, enjoy! :)

It came strung with Sonic Pro 17, at an 'average tension'

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/548/photopza.jpg

A little about me first,
2 handed backhand, all court/ aggressive baseline. Previous racquet was the 6.1 95 18x20 strung 56-58 hybrid setup (rpm/big banger and w sensation), depending on stick. Before that it was a PD, but that was a long time ago...Level wise, hard to judge - play with my university second team, for whatever that means.

First Impressions,
This racquet looks good! the paint job really shines in the light, and while in photos it may look dark/brownish - it is actually a deep red. Stunning. The weight is really nicely balanced, so it actually feels pretty manoeuvrable.

I took it on a 2h hit around (only practise) today, no match play unfortunately (doing that tomorrow) and here are my first impressions

forehand
This was a bit tricky for me at first, as I suddenly felt that I had a bit more pace, and a LOT more spin then the 6.1, which meant I was over hitting at first.

After slowing the stroke down a little, I realised that this racquet is extremely rewarding with a full swing. And I still had to have good technique (no open stance rubbish), but the spin and pace I got were great - and the shot placement was really spot on.

The feel is softer then the 6.1, and a little more involving. the plow-through is really, really good. It is hard to explain but I really liked it. :twisted:

backhand

The racquet really shined here, the open pattern, and the balance allowed me to be a lot more aggressive with my backhand without fear of overhitting, as the ball had a lot of pace and topspin (this is usually my weaker shot). Not much more to say ... it encouraged me to 'lean on' the ball and bury it down the line...

slice

very, very good. Felt a little more manoeuvrable then the 6.1, but still had a lot of mass to allow me to knife the ball deep. really liked the HEAD grip as well, as it sits perfectly in your hand and it is easy to quickly adjust depending on shot)

serve

I was expecting great things, and the racquet did not disappoint. I felt that I was getting a lot more pace and spin then the 6.1 - and the maouverability was really good. I am usually not a heavy server, but I was encouraged to take big cuts at the ball, and was rewarded.

transition/volleys

Only hit a few today, the feel and stability were about the same as the 6.1 (which was pretty close to perfect). Transition shots were a little easier due to the easier access to spin, although coming from the 6.1 I had to be a little careful with pace, although Im sure I'll adjust soon.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this stick. There doesn't seem to be much to fault (apart from the price...) - I would recommend this for someone with developed strokes, who likes to play aggressive. especially if you have a full, fast forehand (read Federer/gonzalez-style) then this racquet is pretty much perfect for you.

Im already ordering a few more...:)

Thanks for the review. What is the weight and strung balance? Everywhere I look the spec's are different? Same spec's as the YouTek? THanks....I have the previous version and a few pro stock 238.5's and love everything about them!

Cfidave
02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the review. What is the weight and strung balance? Everywhere I look the spec's are different? Same spec's as the YouTek? THanks....I have the previous version and a few pro stock 238.5's and love everything about them!
I weighed the demo as soon as I got it. With an overgrip and dampner it came in at 12 1/8 oz. It was exactly 6 1/2 pts HL. The string is Wilson Sensation. Never played with the previous versions, but this racquet is one sweet puppy. Never thought I would replace my K6.1's , but I believe this may do it. Going to play a few more times, before making a final decision.

Ross K
02-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Not a bad little summary from TT tester Chris. :)

Chris - "I liked pretty much everything -- especially how the racquet felt maneuverable yet still offered good plow through. I've not found any of the recent racquets that carry the Prestige Pro name to play as good as this one. This is a bloody good stick."

Hotrocks
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I weighed the demo as soon as I got it. With an overgrip and dampner it came in at 12 1/8 oz. It was exactly 6 1/2 pts HL. The string is Wilson Sensation. Never played with the previous versions, but this racquet is one sweet puppy. Never thought I would replace my K6.1's , but I believe this may do it. Going to play a few more times, before making a final decision.

Thanks. I just received one today....spec's are 11.5oz. unstrung(325 grams), the same as the previous model.

madmutt
02-06-2012, 01:56 AM
right, played a bit of match play during the weekend (just a few games and tiebreaks) and here are my observations,

1) I felt that I was able to be aggressive with my second serve, compared to the 6.1 and the PD (which just felt a bit hollow and strange on serve), the Prestige Pro really shined - really helped my confidence here.

2) This racquet just absorbs pace, and then returns it with interest. On shots that I usually be a bit hesitant on giving a full swing (return of 1st serve, heavy groundstrokes) - I was able to be confident in giving a full swing, and the stick would stay stable... the softer feel really helps here

3) It is unforgiving when you are lazy, whenever I got a bit sloppy with footwork/technique - I was punished.... although whenever I hit is spot-on, I was rewarded with a controlled and very heavy ball :)

4) It is a bit of a spin monster :twisted: I was expecting for my balls to stay pretty flat, instead they had some very good spin on them, and changing direction (especially for short angles) became easier - and I was encouraged to go for these shots.

The more I play with this stick, the more it seems that HEAD have somehow tweaked the Prestige to stick with its amazing feel while also making it suited for the modern all court topspin game. The extra spin was a real surprise for me, the fact that it came with pace and plush feel was even more impressive.

holytennis
02-06-2012, 03:42 AM
3) It is unforgiving when you are lazy, whenever I got a bit sloppy with footwork/technique - I was punished.... although whenever I hit is spot-on, I was rewarded with a controlled and very heavy ball :)

What tension did you string it at? Do you think it would be forgiving if strung at 53-55lbs? Especially when tired and lazy?

madmutt
02-06-2012, 05:06 AM
What tension did you string it at? Do you think it would be forgiving if strung at 53-55lbs? Especially when tired and lazy?

It is still strung with Sonic Pro 17 at 'average tension' for whatever that means. Feels about 55/56, not too tight - haven't had the time to start playing with different strings yet :)

Ross K
02-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Just read the early feedback section on this frame here on TT. It was noticeable how virtually everyone says the new version is a bit heftier/slower to swing than the YT version. Do others who have hit with both all agree then?

Just reposting ^ as I'm still curious about this.

madmutt,

Sounds like you've found your stick.:wink:

Torres
02-06-2012, 05:42 AM
I still had to have good technique (no open stance rubbish)

Good technique and open stance aren't mutually exclusive. You've got a pretty strange game if you're always hitting off both wings with a closed stance and never with an open stance simply because - to use your words 'its rubbish'. With respect, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about.

Cfidave
02-06-2012, 06:18 AM
I noticed the additional spin the Prestige pro seem to add as well. Forehand drives definately had more topspin then I normally get with my 6.1.

Dgdavid
02-06-2012, 06:31 AM
With respect, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about.

Doesn't sound like much respect there to me. Bit harsh that.

madmutt
02-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Good technique and open stance aren't mutually exclusive. You've got a pretty strange game if you're always hitting off both wings with a closed stance and never with an open stance simply because - to use your words 'its rubbish'. With respect, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about.

I never said that I always hit closed stance, as you never can have enough time for that - but I can see how I was interpreted to say that, sorry :)

what I meant was that this stick is a lot more rewarding when you use closed stance with good weight transfer to the front foot, along with shoulder and core rotation - which allows you to generate more power from your body as on its own its fairly low powered.

Hitting open stance with it means a lot of balls are gonna end up short/uncontrolled (unless you incredible arms), I call it 'rubbish' as I was brought up to play a slightly more 'old school' game, so closed stance has been pretty much drilled into my brain since I was 8 :)

Torres
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
The feel is softer then the 6.1

That's surprising because the construction of the previous Youtek Prestiges result in a stiff frame - noticeably stiffer than the BLX 6.1, so if you say the IG version is softer than the 6.1, then the IG iteration of this stick is significantly softer than the Youtek version. That would be a big, big difference.

