PDA

View Full Version : Prince EXO3 Warrior 100 Review

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Power Player
04-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I promise this will happen. I can't resist the gooey goodness of gut.

Dgdavid
04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
I served a great couple of hundred serves with my Alu Powered Pure Drive today (just practising of course). I like it a lot. Only fly in the ointment is the incoming Volkl Organix V1 (delivery 14th April) and the small matter of me trading my two 500 Tours for 2 Vcore 98Ds. Didn't like it first time round but they are strung better and I have recently learned that strings make a huge difference. Sadly, I think the Warriors are finally being retired for good. PD increasingly looking like the one for me but V1 is the last one to try really then I have tried them all.

YesTennis
04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I've been using the PD 2012 for about a month. Like others, I was scared about the stiffness, especially as I'm almost 50. Had some forearm discomfort after the first session of about an hour. None since. I did soften up the racquet a bit using VS mains and RPM in the crosses. Agree with the other posters- this is really a great racquet. Great combination of power and control. Excellent ability to generate topspin, and easy power/spin on serves. Very pleased. Jack, I think you'll really like this one!

Fed Kennedy
04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Venus, serena, clisters, na and henin are all gutting in their racs, might be onto something.

Dgdavid
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Keith,
I hope not, this has been fun, and probably useful to some.

Or actually, it's probably been more confusing then anything else. We've all been so up and down and all over the place.

But if we all finally settle with one after all this, we are still only at the start of the summer :)

Power Player
04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Jack hopefully you have worked on your strokes in terms of arming the ball. That is what I noticed when you posted vid, but that was a long time ago.

You can't arm the ball with this stick and not get arm pain if you have TE history. If you are using the offhand and your core, plus hitting out in front, you are going to be smiling a lot when you play with this stick..(I'd add some lead at the tip to match it to the Warrior as well).

Dgdavid you have the Brown Bear coming? You beast.

Dgdavid
04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Jack hopefully you have worked on your strokes in terms of arming the ball. That is what I noticed when you posted vid, but that was a long time ago.

You can't arm the ball with this stick and not get arm pain if you have TE history. If you are using the offhand and your core, plus hitting out in front, you are going to be smiling a lot when you play with this stick..(I'd add some lead at the tip to match it to the Warrior as well).

Brown bear with grey strings! Gonna be getting free points whilst my opponents avert their eyes from the ugliness (of the racket...).

Remember to wait until we all have purchased and settled on the PD Standard and then hit us with the Plus version is far better :)

Power Player
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
haha..I love the + racquets in general. If you think you may, it is worth a demo...there is an adjustment period as well, but in my case it is well worth it.

ArliHawk
04-11-2012, 11:18 AM
All this talk makes me think I might be ordering a Pure Drive soon.

Tough, because I already have 2 AeroPro Drive GTs. Oh, well.

Dgdavid
04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
All this talk makes me think I might be ordering a Pure Drive soon.

Tough, because I already have 2 AeroPro Drive GTs. Oh, well.

Well, if you want to be in this thread, you need to sell them at a loss, change your mind 20 times losing a bit of money each time and then you can try the PD :shock:

ps. if possible, try to get your wife to say "but you can only play with one...."

ArliHawk
04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Well, if you want to be in this thread, you need to sell them at a loss, change your mind 20 times losing a bit of money each time and then you can try the PD :shock:

ps. if possible, try to get your wife to say "but you can only play with one...."

Think I'd definitely sell one of the APD, but not the 2011 French Open paint job. That is too pretty to part with.

Rebel that I am, if I liked the Pure Drive, I'd probably keep one of each. I know that flies in the face of sentiment around here.

Power Player
04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
You could match the 2 in terms of weight and be fine.

those are 2 sticks you could interchange now and then..they are very similar. the Pure Drive is just more versatile in my experience.

JackB1
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM

My technique is so much better since that last video. I am also more that one Usta level better. I was a 3.0 then and am close to 4.0 now. I win a good % of my matches at 3.5.

BC1
04-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Jack, did you order a demo, or new pd? And if new, what string set-up? Even though i like the fxp tour, I'm still wanting to try RIP. So many have commented that its very good in the pd (of course power play, but many others as well). I tried your hybrid beast/attack in my previous one, but never got a true feeling of how it was. Alu power is very good as dgdavid will attest to, but I dont think you want to go the poly route.

goherd27
04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I recieved a V1 MP as a demo today. Strung up with my usual VS Gut and NXT hybrid. It actually looks better than I imagined. Looks better in natural light. Hope to get out and try it tomorrow night.

Not really looking to switch from the Rebel and it is out of my normal spec range but it looked interesting enough to give it a try.

ArliHawk
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I recieved a V1 MP as a demo today. Strung up with my usual VS Gut and NXT hybrid. It actually looks better than I imagined. Looks better in natural light. Hope to get out and try it tomorrow night.

