PDA

View Full Version : String Lengths

Fatawan
02-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Novice stringer here. When I use string off a reel, I cut longer pieces to make sure I have plenty. However, I have to do a 18x20 Wilson BLX Pro Tour racket with gut and I don't want to screw up(again). The gut comes with 20' length. The specs say 20' for the mains. I am using the Stringway ML120 and I have come up short before. Is 20' long enough?

Fatawan
02-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Also, just read another post--"Don't tie off poly crosses on your gut mains"--is that standard practice?

esgee48
02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Should work if you are reading from the Klippermate site. Their 20' lengths include longer pieces to get to their gripper. If not, search on the topic 'bridging' here.

Also there is no reason not to tie off poly cross on a gut main provided you are careful when cinching the knot. Of course, if you plan to only restring the crosses when they go dead, then don't tie the poly off on a main.

Irvin
02-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Also, just read another post--"Don't tie off poly crosses on your gut mains"--is that standard practice?

It is standard practice for P1 Tennis (http://p1tennis.com/services/). I would prefer not to tie poly off on a gut string is there is somewhere else to tie the string. Poly knots take a little more tugging that other softer strings. Gut takes a little less man handling before it breaks.

Fatawan
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
. Gut takes a little less man handling before it breaks.

I learned that a few days ago :(

Fatawan
02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Should work if you are reading from the Klippermate site. Their 20' lengths include longer pieces to get to their gripper. If not, search on the topic 'bridging' here.

Also there is no reason not to tie off poly cross on a gut main provided you are careful when cinching the knot. Of course, if you plan to only restring the crosses when they go dead, then don't tie the poly off on a main.

Ordered a starting clamp just in case. Thanks

Irvin
02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I learned that a few days ago :(

LOL sooner or later we all learn that when you start stringing gut.

Fatawan
02-05-2012, 08:22 PM
For future reference, 20' is NOT long enough!

esgee48
02-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Klippermate site:
BLX PRO TOUR 96; tension 50 - 60; lengths 20'M-17'C; pattern 18MX20C; Skip 9T-9B; tie off main 7B; 1st cross 9T; tie off Xs 7T-12B
Wilson site:
Pro Tour BLX
String Tension : 50-60 lbs
String Length : 37' (11.2 m) length (ss: 10') or 20' (6.1 m) M's and 17' (5.2m) X's
String Pattern : 18 x 20
Start Main : at Head. Mains skip 9T and 9H. Tie off mains at 7T.
One Piece : Start X?s at bottom at 9T. Tie off X?s at 7H.
Two Piece : Start X?s at top at 9H. Tie off X?s at 7H & 12T.
Notes :

Except for their nomenclature of top vs bottom, both sites say that 20 feet is enough for mains. How short were you?

Fatawan
02-06-2012, 04:34 AM
I am using a Stringway machine, so that's probably the difference. I was about 6" short. DOH! We got it done though and all is well.

Pavlos
02-06-2012, 05:20 AM
Why would the machine influence the length of string one needs?

I would guess due to the varying distances between the point the racquet is mounted and the tension head, but still, this shouldn't make a difference to the point of being unable to string a half-set, no? And it's not like your racquet is an oversize one (dense string pattern doesn't help though).

Irvin
02-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Why would the machine influence the length of string one needs?

I would guess due to the varying distances between the point the racquet is mounted and the tension head, but still, this shouldn't make a difference to the point of being unable to string a half-set, no? And it's not like your racquet is an oversize one (dense string pattern doesn't help though).

The machine and gripper can make a different but so can the 20' of string you use. Many sets of string say they are 40' long but they are actually closer to 41'. So a half set cut from a full set is 6" longer.

sstchur
02-07-2012, 10:58 PM
For future reference, 20' is NOT long enough!

Over time, I've gotten a "feel" for how much string will be enough for most racquets based on the string pattern and head size.

But prior to that, I learned to always add an extra foot or so to any pattern I read. Whether it was Klipperusa's site or the USRSA, they were OFTEN wrong when it came to how much string was required (at least for my machine). I learned quickly that I'd rather waste a few cents worth of string than come up short and have to bridge it with a starting clamp (or worse, come up so short that I was screwed).

Racquet-Priority
02-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I write on every stringjob I do how much string I used, so you can refer to that the next time!