PDA

View Full Version : Prince EXO3 Warrior 100 Review

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Dgdavid
03-16-2012, 04:13 AM
New April edition of Tennis Head reviews "Advanced Rackets".
Warrior 100 got the Testers Choice Star for "Best for Power".

Summary says:

"This monster of a racket should really come with headgear, chest pads and leg protection. Not for the person who's holding it - for the poor soul down the other end of the court".

The others stars are:

Best for Feel - Wilson PS Staff Six.One 90 BLX (I assume they mean for the best feeling 'framed' shots...)
For Value - Karakal Pro
For Baseliners - Technifibre Tflash 315
Serve-Volley - Babolat Pure Drive
For Power - Warrior 100
For Men that women adore - Warrior 100

rlau
03-16-2012, 04:54 AM

Errrr............ :confused::confused::confused:

Dgdavid
03-16-2012, 06:08 AM
I think they mean best if your opponent tries to serve-volley with it :-)

JackB1
03-16-2012, 06:09 AM

Summary says:

"This monster of a racket should really come with headgear, chest pads and leg protection. Not for the person who's holding it - for the poor soul down the other end of the court".

The others stars are:

Best for Feel - Wilson PS Staff Six.One 90 BLX (I assume they mean for the best feeling 'framed' shots...)
For Value - Karakal Pro
For Power - Warrior 100

I think the PD is more powerful than the Warrior.

Power Player
03-16-2012, 07:12 AM

Summary says:

The others stars are:

For Value - Karakal Pro
For Power - Warrior 100

That entire list is lame.

Dgdavid
03-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Power, I think they asked each manufacturer to submit one or two each so only reviewed a finite list. I suspect it would be very different if they were given an open selection.

keithfival
03-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Well, here I go...just can't serve big enough with the Rebel Team... will report back after it arrives.

JackB1
03-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, here I go...just can't serve big enough with the Rebel Team... will report back after it arrives.

flexible racquets are harder to get pace on serve with. Try the Warrior and your serving woes will be a distant memory :-)

jackcrawford
03-16-2012, 08:12 AM
68, so yes, stiff but could be worse. Here are the specs:
Pacific X Fast Pro 100
Head Size: 100 sq. in. / 645.16 sq. cm.
Length: 27.25in / 69.22cm
Strung Weight: 11.2oz / 317.51g
Balance: 5 pts HL
Swingweight: 310
Stiffness: 68
Beam Width: 25mm / 23.5mm / 22.5mm /
Composition: Graphite / Basalt
Power Level: Medium-High
Stroke Style: Medium-Full
Swing Speed: Medium-Fast
String Pattern:16 Mains / 19 Crosses

The extra length is the only thing that concerns me because I'n not use to playing with extended length, but .25 should be easy to adjust to.

It is actually 27.36, feels like 27.5. It is not as good to me as the XForce by Pacific, which is a really nice 11 oz frame, stable and cushioned. I think the XFast hits just like an underpowered and less stable Pure Drive GT Plus. BTW, I think the 2012 Pure Drives are great frames, the GT series, not so much.

levy07
03-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Jack,

Which string set up do you like better with the Warrior? Thanks.

JackB1
03-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Jack,

Which string set up do you like better with the Warrior? Thanks.

Beast mains and Attack crosses

keithfival
03-16-2012, 01:56 PM
flexible racquets are harder to get pace on serve with. Try the Warrior and your serving woes will be a distant memory :-)

I'm taking your word for it! I suspect the dense pattern didn't help either, yah? I pulled out my APDC+ after a few frustrating sets last night and held at love with 3 unreturned serves right off the bat.

What I'm hoping is that the Warrior will basically let me play my APDC+ type of game (lots of pop and spin, racket speed, serve bombs) but with a more comfy feel and maybe the ability to hit a bit flatter when desired. Right?!?!? :)

JackB1
03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm taking your word for it! I suspect the dense pattern didn't help either, yah? I pulled out my APDC+ after a few frustrating sets last night and held at love with 3 unreturned serves right off the bat.

What I'm hoping is that the Warrior will basically let me play my APDC+ type of game (lots of pop and spin, racket speed, serve bombs) but with a more comfy feel and maybe the ability to hit a bit flatter when desired. Right?!?!? :)

that's exactly what it does!

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
I have hit twice with the Warrior. I purchased a strung up demo at my local tennis shop. One of the associates had strung it up for theirselves to hit with it. He put beast in the mains @ 58 and lightening spin in the crosses @ 62. I normally hit with a Gamma T-7 strung @ 53. With the Warrior strung tighter than I prefer, I found I had to really work to get the oomph on the ball that I wanted, but my hitting partner expressed that I was keeping him pinned well beyond the baseline and the balls were very heavy!!! I want to restring it with the beast/attack setup @ Jack's preferred tensions. I believe then I won't have to work quite as hard. I currently don't have a pack of this, but am hitting in the morning and I intend to put Dunlop Hexy fiber in @ 54/56 since that is my normal string, and see how things go from there. I am very pleased with the Warrior. It is the 1st prince racket I have been able to hit with since the old Triple Threat Rebel......

keithfival
03-17-2012, 03:58 AM
that's exactly what it does!

...and let's throw in better volleys and touch, right?!?!

Dgdavid
03-17-2012, 04:15 AM
I am still using Prince Syn Gut Duraflex and it is absolutely fine. In the review, Chris seemed to prefer a syn gut in it. I have two so might try one with the Beast/Attack to compare but its £26 every time I change!

keithfival
03-17-2012, 04:40 AM
I am still using Prince Syn Gut Duraflex and it is absolutely fine. In the review, Chris seemed to prefer a syn gut in it. I have two so might try one with the Beast/Attack to compare but its £26 every time I change!

Good to hear, I've always liked that string, especially for 5 bucks.

Dgdavid
03-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Good to hear, I've always liked that string, especially for 5 bucks.

Crikeym only 5 bucks in the US? I always knew I was a cheap date!

Dgdavid
03-17-2012, 10:04 AM
So Jack, if you had a completely free hand and were stringing the Warriors again,
would you go exactly Beast/Attack @ 53/55 again or would you vary the tension. I assume you have the Beast 53 in the mains?

DG

JackB1
03-17-2012, 03:39 PM
So Jack, if you had a completely free hand and were stringing the Warriors again,
would you go exactly Beast/Attack @ 53/55 again or would you vary the tension. I assume you have the Beast 53 in the mains?

DG

yep Beast in the mains and yes, I would do it exactly the same...its perfect!

Dgdavid
03-18-2012, 09:17 AM
yep Beast in the mains and yes, I would do it exactly the same...its perfect!

So is it:

Prince Beast Attack Hybrid 16? The 17 doesn't seem to be available as a pack in the UK.

JackB1
03-18-2012, 09:20 AM
So is it:

Prince Beast Attack Hybrid 16? The 17 doesn't seem to be available as a pack in the UK.

I used both in 17g. Beast mains at 52 and Attack crosses at 54.

Fed Kennedy
03-18-2012, 11:45 AM
How is this frame different/ better/ worse than the 03 white orginal? I thought the 03 was a great frame with lots of custom options....

Dgdavid
03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Had a harder time with the Warrior tonight. Match ended in a draw and the other player noted my forehands were diving to the court early and were less penetrating than usual despite good pace. Had to fight hard not to reach for the one remaining IG Prestige MP I still have. Is this something the Beast/Attack might help with or will it make it even more spinny that my Syn Gut Duraflex at mid?

JackB1
03-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Had a harder time with the Warrior tonight. Match ended in a draw and the other player noted my forehands were diving to the court early and were less penetrating than usual despite good pace. Had to fight hard not to reach for the one remaining IG Prestige MP I still have. Is this something the Beast/Attack might help with or will it make it even more spinny that my Syn Gut Duraflex at mid?

This sounds like "user error" to me. If your shots are landing short, aim higher over the net and drive the ball more with less spin. You could also try lower tension for more power? I think the Beast/attack will give you more spin.

Personally I don't have this issue whatsoever.. If I can't hit consistently deep with a racquet it usually means I need more power. I can't see how the less powerful Prestige would help this situation.

Dgdavid
03-19-2012, 02:23 AM
This sounds like "user error" to me. If your shots are landing short, aim higher over the net and drive the ball more with less spin. You could also try lower tension for more power? I think the Beast/attack will give you more spin.

Personally I don't have this issue whatsoever.. If I can't hit consistently deep with a racquet it usually means I need more power. I can't see how the less powerful Prestige would help this situation.

With the Prestige I hit a confident, full strength flat drive when going for a winner. The same shot with the Warrior brings the ball in closer. Warrior seems to rally well but I don't have the Prestige like confidence on the kill shot yet, maybe need to give it more time. Had that issue with my older Exo3 Tour 100 also, excellent rallying but winners were a challenge. Might be more of a tight vs open string pattern familiarity issue.

Jack, if I strung with just a full bed of Beast at 53, what do I lose by not have the Attack hybrid at 55?

JackB1
03-19-2012, 05:11 AM
With the Prestige I hit a confident, full strength flat drive when going for a winner. The same shot with the Warrior brings the ball in closer. Warrior seems to rally well but I don't have the Prestige like confidence on the kill shot yet, maybe need to give it more time. Had that issue with my older Exo3 Tour 100 also, excellent rallying but winners were a challenge. Might be more of a tight vs open string pattern familiarity issue.

Jack, if I strung with just a full bed of Beast at 53, what do I lose by not have the Attack hybrid at 55?

just some power and softness. You will gain more spin with full Beast. My demo had full Beast and it played very nice too.

it does sound like your issue is open vs dense pattern.

Dgdavid
03-19-2012, 05:16 AM
just some power and softness. You will gain more spin with full Beast. My demo had full Beast and it played very nice too.

it does sound like your issue is open vs dense pattern.

The retailer I use in UK has just ordered some Beast XP and Premier Attack so will get this done on Wednesday. They only have both in 16 so I will go 52/54. Sound correct? They are also going to match both my rackets.

I'm gaining more than I am losing on the open vs dense thing so will see how I go. Shop suggested adding 3-5g at 12 too.

JackB1
03-19-2012, 06:38 AM
The retailer I use in UK has just ordered some Beast XP and Premier Attack so will get this done on Wednesday. They only have both in 16 so I will go 52/54. Sound correct? They are also going to match both my rackets.

I'm gaining more than I am losing on the open vs dense thing so will see how I go. Shop suggested adding 3-5g at 12 too.

Adding weight at 12' is if you want to increase swingweight with the least amount of weight possible. Also if you want more pace on serves and more power overall. I like the stock Warrior's swingweight so no need for me to alter it at all.

keithfival
03-19-2012, 06:06 PM

One thing I have always noticed about Syngut Duraflex is that balls tend to stay low and a little short. That's why I stopped using it when I played with a low powered frame, hard to get depth, and that is actually why I do use it sometimes as a cross string in a powerful frame with a powerful main string, it helps bring the ball down and not sail long. So, maybe try it with another string set up and see.

simplysimon
03-20-2012, 07:16 AM
I was having elbow problems a year ago and switched to the EXO3 Tour 16x18 to resolve it - which it did. Then my son switched to it too. But I had to add a lot of lead to help get the ball off and through the court a little faster. When I saw the Warrior coming out I thought it would be worth a try based on the specs. I received it yesterday and strung it like I string all my son's other racquets so we could compare apples to apples (Solinco Tour Bite 17g mains - 55 lbs/ Gosen Og Sheep 17g crosses - 58 lbs.)

The racquet was very comfortable and had loads of fire power in it's stock form. Had to really keep the racquet face closed or be willing to constantly rattle the back fence. I could control it but my son wrestled with it a good bit. That was just a first hit - I think the racquet will work well for me and my elbow. The only thing I wasn't overly enthusiastic about is the racquet width is a good bit larger than my normal selections - but it didn't seem to be a problem in any way, just different than the norm. My son will probably be a challenge to convince. He's trying the new PDR 2012 and is practically convinced that's the stick for him (although the stiffness rating concerns me).

Nostradamus
03-20-2012, 07:25 AM
ok I got to play 2 sets today with the warrior and its a nice racquet. Wasn't as whippy as I thought it was going to be and it felt pretty solid stock and I don't think I would add any weight to it. The beam is a little thicker than I would like and it the racquet does feel a little large and clunky. For some reason the hoop looks bigger than other 100" racquets. The racquet has a nice combination of power and control. Not quite as powerful as my Becker, but no slouch either. Spin was easy to get with the very open pattern and round shaped head. I hit some nice kickers with it, but couldn't get the same pace as normal on flatter serves. Feel was in the middle...not too flexy and not too stiff.
Really liked this racquet from the baseline. Groundstrokes felt good and you didn't have to work too hard to maintain depth. Volleys were very good and the racquet felt nice and solid on punch volleys.

I think this racquet could fit a wide variety of players and would be a great choice for 3.5-4.0 players. I think this is a nice upgrade from the EXO3 Black and White.

how does it compare to prince O3 white ? also another tweener head ig Instinct in power and control and volleying ?

Dgdavid
03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
One thing I have always noticed about Syngut Duraflex is that balls tend to stay low and a little short. That's why I stopped using it when I played with a low powered frame, hard to get depth, and that is actually why I do use it sometimes as a cross string in a powerful frame with a powerful main string, it helps bring the ball down and not sail long. So, maybe try it with another string set up and see.

Interestingly, I used my spare for the first time strung the same but it played much better. Is Syn Gut known for losing tension quickly? Either way, both are getting strung with Beast/Premier Attack at 52/54 tomorrow (both 16g). Having the frames matched too.

JackB1
03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Interestingly, I used my spare for the first time strung the same but it played much better. Is Syn Gut known for losing tension quickly? Either way, both are getting strung with Beast/Premier Attack at 52/54 tomorrow (both 16g). Having the frames matched too.

You're going to love the Beast/Attack combo. Especially after it breaks in a little.

keithfival
03-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Ok Jack, Warrior should arrive tomorrow, unstrung. I'm assuming I want to string for control as I would an APD or the like? It's going to have plenty of pop no matter what eh?