Not really looking to switch from the Rebel and it is out of my normal spec range but it looked interesting enough to give it a try.

Anxious to hear what you think of the V1 MP.

ramos77
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
a little off topic no guys?

:)

JackB1
04-11-2012, 05:35 PM

interested in picking up another Rebel 98? I have a 4 1/2" for ya if you want it?

goherd27
04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
interested in picking up another Rebel 98? I have a 4 1/2" for ya if you want it?

Thanks but I am at capacity.

JackB1
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Jack, did you order a demo, or new pd? And if new, what string set-up? Even though i like the fxp tour, I'm still wanting to try RIP. So many have commented that its very good in the pd (of course power play, but many others as well). I tried your hybrid beast/attack in my previous one, but never got a true feeling of how it was. Alu power is very good as dgdavid will attest to, but I dont think you want to go the poly route.

is it true that the Bab gripsize runs 1 size big? Could you possible measure your 3/8 around about 2" from the butt end? Measure with an overgrip on if possible. My Warrior 4 1/2 is 4 5/8" around with overgrip.

Dgdavid
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I play with a 4 1/2 on the Warrior with overgrip and with the Pure Drive, a 4 3/8 with overgrip. I always thought Princes gripped smaller as I am 4 3/8 on Head also.

edit: with a thin Head XtremeSoft grip, the Prince is 1/16 larger but nothing in it. PD is bang on 4.5, the Warrior is exactly half way between 4 1/2 and 4 5/8.

Dgdavid
04-11-2012, 11:47 PM

Nervous now. Mine is on my way with Alu Power at 53 but I can't return it if I don't like it. TWE don't do a demo programme to UK. Fingers crossed.

Power Player
04-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Yes, Babs one run size big. I use a 1/4 instead of a 3/8ths.

Dgdavid
04-12-2012, 07:03 AM
PP, what sort of adjustment did you have to make for a Plus?

Power Player
04-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Just spacing a little further from the ball. Thats about it.

keithfival
04-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Hey Jack, I'll trade you a Warrior, 4 3/8 for the Reb.

(Don't ask me why, I don't even know myself!)

JackB1
04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Hey Jack, I'll trade you a Warrior, 4 3/8 for the Reb.

(Don't ask me why, I don't even know myself!)

thanks but I need a 4 1/2

Dgdavid
04-12-2012, 02:35 PM
another very nice evening with the PD. Everything played well, really pleased. Too late to cancel V1 Midplus but it has a tough job to displace the PD now. Just amazed that I can be so accurate with a "tweener".

ArliHawk
04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
another very nice evening with the PD. Everything played well, really pleased. Too late to cancel V1 Midplus but it has a tough job to displace the PD now. Just amazed that I can be so accurate with a "tweener".

Seems to be a pretty uniform response around here.

Did you buy the V1 or are you just demoing?

goherd27
04-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Won't clutter this thread but I hit some with the V1 MP tonight. I will put my thoughts on a new thread.

BC1
04-12-2012, 09:26 PM
And for those of us who have turned into "Pure Drivers" maybe we should start another pd2012 thread/club? Most of the others are more targeted to the roddick or the extended length.

vinnieSE
04-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi Chris,

Hit with the Mantis 305 today for 30 mins only but that's all I need. It isn't for me, no real guts to the racket, feels light and doesn't seem to offer anything special.

Thanks for comments Dgdavid. Guess it will be down to the Warrior, PD2012 or playing the lottery on a Mantis 300 (starting to think that the limited access to Mantis is really what is feeding my interest). Between the three, the result should most likely be the same just a different feel I guess.

//C

Dgdavid
04-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Seems to be a pretty uniform response around here.

Did you buy the V1 or are you just demoing?

Bought it but you never know, might even ace the PD.

YesTennis
04-13-2012, 03:22 AM
BC1- good idea to start a standard PD thread- I play with the racquet and would be glad to join in the conversation

fibonacci888
04-13-2012, 03:34 AM
BC1- good idea to start a standard PD thread- I play with the racquet and would be glad to join in the conversation

Same here, still thinking a good setup for me. Synth gut mains and poly cross isn't it yet. Espacially in bad weather it's hard on my arm.

BC1
04-13-2012, 03:56 AM

Ok, let's do it! I will try to start one later today.

BC1
04-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Ok. I started a "club" thread for the PURE DRIVE 2012.

For those that want to join in, go to it!! http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=420358

However, I don't want this to take anything away from this great Warrior Review thread. Let's keep the Warrior thread going. The Warrior is an amazing racquet and well deserved of continued praise, success and discussion!!