Anyone else able to verify the stiffness of these IGs compred to the previous gen Youteks?

what I meant was that this stick is a lot more rewarding when you use closed stance with good weight transfer to the front foot, along with shoulder and core rotation - which allows you to generate more power from your body as on its own its fairly low powered.

Hitting open stance with it means a lot of balls are gonna end up short/uncontrolled (unless you incredible arms), I call it 'rubbish' as I was brought up to play a slightly more 'old school' game, so closed stance has been pretty much drilled into my brain since I was 8 :)

How could you possibly know a Prestige Pro is more suited to a closed stance / 'old school' style of game as you put it, when you don't even play a modern game with open stance forehands? There's no reason at all why open stance forehands should result in short or uncontrolled balls.

If your coach has funnelled you down to a closed stance 'old school' style of playing and brainwashed you into thinking anything else is "rubbish", he should be shot because all he's done limit your development potential. Even 20 years ago, any coach worth his salt would have coaching open stance forehands with across the body finishes or at least allowing their students to develop a combination of hitting styles.

TheRed
02-06-2012, 09:22 PM

I wouldn't use such strong language but I pretty much agree 100%. In fact, I would say if you're hitting closed stance most of the time, you have BAD form.

Ross K
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
We seem to be veering off course somewhat... a few contentious points... but can we focus back to the frame?:) Whoever has hit with one, post your impressions!

holytennis
02-07-2012, 04:59 AM
madmutt, people say that the ig prestige pro has an actualy head size of 95 sq. inch. Can you confirm this?(Compare with another 98 racket?)

counterpuncher
02-07-2012, 02:47 PM
madmutt, people say that the ig prestige pro has an actualy head size of 95 sq. inch. Can you confirm this?(Compare with another 98 racket?)

This has been covered a few times, in that Head measures the size from outside of the frame. It has also been mentioned that the size is probably closer to 96 than 98 and comparing to many other 95 - 98 racquets that I have, I would agree.

TexasTennisbum
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
We seem to be veering off course somewhat... a few contentious points... but can we focus back to the frame?:) Whoever has hit with one, post your impressions!

I played with one for three straight days, two and a half hour sessions. I am buying this racquet because it had no ill effect on my tennis elbow, had increased topspin over my previous sticks, and was great on serve and volley.

Previously I had-- Wilson K88 with Lux BB (elbow problem began, something I've had for 2 years), then Prince Rebel 95 (found lacking in maneuverability at net), then Head Prestige YT MP (elbow problems again).

Prestige Pro- It is a great racquet, there is more spin than the MP, it is somehow more arm friendly for me, serve is slightly more powerful than the MP, but my forehand and backhand are 10-20% less powerful with 30% more spin (perhaps string, string tension, and open string pattern).

One really unusual thing I noticed is I could half volley a couple of overheads from near the service line below my knees and the racquet just returned it without budging, I've never experienced that before. It's a heavy racquet though, so you will need solid footwork and court awareness on volleys or you will be handcuffed.

That being said, the racquet is head light enough to allow for great net play, heavy enough to compliment my deep topspin forehand and more flattened out one handed backhand, and good on serves.

Dgdavid
02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
I played with one for three straight days, two and a half hour sessions. I am buying this racquet because it had no ill effect on my tennis elbow, had increased topspin over my previous sticks, and was great on serve and volley.

Previously I had-- Wilson K88 with Lux BB (elbow problem began, something I've had for 2 years), then Prince Rebel 95 (found lacking in maneuverability at net), then Head Prestige YT MP (elbow problems again).

Prestige Pro- It is a great racquet, there is more spin than the MP, it is somehow more arm friendly for me, serve is slightly more powerful than the MP, but my forehand and backhand are 10-20% less powerful with 30% more spin (perhaps string, string tension, and open string pattern).

One really unusual thing I noticed is I could half volley a couple of overheads from near the service line below my knees and the racquet just returned it without budging, I've never experienced that before. It's a heavy racquet though, so you will need solid footwork and court awareness on volleys or you will be handcuffed.

That being said, the racquet is head light enough to allow for great net play, heavy enough to compliment my deep topspin forehand and more flattened out one handed backhand, and good on serves.

Great comments, thanks. Have you tried the new IG Prestige MP too? I have two of them and considering adding a different Prestige as a 3rd (Mid or Pro). Interested in people's comparisons between them if there are any.

wao
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Great comments, thanks. Have you tried the new IG Prestige MP too? I have two of them and considering adding a different Prestige as a 3rd (Mid or Pro). Interested in people's comparisons between them if there are any.To answer your question imo the MID is a much better stick in all areas with the exception of power as you would expect the larger head size would produce more power. I just got me demo of the pro which I was waiting for to finish my comparision.

Dgdavid
02-07-2012, 04:07 PM
To answer your question imo the MID is a much better stick in all areas with the exception of power as you would expect the larger head size would produce more power. I just got me demo of the pro which I was waiting for to finish my comparision.

Thanks wao, I love the Midplus and it is my racket of choice now with the only possible exception being I am open minded on the Mid and PRO. I was leaning to the PRO on the basis it is more powerful but the "10-20% less power" comment is giving me second thoughts. MP ticks all the boxes but if the Pro keeps that plus adds a touch more power, I would switch.

Ross K
02-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Cheers for that ^. It does seem ppl are finding it a bit hefty. I'm wondering though if it's like the BLX 95 (I know, very different rackets), but if similarly to that, it somehow contrives to swing really fast and doesn't feel bulky and log-like despite there actually being some considerable weight there.

Cfidave
02-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Played two sets last night. First with the Prestige pro, then second set with my old K95 6.1. The PP actually swings through a little faster then the 6.1 and feels less bulky at net. Although not as head lite as the 6.1, for some reason the PP just feels quicker, all around. That being said, the PP definately comes through with a heavier ball on serve, slightly less pace on groundies, but more spin, and depth.

monolith694
02-08-2012, 09:46 AM

When I demoed the racket, I noticed that it did swing heftier, which helped my forehand a lot, but made me hit off-center (1h) backhands more often. However, the few 2h backhands I hit with it felt very good. Everywhere else, the racket shines, but my 1 handed backhand performed better with the YT version than the IG version.

TexasTennisbum
02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Played two sets last night. First with the Prestige pro, then second set with my old K95 6.1. The PP actually swings through a little faster then the 6.1 and feels less bulky at net. Although not as head lite as the 6.1, for some reason the PP just feels quicker, all around. That being said, the PP definately comes through with a heavier ball on serve, slightly less pace on groundies, but more spin, and depth.

I echo these comments on the PP and Dave summed it up perfectly.

As to some previous comments, I don't agree the MID is a "better" racquet, it is just different, I am curious why someone playing with any Prestige would be asking for more power. I wouldn't consider these power racquets at all.

I did play with the Wilson 90 inch head racquet (is it BLX or something, white paint?), the new one, I would choose that over the PP, except it destroyed my arm when I tried a few serves.

atatu
02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
I played two sets with the IG PP today and loved it. It felt a bit softer than the YTPP, but it could be the fact that it is strung with Technifibre NRG2. I did not notice a difference in weight and the swing weight seemed about the same. Looking at the two frames side by side...the YTPP pro head seems just a little bigger. Has anyone else noticed that, or is it just my imagination ?