Thanks!

Nostradamus
03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Ok Jack, Warrior should arrive tomorrow, unstrung. I'm assuming I want to string for control as I would an APD or the like? It's going to have plenty of pop no matter what eh?

Thanks!

Let me know what kind of serving racket it is. thanks

Dgdavid
03-21-2012, 03:18 AM

Overhead. :)

chollyred
03-21-2012, 03:26 AM

Hey Nostradamus, you should already know! :D

One of these days I'm going to have to travel across town to meet Jack and all of these racquets.

JackB1
03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Hey Nostradamus, you should already know! :D

One of these days I'm going to have to travel across town to meet Jack and all of these racquets.

Bring it on :-)

I only have 5 right now...2 Warriors, 2 Rebel 98s and 1 Vcore 98.
The rest are in my "files" :-)

JackB1
03-21-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks!

Its not as powerful as you think. Try mid to start and go from there.
Its not quite as powerful as the APD so I would go 1 or 2 lbs lower than
your norm for the APD.

JackB1
03-21-2012, 07:33 AM

Right up there with best serving racquets.

BC1
03-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Jack,
Are you having any fun or luck with your Rebel 98s?
I played again with mine last night and quickly realized (again) what a great frame it is. Played great for the first 6 games, then when I become unfocused it started going downhill (my weakness, not the racquet). But as long as you put a little effort into it, I find it perfect.

I still haven't tried the beast/attack hybrid in it, but I got it ordered.

EDIT... Jack, no need to reply. I just saw your last post in the Rebel thread and my questions were answered - tnks

Dgdavid
03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Bring it on :-)

I only have 5 right now...2 Warriors, 2 Rebel 98s and 1 Vcore 98.
The rest are in my "files" :-)

That's odd! My two Warriors are going to take longer in the shop than I thought so have brought home a demo for...VCore 98D!! How do you like it Jack?

Incidentally, my Warriors are 3.4 oz difference static weight. On is 307 unstrung, the other is 310.4. Getting them matched "invisibly" but going to take a few days. Luckily, the heavier one is my preferred racket. So, using the VCore and/or my Prestige Mid at the club social tonight.

JackB1
03-21-2012, 08:44 AM
That's odd! My two Warriors are going to take longer in the shop than I thought so have brought home a demo for...VCore 98D!! How do you like it Jack?

Incidentally, my Warriors are 3.4 oz difference static weight. On is 307 unstrung, the other is 310.4. Getting them matched "invisibly" but going to take a few days. Luckily, the heavier one is my preferred racket. So, using the VCore and/or my Prestige Mid at the club social tonight.

The VCore98 is great. Not as much power as the Warrior. Maybe equal to the Rebel 98 in that regard. Its also more stiff feeling than the Warrior. That's probably its biggest negative. That and the weird Yonex handle/buttcap with no flare. But I could easily switch to the VCore 98D and do fine with it. I have one that is like new that I am trying to sell (its a 4 1/2).

keithfival
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Its not as powerful as you think. Try mid to start and go from there.
Its not quite as powerful as the APD so I would go 1 or 2 lbs lower than
your norm for the APD.

Hm. I string the APD kind of funny to get around the stiffness. I like it best (performance wise) with full poly at 57 but that was too harsh so I ended up at 50 or hybrid 50/57.

So, less power than APD but certainly more power than say Rebel Team or MG Rad right? I have both of those at ~52. So maybe 54/56? I guess that's just what you have.

Or, Is the warrior comfy enough to go full poly at 57? (ALways been my favorite.)

Dgdavid
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I suspect Shipping to England might make it uneconomic! I sold my Rebel 98 by the way. Gave me nothing the Warrior doesn't match or exceed for me.

BC1
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Hm. I string the APD kind of funny to get around the stiffness. I like it best (performance wise) with full poly at 57 but that was too harsh so I ended up at 50 or hybrid 50/57.

So, less power than APD but certainly more power than say Rebel Team or MG Rad right? I have both of those at ~52. So maybe 54/56? I guess that's just what you have.

Or, Is the warrior comfy enough to go full poly at 57? (ALways been my favorite.)

IMO the warrior would be fine at full poly at 57. Especially with a softer poly.
Might want to do 56 to be safe.

JackB1
03-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Prince Beast is just magical in this racquet. Try a full job at 54.

keithfival
03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
IMO the warrior would be fine at full poly at 57. Especially with a softer poly.
Might want to do 56 to be safe.

Thanks. Think I will do 56.

By the way, can't finding any stringing info on this, same as exo3 Black??

JackB1
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks. Think I will do 56.

By the way, can't finding any stringing info on this, same as exo3 Black??

Make sure and mount the racquet with the silver grommet on the right side (at the top) or your crosses won't work.

It's pretty obvious where the tie offs and skips are. I'll check later if u need more specific instructions

Dgdavid
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, do you think Beast at 52 and Attack at 54 might be too low?

Nostradamus
03-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Right up there with best serving racquets.

Better than the pure drives ?

JackB1
03-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Yessssssssir

keithfival
03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Make sure and mount the racquet with the silver grommet on the right side (at the top) or your crosses won't work.

It's pretty obvious where the tie offs and skips are. I'll check later if u need more specific instructions

Thanks Jack, had you not sent this I would have done it backwards since the on the Rebel the short side goes on the left.

I strung it with Enduro Tour 18g and Dunlop Comfort Synth 16g at 56/57. (Those are the only strings I have left at the moment but have been a perfectly fine combo for me). Will definitely keep in mind Beast at 54 when I order more strings.

JackB1
03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Hmmm, do you think Beast at 52 and Attack at 54 might be too low?

that's only for you to say. If you are having issues controlling the power, than its too low. I don't think it will be too low, but try it out and see.

keithfival
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I hesitate to say too much since I am very susceptible to honeymoon period. I will say I liked a lot. I liked it more and more as the night went on. Played 3 or so hours of singles and doubles, unfortunately not much time to just rally as the courts were busy so I just jumped in to matches and was just acclimating during match play as I went along (which wasn't that hard.)

The things I liked best were:

1) First Serve. I've never served with a racket where it was so easy to go from T serves to wide serves without changing grips or anything. Just very natural and easy. Probably 70-80% first serves in all night. I wouldn't say amazing power, but definitely very easy power, high % and hitting all the spots, including ones that I am usually not good at. Jack is on the money here!

2) Neutrality! I really enjoyed that the racket was very good across the board and responsive for all shots and didn't seem to have an exaggerated special feature (other than maybe the serve, which I'll take!). With most rackets I find myself gravitating to the thing the racket does best (topspin with the APD, hitting dead flat with the Rebel Team, etc.) and avoiding other shots that the racket doesn't excel at. With the Warrior i felt absolutely no influence from the frame-- flat, slice, topspin, lob, up the line, I just did whatever I wanted and the frame seemed to just fall in line beautifully. I wouldn't say any shots were amazing, but they were all very very solid and I enjoyed that fact more and more as the night went on.

3) BH up the line. I was able to go up the line easier and without it feeling risky at all. My longtime singles partner kept being caught off guard- he said it was much more disguised than usual which was probably because it felt more relaxed and natural which is kind of how everything felt.

Mine came in at 295g unstrung (5g below spec) and definitely feels a tad light. 321g strung with overgrip and EXO damper. I could see trying adding some weight to the head at some point but as the night went on I just felt content with the way it is for now.

Can't possibly make a conclusion without playing 5 or so different types of players but if I had a match tomorrow I would definitely start with it. So, thanks for the recommendation!:)

BC1
03-21-2012, 07:53 PM

I agree with jack. I have found the warrior to be better at serves then the pd2012
Not sure if i could say that about the old pds but definitely better the then the three new pds ive tried this year.

BC1
03-21-2012, 08:02 PM
^^^^^keith, nice review. I pretty much had the same first impressions, but with the addition of more power. That may have been due to my demo which was above spec in weight. With dampner and overgrip it weighed 11.5oz. It felt great at that weight. Good power, stability and plow-through. Yet still easy to get fast racquet speed. I think the balance was 4pts hl.

Nostradamus
03-22-2012, 02:27 AM
I agree with jack. I have found the warrior to be better at serves then the pd2012
Not sure if i could say that about the old pds but definitely better the then the three new pds ive tried this year.

Do you think this is superior in every respect to PD2012 ? or is there anything that PD does better than the worrior ?

BC1
03-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Do you think this is superior in every respect to PD2012 ? or is there anything that PD does better than the worrior ?

No, i wouldnt say one is definitevly superior over the other. However, in my experience, the warrior has more power then the new pds. That combined with the lower flex makes it feel and behave very different then the pd. I have found serves and overheads to be better with the warror. Topspin better with the warrior. Control and predicability and is better with the pd, but barely. Feel is a toss up - They are different. Groundstrokes about even. The pd is a great racquet and i have been torn between these two. One day i will like the pd better then the next i will prefer the warrior. The one thing that brings the warrior to the front for me is the grip and the feel of the racquet in your hand and the overall weight and balance. It is very comfortable and natural. With the pd, it for some reason feels awkward and cumbersome at times. The warrior feels more like a thinner players frame when swinging it and on contact. And to me the warrior is just more fun to play with. Dont know why, but it is and i find myself going for winners more with it, with the pd i play more defensively.

Once again, it is all subjective and so depended on the strings in either of these frames. I dont think one is clearly "better", and neither is inferior either.

McNasty
03-22-2012, 11:28 AM
I just strung mine up with a full bed of Babolat Xcel at 55lbs and am very happy with the results. I am still dialing in on my servve, but ground strokes and return of serve are significantly improved over my Pure Drives.

Nostradamus
03-22-2012, 05:04 PM
No, i wouldnt say one is definitevly superior over the other. However, in my experience, the warrior has more power then the new pds. That combined with the lower flex makes it feel and behave very different then the pd. I have found serves and overheads to be better with the warror. Topspin better with the warrior. Control and predicability and is better with the pd, but barely. Feel is a toss up - They are different. Groundstrokes about even. The pd is a great racquet and i have been torn between these two. One day i will like the pd better then the next i will prefer the warrior. The one thing that brings the warrior to the front for me is the grip and the feel of the racquet in your hand and the overall weight and balance. It is very comfortable and natural. With the pd, it for some reason feels awkward and cumbersome at times. The warrior feels more like a thinner players frame when swinging it and on contact. And to me the warrior is just more fun to play with. Dont know why, but it is and i find myself going for winners more with it, with the pd i play more defensively.

Once again, it is all subjective and so depended on the strings in either of these frames. I dont think one is clearly "better", and neither is inferior either.

GREAT unbiased review. You must become the staple of TW racket testers. I will put in the recommendation for you at TW. This kind of honest review blows away any kind of ratings or numbers review any day of the week.

Just one other question, have you also hit with Warrior Team version. and if so, what did you think of it. Similar racket but different specs.

Power Player
03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
The standard pd has a really low SW so I can see what bc1 is saying there. The plus version is the big hitter.

JackB1
03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Been toying with the Rebel 98, but for whatever reason, I play better and get better results with the Warrior. The Rebel is nice, but for some reason I mishit more with it, especially on volleys. Maybe its the slightly smaller oval head shape? My serve is also much more effective with the Warrior. I think I could play OK with the Rebel 98, but the Warrior seems to fit me like a glove and the string combo I have on it now is perfect.

BC1
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
GREAT unbiased review. You must become the staple of TW racket testers. I will put in the recommendation for you at TW. This kind of honest review blows away any kind of ratings or numbers review any day of the week.

Just one other question, have you also hit with Warrior Team version. and if so, what did you think of it. Similar racket but different specs.

Nostradamus, Thanks for the favorable endorsementt! I appreciate that. And i would be honored to do a tw racquet test review!! I definitely don't have an agenda, and since i don't own either of these it's easier to be subjective.

Yes, i have tried the team, and i liked it very much. Matter of fact, i created a thread based on it, "should i turn in my man card" or something like that. I,was very close to getting it after a great demo with it. Then i tried the reg warrior again, and then the pd again, and then the juice, and to be honest, right now i am as confused as ever. These are all very good racquets and i think i could play as well with any of them. They all have their strengths and they are all slightly different.

Obviously spec wise, the team is the most different. Comparing it to the reg warrior i would say it is slightly more forgiving and easier to play with, and as the description states it is a better fit for someone without a full fast swing, but that's not to say you can't take a full swing with it and get great results, you can. I loved the way it played. The only downside it had compared to the warrior was returning very heavy shots, and it didn't have the plow-through on heavy returns. But that was it. It has advantages too, including faster head speed, and the ability to flick shots back without much of a swing, maybe due to the hh balance. Its hard to mess up with this stick. I was shocked at how good it felt and played. Definitely worth a demo. At the time i thought the reg warrior would give a player more opportunity to advance and would be better against higher ranked players, but i'm not so sure now. I myself need to try it again.

I want to add something to my earlier review regarding the warrior. I played with it again tonight along with my rebel 98 - trying to pick one and settle down with it for a while. Anyway, the warrior demo i had was strung differently this time. It had a stiffer, less powerful poly in the mains at a higher tension. It was ok, but i definitely didnt like it as much. As everyone has said, the strings can make or break this racquet. It didnt have near the power, ball pocketing, or feel that i remember from my previous demo. I still liked it, but could tell a big difference, and i can see how some may not like it based on the string setup, but that goes for any racquet.

keithfival
03-23-2012, 07:47 AM
The warrior feels more like a thinner players frame when swinging it and on contact.

I noticed this too and really enjoyed that. It had the 'feel' of an all court, 95" thin beam frame, but lighter and with some free spin and pop. Probably first 100" that has felt that way to me.

I also agree with the PD having more control, I was bashing all out with that one right away and definitely felt much more cautious with the Warrior. Getting ready to give it a 2nd go shortly.

keithfival
03-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Anyone have any luck adding a little weight to this? Mine is 5g under spec and feels light in the head on a few shots- reflex volleys, kick serve, crosscourt BH return on big serves. Anyone else have this experience? I may have just strung too tight.

