PDA

View Full Version : newbie's cross problem

tyu1314
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
first time string my blx six one 95 16x18 on the klippermate that i just bought.
I strung the racquet with one piece string.
I have no problem with the main, but kinda get confuse when i am doing the crosses.
Should i go over the top of the main or the bottom?

first string i start on the right side with bottom the left side end with over.
what about the second string (start from the left) and third (start from right), should they start from bottom or top???

I dont know but do it anyway
end up with right: down,down,over,down,over,down,over....
left : over, over , down over,down,over, down....

esgee48
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
When doing crosses, it does not matter whether you do the first cross over or under the first main. What matters is that if you go under the first main (or over) that you go over the next main. Repeat the 'weave' until you come out the last main. When you do the next cross, every weave is the opposite of the prior cross. So, if prior is over, you go under.

Your pattern of over, over or under, under is wrong. Should be over, under, over, under...

tyu1314
02-03-2012, 07:46 PM
so it the first string end with over,then second string would start with under?

esgee48
02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
If the first cross ends with an over, then the next cross starts with an under when you are going back the other way. However, bear in mind that the side mains sometimes do not go all the way down to the throat or go all the way to the tip. When you run into this situation, make sure that the common crosses exhibit the 'if over then next is under weave.' It isn't rocket science, just weaving. If 2 crosses next to each other show both over or both under, it's a misweave and you need to correct it.

coachrick
02-03-2012, 10:50 PM
You don't want to look at the 'big picture' and assume that 'the last string went over, next must go under'. The crosses at the top and bottom of the face will not 'cross' the same number of mains...take a look. You must weave according to the last cross installed, not just the last over/under. This is where most mis-weaves occur, I believe...harder to see, crossing more/fewer mains than the previous or subsequent crosses, not always easy to physically install the over/under and get the string into the grommet.

Don't overthink it...look and feel, grasshopper...be one with the string. ;)

fortun8son
02-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Easy to get lost or confused here because of the skipped holes.
If the first string ends over, the second must start over as well. It will end under. The third cross must also start under.
Then you can continue starting under until you get to the skips at the other end.
The next to last will start over and the last will start under.
Of course this only applies to 7,9H 7,9T(or 8,10) skip frames like your Wilson

Irvin
02-04-2012, 01:08 AM
...Your pattern of over, over or under, under is wrong. Should be over, under, over, under...

Maybe and maybe not.

so it the first string end with over,then second string would start with under?

Maybe and maybe not

I think 'esgee' is talking about how one cross goes through the mains and I think you are talking about all the mains.

Your inital post is very confusing. If you look at the cross on the top of the racket let's assume it goes over the main on the top right. The second cross will go under that main but over the last main on the top right. If you are talking about one cross string it always should alternate from over to under to over.

Easy to get lost or confused here because of the skipped holes.
If the first string ends over, the second must start over as well. It will end under. The third cross must also start under.
Then you can continue starting under until you get to the skips at the other end.
The next to last will start over and the last will start under.
Of course this only applies to 7,9H 7,9T(or 8,10) skip frames like your Wilson

Yes it is easy to get confused. If you are talking about one side of the racket for the first three crosses you are right but odd crosses start on one side and even on the other. So your second cross will be opposite because it is going through one more main on each side.
Depending on how many mains you go through some times you always start the same some time you don't. Let's assume your racket has 18 mains and skips 7 and 9 head and throat. If you first cross (in grommet hole 7) starts under a main the second cross (grommet hole 9) will go under a main first too.

Your center 14 crosses will start outside your outside main strings. All 14 of those crosses will start under the outside main. Because each odd and even cross is starting on opposite sides they will be strung opposite each other.

Irvin
02-04-2012, 01:53 AM
I made a picture to show what I am trying to say.
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/Irvin44_2008/wilson.png
The red dots in the picture show where the string should go over (or under) the mains. You crosses will start on the top (or bottom) on the left (or right) side. All odd numbered cross will go in the same direction and all even numbered cross will be strung opposite the odd crosses. Unless you are using an ATW or box pattern.

That racket above was strung one piece because it only has two knots. The long side was on the right because the knot is on the left. So if the red dot is over the bottom cross was strung O U O U O U O U O U O U (but right to left so it looks backwards.) the second cross was strung U O U O U O U O U O U O U O.

EDIT: Once you get to the center 14 mains you always start the same whether you are going left to right or right to left going over the first main then alternate every other main going to the other side.

Make sense?

dancraig
02-04-2012, 02:36 AM

Irvin
02-04-2012, 03:06 AM
One word of caution since you are new to stringing. If you are using two piece stringing starting at the top most people have a preference of going over or under the outside mains for one reason or another. Notice the bottom cross tie off for that racket is 11T and how close it is to the outside main. I would prefer to have my tie off string (16 cross) going over the intersecting string (8RM) so the knot will slide on the tie off string better past the intersecting string if necessary. So I would start this racket by going under the first main string.

EDIT: Using one piece stringing it does not matter because your tie off anchor string (5H) is a good distance away from the intersecting top cross string.

tyu1314
02-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Thank you guys for all the replies, especially Irvin, your photo is really helpful.

tyu1314
02-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I follow the photo and i got the same
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75383267@N05/6817458547/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75383267@N05/6817456209/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75383267@N05/6817453969/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75383267@N05/6817451821/in/photostream/