Dgdavid
04-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Is there much demand for the Warrior in the US? I tried selling mine on a 7 day listing but zero interest in them. Will cost me 30 to ship to US but thought it might still be worth it.

bluegrasser
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
found the warrior too soft(65 stiffness), otherwise it looks and performs very well.

Come on, too stiff - you need stiffness my friend.:confused:

JackB1
04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
did everyone abandon their Warriors for Pure Drives???

Damn you BC1 !!

vantageboy
04-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Damn you BC1 !! Your next.....

Dgdavid
04-17-2012, 02:58 PM

Damn you BC1 !!

"Cross over, children. All are welcome. All welcome, go into the light...there is peace and serenity in the light."

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-17-2012, 11:40 PM

Damn you BC1 !!

Still swinging away with the Warrior, matter of fact have another one on the way.

ramos77
04-18-2012, 04:16 AM
Still swinging away with the Warrior, matter of fact have another one on the way.

what strings are you using? demoed one tonight and really liked it.

no more arm pain. was using a dead set of syn gut.

what you recommend for TE? I'm thinking natural gut...

I really liked serving with it.

ramos77
04-18-2012, 04:21 AM
I also noticed they are selling for $110 on evilbay, are these legit?

JackB1
04-18-2012, 06:48 AM

I haven't abandoned it yet. Its got no flaws really. I am testing the new Pure Drive, but the Warrior is definitely less stiff feeling and more arm friendly. If the Pure Drive doesn't offer me any significant improvements I will most likely stick with the Warrior as my main stick. It just does everything so well and it's like you really have to try and mishit a ball with it.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I haven't abandoned it yet. Its got no flaws really. I am testing the new Pure Drive, but the Warrior is definitely less stiff feeling and more arm friendly. If the Pure Drive doesn't offer me any significant improvements I will most likely stick with the Warrior as my main stick. It just does everything so well and it's like you really have to try and mishit a ball with it.

My nephew lives in Lawrenceville, and I hit with his pd, I immediately could tell the stiffness of the pd compared to the warrior. I really don't have anything bad to say about the pd. My long term thoughts is the fact that I am nearing 60, and I still swing away, knowing I have mishits, the warrior is definitely more forgiving to me. Jack do you ever get down to Rome? Out of curiosity, do you string your crosses of attack 2 pounds more to take some of the spring out of them? I am still loving the Hexy fiber @ 54/56

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
what strings are you using? demoed one tonight and really liked it.

no more arm pain. was using a dead set of syn gut.

what you recommend for TE? I'm thinking natural gut...

I really liked serving with it.

I bought a warrior demo and it was strung with beast mains at 62 and lightening spin crosses at 58. It hit okay, but I really had to work hard to get the power I wanted. I normally prefer tension around 54, so I restrung it with my favorite multi...Dunlop Hexy fiber. 54 mains. 56 crosses. It has the power on tap now!!!! There are others that like different string choices, and that's kinda the bottom line, it really depends on how the string feels to you. One other good point of the Dunlop, it is only $6.95 a set. I am not a frequent string breaker, so I usually restring once a month. Hope this helps a little.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-18-2012, 05:00 PM
My nephew lives in Lawrenceville, and I hit with his pd, I immediately could tell the stiffness of the pd compared to the warrior. I really don't have anything bad to say about the pd. My long term thoughts is the fact that I am nearing 60, and I still swing away, knowing I have mishits, the warrior is definitely more forgiving to me. Jack do you ever get down to Rome? Out of curiosity, do you string your crosses of attack 2 pounds more to take some of the spring out of them? I am still loving the Hexy fiber @ 54/56

Sorry Jack, I meant to say.....up to Rome. And I am of the same opinion as you, the warrior (for me) does everything well. This also goes back to a personal preference as you mentioned in one of your earlier posts. I agree that the tw review was not the most favorable, but I am not experiencing any of the drawbacks that they were having. So it always comes down to how it feels in your hands....I enjoy reading the posts on this warrior thread. Keep em coming!!

RollTrackTake
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I see TW is now selling Mantis racquets........the 300 is right in the
Warrior/PD class of racquets. who will take a bite on it???:twisted:

JackB1
04-18-2012, 07:00 PM

I always string multi or gut 2-5 lbs higher than the poly when doing a hybrid to account for the differences in power and elasticity.

No I never get down (or is it up?) to Rome, but if u ever pass through Atlanta let me know.

JackB1
04-18-2012, 07:04 PM
I bought a warrior demo and it was strung with beast mains at 62 and lightening spin crosses at 58. It hit okay, but I really had to work hard to get the power I wanted. I normally prefer tension around 54, so I restrung it with my favorite multi...Dunlop Hexy fiber. 54 mains. 56 crosses. It has the power on tap now!!!! There are others that like different string choices, and that's kinda the bottom line, it really depends on how the string feels to you. One other good point of the Dunlop, it is only $6.95 a set. I am not a frequent string breaker, so I usually restring once a month. Hope this helps a little.

yes, multi at mid tension should provide nice power. I have poly/multi now at 55/52 and it could go even lower. With the poly in the mains, the power is not as easy and I need to swing away pretty much. With it the other way around with the multi in the mains and poly crosses, power is much easier to come by.