I hit a few balls with lead at 10 & 2, my usual spot, but felt out of control. Getting ready to try 3 & 9, with counter above the handle to try for a little more heft without adding more power.

keithfival
03-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Just hit some singles with about 3g at 3 & 9 and the same at the top of the handle (which should actually just bring it to spec, 326g with grips and all).

Really just the same as my first experience. First serve % through the roof (first set I think I hit a total of 3 second serves). Everything else not amazing but just solid across the board which enables me to just play very naturally and fluidly. I don't know what the playtesters problem with depth control was- I find that to be one of the best things about the warrior, when I want to put pressure on or approach I am getting great depth- right at the baseline repeatedly but without going long- and I've also gotten some sharp angle winners on the sideline so close to the net I couldn't believe it.

I also find it to be more all-court than the "baseline bashing" advertised. My groundies feel solid, not amazing, but easy to go btw flat, top and slice and easy to control depth. I'm getting better depth and bite on slice approaches and ending up with easy angle volleys which also feel nice and crisp. Finishing more points at net than at the baseline (moreso than usual).

The only downside at this point is I get that same tightness in my neck that I get with the APDC+, which is surprising because it feels so comfy and solid on impact. I think (hope!) I may have it strung too tightly and the combo of tight poly main and lightweight head is the prob. I really hope at least.

When my strings arrive I think I'll bring the poly down to 50-52, syn. cross at 54 or so, and add some more weight at the same spots and see if that helps. The frame really took well to the weight I added and feels like I could easy add another 5-10 grams or more.

BC1
03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
The standard pd has a really low SW so I can see what bc1 is saying there. The plus version is the big hitter.

Power, your pd might be winning me over (standard version). I tried a friends 2012 strung with a hybrid, excel and rpm. And i loved it. More power then the demo i had been playing with, same great control and feel. Touch shots where better then the warrior, power about the same. I sound like a broken record, but it is all about the strings!!

JackB1
03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Power, your pd might be winning me over (standard version). I tried a friends 2012 strung with a hybrid, excel and rpm. And i loved it. More power then the demo i had been playing with, same great control and feel. Touch shots where better then the warrior, power about the same. I sound like a broken record, but it is all about the strings!!

Was the excel in the mains?

BC1
03-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Was the excel in the mains?

No, but they were both at a lower tension so i assume thats what gave it the extra pop. He said it was originally strung at 54 two weeks ago. Probably 48 i would guess by now. Yet it still had surprising control.

JackB1
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
No, but they were both at a lower tension so i assume thats what gave it the extra pop. He said it was originally strung at 54 two weeks ago. Probably 48 i would guess by now. Yet it still had surprising control.

Personally I would easily pick the Warrior over the PD. The PD is 72 stiffness. That's extremely high. I had some TE about 2 yrs ago and I would hate for it to come back. The Warrior does everything the PD does, but does it with comfort and no harshness.

BC1
03-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Personally I would easily pick the Warrior over the PD. The PD is 72 stiffness. That's extremely high. I had some TE about 2 yrs ago and I would hate for it to come back. The Warrior does everything the PD does, but does it with comfort and no harshness.

Jack, those are all good points, and yes i agree the warrior does everything the pd does. I have played with a pd for over two years, sold my reg pd about two months ago and have been wandering around searching for a main racquet ever since. And missing it at tmes. I still have a pd roddick, but it is just too heavy. I am doing well with the rebel98 and believe its a great racquet but i still feel like a need a little more help, even though ive been playing as well with that as i have with any other racque and at times better. Regardless, im convinced i still want either the pd or warrior. I know i would be happy with either one. The pd doesnt play near as stiff as the numbers indicate and ive never had any arm problems with it even strung with full poly so that isn't a concern of mine (knock on wood). Im torn as ive mentioned many times. And it doesnt help that i already have that 9 pack babolat bag that keeps on taunting me too fill it with a new pd!!

BC1
03-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Jack, those are all good points, and yes i agree the warrior does everything the pd does. I have played with a pd for over two years, sold my reg pd about two months ago and have been wandering around searching for a main racquet ever since. And missing it at tmes. I still have a pd roddick, but it is just too heavy. I am doing well with the rebel98 and believe its a great racquet but i still feel like I need a little more help, even though i've been playing as well with that as i have with any other racquet and at times better. Regardless, im convinced i still want either the pd or warrior. I know i would be happy with either one. The pd doesn't play near as stiff as the numbers indicate and i've never had any arm problems with it, even strung with full poly so that isn't a concern of mine (knock on wood). Im torn as ive mentioned many times. And it doesnt help that i already have that 9 pack babolat bag that keeps on taunting me too fill it with a new pd!!

JackB1
03-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Jack, those are all good points, and yes i agree the warrior does everything the pd does. I have played with a pd for over two years, sold my reg pd about two months ago and have been wandering around searching for a main racquet ever since. And missing it at tmes. I still have a pd roddick, but it is just too heavy. I am doing well with the rebel98 and believe its a great racquet but i still feel like I need a little more help, even though i've been playing as well with that as i have with any other racquet and at times better. Regardless, im convinced i still want either the pd or warrior. I know i would be happy with either one. The pd doesn't play near as stiff as the numbers indicate and i've never had any arm problems with it, even strung with full poly so that isn't a concern of mine (knock on wood). Im torn as ive mentioned many times. And it doesnt help that i already have that 9 pack babolat bag that keeps on taunting me too fill it with a new pd!!

Since you are OK with either, just go with whichever gives you better results in competition. Play with 1 for a month, then the other for a month. Whichever racquet you win with more is "the one".

BC1
03-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Since you are OK with either, just go with whichever gives you better results in competition. Play with 1 for a month, then the other for a month. Whichever racquet you win with more is "the one".

Can't disagree with that logic.
I just saw where prince re-released the 03 speedport black. I played with that before the pd. Fun racquet! Probably the best serving racquet, as far as power goes, that i ever used.

JackB1
03-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Can't disagree with that logic.
I just saw where prince re-released the 03 speedport black. I played with that before the pd. Fun racquet! Probably the best serving racquet, as far as power goes, that i ever used.

The Warrior is a huge improvement over the Black, so I'm not really interested in the Black. Plus its super stiff.

Power Player
03-24-2012, 08:07 AM
The super stiff racquets give you such an advantage if you hit with spin, but you have to make sure your arm can handle it. The more I work on my technique, the more I use my whole body to hit and the less I ever feel anything besides the sweet spot of my pd. Also if you are using poly at all it is probably a mistake. I am not going to poly until I start breaking rip control too fast, which is starting to happen since I shored up my technique..but I wouod strongly suggest avoiding poly until you can break multis like rip 16 in under 6 hours because you simply do not need it, and it can get to your arm over time even in softer racquets. My personal rule for switching back to poly is if I simply am tearing through rip control, playing with no pain, and am consistently hitting the sweet spot.

I saw a lot of prince racquets at the ericcsson. No warriors though, but tons of exo 100s being used hitting partners, coaches and a few pros. Saw some new rebels as well.

keithfival
03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Hey PP, what other non-poly setups have you liked in your PD besides RIP?

Power Player
03-24-2012, 11:37 AM
That's all I tried besides prince premier attack. I'm sticking with one setup and just working on my game since changing strings usually screws me up. Rip is very unique and gives a ton of spin and control, and lasts longer than a normal multi so I'm not sure where is anything else close.

BC1
03-24-2012, 02:41 PM
That's all I tried besides prince premier attack. I'm sticking with one setup and just working on my game since changing strings usually screws me up. Rip is very unique and gives a ton of spin and control, and lasts longer than a normal multi so I'm not sure where is anything else close.

How is Rip as far as power goes? From your comments i see that it is mostly a control string, but does that mean it has no pop at all? How is it at a lower tension, say around 54 or 52?

keithfival
03-24-2012, 07:19 PM
How is Rip as far as power goes? From your comments i see that it is mostly a control string, but does that mean it has no pop at all? How is it at a lower tension, say around 54 or 52?

My experience with RIP is that it actually prevents power. It has a strange power limiting feel like a governor on a school bus set to 35mph!

Power Player
03-24-2012, 07:38 PM
My experience with RIP is that it actually prevents power. It has a strange power limiting feel like a governor on a school bus set to 35mph!

??

You can hit hit big with it..real big, but it is more of a control string. Its like poly..you can hit big with poly, but obviously it gives you low powered control.

keithfival
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
??

You can hit hit big with it..real big, but it is more of a control string. Its like poly..you can hit big with poly, but obviously it gives you low powered control.

Hm, what tension? I tried a full bed at high 50's, couldn't get a ball to the baseline. Dropped to 52, still less power than poly at SPPP 57 but had to use more spin to keep the ball from looping long. It really seemed to absorb the energy I put into the ball!

Anyway, still going with the Warrior. Definitely a bit light in the head compared to my APDC+, played a 5.5 in doubles who I'd faced before and the Warrior did not hold up against that kind of weight/pace nearly as well as the Bab which had no problem with it. On the other hand, last time we lost and this time we won.

I will keep experimenting with adding weight, currently ay 330g, but even despite that one issue, I have not wanted to reach into my bag for another racket a single time since getting the Warrior which says a ton. It's just so good all around, I just really enjoy it and feel like there's a lot of room to grow with it.

Dgdavid
03-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Just an update from me. Got my rackets back restrung with Beast 16 at 52 and Attack 16 at 54. Hit against the wall the other day with them and didn't like them as much as the Syn Gut. However, when I pulled them out for a match today, they played really well for me. Serve and topspin backhand noticeably better, the rest fairly similar. Very glad I did it, good recommendation Jack.

Now if it wasn't for my Prostaff BLX 90 ruining my new found racket Karma, I would be settled for sure on the Warriors. All my Prestiges, Rebels etc now sold. Think the Warrior is here to stay for quite some time as my main singles match racket.

ps. The PS BLX 90 is also amazing in a match. Deceptively forgiving for a 90 inch head and let me play very flat. Attacked better with the Warrior though.

JackB1
03-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Just an update from me. Got my rackets back restrung with Beast 16 at 52 and Attack 16 at 54. Hit against the wall the other day with them and didn't like them as much as the Syn Gut. However, when I pulled them out for a match today, they played really well for me. Serve and topspin backhand noticeably better, the rest fairly similar. Very glad I did it, good recommendation Jack.

Now if it wasn't for my Prostaff BLX 90 ruining my new found racket Karma, I would be settled for sure on the Warriors. All my Prestiges, Rebels etc now sold. Think the Warrior is here to stay for quite some time as my main singles match racket.

ps. The PS BLX 90 is also amazing in a match. Deceptively forgiving for a 90 inch head and let me play very flat. Attacked better with the Warrior though.

For some reason, the Beast/Attack combo needs a couple of hours to break in and then it plays fantastic. I didn't like it first hit either.

keithfival
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Any of you guys able to compare the Warrior with the Original 03 White? Seem very similar specs... but $79.

JackB1
03-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Any of you guys able to compare the Warrior with the Original 03 White? Seem very similar specs... but $79.

Only way to be sure would be to demo both. I tried the EXO3 White and that was toooo powerful for me and also lighter static weight and more head heavy with thicker beam.

ollinger
03-26-2012, 04:59 AM
^^ thicker beam? Not really. TW has the Exo White at 23/25/23, the Warrior at 24/25.5/22.5, trivial differences but actually giving the Warrior both a higher average and higher widest point.

keithfival
03-26-2012, 06:22 AM
^^ thicker beam? Not really. TW has the Exo White at 23/25/23, the Warrior at 24/25.5/22.5, trivial differences but actually giving the Warrior both a higher average and higher widest point.

For some reason the Warrior doesn't feel like a thik beam. I never seem to catch the edge of it like I did on the APD. Just feels like a thin beam somehow.

JackB1
03-26-2012, 07:26 AM
For some reason the Warrior doesn't feel like a thik beam. I never seem to catch the edge of it like I did on the APD. Just feels like a thin beam somehow.

I was just about to say the same exact thing :)

Dgdavid
03-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Hey Jack/Bc1, have you watched the Donnay Formula 100 video and read the comments (especially Chris and britts?). Planning to try it out? At £167 GBP plus shipping, it's a bit much to buy on a whim in UK!

Also, I happened across the customer reviews for the Dunlop Biomimetic 500 Tour with unusually stellar reviews? Did either of you try it?

Power Player
03-28-2012, 07:31 AM
^^^

dude, just work on hitting clean with what you have. the donnay is not going to be that much better if better at all. It is the same type of racquet as what you have. I have the pure drive and they claim the donnay feels better. Cool..I doubt it would do a thing for my game more than what I'm using now.

JackB1
03-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Hey Jack/Bc1, have you watched the Donnay Formula 100 video and read the comments (especially Chris and britts?). Planning to try it out? At £167 GBP plus shipping, it's a bit much to buy on a whim in UK!

Also, I happened across the customer reviews for the Dunlop Biomimetic 500 Tour with unusually stellar reviews? Did either of you try it?

Plan on sticking with just the Warrior for now and just the Rebel 98 occasionally for practice/rec play.

Dgdavid
03-28-2012, 08:23 AM
^^^

dude, just work on hitting clean with what you have. the donnay is not going to be that much better if better at all. It is the same type of racquet as what you have. I have the pure drive and they claim the donnay feels better. Cool..I doubt it would do a thing for my game more than what I'm using now.

Where's the fun in that PP?! The biggest problem with the Warrior is...I already own it :-)

Power Player
03-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Don't you want to get better at tennis though? I have switched enough sticks to tell you that it's a waste of time, and you will play much better with a consistent string/racquet setup.

Dgdavid
03-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Yes you are right of course, still getting over the excitement of all the new rackets in 2012. My switch to the warrior for my singles match racket bedded in fast though.

