PDA

View Full Version : Head Prestige lines and arm problems

ultradr
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I've been using head prestige mp frames last 4-5 years. I have had
wrist, elbow problems on/off during that time. I'm pondering if the racquets
contributed any to it. Or just coincidence ? Prestige lines do have a bit of that brassy
feel to them. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Larrysümmers
02-03-2012, 04:44 PM
dont know, only hit a few serves with the mp, but it felt pretty close to my mid. they both feel sold yet soft to me. what string you using? i did think that my mid played stiffer with poly

The Big Kahuna
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
I have been playing with a Head Prestige PRO for 4 years now, first the Microgel and now the Youtek. I moved to this racquet because it received such high praise for it's stability and comfort. The MP has a tighter sting pattern and is a bit lighter, but the frame is still one of the better ones on the market. I suspect your arm problems lie in your string tension, selection, or how often you re-string more than the frame.

I moved to this racquet from a lighter frame that gave me arm problems and using it resolved the issue. Of course, I also restring once a month religiously and string my racquet towards the lower end of the tension range to promote a more arm-friendly response. I also choose soft polys, multis, and gut as string for the same reason.

Smasher08
02-03-2012, 04:57 PM
For wrist & elbow problems, BK's right: it's likely related to your string choice and stroke technique.

If you're using poly strings, make sure they're only in the crosses. Otherwise you're at risk for wrist, arm and shoulder issues.

ultradr
02-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks all for your inputs. I'm sure the string was a large factor. I used to play gut main poly cross hybrid at pretty high tension. After about 6 month of no tennis, I recently came back to tennis with full bed of natural gut. I'm slowly building up intensity and just checking if frame could be a small factor to it.

I think I've read somewhere here at the forum, a few youtek prestige users experienced some arm problems?

The Big Kahuna
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks all for your inputs. I'm sure the string was a large factor. I used to play gut main poly cross hybrid at pretty high tension. After about 6 month of no tennis, I recently came back to tennis with full bed of natural gut. I'm slowly building up intensity and just checking if frame could be a small factor to it.

I think I've read somewhere here at the forum, a few youtek prestige users experienced some arm problems?

SMASHER has a great thread on string for these racquets. I would check it out. He knows his stuff. In most cases, with a frame near 12 ozs., it's not the frame giving you arm trouble.

BTW, Smasher, ever use WC Misquito Bite 18 or Solinco Revolution 18 as crosses in your hybrid with gut mains? I have heard good things about both as crosses with gut in hybrid set-ups. Both have good reviews on Stringforum, too. Curious to know how they compare to MSV Co-Focus. They are about the same price.

movdqa
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I love poly in the Prestige but had arm issues when it was too light. Leading it up to 13.1 ounces takes out a lot of the harshness.

scotus
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM

I have read plenty of complaints about Youtek Prestige Pro being too stiff for the arm.

APG
02-03-2012, 06:00 PM
I have alluded to elbow issues from playing with the Prestge YTMP
several times. I had previously played with previous generations of the prestige. The YT version is far stiffer than it's specs suggest. I was on the DL for a year with GE and I played with gut at lower tensions.
The IG is suppose to be significantly softer.
I don't think it was accidental that Head soften up the Prestige which traditionally had noticeable flex but not as soft as the old Pro Tours.
My advise stop playing with the Youteks.

Fuji
02-03-2012, 07:13 PM
The Youtek Prestige Mid damaged my arm more then any other frame out there, including my Pure Drive Roddick GT+. It's stiffness and harshness at contact just murdered my elbow, totally unexplainable other then the fact that Youtek ACTUALLY works, just too well. When hitting my normal serving or forehand, I felt extreme pain with that frame. It was just too much.

-Fuji

Smasher08
02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
BTW, Smasher, ever use WC Misquito Bite 18 or Solinco Revolution 18 as crosses in your hybrid with gut mains? I have heard good things about both as crosses with gut in hybrid set-ups. Both have good reviews on Stringforum, too. Curious to know how they compare to MSV Co-Focus. They are about the same price.

I have an unused set of Tour Bite that I think I'll never get around to, and I'm thinking about trying VS mains to see if they're spinnier off the bat. As for crosses, I haven't heard about anything more spin-facilitating than CoF, so I'm not tempted to experiment just yet.