JackB1
04-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Sorry Jack, I meant to say.....up to Rome. And I am of the same opinion as you, the warrior (for me) does everything well. This also goes back to a personal preference as you mentioned in one of your earlier posts. I agree that the tw review was not the most favorable, but I am not experiencing any of the drawbacks that they were having. So it always comes down to how it feels in your hands....I enjoy reading the posts on this warrior thread. Keep em coming!!

Everyone forgets that one of the TW reviewers liked the Warrior so much that he switched to it! The others weren't really a good fit for the Warrior.

fibonacci888
04-19-2012, 02:38 AM

Damn you BC1 !!

Maybe winning one over back to the warrior. PD was to hard on my arm, just picked up the tester.

Dgdavid
04-19-2012, 05:34 AM
And I am still loitering around the club entrance! Whilst I have been overly focussed on flat drives etc, the bit I have clearly overlooked is Consistency. A big Asset for the Warrior is I am so consistent with it and with that goes confidence. Something you don't really notice until its gone! I have modified my strokes for the PD and am going to try that new stroke with my Warriors tonight.

JackB1
04-19-2012, 05:36 AM
And I am still loitering around the club entrance! Whilst I have been overly focussed on flat drives etc, the bit I have clearly overlooked is Consistency. A big Asset for the Warrior is I am so consistent with it and with that goes confidence. Something you don't really notice until its gone! I have modified my strokes for the PD and am going to try that new stroke with my Warriors tonight.

how have you modified your strokes for the PD as compared to the Warrior? I think both racquets are very similar and shouldn't your strokes be the same for both?

Nostradamus
04-19-2012, 05:54 AM
how have you modified your strokes for the PD as compared to the Warrior? I think both racquets are very similar and shouldn't your strokes be the same for both?

which racket do you think is better for net play, both doubles volleying and singles volleying ? This one prince or new 2012 Pure drive ? Tennis Magazine in their latest review said Exo worrier is for Baseliners ?

BC1
04-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Ok David, Jack, Others and Myself - I sense great confusion, again, and I could easily fall back into that same state of mind - if I let myself. Either racquet will perform equally well but may require a slightly different approach and each will have a slightly different feel and playing characteristic - mainly due to the difference in stiffness. So, we either pick "one" and learn to make the best of it. OR, we could create a brand new club... The "Pure Warrior" club and use both!

Edit... I'm kidding, I think ??

BC1
04-19-2012, 06:21 AM
which racket do you think is better for net play, both doubles volleying and singles volleying ? This one prince or new 2012 Pure drive ? Tennis Magazine in their latest review said Exo worrier is for Baseliners ?

I think they are both equally good at the net, volleying or baseline. I didn't find the warrior to be just a baseline stick.

BC1
04-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Actually, maybe the best way to approach these two racquets may be just to look at the superficial aspects of the racquets and pick the one that excites you the most. What brand do you like? What Paint Job do you prefer? Which one makes you feel more confident (granted that's not entirely superficial), but you get what I'm saying. I know that seems crazy, but I really think anyone can play equally good with either, and get just as much out of either racquet. So if you find yourself in this situation, just pick the one that excites you the most and the one you can see yourself living with the longest - sounds like I'm talking about choosing a girl here.

My other measuring stick when debating on two or more racquets is the serve. Simply choose which one you serve best with. Accuracy and power. If one stands out as being "better" in the serve department, it's a no brainer. As we all know, the serve is where you will win or loose matches. For me this was close between the two, but the PD to me wins in this area, and that sealed the deal for me.

Nostradamus
04-19-2012, 06:32 AM
I think they are both equally good at the net, volleying or baseline. I didn't find the warrior to be just a baseline stick.

Thanks for the feedback. I did try the worrior for about 10 minutes and it did feel like it had heavier SW than 2012 PD. but didn't have time to do some quick volleying so wasn't sure how worrier does at net.

JackB1
04-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I agree the PD and the Warrior are similar sticks that can be used equally well by the same type of player. Preference is totally personal.
I need more time with the PD to make a fair comparison though.

TourTenor
04-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I did try the worrior for about 10 minutes and it did feel like it had heavier SW than 2012 PD. but didn't have time to do some quick volleying so wasn't sure how worrier does at net.
You worry too much.

ATL Jack
04-19-2012, 07:44 AM
I just bought 2 Warriors, but all this talk about the PD is making me curious. I might have to demo one.