BC1
03-28-2012, 09:39 AM

Dg - Yes I had the Dunlop Bio 500 tour for a while. And as usual, my addiction forced me trade it without good reason. It is a great racquet. Feels more like a players racquet. Has some flex and plenty of power, and I think due to the ovalish head shape more control then some others. It actually reminds me of the warrior in many ways (except for the headshape). I have thought about going back to it recently.

HOWEVER, my never ending racquet quest just lead me to the 6.1 Team. I had a brief three day experiment with the PD2012, went through two string jobs and even tried Jacks attack/beast hybrid, anyway I just never clicked fully with it - in play or feel. Instead of trying to force myself to love it, I decided to trade it in for a new 6.1 team. It's being strung now. I'm afraid to make any predictions, but I hope it's a keeper. Still loving the Rebel 98 and I think the 6.1 team may be another similar lightweight players type racquet and fun to experiment with. I'm going to try my best to stay away from the power tweeners and stick to the lightweight players frames. BTW - In hinesight - I did end up preferring the Warrior over the PD.

BC1
03-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes you are right of course, still getting over the excitement of all the new rackets in 2012. My switch to the warrior for my singles match racket bedded in fast though.

Dg - you're not alone in your excitement. This is the best time of the year (new racquet season)!

And PowerPlayer - "Yes" I too know that it's not good for my game, But as DG stated it's just too much fun. And who knows, we may find that "perfect" racquet. I know, very unlikely due our "condition", but it's fun trying!!

Power Player
03-28-2012, 10:04 AM
I agree it is fun to try sticks, but I also am having more fun now..hitting so much better and not thinking about anything but my game. You will get there too after a bunch of racquets and improved technique.

Takes a long time to figure out what you need and what style you play.

BC1
03-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I agree it is fun to try sticks, but I also am having more fun now..hitting so much better and not thinking about anything but my game. You will get there too after a bunch of racquets and improved technique.

Takes a long time to figure out what you need and what style you play.

I know and you are 100 percent correct. I've been there - and it is a great feeling to be at ease and confident in your racquet. And as we all know that confidence improves your game dramatically.

I personally am going to stop now. I have 4 types of racquets in my bag (Rebel 98, 6.1 team, Head ig instinct, and pdgt roddick). Between all of those if I ever get the itch to try something "new" I should be able to choose between those. Right Now I'm sticking to the Rebel 98 when it counts and will see how the 6.1 team goes when I have time to play around.

Power Player
03-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Figure out a headsize you like best..you have all these different headsizes.

The biggest challenge with the Team will be to see if you can hit clean with it over and over and not shank.

I messed with 90-100 and while I love 90s and 95s, my cleanest, most powerful shots consistently come from the 100.

BC1
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Figure out a headsize you like best..you have all these different headsizes.

The biggest challenge with the Team will be to see if you can hit clean with it over and over and not shank.

I messed with 90-100 and while I love 90s and 95s, my cleanest, most powerful shots consistently come from the 100.

Yes I know they are all very different - and that is by design. Now when I "think" I need a certain type or weight racquet I have options that will set me straight.

If I had to pick my perfect head size I think it would be the 98 - and 95 or 100 is not too far off - there really isn't much difference. I'm hoping the weight of the team will allow me to be more consistent with my strokes and hitting the middle of the string bed. The weight of the Regular 6.1 95 caused me to be off at times.

BC1
03-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Power Player: BTW I have been following your posts, vids and pics of the Miami Ericsson Open on the Racketaholics thread - Nice! I'd do anything to be there in person. Thanks for sharing. Also great instructional tips as well!!

I wish I would have followed your advice all the way and tried the PLUS version of the pd2012 - I might have kept that one. But I'm not going there now. The regualar version just felt kind of dead - like something was missing - and that was with all types of string jobs. Maybe it was just me though - I'm not blaming the racquet.

Power Player
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
If you get a wild hair try a + stick. It just matters what you like..your height..etc.

I learned more about hitting watching those practices than any lesson. I literally fixed some big time issues the next time I hit the court just from seeing those guys up close and realizing what I was doing wrong.

Half the place had a Pure Drive..lol..I saw a lot of EXO Tours too and some Rebel 98s...Wilsons everywhere and 1 Donnay, which was the formula 100.

BC1
03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Half the place had a Pure Drive..lol..I saw a lot of EXO Tours too and some Rebel 98s...Wilsons everywhere and 1 Donnay, which was the formula 100.

Very interesting. what's your take? Do you think most are PJs or the actual sticks? customized of course with lead. I would think most players in the top 50 may have pjs, but after that I'm not sure.

JackB1
03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey BC....do you string your Rebel 98 and Warrior different or same tension? Isn't the Rebel a little lower powered than the Warrior?
I decided to keep 1 Rebel 98 around, even though the Warrior is my main competitive stick and want to restrung it. I had full Attack 16 @ 55/51 and it was too springy.

BC1
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey BC....do you string your Rebel 98 and Warrior different or same tension? Isn't the Rebel a little lower powered than the Warrior?
I decided to keep 1 Rebel 98 around, even though the Warrior is my main competitive stick and want to restrung it. I had full Attack 16 @ 55/51 and it was too springy.

Unfortunately i'm not in possession of a warrior anymore. However i did have my local shop string up a demo to my specs when i tried it. And yes, i had the warrior strung slightly higher. After playing with both, i would reccomend 58 to 56 for warrior and 55/53 for rebel. The rebel is lowered power however i dont think by much. If you're not careful, balls will still fly.

As far as strings go, i cant help it but i just like alu power rough. It is never springy at any tension, yet it surprisingly feels comfortable if it is below 57. I know all the negatives of poly and i dont hit hard enough etc. But ive been open minded and tried many syn gut and multi and hybrids, and i just dont like them as much.

Power Player
03-28-2012, 07:44 PM
All the Babs I saw were retail..the princes I am not sure..wilson, I saw most were paint jobs, but there were retail ones too. The donnay was most likely retail.

Babolat only pjs for a few people like rafa, roddick and that's all I can think of.

As for the lux thing, I get it, but I also think you are wasting your money. Ask yourself each hit, how many balls are you hitting the sweetspot with so the ball comes off heavy with good spin.if its less than 5/10, there is no reason you can't use a multi or a hybrid setup.

Most people get into poly because 1/10 shots is a massive spinner and they forget the rest.

If you have to use poly at least try tour bite.it lasts longer and hits with bigtime spin...also costs less.

Also, I have to disagree with jack.i don't think any racqet does what the pure drive does. I know that is the new sales pitch for every stick "it's a lot like the pure drive!!" but nothing really is. The stiffness gives you a huge advantage, but you have to be hitting out in front and in the sweetspot most of the time or yes, you will risk bugging your arm.

Dgdavid
03-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Hmm, this is a tough one and I have really given PP and BC1's comments some thought. I gave myself the quietish November-February to try new rackets and get it grooved in and my journey has resulted in selecting rackets that have been successively better for me than what I started that period with (AeroProDrive and IG Speed 300).

The thing is, I have a nagging doubt I am not quite there yet but feel close. Right now, in a tough singles match, I would pick the Warrior 100 just ahead of the IG Prestige MP. Very different rackets but loved them both. I would like a bit more control/feel than the Warrior but an easier to spin racket than the Prestige. In fact, the Warrior that magically turns into the Prestige for the flat shot winner would be the one for me.

I feel closest to that destination so far with the Warrior. I also have a new PS BLX 90 (only one set so far) which I find more forgiving than the Prestige MP (even though its a 98 over a 90) but the idea of fine tuning from the Warrior appeals more either through string set-up (trying Jacks set up) or through something like the Donnay Formula 100. On paper, the Donnay sounds like it hits the spot but I could have said that about the Yonex Vcore 98d but hated it. Maybe, I like a lot of rackets but the fact they are all different means I cannot get what I want from a single racket.

So, I agree with PP on the need to settle down and I am late in my quest to be ready for the summer season but I do feel like I am so close to that perfect racket for me. Might finish my BLX trial, get a Donnay and decide just from them for the rest of 2012.

un6a
03-29-2012, 01:46 AM
On paper, the Donnay sounds like it hits the spot but I could have said that about the Yonex Vcore 98d but hated it.

Why did you hated Vcore 98D ?

Dgdavid
03-29-2012, 02:44 AM
Mainly that it did not feel very solid or stable to me and my backhands were flying off the string bed unpredictably. Back hand serve returns were a nightmare.

JackB1
03-29-2012, 08:23 AM
David...there is no "perfect" racquet. Just like there is no "perfect" anything in life.

JackB1
03-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Mainly that it did not feel very solid or stable to me and my backhands were flying off the string bed unpredictably. Back hand serve returns were a nightmare.

funny because I just sold my Vcore98 to a regular hitting partner and he has been playing better with it than ever before.

sometimes you just don't quite click with a certain racquet and the reason just isn't apparent.

Power Player
03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Also a frame that works for you can be dramatically enhanced or reduced by the string selection.

Dgdavid
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
David...Just like there is no "perfect" anything in life.

crikey, I'm off to walk in traffic!

Dgdavid
03-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Also a frame that works for you can be dramatically enhanced or reduced by the string selection.

Problem is it is at least £26 per racket everytime I change. Putting my two Warriors on the Beast/Attack Combo cost me £64. Thankfully, it seems to be working well. UK seems relatively expensive for Tennis compared to US.

JackB1
03-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Problem is it is at least £26 per racket everytime I change. Putting my two Warriors on the Beast/Attack Combo cost me £64. Thankfully, it seems to be working well. UK seems relatively expensive for Tennis compared to US.

So how are you liking the Beast/Attack combo?

Dgdavid
03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
So how are you liking the Beast/Attack combo?

Very nice so far, I played very well the other night with it. Going to switch between the rackets each game to keep them at the same play level. The tennis shop didn't have the bits they needed to match my frames 'invisibly' so will have that done in three months but will likely stick with this string combo again. The spin will be even more effective when we go onto the summer artificial grass courts. Good recommendation.

keithfival
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Get yourself a Klippermate stringer, ~$125. The Enduro/Gosen hybrid I've been using lately costs a whopping $2.50 per string job!

keithfival
03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Broke my original string job on the Warrior last night - was getting great control at 56/57 hybrid but had been wanting to try lower tension thinking it might gave a more solid feel (more pocket)- so restrung Outlast/Titan at 50/54. I have a match tonight, so I hope it's not too much of an adjustment!

My feelings about the Warrior have been unusually consistent so far. I've really enjoyed the control (hitting very few balls long when attacking, many balls right at the baseline), versatility (mid-court volleys/half volleys, droppers, slice, flat), and the very high first serve %, which has enabled me to play consistently well.

Only issue is still the feeling of it being so light/insubstantial. After breaking the strings last night I played the last few minutes with my APDC+ which felt like a 13oz racket on impact in comparison. I have added 7g to the shaft and maybe 3g at 3 & 9 but haven't been able to add more to the head without losing control. Will see how it feels tonight with the lower tension.

JackB1
03-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Broke my original string job on the Warrior last night - was getting great control at 56/57 hybrid but had been wanting to try lower tension thinking it might gave a more solid feel (more pocket)- so restrung Outlast/Titan at 50/54. I have a match tonight, so I hope it's not too much of an adjustment!

My feelings about the Warrior have been unusually consistent so far. I've really enjoyed the control (hitting very few balls long when attacking, many balls right at the baseline), versatility (mid-court volleys/half volleys, droppers, slice, flat), and the very high first serve %, which has enabled me to play consistently well.

Only issue is still the feeling of it being so light/insubstantial. After breaking the strings last night I played the last few minutes with my APDC+ which felt like a 13oz racket on impact in comparison. I have added 7g to the shaft and maybe 3g at 3 & 9 but haven't been able to add more to the head without losing control. Will see how it feels tonight with the lower tension.

that's funny...I just restrung one of mine with Outlast / Premiere Attack at 52/54. Played about 3 hours of dubs tonite and it was pretty nice. Not as powerful and soft as the Beast combo though. But I have to see how it is on second hit. First time is usually not enough to judge as tension will loosen up a little next time out.

keithfival
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
that's funny...I just restrung one of mine with Outlast / Premiere Attack at 52/54. Played about 3 hours of dubs tonite and it was pretty nice. Not as powerful and soft as the Beast combo though. But I have to see how it is on second hit. First time is usually not enough to judge as tension will loosen up a little next time out.

I thought the same thing but I'm afraid I'm not making it to the second hit! The red looked good in the frame (needs some color!) but I didn't really care for it. Lost some control over my previous (Enduro 18/ Dunlop Comfort Syn 16 @ 56/57) and didn't gain anything else in return. More importantly, it definitely aggravated this tightness in my neck quite a bit more. I grinded out a long league singles match (serving almost exclusively first serves really comes in handy!) and by the end my neck was very sore.

I just restrung with full syn gut @ 57 (Pro Supex Titan, which is sposed to be soft) to see if it's just the poly that's bothering me (I suspect the poly combined with the light weight). If that doesn't do it I'm afraid I'll have to put her up for sale even though I really play well with and enjoy the stick a lot. I have sticks that don't bother my neck so I know they are out there so I can't stick with one that does. We'll see...

JackB1
03-29-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought the same thing but I'm afraid I'm not making it to the second hit! The red looked good in the frame (needs some color!) but I didn't really care for it. Lost some control over my previous (Enduro 18/ Dunlop Comfort Syn 16 @ 56/57) and didn't gain anything else in return. More importantly, it definitely aggravated this tightness in my neck quite a bit more. I grinded out a long league singles match (serving almost exclusively first serves really comes in handy!) and by the end my neck was very sore.

I just restrung with full syn gut @ 57 (Pro Supex Titan, which is sposed to be soft) to see if it's just the poly that's bothering me (I suspect the poly combined with the light weight). If that doesn't do it I'm afraid I'll have to put her up for sale even though I really play well with and enjoy the stick a lot. I have sticks that don't bother my neck so I know they are out there so I can't stick with one that does. We'll see...

I don't understand how a racquet can bother your neck? You sure its not a technique issue?