Bartelby
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Black CAPS close space, the clear ones open it up giving the illusion of largeness.

mrc
02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I got my new one strung with Genesis Black Magic at 50lbs. I love the racquet. I like my MG and YT verisions but this one is better. It just has a better overall sweetsport and hits cleaner. Great improvement on an already awesome product.

holytennis
02-12-2012, 01:23 AM
I got my new one strung with Genesis Black Magic at 50lbs. I love the racquet. I like my MG and YT verisions but this one is better. It just has a better overall sweetsport and hits cleaner. Great improvement on an already awesome product.

How is the Sweet spot on the pro, since you have strung it at 50? How does it respond on off-center hits?

rudester
02-17-2012, 09:36 AM
I too just demoed the Prestige Pro, coming from the K6.1 95. Totally agree, a super racquet in almost all regards. I thought every stroke, especially the serve, was improved with the PP. The only problem I encountered was the grip shape, felt strange coming from the Wilson shape, but may be just a matter of getting used to it.

I am currently on my 4th string job on my new IG prestige pro, It is indeed very string sensitive, but i believe i have what i want finally, VS Tonic at 60/58 lbs , and this stick becomes impressive. The other thing that had to be done was to install TK82s pallets, i too have trouble with the head grip having mainly used Wilson Racquets. Anyway, bottom line is that with a few adjustments i now have a new racquet with a bit of the wow factor.

Cfidave
02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Played again last night. The more I play with the PP, then more I like it. I agree, the racquet is quite string sensitive. Restrung with Bhsr/multisyn hybrid at 48/52. Really felt like one huge sweetspot, but still very contollable. Also noticed more spin then my first outing with the racquet. The grip does take some getting use to, I too am a Wilson user. Btw, who supplies TK82 pallets?

Dgdavid
02-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Just bought one to go with my IG Prestige MPs. Got my Pro strung at 50 lbs with Sonic Pro 17 (simply because I get on well with the string). Will report back.

rudester
02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Played again last night. The more I play with the PP, then more I like it. I agree, the racquet is quite string sensitive. Restrung with Bhsr/multisyn hybrid at 48/52. Really felt like one huge sweetspot, but still very contollable. Also noticed more spin then my first outing with the racquet. The grip does take some getting use to, I too am a Wilson user. Btw, who supplies TK82 pallets?

Keep your eye on the for sale section, they are also available i believe TW europe, but have not had to go that route so far. With your Wilson background, you will love this frame even more with a grip shape change.

Dgdavid
02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
I can say emphatically that after playing three sets with the IG Prestige Pro tonight, I will be switching to it as my main racket from my IG Prestige MidPlus (x2) and the IG Prestige Mid (which is too demanding).

The Midplus was the best racket I've ever played with (for my game at least) but the Pro made so many parts of my game a notch higher. Only one notch maybe but in so many areas as to make it very clear cut. Nothing felt compromised but my attacking forehand, rallying forehand, slice backhand (depth and pace) and serve were all better. Touch shots and volleys - no discernible difference. Only area Midplus still exceeds is my attacking backhand which I hit very flat but I suspect this will groove quickly.

I am aware of honeymoon periods so will play a few more matches before I post my own review. Delighted with it. If I'd listened to Racketfever, might have saved myself 450 on rackets I now want to sell!

ps. it is strung with Sonic Pro 17 at 50 lbs.

RacketFever
02-18-2012, 02:02 AM
I can say emphatically that after playing three sets with the IG Prestige Pro tonight, I will be switching to it as my main racket from my IG Prestige MidPlus (x2) and the IG Prestige Mid (which is too demanding).

The Midplus was the best racket I've ever played with (for my game at least) but the Pro made so many parts of my game a notch higher. Only one notch maybe but in so many areas as to make it very clear cut. Nothing felt compromised but my attacking forehand, rallying forehand, slice backhand (depth and pace) and serve were all better. Touch shots and volleys - no discernible difference. Only area Midplus still exceeds is my attacking backhand which I hit very flat but I suspect this will groove quickly.

I am aware of honeymoon periods so will play a few more matches before I post my own review. Delighted with it. If I'd listened to Racketfever, might have saved myself 450 on rackets I now want to sell!

Thats great DG. I suggest you keep one MP like me. Sometimes, i just suddenly feel like playing with the MP. You never know.

holytennis
02-18-2012, 02:14 AM
David, now that you have hit the Ig Prestige pro , Prince Exo3 Tour 100 and the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012, please could post a quick comparison? And of course, how is the SWEET SPOT on all the frames strung at around 52-55lbs??

Dgdavid
02-18-2012, 03:26 AM
David, now that you have hit the Ig Prestige pro , Prince Exo3 Tour 100 and the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick 2012, please could post a quick comparison? And of course, how is the SWEET SPOT on all the frames strung at around 52-55lbs??

Just popping out with family and will respond in more detail later but the sweetspots were good on all three. The Pro is strung at 50lbs with Sonic Pro and I think I've got it right first time for me. Very nice feeling even off centre which was a surprise. I was banging flat and TS shots right into the corners and getting better depth than my Midplus. I always avoided the Prestiges due to the alleged unforgivingness but on the IGs at least, the Pro (strung low) and Midpluses are absolutely fine (I can't say the same for the Mid though).

The Exo3 Tour 100 was also very nice and I liked it a lot but I did have some problems hitting winners when coming in on a short ball. I only played a few sets with it though. If you give it time, that would also be a great racket and I would be using it now had I not picked up a Prestige Midplus out of curiosity. I was great in rallies and working the opponent. VERY spinny.

I can't comment much on Pure Drive Roddick because I only played two singles sets but the sweetspot felt fine but I wouldn't swap it for the Pro in a millions years. I had to really shorten my stroke on it but players that like that might think it is the best thing ever.

holytennis
02-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Just popping out with family and will respond in more detail later but the sweetspots were good on all three. The Pro is strung at 50lbs with Sonic Pro and I think I've got it right first time for me. Very nice feeling even off centre which was a surprise. I was banging flat and TS shots right into the corners and getting better depth than my Midplus. I always avoided the Prestiges due to the alleged unforgivingness but on the IGs at least, the Pro (strung low) and Midpluses are absolutely fine (I can't say the same for the Mid though).

The Exo3 Tour 100 was also very nice and I liked it a lot but I did have some problems hitting winners when coming in on a short ball. I only played a few sets with it though. If you give it time, that would also be a great racket and I would be using it now had I not picked up a Prestige Midplus out of curiosity. I was great in rallies and working the opponent. VERY spinny.

I can't comment much on Pure Drive Roddick because I only played two singles sets but the sweetspot felt fine but I wouldn't swap it for the Pro in a millions years. I had to really shorten my stroke on it but players that like that might think it is the best thing ever.

Thanks for the reply. Like i stated in many threads, i use the Babolat Pure Drive GT Strung at 58lbs. Just hoping the Ig Pro would be forgiving enough for me, if i string it at 50lbs.

Cfidave
02-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. Like i stated in many threads, i use the Babolat Pure Drive GT Strung at 58lbs. Just hoping the Ig Pro would be forgiving enough for me, if i string it at 50lbs.

Mine is strung at 48lbs on the mains and about 52lbs on the crosses, and I think that is about perfect for this racquet. Mains are Poly and crosses are multi syn gut. I had it higher, around 55, and felt it lacked some touch, and also felt a little stiff. I have played about 4 hours with the 48/52 tension and it feels and plays even better now, so could be that a couple of pounds less would work as well. Control is still there in spades.

holytennis
02-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Honestly, i have always strung at 58lbs. Never tried experimenting with the Tension. No point in replacing the Strings on my PD now, I'am buying two of the Ig Prestige Pro in about 2-3 days.

