PDA

View Full Version : A toe draggers dillema

zerojoshua
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Hello TW community.

I am an extreme toe dragger that has been experimenting with Shoe Goo and Hot Plastic in order to make my shoes last more than 2 weeks. Shoe Goo works well, but I have to add a thick coat on my shoes the day before any tennis match. My out-soles last about a month and a half before the shoes become un-salvagable.

I am just about through my second pair of Barricade 6's (6-month replacement) and will be looking to experiment with a new shoe.

I have tried gluing a thick rubber patch on the toe but it just gets ripped off. I have heard people use disassembled tennis balls on their toes to add longevity, but how do they make it stick?

I would rather allocate money spent on shoes to other endeavors and am open to ideas.

kingofstring
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I have this same problem I just buy the most durable shoe add shoe goo but I have the same problem as you .Somebody Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunlop300t
02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
what kind of surface are both of you playing on?

kimguroo
02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Barricade is not a good shoes for toe draggers.
CB might last slightly longer but I don't think it possible to find the solution unless someone invent new technology (extreme durable rubber material).

Tammo
02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Try hitting practice serves, and try to push more with the legs.

kingofstring
02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Try hitting practice serves, and try to push more with the legs.

I play on hard court what is this comment talking about??

RafatheChamp
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah I have the same issue. Less than a month for CourtBallistecs and in my current Barricade 7's have no treads on the toe. I've played less than 15 hours in them. Better than the CourtBallistecs IMO. All hard court too.

Tammo
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I play on hard court what is this comment talking about??

I mean when you are hitting practice serves, think about toe dragging. If you bend you legs and push off from the ground, your toe will be up of the ground preventing it from being dragged.

kingofstring
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I mean when you are hitting practice serves, think about toe dragging. If you bend you legs and push off from the ground, your toe will be up of the ground preventing it from being dragged.

I dont drag my toe on my serve.

scotus
02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Hello TW community.

I am an extreme toe dragger that has been experimenting with Shoe Goo and Hot Plastic in order to make my shoes last more than 2 weeks. Shoe Goo works well, but I have to add a thick coat on my shoes the day before any tennis match. My out-soles last about a month and a half before the shoes become un-salvagable.

I am just about through my second pair of Barricade 6's (6-month replacement) and will be looking to experiment with a new shoe.

I have tried gluing a thick rubber patch on the toe but it just gets ripped off. I have heard people use disassembled tennis balls on their toes to add longevity, but how do they make it stick?

I would rather allocate money spent on shoes to other endeavors and am open to ideas.

I used to have the same problem due to my pinpoint stance on serves.

Then I figured the some of the best servers in the world use platform stance (Sampras, Federer, etc), so I made up my mind to change my service stance.

It only took 3 days to make the transition and I am very happy that my shoes wear out evenly.

andry16
02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
what is toe dragging?

zerojoshua
02-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I pivot a lot on my left foot while chasing balls outside the court. One of the biggest assets of my tennis game is my court coverage and to maintain my balance requires a lot of close to the ground stretching and toe dragging at high speeds. I have already looked into the serve/toe drag and realize that it is a non issue, I have a jump serve.

Thanks for all of the feedback, any information is worth noting whether it's applicable or not.

Tammo
02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I dont drag my toe on my serve.

Yeah, I meant it for 0Joshua

kcmiser
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
On both forehands and backhands, I pivot on my front foot and try to lean into the court, so the back toe naturally drags (worse on the forehand/right shoe). I've found the Prince shoes have nice, thick rubber on the toe-drag area, and the Adidas are thinner there, so that for me the toe wears out before the rest of the shoe is very worn at all.

What's worked for me is to take the old, dead shoes, and cut the sole rubber away from the foam of the shoe itself. Get rid of all the foam, until it's nothing but rubber. Cut a piece of sole rubber that's roughly the shape of your thumb. Super-glue it to the toe-drag area. For best wear, Shoe-Goo over the patch each time you play. The patch doesn't wear down as much as it chips away, and the Shoe-Goo slows this considerably.

When I first did this, I was worried the shoe would feel odd, or that I'd trip over the extra rubber on the toe. I've never actually been able to feel a difference while playing, but maybe that's just me. I showed a friend of mine my method, and he used it to keep a pair of shoes going, and he was very pleased with the results. YMMV.

Ronaldo
02-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Back-in-the-day before a shoe warranty, we used Kiwi Shoe Patch, which lasted longer than Shoe Goo. I used a product called Eternal Toe. http://www.tractorsupply.com/-737750599

zerojoshua
02-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Sounds like information I must try. I will attempt to get ahead of the wear when I get my new pair of Adidas Rod Laver (recommended by a local shoe repair store) from an auction site.

Thanks for the responses, now were getting somewhere!!

Ronaldo
02-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Sounds like information I must try. I will attempt to get ahead of the wear when I get my new pair of Adidas Rod Laver (recommended by a local shoe repair store) from an auction site.

Thanks for the responses, now were getting somewhere!!

That auction site has the Eternal Toe.

Hankenstein
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
A good advice is to cut out a couple of small patches of fiberglass and install it together with shoe goo.

First thin layer shoe goo, then fiberglass, shoe goo, fiberglass and so on, until its thick enough. Will make the shoe a tad more heavy but the show will last longer.