The weather's been too bad to hit for the past few weeks here in Toronto, but I'm trying to get on the courts tomorrow. My oldest hybrid is still at 33 hours, and I think it'll get close to 40 before going. The other one may last an additional 10-15 hours on top of that. Why change crosses that work, right?

stingstang
02-04-2012, 02:55 AM
You have to string sensibly on a small head 18x20. Stiff strings and high lb will turn the racket into a sheet of ply.

ghia
02-04-2012, 04:06 AM
The Prestige youtek MP did to my elbow what the pure drive did to my shoulder.

P.S.: the prestige was strung full alu power at 21.5 kg (around 47 - 47.5 in lbs.)

Marcus2137
02-04-2012, 07:25 AM
My racket for the last 12 years has a stiffness rating of RA77 (I strung in midd-60's), then I switched to a Prestige Pro. I've never had arm pain until picked up and started using a softer (RA60) Speed IG300. My arm would ache every time I played. I went back to the YTPP and my arm feels great again.

movdqa
02-04-2012, 07:35 AM
I have a PDR that I strung with Poly and that's far worse on my arm than the YTPMP. Fun racquet though. Still waiting for my IG Prestige MPs to arrive. I played two sets with the YTPMP yesterday and it felt great.

The Big Kahuna
02-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I have an unused set of Tour Bite that I think I'll never get around to, and I'm thinking about trying VS mains to see if they're spinnier off the bat. As for crosses, I haven't heard about anything more spin-facilitating than CoF, so I'm not tempted to experiment just yet.

The weather's been too bad to hit for the past few weeks here in Toronto, but I'm trying to get on the courts tomorrow. My oldest hybrid is still at 33 hours, and I think it'll get close to 40 before going. The other one may last an additional 10-15 hours on top of that. Why change crosses that work, right?

Exactly - unless you are changing racquets (which I am). I am going to the much more flexible and slightly lighter Prince EXO3 Tour 16x18. I have been a big fan of Head for the last ten years, but demoed the Prince EXO3 Tour 16x18 on a whim after reading some rave review here and the TW playtest and thought I might try it as I play doubles now nearly exclusively. It was amazing - I ordered two the next day. The YPP has been great - and I love those sticks - but the Prince EXO3 Tour 16x18 made everything a little easier and more comfortable (spin, control, volleys, returns, kick serves - it was outstanding).

Given that the Prince EXO3 Tour 16x18 has a flex rating of 52 and weighs 329 grams (compared to the YPP rating of 66 and weight of 335 grams) it is just that more forgiving and just that quicker than the YPP. It has been suggested by a number of sources that due to the more flexible nature of the frame, one might want to use a slightly crisper poly in the crosses. That is why I was asking about Solinco OUTLAST 18 and Weiss Cannon Mosquito Bite 18 as options to the MSV Co-Focus 18.

Anyone have any experience with these three strings as crosses with natural gut? I begin playtesting them (and WC Silverstring 17L) tomorrow myself.

vsbabolat
02-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I've been using head prestige mp frames last 4-5 years. I have had
wrist, elbow problems on/off during that time. I'm pondering if the racquets
contributed any to it. Or just coincidence ? Prestige lines do have a bit of that brassy
feel to them. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The Prestige Line did not start out having a brassy feel. It was not until the LiquidMetal that the Prestige became brassy. The IG Prestige is not brassy.

Torres
02-04-2012, 04:32 PM
The OP doesn't say what Prestige line he's using but the Youtek Prestiges are pretty stiff frames. If you're using a stiffer poly (or a dead poly because you re-string infrequently) then both those factors are potential contributors to arm wear and tear particularly if you play several times a week.

The Big Kahuna
02-05-2012, 07:15 AM
I've been using head prestige mp frames last 4-5 years. I have had wrist, elbow problems on/off during that time..

It would appear he is using a "mp" - or Mid Plus (regardless of the line). Those racquets, as you know, have the 18x20 string pattern and can play like a plank if strung incorrectly and with the wrong string or at the wrong tension. What version are you using of the Prestige ultradr?

The Big Kahuna
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
According to the GUTS AND GLORY website, the most comfortable and arm-friendly racquets for 2011 were:

Head LM Radical OS
Pacific X Feel Tour
Head Microgel Radical OS
Head YOUTEK Radical OS & Pro
Volkl DNX 10 Mid
ProKennex Redondo Mid & MP
Avery A5 OS
ProKennex Black Ace 93 & 98
Donnay X Black 94
Donnay X Blue 99
Donnay XP Dual
ProKennex Ki5