Now that I have been playing with the Warrior for a few weeks I discovered that slight variation in string tension makes a big difference to my playing style. I had both of my Warriors strung with attack at 58 lbs, one of them came back from the stringer with less tension than the other, and I cant control the lower tension racquet. I almost lost a match I should have won easily because I couldnt dial in my ground strokes with it - I had to change my style from an aggressive baseliner to a counter-puncher. On the other hand, I love the tighter strung racquet. I am not sure the PD would help in this regard, but my Kblade 98 was not as sensitive to string tension as the Warrior, maybe due to the closed string pattern on the KBlade?

Another thing I notice with the Warrior is that I have a hard time with flat shots. As an aggressive baseliner I win a lot of points by driving the ball deep with topspin into the corner, if it comes back short I hit a flat hard winner to the opposite corner. That worked great with my Kblade 98, but I tend to hit that flat semi-approach shot with the warrior into the tape. I am sure I can overcome that after spending more time with the racquet, but its irritating at the moment.

Lastly, I noticed that I dont have nearly as much accuracy with my flat serve with the Warrior. My spin serve is great, I get more movement than with my old sticks, but my accuracy and power on the flat serve is giving me some trouble. I am sure I just need a little more time with the racquet to dial it in but these factors have me questioning whether or not I should have demoed the PD too...

Dont get me wrong - I am not trying to give the Warrior a bad review. I am very happy with the Warrior, I am just pointing out the negatives I have noticed. On the plus side I love the additional power, spin, and feel I get from the racquet, and the larger sweet spot has helped my struggling backhand.

JackB1
04-19-2012, 08:00 AM
^^^^

the Warrior is meant for spin. Its not the best choice if hitting flat is a big part of your game. For that, a closed tighter pattern like the Blade is better.

I do agree that the racquet is very string sensitive. The perfect power level seems a little touchy to find sometimes. You should try a Attack/Beast hybrid at around 56/53. The poly crosses will make the stringbed more controllable and predictable.

Dgdavid
04-19-2012, 08:08 AM

I know they are the same class but I find them quite different to play with. Anyone else get that? I definitely don't get the "PD but comfier" for me. They are distinct.

I need a faster stroke for the PD to control it, whippier in fact. I get better spin at lower racket speeds with the Warrior and controlling hard incoming groundstrokes is easier with it. Blocking back shots is also easier with the Warrior on defense. On the flip side, I am more accurate with the PD attacking short balls. My emergency wrist flick out wide on the backhanfd is the best it has been with the PD.

My stroke is a more pronounced wind shield wiper style with the PD whereas the Warrior is more traditional. I admit this is odd and my play style is traditional but the PD just seems to need it. Often with good results but I have actually never tried this with the Warrior and interested to see the results I get because I really miss the security of staying in rallies longer with the Warrior.

The PD feels significantly lighter to me despite the stats and I whip it through my serve much faster. My serve is better with the PD (in fact, the best I can be on my serve). Still good with the Warrior.

PD wins on volleys for me, not by much. Warrior definitely wins on 1HBH.

I would love the PD when attacking, Warrior when defending or rallying.

Dgdavid
04-19-2012, 08:11 AM

For me, Pure Drive is better at the net but not much in it.

Dgdavid
04-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Actually, maybe the best way to approach these two racquets may be just to look at the superficial aspects of the racquets and pick the one that excites you the most. What brand do you like? What Paint Job do you prefer? Which one makes you feel more confident (granted that's not entirely superficial), but you get what I'm saying. I know that seems crazy, but I really think anyone can play equally good with either, and get just as much out of either racquet. So if you find yourself in this situation, just pick the one that excites you the most and the one you can see yourself living with the longest - sounds like I'm talking about choosing a girl here.

My other measuring stick when debating on two or more racquets is the serve. Simply choose which one you serve best with. Accuracy and power. If one stands out as being "better" in the serve department, it's a no brainer. As we all know, the serve is where you will win or loose matches. For me this was close between the two, but the PD to me wins in this area, and that sealed the deal for me.

My measuring stick is becoming results and the opinions of regular opponents. Something that sticks in my mind is TW Chris when reviewing the IG Prestige Mid and IG Prestige Midplus. He said he loved the Mid more especially slice, feel and the way it hit but "numbers don't lie and I am closing out sets easier with the Midplus". He switched to the Midplus. I prefer the PD but my results are better with the Warrior. Confused

JackB1
04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
My measuring stick is becoming results and the opinions of regular opponents. Something that sticks in my mind is TW Chris when reviewing the IG Prestige Mid and IG Prestige Midplus. He said he loved the Mid more especially slice, feel and the way it hit but "numbers don't lie and I am closing out sets easier with the Midplus". He switched to the Midplus. I prefer the PD but my results are better with the Warrior. Confused

Sounds like you got a little problem David :-)

But if you play well with both, then its a nice problem. If you can wait a few more days, I will do a more informed comparison between the Warrior and PD.
Otherwise, I would pick whatever gave me the best results, but be careful to measure results over a period of time, not day to day. Your game can fluctuate based on factors non related to your racquet, as mine can. Sounds to me though like you have more confidence and consistency with the Warrior. That would do it for me.