BC1
03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
crikey, I'm off to walk in traffic!

Dg, you always make me laugh. Great sense of humor. Love it!

keithfival
03-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't understand how a racquet can bother your neck? You sure its not a technique issue?

Don't really know but I have 4 frames, two of them bother it and two don't at all (MG Rad, Rebel Team). Unfortunately, I play the best with the 2 that do (APDC+, Warrior). While I'm playing with them my neck gets tight on the right side (and the muscle behind my collar bone) and can stay tight for days. Last week right in the middle of all that I played 4 sets of singles with the Rad and didn't feel it at all.

The Rad is weighted to 340g, ~5pts HL with a 4 5/8grip plus overgrip, while the Rebel is only 323g, even bal, with particularly small 4 3/8 and one over grip. So it would seem independent of weight, bal and grip size. Both are strung with the same Enduro hybrid I used first on the Warrior (although a bit lower tension). The rebel team is also the same stiffness as the warrior so it wouldn't seem to be that.

The only common spec between the Rad and Rebel Team that's different from the other two is the 18x20 and smaller headsize. Why would that matter??

At first I thought it was from the lasso FH I use with the APDC+ (it just makes me do it) but I hit mostly flat with the Warrior. Is a 100", open pattern less forgiving than a midsize dense pattern??

darklore009
03-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice review! Would this racket be comparable to the exo3 black?

Dgdavid
03-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Dg, you always make me laugh. Great sense of humor. Love it!

Thank you kind sir. How is the 6.1 Team coming along?

Pacific
03-29-2012, 11:54 PM

I saw in your sig that you used Rip Control and I wanted to know if it was more or less powerfull than those poly : Lux alu power - Tecnifibre pro red code 1.25 - Tecnifibre ruff code 1.25.

I really need to tame the power of my frame and I don't want to sting my poly higher than they already are (24 kg). So I thougt that maybe Rip Control at 25-26 kg would do the trick.

What do you think ?

Dgdavid
03-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Decided to move on from the Warriors now. They have been good for me but not quite what I am looking for. Up for sale in the Europe Classifieds.

Jack, your advice and comments have been much appreciated. I am not regretting the purchases, just that maybe somewhere between the two extremes of my IG Prestiges and the Warrior will fit me better.

JackB1
03-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Decided to move on from the Warriors now. They have been good for me but not quite what I am looking for. Up for sale in the Europe Classifieds.

Jack, your advice and comments have been much appreciated. I am not regretting the purchases, just that maybe somewhere between the two extremes of my IG Prestiges and the Warrior will fit me better.

Sorry to see you go!

For me, the Warrior has no shortcomings. If I don't play well, it's me and not the racquet.

Dgdavid
03-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Sorry to see you go!

For me, the Warrior has no shortcomings. If I don't play well, it's me and not the racquet.

I am playing well with it, in fact only lost two matches with the Warrior but I play better with the Prestige and most of my regular play partners think that also. Whilst I don't regret buying the Warrior, I do regret selling the Prestiges.

I'm going to play with a 500 Bio Tour for a while because I grooved with it instantly today over two matches (5 sets) even though I lost one of today's matches. Not going to say it is the one because I am terrible for honeymoons but a very positive first impression. Today at least it gave me both the spin of the Warrior (my favourite feature of the Warrior) and something much closer to the confident flat killshot of the Prestige. Don't know why but I just can't get that shot consistently on the Warrior and I did think it might be me but the fact is, I still have that shot with the Prestige and now with the Dunlop.

BC1
03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I am playing well with it, in fact only lost two matches with the Warrior but I play better with the Prestige and most of my regular play partners think that also. Whilst I don't regret buying the Warrior, I do regret selling the Prestiges.

I'm going to play with a 500 Bio Tour for a while because I grooved with it instantly today over two matches (5 sets) even though I lost one of today's matches. Not going to say it is the one because I am terrible for honeymoons but a very positive first impression. Today at least it gave me both the spin of the Warrior (my favourite feature of the Warrior) and something much closer to the confident flat killshot of the Prestige. Don't know why but I just can't get that shot consistently on the Warrior and I did think it might be me but the fact is, I still have that shot with the Prestige and now with the Dunlop.

I understand both of your comments about the warrior. I agree its a very good racquet with no shortcomings, but i also have experienced what david has as well. Granted, I know it's probably my shortcomings, not the racquets'.

I also have an ig instinct that has been sitting dormant for a few months, needs to be restrung. Jack, how would you compare the warrior to the instinct? If i remember correctly, the are very similar in many ways.

David, i think u will like the 500 tour, it has the forgiving tweener qualities with a playerish racquet type feel. Plus i like the dunlop head shape.,

The 6.1 team is good. And no faults, but it doesnt help you in any way. Or limit you. What you put into it is exactly what you get out of it. GREAT feel and control and surprising power if hit right.

keithfival
03-31-2012, 01:32 PM
Sorry to see you go!

I agree, there's no shot it doesn't do well, and flat serves are easier than any frame I've ever used. I didn't lose a match with it but I think the Warrior is just too light for me. I've never been one to add 20g of lead to a frame (successfully) so I'm moving on as well. Thanks for the rec's, I really enjoyed this one....

...check the for sale section.

keithfival
03-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Keep posted on the Bio 500T. I almost went for one of those after demoing a while back, I'd be curious how it compares to the Warrior for you.

Dgdavid
03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Keep posted on the Bio 500T. I almost went for one of those after demoing a while back, I'd be curious how it compares to the Warrior for you.

Will do. I have singles matches tomorrow evening, Monday evening and Tuesday evening plus a doubles game earlier on Monday so it's going to get a lot of use!

ps. I will start a separate thread for it rather than clutter the Warrior thread any further. I will post in here when a new thread goes up.

Power Player
03-31-2012, 02:00 PM
I saw in your sig that you used Rip Control and I wanted to know if it was more or less powerfull than those poly : Lux alu power - Tecnifibre pro red code 1.25 - Tecnifibre ruff code 1.25.

I really need to tame the power of my frame and I don't want to sting my poly higher than they already are (24 kg). So I thougt that maybe Rip Control at 25-26 kg would do the trick.

What do you think ?

Yes..I like rip because you can string it higher and control a power racquet. It also generates excellent spin. I found it by accident in a pro open, and it just is a perfect string for power racquets.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
03-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Since my first outing with the Warrior, I have had a busy schedule and just got a chance today to hit again. I restrung it with Dunlop Hexy Fiber, 54 mains, and 56 crosses. I am so satisfied with this set up. My hitting partner today is a retriever, exceptional player in getting everything back. He doesn't have an explosive shot, or put away so to speak. Hitting with him the racket was simply spot on. This upcoming weekend, I will have the opportunity to hit with a bomber. I will see how it handles a heavy ball. So for my second post in this thread, I am on the Warrior bandwagon....from the foothills of northwest Georgia....good night

JackB1
03-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Since my first outing with the Warrior, I have had a busy schedule and just got a chance today to hit again. I restrung it with Dunlop Hexy Fiber, 54 mains, and 56 crosses. I am so satisfied with this set up. My hitting partner today is a retriever, exceptional player in getting everything back. He doesn't have an explosive shot, or put away so to speak. Hitting with him the racket was simply spot on. This upcoming weekend, I will have the opportunity to hit with a bomber. I will see how it handles a heavy ball. So for my second post in this thread, I am on the Warrior bandwagon....from the foothills of northwest Georgia....good night

Glad to have another "Warrior" onboard! Enjoy this fantastic racquet :-)

BC1
03-31-2012, 06:15 PM

It handles heavy bombs very well. That was one of the things i liked best about it. My demo was heavier then stock, so it seemed to have plenty of stability.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-01-2012, 04:18 AM
I have noticed variance in weight/feel of the Warrior racket also. I have a Pacific X Force which weighs in at 11 ounces stock and the Warrior seems a noticeable amount heavier even though it is listed as 11 ounces also......so far, I am really enjoying what the Warrior has added to my game......

ATL Jack
04-01-2012, 05:57 AM
I am joining the club tomorrow by picking up a couple Warriors. I am switching from the KBlade 98 that I have been playing with for a few years. I want to switch to a more open string pattern and add a little power. I have been demoing racquets for a couple weeks and think the Warrior is perfect for me. It adds power without sacrificing control. I havent decided on a string yet, but I will probably give Attack 17 a try.

JackB1
04-01-2012, 06:48 AM
I have noticed variance in weight/feel of the Warrior racket also. I have a Pacific X Force which weighs in at 11 ounces stock and the Warrior seems a noticeable amount heavier even though it is listed as 11 ounces also......so far, I am really enjoying what the Warrior has added to my game......

that's ALL racquets. You can get + - 5 to 8 lbs.

But yes, the Warrior feels more substantial than most 11 oz sticks

JackB1
04-01-2012, 06:50 AM
I am joining the club tomorrow by picking up a couple Warriors. I am switching from the KBlade 98 that I have been playing with for a few years. I want to switch to a more open string pattern and add a little power. I have been demoing racquets for a couple weeks and think the Warrior is perfect for me. It adds power without sacrificing control. I havent decided on a string yet, but I will probably give Attack 17 a try.

Full attack setup will be very powerful. Make sure you string at least 56.
I would recommend what I have in my signature.

Dgdavid
04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
well, things just got serious at my club as I am up to the second top Box in our leagues and all the other 5 players in the box all seem stronger. The fact is, the only racket I want to face them with at the moment is the Warrior. Speaks volumes so maybe I'm not leaving the club just yet...

BC1
04-01-2012, 04:50 PM
well, things just got serious at my club as I am up to the second top Box in our leagues and all the other 5 players in the box all seem stronger. The fact is, the only racket I want to face them with at the moment is the Warrior. Speaks volumes so maybe I'm not leaving the club just yet...

Interesting... Did you have a bad experience with the 500 tour? What string set up did you end up liking with on the warrior?

ramos77
04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I demo'd this racquet last week and really liked it. Might end up getting a couple, I just wish it didn't have the cheap looking chrome paint on the frame... Would look so much better black or white.

Dgdavid
04-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Interesting... Did you have a bad experience with the 500 tour? What string set up did you end up liking with on the warrior?

Not at all, the 500T is nice but I don't think I have time to dial it in before I need to start playing these league matches which were only posted up yesterday for April/May completion.

The one thing I missed about the Warrior last night was the nice solidity on impact. I forgot this is why I liked it over similar class rackets. Also, because of my familiarity with the Warrior now, I also know how my shots will behave. At the moment, the 500T is still more likely to be my next racket because I have more effective killshot options already but I must admit, the Warrior rallies better for me so far. Warrior is more forgiving, 500T more accurate. The Dunlop has been in storage for a few months and still has the shop standard strings so need to get it strung properly.

In the Warrior, Jack's Beast/Attack combo is working well in it (strung at 52/54 because its 16g) but sometimes it is too spinny so might consider altering it slightly or if I commit long term to the Warrior (which I haven't ruled out), altering my stroke to compensate but the downside of the Warrior for me to date has been flattening out the shots accurately. Maybe that is the result of coming to it for the 18x20 Prestige. I might also think about full Attack at 54 as it might reduce the spin slightly.

keithfival
04-02-2012, 03:52 AM
Not at all, the 500T is nice but I don't think I have time to dial it in before I need to start playing these league matches which were only posted up yesterday for April/May completion.

The one thing I missed about the Warrior last night was the nice solidity on impact. I forgot this is why I liked it over similar class rackets. Also, because of my familiarity with the Warrior now, I also know how my shots will behave. At the moment, the 500T is still more likely to be my next racket because I have more effective killshot options already but I must admit, the Warrior rallies better for me so far. Warrior is more forgiving, 500T more accurate. The Dunlop has been in storage for a few months and still has the shop standard strings so need to get it strung properly.

In the Warrior, Jack's Beast/Attack combo is working well in it (strung at 52/54 because its 16g) but sometimes it is too spinny so might consider altering it slightly or if I commit long term to the Warrior (which I haven't ruled out), altering my stroke to compensate but the downside of the Warrior for me to date has been flattening out the shots accurately. Maybe that is the result of coming to it for the 18x20 Prestige. I might also think about full Attack at 54 as it might reduce the spin slightly.

This is strange to hear, for me the Warrior stands out more for flat hitting than spin. It has nowhere near the spin of my APDC+ but very easy to relax and just drive the ball flat to the corners with a smooth, old school flat stroke.

Dgdavid
04-02-2012, 05:03 AM
I played with the APDGT earlier in 2011 for a few months and agree it was more spinny but more recently, my rackets have been 18x20 like the Prestige and I played flatter for many months and liked it. I was looking for a middle ground between these two extremes and the Warrior sits in that for sure.

ATL Jack
04-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Full attack setup will be very powerful. Make sure you string at least 56.
I would recommend what I have in my signature.

How often do you have to restring? I know the marketing for Beast is that it maintains tension much better than other poly's, but in the real world what does that mean? 4 weeks?

JackB1
04-02-2012, 07:30 AM

I don't understand how not being able to flatten out shots is the racquets fault?
Just alter your swing plane to be more around your body and don't hit low to high as much. I hit some crazy flat shots yesterday with my Warrior without really trying too hard to do so. I just focused on driving the the ball longer than usual, imagining I was hitting 3 balls in a row.

Dgdavid
04-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Come on Jack, you know different rackets and specs have different relative abilities. I can blast winners into corners with a Prestige MP much more easily - it has far more directional control. On the other hand, the Warrior gets the ball up and down with spin much more easily and gives me other relative advantages like better short angles with pace due to spin.

JackB1
04-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Come on Jack, you know different rackets and specs have different relative abilities. I can blast winners into corners with a Prestige MP much more easily - it has far more directional control. On the other hand, the Warrior gets the ball up and down with spin much more easily and gives me other relative advantages like better short angles with pace due to spin.

I think its about 5% racquet...95% technique. But if flattening out shots is a big part of your game, then you may be better off with a 18x20 stick? Personally, I just want to rally with deep topspin shots. I will go for a low percentage flat kill shot VERY rarely. Maybe 4-5 times a match tops.