BigSkyChamp
02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I use the Microgel PP and find that it has the perfect combination of spin, power, and "plushness". (with the right string)

When I tried the Youtek PP I found that it was far too stiff - it felt unsubstantial and made a "tinny" sound. Overall, I was not very happy with the Youtek.

Does the IG version have a more substantial/solid feel to it, or does it still have the old Youtek tin feeling? I want to upgrade to the IG but I am unsure as to if it has the same plushness that the Microgel has.

chizzle
02-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Posting for a friend here...

He bought to IGPPs and they both weighed in at 11.7 - strung with overgrips. (Weighed by several sources).

The other demo he'd been playing with was 11.9, which is better.

But you have to figure the unstrung weight is 11.5, then it should be closer to 12.1 or 12.2 shouldn't it ?

Anyone else have this experience? Pretty surprised.

JGads
02-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Dang it. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the MP, I love it, but this has me wondering if I need to check out the Pro. Question, though: if I really did not like the Youtek Prestige Pro (felt too stiff and didn't have the control I wanted) will I also not like the IG PP? Love the IG update to the MP: so honest and controlled and mistake free. Generally veer toward closed patterns so I'm thinking the MP is definitely the one for me, but after reading the MP to PP love, you've peaked my interest.

edman9898
02-18-2012, 01:12 PM
I demoed the IG PP and bought a YT PP. Honestly, there is not THAT much difference between the two IMO. The IG is a little softer and produces a little more spin, but thats about it.

Ross K
02-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Dang it. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the MP, I love it, but this has me wondering if I need to check out the Pro. Question, though: if I really did not like the Youtek Prestige Pro (felt too stiff and didn't have the control I wanted) will I also not like the IG PP? Love the IG update to the MP: so honest and controlled and mistake free. Generally veer toward closed patterns so I'm thinking the MP is definitely the one for me, but after reading the MP to PP love, you've peaked my interest.

Go on Gads, you know you secretly really want to check out the IGPP and give us all an insightful review!:) Seriously, I suspect edman's post above may be worth your consideration.

BigSkyChamp, others,

I use the Microgel PP and find that it has the perfect combination of spin, power, and "plushness". (with the right string)

Just curious about the MGPP... could you say more re how it contrasts with the YTPP. Thanks

Cfidave
02-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Posting for a friend here...

He bought to IGPPs and they both weighed in at 11.7 - strung with overgrips. (Weighed by several sources).

But you have to figure the unstrung weight is 11.5, then it should be closer to 12.1 or 12.2 shouldn't it ?

Mine weighs in at 12 1/4 oz. (348grams) and 7 1/2 pts headlight strung with an overgrip and dampner. I am surprised yours is that light.

skeeter
02-18-2012, 05:15 PM

Yeh, see, this is why I was asking on the R-thread if you had tried this one out; peeked my interest as well. Might be a tad heavier/beefier (though the post above about high 11's strung weight is curious) than the MP, but maybe a tad more power and more spin? I, too, gravitate towards more dense patterns, but, if this could be a notch up on the MP in "controllable power", sure might be worth a demo. I second the "dang it" and why I only pulled the trigger on one MP for now.

Bartelby
02-18-2012, 05:30 PM
My yt prestige mp came in at a 310 sw when it was supposed to be nearly 320, so it was only when I added 4 grams of weight that the power came.

The off the shelf sw of my pro seemed spot on at around 320, and I think that's the differerence. The new pro looks ready to use, whereas the mp might need tinkering.

edman9898
02-18-2012, 07:16 PM
JGads - Honestly, there is no difference in control between the IGPP and the YTPP. However, I normally string around 58-60#'s on most racquets and the first time I tried the YTPP I strung at 58 and hated it! It felt very stiff and low powered to me. The next time I strung it at 52 and it is now the frame I will use for a long time. At 52, I felt no loss of control for me. Just a thought.

Muse
02-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Open question for anyone who can answer it. How does the IG PP compare to the YT Speed Pro? With the exception of swingweight, it seems like they're kinda similar racquets (esp. since Head didn't choose to make a IG successor to the speed pro).

Bartelby
02-18-2012, 09:06 PM
There is an ig speed pro - it just didn't make it to the us.

Muse
02-18-2012, 09:11 PM
There is an ig speed pro - it just didn't make it to the us.

Well I'll be damned. How is it?

Ross K
02-18-2012, 10:42 PM
JGads - Honestly, there is no difference in control between the IGPP and the YTPP. However, I normally string around 58-60#'s on most racquets and the first time I tried the YTPP I strung at 58 and hated it! It felt very stiff and low powered to me. The next time I strung it at 52 and it is now the frame I will use for a long time. At 52, I felt no loss of control for me. Just a thought.

Wow, amazing how much difference 6 lbs + can make.

JGads
02-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Yeh, see, this is why I was asking on the R-thread if you had tried this one out; peeked my interest as well. Might be a tad heavier/beefier (though the post above about high 11's strung weight is curious) than the MP, but maybe a tad more power and more spin? I, too, gravitate towards more dense patterns, but, if this could be a notch up on the MP in "controllable power", sure might be worth a demo. I second the "dang it" and why I only pulled the trigger on one MP for now.

Skeeter, you've got to try this one out for us both, buddy. I'm out of town and... At the moment, a bit demo'd out. Have every intention of getting an MP, but now I feel like I just 'have to know' about this Pro. Ugh.

Thanks for the tip. Seems like these Prestiges really like lower tension to open them up a little bit.

TheRed
02-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Frankly, the IG PP feels very much like a BLX 6.1 90 but slightly easier to use and with better feel. Very good control and not really a drop off compared to the mp. This is no Pure Drive. A classic prestige but easier (barely) to use.

Dgdavid
02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Now what did I say about honeymoon periods?! Used the Pro for the first time against a strong player tonight, fit, fast player with excellent ground strokes tonight and was hitting a lot of my forehands long with the Pro on reaching shots (had to do a lot of them against this guy) and suffered on reaching backhand returns.

Had to do a mid-game switch (yes, I know...) back to my Midplus and was confidently back in the game and turned it around. I virtually never hit long with my Midplus even under pressure but this is the first time I've used the Pro against a strong player. Didn't work out. The extra power over the MP seemed a hindrance tonight whereas it was a luxury last time out (but against a weaker opponent). Haven't given up on it after one suspect game but my two MPs are back in pole!

JGads
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Now what did I say about honeymoon periods?! Used the Pro for the first time against a strong player tonight, fit, fast player with excellent ground strokes tonight and was hitting a lot of my forehands long with the Pro on reaching shots (had to do a lot of them against this guy) and suffered on reaching backhand returns.

Had to do a mid-game switch (yes, I know...) back to my Midplus and was confidently back in the game and turned it around. I virtually never hit long with my Midplus even under pressure but this is the first time I've used the Pro against a strong player. Didn't work out. The extra power over the MP seemed a hindrance tonight whereas it was a luxury last time out (but against a weaker opponent). Haven't given up on it after one suspect game but my two MPs are back in pole!