BC1
04-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Sounds like you got a little problem David :-)

But if you play well with both, then its a nice problem. If you can wait a few more days, I will do a more informed comparison between the Warrior and PD.
Otherwise, I would pick whatever gave me the best results, but be careful to measure results over a period of time, not day to day. Your game can fluctuate based on factors non related to your racquet, as mine can. Sounds to me though like you have more confidence and consistency with the Warrior. That would do it for me.

^^^^ I agree, and yes, give it more time.

ATL Jack
04-19-2012, 10:32 AM
^^^^

the Warrior is meant for spin. Its not the best choice if hitting flat is a big part of your game. For that, a closed tighter pattern like the Blade is better.

I do agree that the racquet is very string sensitive. The perfect power level seems a little touchy to find sometimes. You should try a Attack/Beast hybrid at around 56/53. The poly crosses will make the stringbed more controllable and predictable.

Hitting flat isnt a big part of my game, but I there are some situations, like I described earlier, where I will have to learn a different shot.

Whats holding me back from trying your hybrid setup is the frequency of re-stringing. But, since I am leaning toward stringing my own sticks I may give it a try. Before I go there, however, I will might try attack at 60 or 62.

Shangri La
04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
So from TW's review, this racquet hardly provides any feel and is very string sensitive. Guess it works for those who can live with not feeling connected to the ball. And the spin comes at a cost of a softer ball and lack of depth control. But everybody seems to agree on the comfort.

BC1
04-19-2012, 12:10 PM
So from TW's review, this racquet hardly provides any feel and is very string sensitive. Guess it works for those who can live with not feeling connected to the ball. And the spin comes at a cost of a softer ball and lack of depth control. But everybody seems to agree on the comfort.

I for one thought the racquet deserved a better rating then what TW gave it. Feel is subjective, but I didn't find it "worse" then other racquets in the same category. Same with lack of depth control. But I do see how maybe the PD and some of the other stiffer tweeners will give you a more precise feel and depth.

JackB1
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM

I and many others here don't agree with those opinions whatsoever.

Racquets are so personally subjective...if you want to go by some playtest, who's abilities and likes/dislikes may be nothing like your own, then stay away from the Warrior. Better yet...demo it for yourself and see if you agree or disagree.

vantageboy
04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
The "warrior cry" is turning into a faint whisper. Just like over valued real-estate-for sale:warrior 4 1/2 in great shape......time to change the avatar.

Shangri La
04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I for one thought the racquet deserved a better rating then what TW gave it. Feel is subjective, but I didn't find it "worse" then other racquets in the same category. Same with lack of depth control. But I do see how maybe the PD and some of the other stiffer tweeners will give you a more precise feel and depth.

I agree that many aspects of a racquet can be personal preference, although I find most TW reviews generally do a good job of describing a racquets performance relatively objectively. But hey it worked for TW playtester Mike and might work for others.

I and many others here don't agree with those opinions whatsoever.

Racquets are so personally subjective...if you want to go by some playtest, who's abilities and likes/dislikes may be nothing like your own, then stay away from the Warrior. Better yet...demo it for yourself and see if you agree or disagree.

You can call their review subjective but their description of 'lack of feel' isnt subjective - not that they didnt like the feel, but they didnt get any feel from the racuqet. They have playtested plenty of racquets and rarely do they describe a racquet as 'no feel'. But if this is what you like, enjoy it and stick with it.

JackB1
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
I agree that many aspects of a racquet can be personal preference, although I find most TW reviews generally do a good job of describing a racquets performance relatively objectively. But hey it worked for TW playtester Mike and might work for others.

You can call their review subjective but their description of 'lack of feel' isnt subjective - not that they didnt like the feel, but they didnt get any feel from the racuqet. They have playtested plenty of racquets and rarely do they describe a racquet as 'no feel'. But if this is what you like, enjoy it and stick with it.

This makes no sense. Feel or lack of it is the most subjective thing there probably is in tennis. Just like how the same string review make have some people saying it's soft and the same amount of people claiming its harsh. Again...I would value your opinion on the Warrior if you personally tried it, instead of what some TW playtesters think about it. They also gave similarly bad reviews to the Head IG Speed 16x19, which I also loved, so I don't always agree with their views on racquets.