Power Player
04-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Word on the street is JackB may have purchased a different racquet recently?

dgDavid use the racquet that lets you hit the rally ball best until you can find a stick that gives you both consistency and confidence to hit winners.

The Pure Drive and Pro Open are 2 that really delivered both.

The EXO tour gave me consistency, but it was tough to finish points and deliver on serve. The 6.1 gave me almost everything I needed.

JackB1
04-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Word on the street is JackB may have purchased a different racquet recently?

dgDavid use the racquet that lets you hit the rally ball best until you can find a stick that gives you both consistency and confidence to hit winners.

The Pure Drive and Pro Open are 2 that really delivered both.

The EXO tour gave me consistency, but it was tough to finish points and deliver on serve. The 6.1 gave me almost everything I needed.

Nope....still with the Warrior :-)

I do have a Rebel 98 in my bag for kicks, the the Warrior gets 90% of my time and is always used when winning is priority.

I think we all give the stick itself too much "credit" for hitting spin, slice or flat.

Power Player
04-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Nice..you are at month 2. A solid commitment so far.

Dgdavid
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Good advice PP, consistency is the thing that has been hurt by messing around with the rackets especially back and forth on string patterns. Going to play my next few matches with the Warrior to try to get the wins on the Board. Probably win more points from solid rallying than the flat winners. It is not like I can't do them with the Warrior, I do. Just more of them don't stay as winners!

Jack, I agree a good player can play with any stick but I think it makes more of a difference often. The difference between me playing against strong players with a 93 inch IG Prestige Mid in my hand is dramatically different to the even the Prestige Midplus and a step on again to rackets like the Warrior. However, the difference between a Warrior, Donnay 100, Puredrive is probably not so pronounced. As someone said though, the confidence you get from a racket that feels nice is more the issue. Confidence wins and loses games more than a few grams here or there.

Dgdavid
04-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Very much enjoyed going back to the Warrior tonight after two days with the 500 Tour. 500 Tour is nice especially attacking but Warrior is as good plus defends better. Worthwhile test of 500 Tour though. Going to have a clear out of all rackets now except the Warriors. My only remaining rackets of interest is the Donnay Formula 100 but can't get a demo so that's that I guess!

JackB1
04-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Very much enjoyed going back to the Warrior tonight after two days with the 500 Tour. 500 Tour is nice especially attacking but Warrior is as good plus defends better. Worthwhile test of 500 Tour though. Going to have a clear out of all rackets now except the Warriors. My only remaining rackets of interest is the Donnay Formula 100 but can't get a demo so that's that I guess!

I would love to try the Formula 100 as well, but can't find a demo anywhere.
but I really have zero issues with the Warrior, but I would like to see what all the TW testers were gushing about.

Power Player
04-02-2012, 05:53 PM
They were gushing about a racquet that they want to sell to you.lol. It's that simple. I am sure it is a good stick, but it's not going to be a huge change from what you have now.

JackB1
04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
They were gushing about a racquet that they want to sell to you.lol. It's that simple. I am sure it is a good stick, but it's not going to be a huge change from what you have now.

lol. You're right PP.

I forgot for a moment TW is in the racquet selling business and the Donnays probably needed a little "push" :-)

JGads
04-02-2012, 07:49 PM

No question that the Prestige flattens the ball out more than other sticks. It can be exhilarating when you get into that zone when you're just ripping the ball through the court with it.

JackB1
04-03-2012, 06:31 AM
No question that the Prestige flattens the ball out more than other sticks. It can be exhilarating when you get into that zone when you're just ripping the ball through the court with it.

I think its any 18x20 stick with a tight drill pattern. Not just a "Prestige".
The flipside is its tougher to generate spin. To me, easy access to spin is much more important to keep me consistent.

Sreeram
04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Nice..you are at month 2. A solid commitment so far.

I am actually counting ur commitment on pure drive!!!

Power Player
04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I am actually counting ur commitment on pure drive!!!

Sweet..I really love it..also love the extra $$$ I have saved by going with one string setup and not messing with racquets.

Dgdavid
04-03-2012, 11:43 AM
The thread on the Donnay Formula 100 has put me right off it! Just placed my two Warriors in my shiny new 12 racket Prince Tour bag.

BC1
04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
The thread on the Donnay Formula 100 has put me right off it! Just placed my two Warriors in my shiny new 12 racket Prince Tour bag.

Congrats! It feels great to be content with your racquet doesn't it? I however wouldn't know!!! By accident i stumbled upon a tennis shop at an outlet mall today while on the road traveling for work. They didnt have much of a selection. Just wilsons and babolats, anyway they had one new wilson juice at a "demo" price which I couldn't pass up. I had such a good experience with my demo of it, i had to get it. If it doesnt work out I will be able to sell it without much loss. If this doesn't turn out to be what I'm looking for, then I'm going back to the warrior - I had no good reason to leave it in the first place.

Al1978
04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Sweet..I really love it..also love the extra $$$ I have saved by going with one string setup and not messing with racquets.

I hear that. Eventually I realized that switching racquets frequently was a huge waste of time and money, and something I wouldn't do if I had to walk into a brick-and-mortar store and buy the things there.

JackB1
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Why? What thread? I read mostly positive things so far, but not many people have tried it yet.

JackB1
04-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Congrats! It feels great to be content with your racquet doesn't it? I however wouldn't know!!! By accident i stumbled upon a tennis shop at an outlet mall today while on the road traveling for work. They didnt have much of a selection. Just wilsons and babolats, anyway they had one new wilson juice at a "demo" price which I couldn't pass up. I had such a good experience with my demo of it, i had to get it. If it doesnt work out I will be able to sell it without much loss. If this doesn't turn out to be what I'm looking for, then I'm going back to the warrior - I had no good reason to leave it in the first place.

Tried the "Juice" and it had a lot of power and was very user friendly with a large sweet spot, but it had a weird "vague" feeling on impact. Hard to describe, but didn't care for it. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did?

BC1
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Tried the "Juice" and it had a lot of power and was very user friendly with a large sweet spot, but it had a weird "vague" feeling on impact. Hard to describe, but didn't care for it. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did?

I demoed it for one night a few weeks ago. A match of doubles and set of singles. I can't say i liked the feel either, but the results were great. Yes, great power and super easy spin.

ramos77
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Guys, what strings would you suggest for the warrior 100?

I wont be restringing often, and have had elbow/shoulder problems. Playing 3 times a week.

ramos77
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
also a suitable string tension would be nice, thanks

JackB1
04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Guys, what strings would you suggest for the warrior 100?

I wont be restringing often, and have had elbow/shoulder problems. Playing 3 times a week.

then I would suggest a syngut or multi. Poly dies quicker than those and would need restringing after 2-4 weeks. Multi I would do at around 56-58 lbs and syngut a little lower, like 54.

ramos77
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
thanks jack!

Dgdavid
04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
jack, if I just put a full bed of Attack at 56 or 57 next time, what do you think would change from our current set-up? Slightly less spin?

Dgdavid
04-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Congrats! It feels great to be content with your racquet doesn't it? I however wouldn't know.....they had one new wilson juice ....I had such a good experience with my demo of it, i had to get it.

OMG, you are the sort of person that goes up to recovering alcoholics and tell them how great your new double Jack Daniels and coke is! I'm gonna end up hiding tennis rackets in brown paper bags in odd places around my house at this rate.

BC1
04-04-2012, 04:17 AM
OMG, you are the sort of person that goes up to recovering alcoholics and tell them how great your new double Jack Daniels and coke is! I'm gonna end up hiding tennis rackets in brown paper bags in odd places around my house at this rate.

Yes, my condition has taken on a new level the past two months. I now have five racquets, all of which i like. I'm going to try my hardest to stop adding to the collection and weed out these to two frames, and sell the rest. Problem is, somehow i still don't own the warrior and i still believe that may be my favorite "all around" frame out there.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 06:05 AM
jack, if I just put a full bed of Attack at 56 or 57 next time, what do you think would change from our current set-up? Slightly less spin?

yes. Slightly less spin and control. More power and softer feeling on impact.
what is lacking from your current setup?

JackB1
04-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Yes, my condition has taken on a new level the past two months. I now have five racquets, all of which i like. I'm going to try my hardest to stop adding to the collection and weed out these to two frames, and sell the rest. Problem is, somehow i still don't own the warrior and i still believe that may be my favorite "all around" frame out there.

Still happy with the Rebel 98?

BTW there was someone on the big auction site selling Warriors for around 120 I believe. Just buy one!

ATL Jack
04-04-2012, 06:11 AM

The Juice didnt work for me - I had trouble with control, but I liked the Steam a lot. I think the Steam is similar to the Warrior.

Dgdavid
04-04-2012, 06:24 AM
yes. Slightly less spin and control. More power and softer feeling on impact.
what is lacking from your current setup?

Nothing really but would be good to know if it is optimal or if you have discovered anything better. Not due to restring for a while though. I am currently inclined to not fix things that aren't broken. Your set-up preferences seem to work out well for me. Do you really restring every 2-4 weeks?

JackB1
04-04-2012, 08:58 AM
:oops:hNothing really but would be good to know if it is optimal or if you have discovered anything better. Not due to restring for a while though. I am currently inclined to not fix things that aren't broken. Your set-up preferences seem to work out well for me. Do you really restring every 2-4 weeks?

I have my own stringer and I restring about every 4-6 weeks

Power Player
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I am not sure why you would trade the Warrior for a Pure Drive?
The Warrior is the same racquet without the tennis elbow.

No way possible it is the same racquet. I am sure it is good, but there is no way it is on the same level or I'd have 3 by now...lol.

You will not get tennis elbow with the pd if you are hitting properly. Too many touring pros and hitting partners and juniors would be writhing in pain after a match if this was the case.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 03:34 PM
No way possible it is the same racquet. I am sure it is good, but there is no way it is on the same level or I'd have 3 by now...lol.

You will not get tennis elbow with the pd if you are hitting properly. Too many touring pros and hitting partners and juniors would be writhing in pain after a match if this was the case.

But we aren't touring pros and these boards are filled with posts about Bab's and elbow pain. Its not imaginary.

BTW you haven't tried the Warrior, so how do you know its not as good or better than the PD?

keithfival
04-04-2012, 04:11 PM

I didn't find them to be similar at all. The Warrior felt like a thin beam all-court racket to me, I'd even say a finesse racket. I found myself shortening my backswing, placing the ball to the corners, slicing deep and coming to net. It was too light for me to just bash at the baseline and it just didn't seem to respond to that for me. It excelled at placement, touch and variety for me.

The 2012 PD on the other hand felt very much like a thick beam Babolat, except amazingly solid, much beefier than the Warrior. I didn't play with it long enough to try all the shots with it, but I was bashing right away, swinging full tilt with tons of control and it felt like a fine tuned sledge hammer.

I didn't play the PD long enough to say if I think it's better or worse, but definitely they felt totally different from each other.

JackB1
04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I didn't find them to be similar at all. The Warrior felt like a thin beam all-court racket to me, I'd even say a finesse racket. I found myself shortening my backswing, placing the ball to the corners, slicing deep and coming to net. It was too light for me to just bash at the baseline and it just didn't seem to respond to that for me. It excelled at placement, touch and variety for me.

The 2012 PD on the other hand felt very much like a thick beam Babolat, except amazingly solid, much beefier than the Warrior. I didn't play with it long enough to try all the shots with it, but I was bashing right away, swinging full tilt with tons of control and it felt like a fine tuned sledge hammer.

I didn't play the PD long enough to say if I think it's better or worse, but definitely they felt totally different from each other.

funny thing is they both have almost same specs...

the PD did feel more weighty in the head. But I don't find the Warrior "too light" at all. It has plenty of plow for me and excels from the baseline. I agree though the also great at touch and finesse shots. I do also play a lot of doubles and the Warrior is maneuverable for net play.

Power Player
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
But we aren't touring pros and these boards are filled with posts about Bab's and elbow pain. Its not imaginary.

BTW you haven't tried the Warrior, so how do you know its not as good or better than the PD?

So what jack, these boards are filled with a bunch of things that are myths..light sticks that get pushed around by 4.0 hitters..heavy racquets weighted to 379 grams wielded by 3.5s.

I owned a prince exo tour long enough to know how princes hit..they are nothing like pure drives. You can't take a racquet that flexs at 64 and pretend it will hit like one at 72. The higher stiffness gives a lot more power and directional control of a ball that springs off the racquet fast.

What Keith just said basically sums it up. That is why I really don't have a desire to try the stick even though I do enjoy the thread. There is no stick that does what the pure drive does. And we could probably say the same about the warrior, as I have played the older version and it was pretty sweet.

I had major wrist issues and I am hitting with the pd just fine because I hit the sweet spot more then I miss and I don't arm the ball. You do that and you can use stiffer racquets with a softer string for safety and your chance for injury is rather low. I don't care what the boards say..half those people used full poly and probably arm the heck out of the ball.

BC1
04-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Still happy with the Rebel 98?

BTW there was someone on the big auction site selling Warriors for around 120 I believe. Just buy one!

I havent touched the rebel in three weeks, been too busy trying to find the unatainable perfect tweener. Maybe that is my answer - the rebel 98. I need to dust it off and give it a go again. Not sure why i put it away, i guess just too many other temptations that i had to get out of my system.

Tried the juice (a demo while mine is at the shop being strung), and I was not as pleased with it as i remember from my first demo. Stiff and harsh at times. Not bad, plenty of power, but i just never got comfortable with it.

I also tried a buddy's pro open. Nice racquet. Very comfortable, lots of control and spin. Not the pop and power of say an old pd or juice, but a nice all around racquet. May be similar to the warrior in comfort and playability.

Im also getting my head ig instinct restrung. I was loving that one a while back.

Yes Jack, you're right, i need to just get a warrior, but i can not buy anything else. Got to sell first or trade. if anyone has an extra warrior lying around, let me know. I got a bunch of sticks to trade!!