Nice. Please keep this MP vs. Pro feedback coming. I'm planning on pulling the trigger on an MP this week but your recent Prestige Pro experience got my attention... I've been following your travels ever since you described your/my IG Prestige MP experience to perfection in this prior post:

The PDR sets were very interesting in that my standard rally shots were nice and deep but I felt I couldn't step in and hit flat winners. I always felt I was throttling back the power so was applying less of my own and the overrall effect was less pace on my attacking shots (vs. Prestige MP where I can put 100% of my power into) but out of position shots were nice with the Pure Drive. I did hit some shots that were a pleasant surprise including 2-3 lovely down the line back hands off a heavy serve. This reflects the pros and cons for me in a nutshell. A positive surprise yes but still a surprise. I don't get any surprises with the Prestige MP which gives me great confidence in the racket (they are very different of course). I was moving the opponent around with ease though without needing to hit too hard.

Ultimately, my tennis racket choices boil down to:
learning to control a more powerful racket; or
learning to apply more of my own power to a control racket.

The latter is working for me so...

That no-surprise 'honesty' was a real standout with the Prestige MP demo and I figured the Pro version might in fact be more of a 'controlling the more powerful racket' vs 'putting the power into a control racket.'

skeeter
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Skeeter, you've got to try this one out for us both, buddy. I'm out of town and... At the moment, a bit demo'd out. Have every intention of getting an MP, but now I feel like I just 'have to know' about this Pro. Ugh.

Yep, have a Pro on the way (and for kicks and grins, an IG Radical MP as well; specs not that different than the Prestige MP, but an interesting way, i.e., slightly lower static weight, slightly higher SW). But I had a great outing yesterday with the PMP; added some more weight to the handle and was really dialing in the depth and plow on the grounds, as well as maneuverability on serves. The Pro will have to put on a good show.

JGads
02-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Yep, have a Pro on the way (and for kicks and grins, an IG Radical MP as well; specs not that different than the Prestige MP, but an interesting way, i.e., slightly lower static weight, slightly higher SW). But I had a great outing yesterday with the PMP; added some more weight to the handle and was really dialing in the depth and plow on the grounds, as well as maneuverability on serves. The Pro will have to put on a good show.

Beautiful. Let me know how it plays out.

And good to know on the added weight to the Prestige. I figured the stick would take to a tiny bit of added weight in a great way. I mean, just a touch of weight and you could have yourself - maybe? - close to the plow of the Pro with the precision of the closed-pattern and flexier MP. That is, if you even want the added weight. The demo was so freakin' good at stock, I'll for sure keep it that way initially when I get mine in and then tinker with weight. I don't want much weight added at all anyway since I want the stick to remain around 12 oz.

Dgdavid
02-21-2012, 01:21 AM
JGads, I'm glad you reminded me I wrote that because it is uppermost in my mind this morning about fixing something that was broken. I play very well (to my ability) against all type of opponent with the MP and a big part of this is knowing what I am getting with it. It could be about getting used to the Pro and it is definitely far better than the PDR in my opinion but I think I will stick to the MP in matches. For easier matches and club mix-ins, my Rebel 98 is a lot of fun so will use that.

Dgdavid
02-21-2012, 01:24 AM

Hi Skeeter, I didn't even consider the Radical MP because I bought an IG Radical Pro and didn't like it (other than serves). Will be interesting to see how you get on with it. I too bough a racket for "kicks and grins" and went for the Rebel 98. Would appreciate an update how the Radical MP compares to the ***.

RacketFever
02-21-2012, 02:51 AM

Bump up the tension of the IG Prestige Pro to around 58lbs. Balls won't fly out that much.. And how did you like the Prince Rebel 98? I Loved it.. :)

Dgdavid
02-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Bump up the tension of the IG Prestige Pro to around 58lbs. Balls won't fly out that much.. And how did you like the Prince Rebel 98? I Loved it.. :)

I really like the Rebel actually. I must admit, things do seem a bit easier with it, it is less demanding but want to see how it goes in a singles match when under pressure. Of all the testers in the video review, I was most interested in how Spencer played because he looked a step change better with this racket compared to some other video reviews. I know you looked at it closely along with your Pro. Apart from the mass of the Pro, did either racket perform better in any area? Rebel seems much more manoeverable.

Re: the Pro, if I bump up the tension to 58 (currently at 50), it will be a lot less forgiving won't it?

RacketFever
02-21-2012, 05:11 AM
I really like the Rebel actually. I must admit, things do seem a bit easier with it, it is less demanding but want to see how it goes in a singles match when under pressure. Of all the testers in the video review, I was most interested in how Spencer played because he looked a step change better with this racket compared to some other video reviews. I know you looked at it closely along with your Pro. Apart from the mass of the Pro, did either racket perform better in any area? Rebel seems much more manoeverable.

Re: the Pro, if I bump up the tension to 58 (currently at 50), it will be a lot less forgiving won't it?

With the Rebel, i could hit Awesome Topspin forehand and Serves. The Pro is close to it in that regard, but its not there yet. I also liked the Rebel while Volleying. It felt Nice and Lively.

Yes, if you increase the tension, it would become a little bit less forgiving. I string mine at 55, its perfect for me. No harm in trying out though, that is the only way you can find out what suits you the best... :)

Dgdavid
02-21-2012, 07:22 AM
With the Rebel, i could hit Awesome Topspin forehand and Serves. The Pro is close to it in that regard, but its not there yet. I also liked the Rebel while Volleying. It felt Nice and Lively.

Yes, if you increase the tension, it would become a little bit less forgiving. I string mine at 55, its perfect for me. No harm in trying out though, that is the only way you can find out what suits you the best... :)

So was it only the extra mass that pushed you to the Pro over the Rebel?

RacketFever
02-21-2012, 07:36 AM
So was it only the extra mass that pushed you to the Pro over the Rebel?

That and the feel. Also, one or two people already have the rebel from my academy.. Wanted to be unique... :twisted:

Muse
02-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm gonna have to get my hands on a Pro with a low tensioned poly. I'm kinda hoping it'll play like a pure drive roddick with maybe 85% of the power but a whole lot more feel and control. That would pretty much result in a holy grail racquet for me.

RacketFever
02-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm gonna have to get my hands on a Pro with a low tensioned poly. I'm kinda hoping it'll play like a pure drive roddick with maybe 85% of the power but a whole lot more feel and control. That would pretty much result in a holy grail racquet for me.

Hmm, i haven't played with a PDR, however the PD used to be my old racket. I can say that the feel from the Pro is a dozen times better. Ask DGDavid for a comparison between the new PDR and the Pro, people say that the feel on the new PDR has improved a lot.

JGads
02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
JGads, I'm glad you reminded me I wrote that because it is uppermost in my mind this morning about fixing something that was broken. I play very well (to my ability) against all type of opponent with the MP and a big part of this is knowing what I am getting with it. It could be about getting used to the Pro and it is definitely far better than the PDR in my opinion but I think I will stick to the MP in matches. For easier matches and club mix-ins, my Rebel 98 is a lot of fun so will use that.

Exactly my experience so far: just no surprises in the MP. It's not a stick you ever look at and go, 'What did you do that for?' It's not the fanciest or may not have the 'wow' factor of some, but it's always that reliable tool, and just up to you to make it work.

RacketFev, what's your comparison of the MP vs. Pro? Have you already discussed? I see your sig and not sure if you've directly compared them yet.

skeeter
02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Beautiful. Let me know how it plays out.

And good to know on the added weight to the Prestige. I figured the stick would take to a tiny bit of added weight in a great way. I mean, just a touch of weight and you could have yourself - maybe? - close to the plow of the Pro with the precision of the closed-pattern and flexier MP. That is, if you even want the added weight. The demo was so freakin' good at stock, I'll for sure keep it that way initially when I get mine in and then tinker with weight. I don't want much weight added at all anyway since I want the stick to remain around 12 oz.

