PDA

View Full Version : Which Racket? Question for Chris.

holytennis
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Question to Chris Edwards:

Hey Chris, i currently use the Pure Drive GT. It is a good racket, but the feel is slightly scattered and i feel the sweet spot is small, probably because i string it at 60. I want to change my racket now, and was seriously considering the new ig prestige pro. I guess i can manage swinging a heavier, low powered stick. The new pure drive roddick also seemed to catch my eye. So my questions are:

1) Will there be a considerable increase in sweetspot if i string the ig prestige pro at 52-53, comparing to my babolat which is strung at 60?

2) How does the pro respond on off center hits?

3) Should i buy 1 ig prestige pro and 1 ig prestige mp, instead of buying 2 ig prestige pro, for variety and play testing's sake? or am i being stupid? :P

Last, Does the tennis warehouse Europe site ship babolat internationally?
I can't demo unfortunately. :( I would say i'am a 4.0-4.5 player, and i play for 3 hours every day.

Thank you.

TW Staff
02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
1) Yes. I think you are too low there with the Prestige Pro. The weight of that racquet is going to give you lots more power on a full, fast swing, so I would start out around mid tension -- maybe 2lbs over mid if you are using a multi.

2) The racquet is very solid and you will find it to hold up well, even when you are off-centre slightly.

3) I would get two of the Pro.

You can't demo, but you can fake it. I would add weight to your racquet to mimic the spec of the Prestige Pro. You can find out how to do this in our learning centre and the TW university will even teach you how to make the swingweight the same. Your Pure Drive will play differently than the Prestige Pro (it will play somewhat close to the Pure Drive Roddick), but at least it will give you an idea if you can handle the weight.

4) Yes, they can ship internationally.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

holytennis
02-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Chris. I added about 25 gms of weight to my racket, without changing the SW. It was easy for me to handle the weight. My only concern is that the ig prestige pro might turn out to be too low powered, especially when i don't have much energy during a 3 or 5 setter match. I tried the prince tour 100 18 x 20 . The feel is weird. However the power level on it was best suited to my game. Does the pro offer this much power?

TW Staff
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
The Prestige Pro offers way more power. The Tour 100 18x20 is very flexible -- especially towards the tip of the racquet -- plus it does not have the plow through of the Prestige Pro. If you have a medium to long swing, you should find you can crush the ball with the Prestige. To do the same with the Tour 100 you either have to swing faster or add weight.

Hope that helps,
Chris, TW

RacketFever
02-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks a lot Chris. I'll be ordering two of the prestige's. Can you suggest a good string setup for maximum feel and power, and also at what tension. Granville said that the sweetspot would be small if strung too tight, so id rather stay at around 54-55.

sargeinaz
02-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks a lot Chris. I'll be ordering two of the prestige's. Can you suggest a good string setup for maximum feel and power, and also at what tension. Granville said that the sweetspot would be small if strung too tight, so id rather stay at around 54-55.

Maximum feel and power always means full gut to me. Just string it tighter like at 57.

holytennis
02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I had a chance to try the youtek ig radical mp today. I absolutely loved it! Great combi of power and feel. The tight string pattern kept all the balls in. I loved it, and i'am ordering three soon.