Dgdavid
04-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I think it is very interesting that you can get diverse opinions on similar class sticks. For example, I own 2 x Dunlop Biomimetic 200 rackets that are supposed to be direct alternatives to the Prestige MP but in my own hands, I don't get that. I tried a PDR 2012 but didn't like it but avoided the PD Standard as I heard it was like a Warrior (or vice versa).

Anyway, this is going to be quite interesting. Jack has a Donnay Formula 100 on the way, Power is sticking with his PD+ and appears to have reached the promised land (commitment to one racket!), BC1 edging back towards Warrior, other recent comments in this thread loving the PD Standard.

Ironically, I am steering very much back to staying with the Warrior and selling my Dunlop 500 Tours and 200s and in the latter's case, I will not go back to 18x20 player sticks now. At least that is one firm decision made.

I retain an interest in the PD+, PD and Formula 100 but will watch for your feedback first before I demo. Volkl V1 Midplus too. I no longer have the rabid desire to demo every racket under the sun. Demos are a pain the aris over here.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I will try to keep this from being too lengthy.....in the past year I have bought, traded, demoed and borrowed so stinking many rackets, it's a wonder I actually know what I'm looking for now!!!!! This was my fourth outing with the Warrior and since I have restrung it with Hexy Fiber, I have not one single complaint of this racket. The only shot that is giving me any trouble is my one handed backhand slice, and it is really technique and preparation rather than the racket. I used tobe able to get out 3 to 4 times a week, but I have a 2 year old that demands so much, I was relegated to once every couple of months, but now it has eased up some and I've been able to get out on the weekends.......man it really feels good! But back to the racket, I have one question for anyone.....I have noticed so many are stringing the mains and crosses at different tensions. I have also followed suit, I don't know why, other than to try it I guess. What is the advantage to stringing the crosses a couple pounds tighter than the mains? I told my hitting partner today, I have no use or desire to demo any other racket. it's me and the Warrior against the world!!!!!

keithfival
04-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Hey Jack,

Curious if the Outlast stringjob broke in for you after a couple hits or not. I was surprised how much I didn't like it.

JackB1
04-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey Jack,

Curious if the Outlast stringjob broke in for you after a couple hits or not. I was surprised how much I didn't like it.

No its going strong after 2 weeks. I do like it. What don't you like about it?

RollTrackTake
04-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Had a morning cardio tennis workout today and the teaching pro (5.0 NTRP) uses the new Warrior. He was flat out punishing balls with it. I asked to borrow it and he took my F100. He liked the Donnay but said the Warrior was better for a player at his level. In his take, more controllable power

JackB1
04-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Had a morning cardio tennis workout today and the teaching pro (5.0 NTRP) uses the new Warrior. He was flat out punishing balls with it. I asked to borrow it and he took my F100. He liked the Donnay but said the Warrior was better for a player at his level. In his take, more controllable power

I actually found the Donnay more controllable, but they are VERY close in power level.

tata
04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
But back to the racket, I have one question for anyone.....I have noticed so many are stringing the mains and crosses at different tensions. I have also followed suit, I don't know why, other than to try it I guess. What is the advantage to stringing the crosses a couple pounds tighter than the mains? I told my hitting partner today, I have no use or desire to demo any other racket. it's me and the Warrior against the world!!!!!

I think it is because mains lose tension faster. The name speaks for itself - mains. It does a majority of the work when you hit a ball which causes it be under more stress and pressure. Not to mention is is also longer in length and gets stretched out more than the crosses. For this reason people up it a bit on the mains.

Dgdavid
04-08-2012, 01:52 AM
I actually found the Donnay more controllable, but they are VERY close in power level.

From looking at your comments here and on the F100 thread, I think I will skip the F100. I have to outright buy it blind and ship it in from Europe which is expensive and painful especially when they don't sound materially different. Looking forward to your review Jack.

I have played my last match with a Pure Drive 2012 standard and also keen to try the V1. The PD and Warrior are definitely quite different to me. Warrior is definitely more solid, PD feels almost too light which is odd given the not dissimilar specs (swingweight is 10-12g difference though). However, I felt more precise with the PD and playing again with it tonight. Can't beat the Warrior for rallying though.

keithfival
04-08-2012, 06:40 AM
No its going strong after 2 weeks. I do like it. What don't you like about it?

Previous stringing was Enduro 18g/Gosen micro17 at 56/57. In comparison the Outlast/Titan at 50/54 felt uneven, harder to control, duller, and much harsher. I really never knew what was going to happen when I hit the ball.

keithfival
04-08-2012, 06:42 AM
I demoed it for one night a few weeks ago. A match of doubles and set of singles. I can't say i liked the feel either, but the results were great. Yes, great power and super easy spin.

Hey BC1, I emailed you about my Warrior and your Reb 98!

BC1
04-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey BC1, I emailed you about my Warrior and your Reb 98!

Keith, yes, i got one, and i thought i replied back. If you don't mind, resend the last one

JackB1
04-08-2012, 05:00 PM
just posted some thoughts on the Formula 100 here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6453613&postcount=121

Preferred the Warrior by a large margin

Fed Kennedy
04-08-2012, 05:07 PM
What do all you tweener holics think of the vcore 100s?

JackB1
04-08-2012, 06:14 PM
What do all you tweener holics think of the vcore 100s?

Great racquet! Just VERY stiff feeling, but very easy to use racquet.

keithfival
04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Keith, yes, i got one, and i thought i replied back. If you don't mind, resend the last one

Didn't get a reply, I just resent it!

Dgdavid
04-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Thanks Jack, very interesting. Going to skip the Formula 100.

BC1, what's your latest situation/preference? I bought a PD 2012 Standard and have done well with it. Definitely different to the Warrior to me - trying to work out if it is a 'better' different. Final considerations for me are the V1 Plus, Pure Drive Plus (Powerplayers racket) and Mantis 305 (don't seem to see that one on TW but it seems a nice spec - 95 sq inch, 305 weight, 16x19). And the Warrior of course, still my match racket.

edit:
ps. I reserve the right to go for the Dunlop Biomimetic Max200G if it gets strong customer reviews. Looks fantastic on paper but so have many rackets!

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-09-2012, 03:45 AM

I couldn't agree with you more on the point of.......player preference. I too have found some reviews to be just the opposite of how a racket reacts in my own hands. I was already playing with the Warrior when TW's review came out and it amazed me that I felt it had more feedback on strokes compared to previous models. But yet several of the play testers said it didn't have any feel. Just goes to show...different strokes for different folks!!!!

BC1
04-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Thanks Jack, very interesting. Going to skip the Formula 100.

BC1, what's your latest situation/preference? I bought a PD 2012 Standard and have done well with it. Definitely different to the Warrior to me - trying to work out if it is a 'better' different. Final considerations for me are the V1 Plus, Pure Drive Plus (Powerplayers racket) and Mantis 305 (don't seem to see that one on TW but it seems a nice spec - 95 sq inch, 305 weight, 16x19). And the Warrior of course, still my match racket.

edit:
ps. I reserve the right to go for the Dunlop Biomimetic Max200G if it gets strong customer reviews. Looks fantastic on paper but so have many rackets!

Dg, I am in the same situation as you, kinda. I have four I am trying to choose from (see signature) and it's been tough. The Juice is by far the stiffest feeling and least comfortable, but I play good with it. The Instinct to me is the most comfortable and very consistent, but lacks the put away power. The PD2012 standard is sort of a mixture between the two. And then you have the Rebel 98 that does everything well and better "IF" your game is on, balls are flying on me with the rebel though for some reason, more so then the other ones, maybe tension has dropped too much. I just recently let the 6.1 team go and traded for a pd2012 (again). This is my third one in the past two months, but I'm keeping this one. I figured out why the last one wasn't working for me, the grip was too big. Now that I got the right size grip it feels like a different racquet, and the weight distribution is slighlty different in this one, less head heavy - feels perfect this time. The Warrior is not part of the mix only because somehow in all of this confusion I never acquired one. I think I would be satisfied with any of them, including the Warrior, and I've been tempted to list them all for sale, and just keep and play with whatever one is left. If I was forced to rank them right now I couldn't. I like them all very much. However, if I had to put them in order, this is how I'm feeling at this moment at 10:05 AM E.S.T:
1) Pd 2012
2) Juice
3) Rebel 98
4) Instinct
In another hour, or the next time I play, my ranking may change. And "Yes" I admit, probably about three weeks ago I stated in some thread that I was over the power tweener racquets, pd specifically. You would think I would learn to never say never.

Power Player
04-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Bab grips run big..I use a 1/4 size instead of 3/8ths.

BC1
04-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Bab grips run big..I use a 1/4 size instead of 3/8ths.

Yes, the 1/4 is what I ended up with. I've used the 3/8 in the Babs before, but the last one I had felt even larger. It made the whole racquet feel cumbersome to me.

BC1
04-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Didn't get a reply, I just resent it!
Keith,
I just found your email from Saturday, I just replied.
Thanks

What is your warrior strung with?]

Also, do you have any interest in the IG Instinct? (forgot to add that to my email)

BC1
04-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Since we are talking about all of the other warrior type racquets out there, I hit with a friends Pro Open (new pj), and was very impressed. Not enough to say it's better then any of the others, but it is easily just as good as any of the others. It has a nice player racquet feel, some flex, comfortable, great for spin, and a good amount of power.

I can see why Power Player raved about this one.

It doesn't have that "wow" factor that some racquets give you, but I would put it up there as being one of the top "all around" racquets for any level player.

vinnieSE
04-09-2012, 06:55 AM
DgDavid, would love to hear your comments on the Mantis. You know anyone whos tried them out? Contemplating getting either the 300 or the 305.

/Chris

Dgdavid
04-09-2012, 08:51 AM
DgDavid, would love to hear your comments on the Mantis. You know anyone whos tried them out? Contemplating getting either the 300 or the 305.

/Chris

Hi Chris, will let you know when i test it. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.
I don't know anyone who is emphatically impartial but I buy from the Wimbledon and Reigate branches of a major UK retailer and know them well now. The manager of one plays with the Mantis 300 (100 sq inch head) but thinks the new 305 (95 sq inch head) is also great and may switch. In particular, he thinks it might be the sweetspot for me between my 'players' frames like the Prestige PMP and more forgiving sticks like my Warriors. The Mantis 305 also got a very good review at St(r)ingers World who I speak to a lot. The shop owner is the father of the reviewer, Ben. Mantis are a new UK manufacturer so I would imagine they are all on promotions/incentives. Going to test for myself and report back.

grass_hopper
04-09-2012, 08:56 AM
found the warrior too soft(65 stiffness), otherwise it looks and performs very well.

Dgdavid
04-09-2012, 08:58 AM
However, if I had to put them in order, this is how I'm feeling at this moment at 10:05 AM E.S.T:
1) Pd 2012
2) Juice
3) Rebel 98
4) Instinct
In another hour, or the next time I play, my ranking may change. And "Yes" I admit, probably about three weeks ago I stated in some thread that I was over the power tweener racquets, pd specifically. You would think I would learn to never say never.

One thing I achieved in March was a definitive step away from players frames. I tried edging back towards the Prestige MP through a not dissimilar racket, the Dunlop Bio 200 but after playing with the Warrior, it seemed like harder work than I remembered.

I had loads of flyers on my Rebel 98 by the way. Couldn't understand why but always on my backhand so I think I was later on the ball that I thought very often and being tentative on follow through. I currently have the PD 2012 in the same position as you with Warrior a close number 2. Then nothing currently at number 3 onwards I like presently apart from maybe a second chance for my 500 Tour.

In trying to sum up my feelings about the Warrior, it is like it is a B+ at everything across the board which is great but I then hit a racket that is an A in some area and think I have a winner but find it is a C in other areas. Warrior is solid in all departments and maybe that is where it is an A; at being consistently good everywhere with no specific weaknesses.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-09-2012, 09:10 AM
I agree with you on the Warrior Dg......I think it is just solid in all areas. Like I have posted earlier, it is the first Prince racket I felt comfortable with since the old Triple Threat Rebel, which was many moons ago....

BC1
04-09-2012, 09:10 AM
In trying to sum up my feelings about the Warrior, it is like it is a B+ at everything across the board which is great but I then hit a racket that is an A in some area and think I have a winner but find it is a C in other areas. Warrior is solid in all departments and maybe that is where it is an A; at being consistently good everywhere with no specific weaknesses.

I understand what you mean. I felt the same way with the warrior, and it's kind of how I feel about the IG Instinct and the even flexier Rebel. These less stiff "tweeners" give you very good control and consistency, but lack that "wow" pop and kill shot that a stiffer racquet can easily give you. (Unless you have a perfect stroke and timing then I guess you can get that with any racquet.) However, that same stiffness that helps you make tremendous shots will let you down when it comes to touch, feel, and pin-point control.

vinnieSE
04-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Chris, will let you know when i test it. Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.
I don't know anyone who is emphatically impartial but I buy from the Wimbledon and Reigate branches of a major UK retailer and know them well now. The manager of one plays with the Mantis 300 (100 sq inch head) but thinks the new 305 (95 sq inch head) is also great and may switch. In particular, he thinks it might be the sweetspot for me between my 'players' frames like the Prestige PMP and more forgiving sticks like my Warriors. The Mantis 305 also got a very good review at St(r)ingers World who I speak to a lot. The shop owner is the father of the reviewer, Ben. Mantis are a new UK manufacturer so I would imagine they are all on promotions/incentives. Going to test for myself and report back.

I think I now of what UK retailer you are referring to. I have also seen Ben & Co review on Mantis but I am very much looking forward to hearing any user reviews and comparison that can be made to racquets such as the Warrior.
As many following this thread I have been trying this category of racquets (PD, Exo3 Black, APDGT (PD and Exo3 Tour Team being the current favs, yet to try the Warrior). Don“t know why but I seem to just like Prince racquets.