Yeh, first I put on a leather grip and, along with overgrip, was just a bit too heavey (12.6gs); but what a beast it was on groundies! So, after first putting on two, 7-inch strips of electrical tape on the two opposing wider bevels (just to round out the overall gripshape a bit and to add some weight on the handle), I put on a Babolat Skin Feel grip and Wilson Pro Overgrip. Whole thing, with dampener, comes in at 11.9g. As with you, I don't normally like going much over 12. Will try this out in a day or two. Seems like it will be a good setup. And, yes, will stack it up agains the Pro when that gets in.

Hi Skeeter, I didn't even consider the Radical MP because I bought an IG Radical Pro and didn't like it (other than serves). Will be interesting to see how you get on with it. I too bough a racket for "kicks and grins" and went for the Rebel 98. Would appreciate an update how the Radical MP compares to the ***.

Yeh, just thought the Radical MP was close enough in specs to try it out. And, hey, doesn't cost any more to demo another racquet!

RacketFever
02-21-2012, 09:38 AM
@Jgads The IG Prestige MP has a softer and slightly better feel than the Pro. If you have got the energy, and feel like taking big cuts at the ball, then the IG PMP is great. However, it does lack in the spin and 'free power' department. The Pro enables me to hit both flat and spin. Good feel, solid frame. It offers a bit more free power, and spin is great. In the end, i loved them both so i decided to buy 2 Pro's and 1 MP. I Use the MP during the first set, and the Pro for the rest of the match.

skeeter
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
@Jgads The IG Prestige MP has a softer and slightly better feel than the Pro. If you have got the energy, and feel like taking big cuts at the ball, then the IG PMP is great. However, it does lack in the spin and 'free power' department. The Pro enables me to hit both flat and spin. Good feel, solid frame. It offers a bit more free power, and spin is great. In the end, i loved them both so i decided to buy 2 Pro's and 1 MP. I Use the MP during the first set, and the Pro for the rest of the match.

How does the extra weight of the Pro feel to you? And do you find that you have to work a bit more to get the same level of control as with the denser MP? Haven't demo'd the Pro yet (one on the way), but I put in some gut mains, copoly crossess and feel like I'm getting some decent power/plow with the MP; may even lower the tension a bit as well (currently at 58/53).

JGads
02-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Yeh, first I put on a leather grip and, along with overgrip, was just a bit too heavey (12.6gs); but what a beast it was on groundies! So, after first putting on two, 7-inch strips of electrical tape on the two opposing wider bevels (just to round out the overall gripshape a bit and to add some weight on the handle), I put on a Babolat Skin Feel grip and Wilson Pro Overgrip. Whole thing, with dampener, comes in at 11.9g. As with you, I don't normally like going much over 12. Will try this out in a day or two. Seems like it will be a good setup. And, yes, will stack it up agains the Pro when that gets in.

Yeh, just thought the Radical MP was close enough in specs to try it out. And, hey, doesn't cost any more to demo another racquet!

You're the second person I've read who does that electrical tape trick to round off the grip. Sounds like a very good move, as I'm more of a Wilson grip guy. (I go down to a 1/4 grip in Head to minimize the oddity of the H grip for me).... Also, it sounds like your Prestige is just a little bit under weight, then? TW has them measuring out at 11.9 stock, so yours is either a bit under at stock or... the electrical tape/skin feel/wilson overgrip basically weighs nothing?

On that note, I'm still wondering if I should specify anything if I order from TW on specs. I've now played with three demos of the frame: two of them were 11.9 but played very differently (one seemed a lot more head-heavy and that's the one I preferred) and the other was 12.1 (but didn't really play 'heavy').... I think I may specify one that comes in at 11.8 or 11.9 strung because I want it to play like the demos (which I didn't add weight to), but I'd also like just a TOUCH of room for customization if I so choose. But: if you leave one with too much room for customization you might get a stick that plays more gutless stock form and is a pain to deal with in the lead department.

JGads
02-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Do you find yourself losing some balls long with the Pro that you don't with the MP? Does it have an 'errant-ball' quality to it if you're, say, not totally focused on a groundie or a putaway? The MP doesn't seem to miss on put-away shots inside the baseline, whereas I struggle with losing that same ball sometimes with weightier, stiffer sticks.

skeeter
02-21-2012, 01:53 PM
You're the second person I've read who does that electrical tape trick to round off the grip. Sounds like a very good move, as I'm more of a Wilson grip guy. (I go down to a 1/4 grip in Head to minimize the oddity of the H grip for me).... Also, it sounds like your Prestige is just a little bit under weight, then? TW has them measuring out at 11.9 stock, so yours is either a bit under at stock or... the electrical tape/skin feel/wilson overgrip basically weighs nothing?

On that note, I'm still wondering if I should specify anything if I order from TW on specs. I've now played with three demos of the frame: two of them were 11.9 but played very differently (one seemed a lot more head-heavy and that's the one I preferred) and the other was 12.1 (but didn't really play 'heavy').... I think I may specify one that comes in at 11.8 or 11.9 strung because I want it to play like the demos (which I didn't add weight to), but I'd also like just a TOUCH of room for customization if I so choose. But: if you leave one with too much room for customization you might get a stick that plays more gutless stock form and is a pain to deal with in the lead department.

The stock measured in at 11.7, so a little under spec. That was fine with me since, with the electrical tape and the change in grips, I was able to add a couple of grams and still keep it under or around 12. It's about 8 pts HL (using my trusty high-tech triangular ruler on the table method!), but still feels solid and more head heavy than that; nothing whippy about it. I don't like to overly customize racquets; prefer to get them close to desired specs and just customize a bit here and there, if needed. I don't get the feeling there are wild swings in QC with this racquet, though.

Yeh, the Head grip was a little wierd for me. With other racquets I've played recently (Prince, Wilson, Donnay), the four and three-eighths has been just fine. But, with the Head grip, together with my overgrip and the somewhat rectangular shape of the handle, it just felt a little "bulky". But with the changes I made, feels about right. If I get a second one, may go with the 1/4 size and see if just adding the tape and overgrip works.

RacketFever
02-22-2012, 06:56 AM
How does the extra weight of the Pro feel to you? And do you find that you have to work a bit more to get the same level of control as with the denser MP? Haven't demo'd the Pro yet (one on the way), but I put in some gut mains, copoly crossess and feel like I'm getting some decent power/plow with the MP; may even lower the tension a bit as well (currently at 58/53).

The Pro seemed a bit heavy to me at first, but i got used to it. The MP felt a bit lighter, not too light. I would say it has an actual SW of 315. Control is the best with the dense MP, and is not too bad on the Pro. If you string it at 58, you don't need to work hard or anything to get control. I string my MP at 52 and my Pro at 55. I'm thinking of hybriding soon.

APG
02-22-2012, 08:04 AM
The Pro seemed a bit heavy to me at first, but i got used to it. The MP felt a bit lighter, not too light. I would say it has an actual SW of 315. Control is the best with the dense MP, and is not too bad on the Pro. If you string it at 58, you don't need to work hard or anything to get control. I string my MP at 52 and my Pro at 55. I'm thinking of hybriding soon.

I have my YPIG MP strung at full gut with Bab 17 gut BT7 at 53kbs. Thinking of going lower but want to try Wilson Gut. BT7 is too stiff.
At one point with my flatter strokes will I lose the control.
Any input welcomed. Thanks.