Shangri La
04-19-2012, 03:40 PM
This makes no sense. Feel or lack of it is the most subjective thing there probably is in tennis. Just like how the same string review make have some people saying it's stiff and the same amount of people claiming its harsh. Again...I would value your opinion on the Warrior if you personally tried it, instead of what some TW playtesters think about it. They also gave similarly bad reviews to the Head IG Speed 16x19, which I also loved, so I don't always agree with their views on racquets.

I learned to know what to take and what not to take from others reviews including TWs. I know when they say how this racquet's feel/power/etc compares to other racquets in the same category its objective. I know when one says this racquets power level works for me that racquets serve works for me a third racquets control doesnt work for me its subjective. But if your experience is always opposite to TWs that serves a good value too :)

BobFL
04-19-2012, 04:52 PM
This makes no sense. Feel or lack of it is the most subjective thing there probably is in tennis. Just like how the same string review make have some people saying it's stiff and the same amount of people claiming its harsh. Again...I would value your opinion on the Warrior if you personally tried it, instead of what some TW playtesters think about it. They also gave similarly bad reviews to the Head IG Speed 16x19, which I also loved, so I don't always agree with their views on racquets.

Jack, you know I like you and everything :) but I am gonna have to disagree with you here :)

What we are talking about here is not different kinds of feel. We are talking feel: yes or no. For example, I playtested the warrior and it had no feel whatsoever. 100% disconnection from the ball. Yes we can discuss if we like soft or firm or stiff or whatever feel but no feel vs feel is 100% objective.

JackB1
04-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Jack, you know I like you and everything :) but I am gonna have to disagree with you here :)

What we are talking about here is not different kinds of feel. We are talking feel: yes or no. For example, I playtested the warrior and it had no feel whatsoever. 100% disconnection from the ball. Yes we can discuss if we like soft or firm or stiff or whatever feel but no feel vs feel is 100% objective.

yes that would be true if the Warrior had zero feel, but IMO that's not the case for me and for many others who have chimed in on this thread for the past several weeks. I doubt it this many people would like the racquet if it was entirely void of feel. You and everyone are entitled to their opinion, but I don't find any out of the ordinary "lack of feel" while playing with the Warrior. I have been playing very well with it and it does everything well. IMO the Volkl Organix frames have little feel, but some may like it. Bottom line is if you don't like the feel of a certain racquet...don't use it.

JackB1
04-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I learned to know what to take and what not to take from others reviews including TWs. I know when they say how this racquet's feel/power/etc compares to other racquets in the same category its objective. I know when one says this racquets power level works for me that racquets serve works for me a third racquets control doesnt work for me its subjective. But if your experience is always opposite to TWs that serves a good value too :)

I never said my experience is ALWAYS opposite of the playtesters. I sited one other example where I liked a racquet they gave a mostly negative review to. Sometimes I agree with them...sometimes I don't. But nothing can replace demoing and playtesting the racquet for yourself.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Jiminy Crickets!!!!!!!!! That girls pretty, naw I don't think so......poly hurts my arm, it don't bother mine.........the new meal at the diner is good, I don't like it.......and it can go on and on. There is no written rule that says anyone's play test is the absolute rule and all others should agree. In TW's review of the Warrior, Mike had absolutely no problems within while the others did not like the "feel". I personally, have no problems with it either and I find that in my hands I have that connection of "feel". And it's okay if someone doesn't feel the same way that I do about the racket. But the final racket review comes down to the results and opinions of how the racket performed for you personally.

fibonacci888
04-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Jiminy Crickets!!!!!!!!! That girls pretty, naw I don't think so......poly hurts my arm, it don't bother mine.........the new meal at the diner is good, I don't like it.......and it can go on and on. There is no written rule that says anyone's play test is the absolute rule and all others should agree. In TW's review of the Warrior, Mike had absolutely no problems within while the others did not like the "feel". I personally, have no problems with it either and I find that in my hands I have that connection of "feel". And it's okay if someone doesn't feel the same way that I do about the racket. But the final racket review comes down to the results and opinions of how the racket performed for you personally.
Could not agree more, funny how some people take a review as the absolute truth since it's no more than an opinion.

JackB1
04-20-2012, 05:09 AM

^^^^
somebody that "gets it"

Nice post dp!

Pneumated1
04-20-2012, 05:46 AM

It flew over everyone's heads:) Most wouldn't understand, but those that you would think should don't either. It says a lot, really.

The "warrior cry" is turning into a faint whisper. Just like over valued real-estate-for sale:warrior 4 1/2 in great shape......time to change the avatar.

Fortunately, real estate doesn't have an 80% or better mark-up like tennis racquets. So hopefully, when these Warriors start hitting the "For Sale" section like August hail, people will realize it and not pay a dime over $90 for one that's only hit five balls.

BobFL
04-20-2012, 06:16 AM
So Jack what is going on???

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=421150

Do you want more feel? Or power? What?