Took a chance playing the Speed 300 but I struggle finding both the sweetspot and good power. Have added some lead at 12 but don“t really see the point of playing a light stick if you need to have it weighing like a PDR to feel comfortable. Yes I know, should spend more on lessons than on gear.

Hope all goes well in your upcoming demo and looking forward to your thoughts and comments.

Chris

BC1
04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
^^^^ you are right in your analysis of the speed 300. I have heard this from many and felt the same way when I demoed it.

I suspect out of the frames you mentioned, the warrior will end up there with the PD and tour team - and since you like prince frames the warrior will "win". Imo it has more plow, and power then the tour team but is just as easy to play with and has as good control.

vinnieSE
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Actually bought the Speed 300 after playtesting the heavier version which felt great (Sonic Pro but with really low tension) but convinced myself that I should“t be playing that level of racquet. Opted for poly starting out with TopSpin Cyberblue (went dead in a week), than RPM Blast (broke after an hour) and now BlackCode. Guessing this racquet should be played using a soft multi below mid tension....

I think its hard to demo considering that the strings are that important and in Sweden you have little possibility of having an influence on the type of string in the demo. Demoed a Exo3 black, just loved the look of the frame and how it felt in my hand but played awful (believe it was strung with a synthetic gut and tension was low), kept sending the balls into the wall so I didn“t dare buying it.

Guessing or hoping for better luck with either the Warrior or the Rebel 98 as they are newer models and should be able to find a demo with fresh strings in them. In the meantime, I“ll rely on TT in narrowing down the selection. Thanks to everyone contributing and sorry moving slightly off topic.

Chris

JackB1
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
This thread has become "Adventures in Tweenerland" :)

ollinger
04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
dead horse officially beaten

Fed Kennedy
04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
This thread has become "Adventures in Tweenerland" :)

Have you guys declared a goat tweener yet?

RollTrackTake
04-09-2012, 11:06 AM

It seems to change from week to week, match to match.

BC1
04-09-2012, 11:07 AM

I think that underlines the problem... There is no such thing as one GOAT TWEENER since the tweener by design is a compromise. We are searching for something that doesn't exist.

Dgdavid
04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I just played dreadfully and had to fight for 2 1/2 hours to save a draw against a guy I normally beat comfortably. Couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat.
All tweeners are rubbish and it's the racket fault. I am moving to 70 sq inch rackets with a 35 x 40 string pattern and have changed my rating to 4.***** :evil:

Bmr
04-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I think that underlines the problem... There is no such thing as one GOAT TWEENER since the tweener by design is a compromise. We are searching for something that doesn't exist.

Well, that is indeed the problem. With a player's racquet, you will get rewarded that much more on certain shots..but if you lose focus you will get frustrated very quickly.

I've always used the tweener class..but I think it is possible to get it close to where you want it. It will never be perfect, though. My problem right now is finding a good racquet/string combo that will be more rewarding on volleys. My volleys are LAUNCHING right now and it's driving me nuts. I blame the polyester :P

BC1
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I just played dreadfully and had to fight for 2 1/2 hours to save a draw against a guy I normally beat comfortably. Couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat.
All tweeners are rubbish and it's the racket fault. I am moving to 70 sq inch rackets with a 35 x 40 string pattern and have changed my rating to 4.***** :evil:

Of course it's the racquet's fault. (You didnt say, but it was the pd wasn't it?) You should sue the manufacturer for the pain and suffering, and humiliation, they put you through! Seriously though, we've all had those nights. I've been stupid enough to go as far as to sell or trade my racquet after one of those outings, knowing full well it was me and not the racquet. But it didn't matter. I figured if i could play and feel that awful with it, I didn't want it!! Of couse I regretted my decision afterwards.

Great thing about it is, tomorrow is a brand new day! And you can go out and play the best tennis of your life, with the same racquet, and all of the sudden it is the best racquet ever made. It's amazing how that works.

Dgdavid
04-10-2012, 05:21 AM

/Chris

Hi Chris,

Hit with the Mantis 305 today for 30 mins only but that's all I need. It isn't for me, no real guts to the racket, feels light and doesn't seem to offer anything special.

Dgdavid
04-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Bc1, it was one of those days but thinking back, he did hit some great shots and maybe not giving him credit. I hit some terrible shots though and no racket in existence would have helped me on those. Guilty of thinking about the next point before winning the one I was in. And the ultimate school boy error of volleying whilst standing on the baseline on a crucial point! Left my brain in my car.

Ps. Yes with Pure Drive but it wasn't the racket.

JackB1
04-10-2012, 08:08 AM
someone did a nice review on my Beast/Attack hybrid...
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=6456365&postcount=29

BC1
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Dg, pp, jack and others following our journey through tweenerville, i must report that i had a calming yet invigorating experience tonight, played with pd strung with head fxp tour and it was a great combination. The racquet felt great, very comfortable. Power, spin, and control where all effortless. Very good experience. No dislikes whatesoever. Wouldnt have changed a thing about the racquet or strings and didnt wish it performed better in any one area. I havent been able to say that often. So... Based on tonight, I hate to say it, but I think I found my racquet... Now lets see how long it takes me to rip it to shreds and knock it off my list. Gotta love my confidence! But seriously right now it is the proverbial GOAT!

keithfival
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Dg, pp, jack and others following our journey through tweenerville, i must report that i had a calming yet invigorating experience tonight, played with pd strung with head fxp tour and it was a great combination. The racquet felt great, very comfortable. Power, spin, and control where all effortless. Very good experience. No dislikes whatesoever. Wouldnt have changed a thing about the racquet or strings and didnt wish it performed better in any one area. I havent been able to say that often. So... Based on tonight, I hate to say it, but I think I found my racquet... Now lets see how long it takes me to rip it to shreds and knock it off my list. Gotta love my confidence! But seriously right now it is the proverbial GOAT!

It really seems like a magical stick. My teammate just switched after years with the Prince O-something (predecessor to the Tour 100) and right away every single shot of his is better, more pace, more penetrating, deeper, with no loss of consistency.

Keep us posted on the long term comfort level. That's all I'm afraid of!

Dgdavid
04-10-2012, 11:53 PM

Congrats on getting to the final decision (for now!). I like my PD2012 a lot too, it is being strung today with Alu Power at 55lbs. Before I settle on a final choice, I have ordered the Volkl Organix V1 from TWE which will get here next week but playing my 2 forthcoming Box League matches with the PD. Also considering having Alu Power in the Dunlop 500 Tour too as my backhand drive and slice are the best they have been with that racket although I prefer the PD elsewhere. Warrior somewhere between the two.

BC1
04-11-2012, 12:44 AM
It really seems like a magical stick. My teammate just switched after years with the Prince O-something (predecessor to the Tour 100) and right away every single shot of his is better, more pace, more penetrating, deeper, with no loss of consistency.

Keep us posted on the long term comfort level. That's all I'm afraid of!

Keith, i will keep you updated, more then neccessary most likely. Im not too woried about comfort i played with the 2010 pdgt for almost two years, and with poly 70% of the time and didnt have problems. With this current setup, the fxp, it is very comfortable and has a better feel.I ike it a lot, and its not a poly. As everyone says, the strings can make all the difference.

I wouldn't say its magical, but it does have that magical ability. Many others are I think equally as good, warrior, pro open, maybe even Juice, but none seem to have the all around goodness and shot making magic of the pd. Plus I've come to the conclusion the Babolat laces their racquets with some kind of addictive substance - it gets in the users bloodstream after a few plays, and you are hooked. Ther's no fighting it or leaving it for long - You got to have it even during those times when you hate it!! Those French can be very crafty!

BC1
04-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Congrats on getting to the final decision (for now!). I like my PD2012 a lot too, it is being strung today with Alu Power at 55lbs. Before I settle on a final choice, I have ordered the Volkl Organix V1 from TWE which will get here next week but playing my 2 forthcoming Box League matches with the PD. Also considering having Alu Power in the Dunlop 500 Tour too as my backhand drive and slice are the best they have been with that racket although I prefer the PD elsewhere. Warrior somewhere between the two.

You are going with my all around favorite string (alu power). However my current string in the pd, head fxp tour, might finally convince me to switch. Both of your chosen racquets are great with the alu power. Just keep the tension in the lower range. I think the alu power is surprisingly comfortable if not strung too high. Others will definitely argue about that. However I found it ok, and with very good power, control and spin.

Yes, i need to stop messing with the others and try to perfect my time with this one. I have found that with the pd2012, I needed to find the right pd2012. Third time was a charm - grip size, weight and weight distribution, and string setup all made a difference. Moral of the story... not all pds (or any racquet for that matter) are a like.

JackB1
04-11-2012, 08:14 AM

How would you compare the PD to the Warrior? My major concern with the PD would be possible TE issues.

JackB1
04-11-2012, 08:19 AM
You are going with my all around favorite string (alu power). However my current string in the pd, head fxp tour, might finally convince me to switch. Both of your chosen racquets are great with the alu power. Just keep the tension in the lower range. I think the alu power is surprisingly comfortable if not strung too high. Others will definitely argue about that. However I found it ok, and with very good power, control and spin.

Yes, i need to stop messing with the others and try to perfect my time with this one. I have found that with the pd2012, I needed to find the right pd2012. Third time was a charm - grip size, weight and weight distribution, and string setup all made a difference. Moral of the story... not all pds (or any racquet for that matter) are a like.

I tried FXP Tour in the Head Instinct and wasn't crazy about it. Felt very muted and mushy, but it might be a better fit with the crisp and stiff PD. What tension using strung at?

BC1
04-11-2012, 09:21 AM
How would you compare the PD to the Warrior? My major concern with the PD would be possible TE issues.

You need to demo it. Arm issues haven't been a problem with me with the pd and I've played with one off and on for two years. The pd masks the stiffness well and it's not as uncomfortable as one might think based on the numbers. However if you're prone to arm problems then naturally a flexier choice would be better - the Warrior. The PD "masks" the stiffness, but it is obvious still there.

Both are great racquets and to me the end results are similar, but they play and feel very different. You can feel the stiffness difference, and you will either like one or the other better. The pd2012 does everything well, and to me I am finding I have a little better control then with the warrior, but to someone who is use to playing with a flexier racquet, they may find more control with the warrior. I almost feel like I get more power out of the warrior, but it's not a controlled "heavy" power, like I seem to get from the PD. Not sure if that makes sense of not? It's all personal preference. The warrior has a more player type feel I think, but I am very use to the pd feel and I am more comfortable with it and accustomed to it. It just feels "right" to me and gives me a little more confidence.

If you demo, or buy, just be sure you have the right string set-up and grip size (go one size down). As I found out with my recent demos, both make a huge difference with this racquet, as with any racquet. But for me it made a world of difference when I finally got it all right.

Just to be clear though - I don't think the pd2012 is "better" then the warrior. And I personally feel I could play just as good (or bad) with either. I have picked the pd over the warrior (or my racquets in my bag) based on what I am most comfortable and confident with right now.

I am also keeping the Rebel 98 (I think) just because there is something special about this racquet, and it is completely different then the pd. I want to have that option to pull out if I'm in the mood or need for something else.

BC1
04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
I tried FXP Tour in the Head Instinct and wasn't crazy about it. Felt very muted and mushy, but it might be a better fit with the crisp and stiff PD. What tension using strung at?

This is the first time I've used it (FXP Tour), so I have no other racquet to compare it with. However, to me, it felt very good in the pure drive. Comfortable, great control, decent spin and decent power. It's the best all-around set-up I've felt in the pd2012. I still like alu power, but this has got to be a little better on the arm. It felt and seemed stiff for a multi, and very crisp - not mushy to me at all. It also seemed to pocket the ball well - better then the Alu power.

The stringer had a very hard time with it though, it was actually freying a little and got a lot of minor slices in at as he was pulling it through the grommets. He said it was very stiff and had never seen anything like this, but he wasn't that experienced and has never strung with FXP tour. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Regardless, I was happy with the way it felt and played so I'm keeping the strings in it. It was strung at 58.

Power Player
04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
There is always an advantage with stiffer sticks if you like to baseline, it just boils down to how much you play and how stiff you can go.

The control on the Pure Drive is awesome for it being so powerful. One of the reasons is the stiffness. The ball rebounds off the strings incredibly fast and goes where your racquet face tells it to..and fast.

Of course flexy racquets offer their own advantage, especially if you are a more defensive player. Returning serves is easier with a flexy stick since you have all that dwell time to cup the ball.

Conversely serving is a lot easier with a stiffer racquet.

Attacking with the Pure Drive is one of life's great pleasures so if you like to Serve big, move someone around a little off the return, get an opening and then rip one, you can't go wrong with it.

BC1
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
^^^ Yes, all of that too - well stated PP :)

JackB1
04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
allright...I got one coming. Damn you BC!!!

keithfival
04-11-2012, 10:24 AM

That's the spirit! Can't wait for your report. Will this be the end of the Warrior 100 thread?!!:)

keithfival
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Of course flexy racquets offer their own advantage, especially if you are a more defensive player.

Really? Defending with the stiff APDC+ feels downright cruel sometimes!

BC1
04-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Too Funny! It's payback Jack. Just think of how many people you enticed to try the warrior and rebel 98, and others. Me included!!

Actually, Power Player should be blamed, not me. He's the one (or his posts) got me to try the pd2012 again, and then again, and then again.

Regardless, I'm glad you're open minded and giving it a shot. No guarantees you will like it, but hey, it's such a popular stick you got to give it a go. Can't wait to hear the results!!!

BC1
04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
That's the spirit! Can't wait for your report. Will this be the end of the Warrior 100 thread?!!:)

Keith,
I hope not, this has been fun, and probably useful to some.

Or actually, it's probably been more confusing then anything else. We've all been so up and down and all over the place.

Power Player
04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
TW should hire me to playtest and also entertain the female play testers after hours as well.

...with magic tricks of course.

Fed Kennedy
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Any of you guys tried the WTA setup of all tight gut in your tweeners?