RacketFever
02-22-2012, 08:14 AM
I have my YPIG MP strung at full gut with Bab 17 gut BT7 at 53kbs. Thinking of going lower but want to try Wilson Gut. BT7 is too stiff.
At one point with my flatter strokes will I lose the control.
Any input welcomed. Thanks.

Try a Poly-Gut Hybrid on the MP. I suggest Volkl Cyclone and Volkl V-Icon Natural gut. Haven't tried the Cyclone, but i tried my friends old PMP with V-Icon, and i Loved it. I suggested the Cyclone because Chris Edwards really liked it.. :P

APG
02-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Try a Poly-Gut Hybrid on the MP. I suggest Volkl Cyclone and Volkl V-Icon Natural gut. Haven't tried the Cyclone, but i tried my friends old PMP with V-Icon, and i Loved it. I suggested the Cyclone because Chris Edwards really liked it.. :P

Appreciate your suggestion but I returned to playing after a 1 year bout with GE. I hurt my arm playing with the YTPMP after playing with Prestiges for years. Poly is not an option At all. Thanks. I am trying to experiment with stringing as low as possible but still retaining the inherent qualities of the Prestige. I need to protect the elbow with gut.

Dgdavid
02-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Crikey, just played 3 sets with the Rebel 98 and played an amazing match first time out. This was the first time I have been applauded by players on a different court! Maybe I am not the advanced player I thought I was because suddenly loving the Rebel even more so than my IG Prestige MPs and Pro. That said, I am a sucker for honeymoon periods so it will probably be in the bin next week and Prestige back in hand. But while in honeymoon mode, the "tweener" Rebel might be the way for me (but I will paint it red and write "Prestige Mid" on it in magic marker):)

JGads
02-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Crikey, just played 3 sets with the Rebel 98 and played an amazing match first time out. This was the first time I have been applauded by players on a different court! Maybe I am not the advanced player I thought I was because suddenly loving the Rebel even more so than my IG Prestige MPs and Pro. That said, I am a sucker for honeymoon periods so it will probably be in the bin next week and Prestige back in hand. But while in honeymoon mode, the "tweener" Rebel might be the way for me (but I will paint it red and write "Prestige Mid" on it in magic marker):)

You're killin' me.

RacketFever
02-23-2012, 02:25 AM

The Rebel 98 is an Awesome racket. While it was great for consistently hitting or rallying, i felt it lacked mass. Adding weight is an option, but that would Increase the Power Level a lot. IMHO Stick with your Prestige, even if you feel the Rebel is giving whatever you need from a racket right now.

Sebel
02-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Hey guys, still the same shorter grip length on the IG PP compared to the IG MP? IMHO pretty uncomfortable for 2 handed backhand even if gripping higher.

Anton
02-27-2012, 07:44 AM
forehand

More top spin causes the ball to land shorter, not further.

It's the higher launch angle from a looser string-bed that was sending your balls long.

Jeepers
02-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know if there is a difference in weight between the YTPP and the IGPP as the TW reviews mention added weight in the IG however as far as i can see both have an unstrung weight of 325g :/

rlau
02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know if there is a difference in weight between the YTPP and the IGPP as the TW reviews mention added weight in the IG however as far as i can see both have an unstrung weight of 325g :/

The static weight should be the same (manufacturing tolerances aside), but the swingweight of the IGPP could be higher due to a different weight distribution.

radicalpro
02-28-2012, 06:22 PM
The static weight should be the same (manufacturing tolerances aside), but the swingweight of the IGPP could be higher due to a different weight distribution.
I found this a problem as well regarding the differences in the weight. TW listed the YTPP strung at 11.8oz.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-HYTPP.html

And then they list the IGPP strung at 12.2oz.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_IG_Prestige_Pro/descpageRCHEAD-HYIGPP.html

That appears to be a considerable difference in weight, so I bought the IGPP thinking it was a tad heavier so imagine my disappointment when I found out it is 325g unstrung, same as the YTPP.

I can't imagine that a string can be 0.4oz more than another string, but even so, why doesn't TW just list the unstrung weight which is what is listed on the rackets themselves?

edman9898
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I could tell without measuring them when I demoed them both that they were the same weight and swingweight. Actually they play very similar to me with the IG version being a tad softer.

icarus180
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Can any of you with elbow issues comment on the arm-friendliness of the pro? I demoed the mp and loved it, but my elbow threw a fit! Many thanks.

Muse
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Can any of you with elbow issues comment on the arm-friendliness of the pro? I demoed the mp and loved it, but my elbow threw a fit! Many thanks.

The pro is even stiffer so if your elbow didn't agree with the MP, there's little chance it would enjoy the pro.

wao
03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
The pro is even stiffer so if your elbow didn't agree with the MP, there's little chance it would enjoy the pro.Also would depend on the string and tension.

atatu
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Ok, so everyone says the IG Prestige Pro 98 is actually a 95, my questions is....does that hold true with the Radical 98 ? Or is it just the Prestige Pro that has a smaller head.

Muse
03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok, so everyone says the IG Prestige Pro 98 is actually a 95, my questions is....does that hold true with the Radical 98 ? Or is it just the Prestige Pro that has a smaller head.

Radical too. I think all head racquets in general. I demoed the prestige pro and radical pro at the same time and the head size was exactly the same.

mrc
03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
i do have a pair of the new Presitge Pro's as well. I have them strung with Genesis Black Magic Soft Co-Poly at 52 lbs. The racquet is great. However, I still end up playing with my IPresitge MP's in big matches.
The New Prestige Pro is VERY arm friendly and is softer than YT.

jman32
03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
i do have a pair of the new Presitge Pro's as well. I have them strung with Genesis Black Magic Soft Co-Poly at 52 lbs. The racquet is great. However, I still end up playing with my IPresitge MP's in big matches.
The New Prestige Pro is VERY arm friendly and is softer than YT.
i am considering switching to the PP, coming from Becker DC legend. can i ask why you go to the MP over the PP in big matches? is it a weight issue, control issue, or something else?

thanks

DrpShot!
03-21-2012, 12:37 PM
TW lists the RA of the IG PP at 66, the same as my YTK PPs, but everyone seems to agree the IG is softer. Has anybody been able to measure/verify the stiffness of the IG PP? I couldn't find it here in the thread. I'm still playing with the FXP MP and FXP Rad Tour because of their flex.

wao
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
TW lists the RA of the IG PP at 66, the same as my YTK PPs, but everyone seems to agree the IG is softer. Has anybody been able to measure/verify the stiffness of the IG PP? I couldn't find it here in the thread. I'm still playing with the FXP MP and FXP Rad Tour because of their flex.Certain racquets just "feel" softer. I found that with the Prestige as well as the Extreme's though my set up is on the softer side with NRG 16 / Lux Fluro at 54/51.

edman9898
03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
TW lists the RA of the IG PP at 66, the same as my YTK PPs, but everyone seems to agree the IG is softer. Has anybody been able to measure/verify the stiffness of the IG PP? I couldn't find it here in the thread. I'm still playing with the FXP MP and FXP Rad Tour because of their flex.

The stiffness is the same on both and thus the results. However, the IG is a TAD more comfortable and thus "feels" softer.

Bartelby
03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
I think the ig is in the throat to make the feel softer, so you get the illusion of more flex.

I found the yt feels less stiff in play.

lvuong
04-11-2012, 06:23 PM
What are arm friendly strings that are the best with the stick ? I hit it with Prince Premier LT 16 at 52lb and the sweet spot seems very small ? But when I demoed it with a not sure what it is generic multi (tension was at 40lb as I measured by racquet tune) it feels very sweet.

goosala
04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I just got two of the IG PP's and am still getting used to the lighter swing weight and stiffer feel. I am switching from the Pro Staff line of racquets so the PP with its lighter weight makes me adjust my swing. The Wilson frames with braided graphite and kevlar feel more solid and are heavier but the PP has more spin and I can come around faster with it. It is more stable now that I have added 5 inches of 1/2 inch lead tape at the 3 and 9 positions on the head. I also replaced the leather grips with synthetic ones. I know this is heresy but my hand and callouses don't like leather grips. I am getting more spin on my slice and kick serves along with good slice on backhands. I have to swing harder to get more power.

Fuji
04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Hey all, finally took my IGPP out for a hit today.

I'd love to do a full write up, but it absolutely murdered my arm today for some reason. I only played with it for 4-5 games tops. It was really really rough. Strung with standard synthetic @ mid range and it was just painful.

I'll have to test again but it wasn't looking good off the bat.

-Fuji

Shangri La
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Just got mine. The racquet feels pretty stiff. The bigger problem is the ball feel is very filtered, very little feedback. Only some metallic feel. Need more time with the racquet..

bluegrasser
04-12-2012, 04:39 AM
I wouldn't use such strong language but I pretty much agree 100%. In fact, I would say if you're hitting closed stance most of the time, you have BAD form.

huh ? really - how things have changed, but then again, I started playing in the 70's. I'd say with eastern grips a closed stance is best, but with today's sticks with their power and all you can pretty much use an open stance w/ any grip and pull it off IMO.

The Wreck
04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I wasn't crazy about my Prestige Pro at first, but I've really come to like it.

Moving from a APDGT, the more solid feel and extra ounce of weight was welcomed. And while I'm sure most people don't think it has a ton of plow through, it really does feel that way for me.

It also gave me a bit of arm pain at first, even though I don't think it feels all that stiff. That's gone away completely though, so it may not be entirely racket related.

As a side note, I demo'd the Youtek Prestige Pro a year ago and absolutely HATED it. Play about 100 times better with the IG Prestige Pro, even though by all appearances they are the same racket...

doctor dennis
05-19-2012, 03:48 AM
I wasn't crazy about my Prestige Pro at first, but I've really come to like it.

Moving from a APDGT, the more solid feel and extra ounce of weight was welcomed. And while I'm sure most people don't think it has a ton of plow through, it really does feel that way for me.

It also gave me a bit of arm pain at first, even though I don't think it feels all that stiff. That's gone away completely though, so it may not be entirely racket related.

As a side note, I demo'd the Youtek Prestige Pro a year ago and absolutely HATED it. Play about 100 times better with the IG Prestige Pro, even though by all appearances they are the same racket...

Hi

Could you do a quick comparison between the PP and APD GT in terms of power, spin, control etc please?

I currently own the APD GT and am interested in getting the Prestige as I am hoping it has slightly less power but more control and roughly the same spin potential.

Thanks

bruintennis
05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
What tensions and what string are you guys using for the IG prestige pro?

wao
05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
What tensions and what string are you guys using for the IG prestige pro?
still playing around with tensions but have used 54/51 - and now at 52/49 NXT/ALU Power also had NXT/MSV Co-focus 1.18 at the same. Like the 52/49

benjamins_80
05-22-2012, 06:39 PM
I am a fan of Pro Red Code 16g at 45 lbs.

YesTennis
06-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Need some advice. I'm a 4.0 player, and tried out the YT/IG Prestige Pro while playing with my wife for about 2 hours. The racquet felt "great." Really enjoyed it with my ohbh. Is this racquet "too much" for a 4.0? Just wondering if the weight and playing characteristics would be more noticeable while playing a longer match. Just don't want to get in over my head. If it's not right for this level, would the next best be the Presige S? Thanks in advance

Dgdavid
06-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I thought I had ruled out the Pro last week but played a few sets with it this weekend and I really liked it. This is my second stint with it. After the first, I went to the S version but found it no more forgiving, lacked stability and really didn't like it. You might want to try the Radical range or the Prince Rebel 98.

If you can play with the Pro for a little while though, do so. My experience this weekend shows that it becomes less demanding as you get used to it (I am guilty of chopping and changing rackets in friendly matches and mix-ins). This weekend, I played exclusively with the Pro (unplanned as my friend had to borrow my new tfight 320).

holytennis
06-03-2012, 12:07 PM
For some reason DG, i found the Mid to be as forgiving as the MP. Maybe the mid had a slightly smaller sweetspot than the MP, but mishits on the mid felt really good. I didn't like the MP as much as the Mid or the Pro. I have them in strung at 48 with Volkl Cyclone 16, any other string setups you suggest?

Dgdavid
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
We have different experiences there then Holy, I found the Mid lovely to hit with but brutal in match conditions whereas the MP was great. You may be better than me though so can wield the Mid in a match.

My favourite MP set-up was RPM Blast at 50lbs. Don't know enough about the Pro to recommend a string set-up but my current one is RPM Team at 55lbs in mains and Xcel in crosses at 57lbs. Could probably go 2-3 lbs lower on both next time assuming I stay with it.

nadalex
06-03-2012, 01:12 PM
greatest serving stick of the century so far imho. been hitting heavier and harder than with the pure drive, and the pure drive is regarded by many to be the the best serving stick ever

YesTennis
06-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. I like the idea of the open string pattern and extra power as compared to the MP. For those that have played with both, do you find one more demanding than the other? Also, can a 4.0 play with the Pro?

sundaypunch
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Posting for a friend...

Mine weighs in at 12 1/4 oz. (348grams) and 7 1/2 pts headlight strung with an overgrip and dampner. I am surprised yours is that light.

Has anyone noticed if the new IGPP tends to be heavier than the Youtek PP? The TW spec. page shows the IG at 12.2 oz and the Youtek at 11.8 oz.

ZeroSkid
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I heard the MP plus was better overall, i know the pro is stiffer

JackB1
08-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Has anyone noticed if the new IGPP tends to be heavier than the Youtek PP? The TW spec. page shows the IG at 12.2 oz and the Youtek at 11.8 oz.

yes the IGPP is noticeably heavier swinging than the YT model. I think Shawn mentions that in the TW video review.

rlau
08-03-2012, 06:47 AM

You can't say it IS "better" -- it just depends on which characteristics you LIKE better (higher/lower stiffness, closed/open pattern, etc.)

SlapShot
08-03-2012, 06:50 AM

As mentioned, better is subjective.

I personally preferred how the MP felt on impact and how fast it was through the air, but I gave the Pro a serious look as well before making up my mind.

Ross K
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
rlau,

I'm liking the new photo you're using Rob - LOL... er, who's derriere is that?:)

t-swede
08-04-2012, 02:27 AM

cfi ! that is easily solved just get a pair of tk82s pallets , these are more like the wilson shape and voila youre all good !

tball
08-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Those pallets are no longer sold anywhere. They disappeared from TW US and TW Europe, and in the TW answers they said they will not be available any more.

Anton
08-16-2012, 06:21 PM

I got RPNY W pallets for my Prestige MP and it feels great, very similar to Wilson grip, but even a bit better IMO.

Anton
08-16-2012, 06:21 PM
cfi ! that is easily solved just get a pair of tk82s pallets , these are more like the wilson shape and voila youre all good !

Yea, I like those too. F*&K HEAD for not making them available.