JackB1
04-20-2012, 08:33 AM
So Jack what is going on???

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=421150

Do you want more feel? Or power? What?

Neither....feel and power are similar with both.
The PD and Warrior have roughly the same power level, but the PD just seems "easier" to play with. Not exactly sure why yet, but I have been getting great results with the PD so its hard to argue with that. They are both similar racquets and also similar to the Becker DC Pro, which I loved, except for the handle shape, so even though though I am switching from A to B to C, its hardly noticeable since they are almost identical. The PD has an advantage of not having the O Ports, which are a bit of a pain on us home stringers. The PD seems to have that "X-factor" that you can't really put your finger on :-)

vantageboy
04-20-2012, 11:47 AM
The PD and Warrior have roughly the same power level, but the PD just seems "easier" to play with. Not exactly sure why yet, but I have been getting great results with the PD so its hard to argue with that. They are both similar racquets and also similar to the Becker DC Pro, which I loved, except for the handle shape, so even though though I am switching from A to B to C, its hardly noticeable since they are almost identical. The PD has an advantage of not having the O Ports, which are a bit of a pain on us home stringers. The PD seems to have that "X-factor" that you can't really put your finger on :-)
You will have EVEN better results with the 2013 new racquet line up cause its the racquet that makes you better right....

JackB1
04-20-2012, 12:36 PM

After this weekend I will have a logged about 15 total hours with the PD12 and will do a side by side analysis of the Warrior vs the PD12. I agree that serve is a HUGE factor in determining which racquet to go with, as long as everything else is pretty much even. I have served very well so far with the PD and its unusual for me to click with a racquet on serve so quickly. Usually that's the last piece to fall in place for me.. I also serve very well with the Warrior, but its a little more "work" if that makes any sense. With the PD, it's like "aim and shoot".

Fed Kennedy
04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Might as well throw an apd in the mix now, lol.

JackB1
04-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Might as well throw an apd in the mix now, lol.

No way! I can't stand that Horrible yellow paint job! Lol.

Fed Kennedy
04-20-2012, 02:52 PM
No way! I can't stand that Horrible yellow paint job! Lol.

Dont worry, they make a black and red one also :)

JackB1
04-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Dont worry, they make a black and red one also :)

Oh yeah the French Open one. Nah....I think I'm good for now, but check back with me in a few weeks :-)

ramos77
04-20-2012, 10:17 PM
I picked one up today and had a hit.

groundstrokes ok, slice backhand not so good. serve was good. i stupidly played a set after only 20 mins hitting with it, so I'll reserve judgement

dont like the prince syn gut though. might cut them out tomorrow and get some natural gut in it, around 60 pounds?

Dgdavid
04-20-2012, 11:33 PM

I thought the Captain was supposed to be the last to leave the ship!
Incidentally, did you notice the difference between them on the backhand?

xico
04-21-2012, 05:28 AM
Please JackB1, pd 2012 (ra 72), no elbow problem?

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Just a little trivial innuendo !!!!! Considering there were 4 TW play testers and if you regard their results as "gospel".............There are 75 percent of the people who try the Warrior that will not like it, and only 25 percent will!!!!!!!!! But then again...........don't worry....be happy!!!!!!

Dgdavid
04-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Just a little trivial innuendo !!!!! Considering there were 4 TW play testers and if you regard their results as "gospel".............There are 75 percent of the people who try the Warrior that will not like it, and only 25 percent will!!!!!!!!! But then again...........don't worry....be happy!!!!!!

And 25% who will switch to it as their main racket over all others available. If you followed that logic, one in four players will be sporting a Warrior 100...

JackB1
04-21-2012, 08:10 AM
I thought the Captain was supposed to be the last to leave the ship!
Incidentally, did you notice the difference between them on the backhand?

I'm not leaving yet! I didn't notice a major difference on the backhand as opposed to everything else, but there is a difference between the way the 2 play. The PD immediately hits the ball where you are aiming, whereas the Warrior has more dwell time on the stringbed. This take some adjusting to but when you get it, you feel "dialed in". The PD seems a little "easier" to use... a little more "tweenerish" than the Warrior. I have only played 2 doubles matches with it so far, but I played some of the more consistent and error free tennis of my life. Still need to test some more.

JackB1
04-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Please JackB1, pd 2012 (ra 72), no elbow problem?

none yet, but I have a multi/poly hybrid. I wouldn't try full poly or poly mains in this racquet. That would probably irritate my elbow. I haven't had any TE issues for over 1 year now, but need to be careful to keep it away. This is a stiff racquet, but if you use a softer setup and stay near the middle of the racquet, it shouldn't bother you.

JackB1
04-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Don't forget one of the playtesters wanted to switch to this racquet and how often does that happen? I believe it wasn't a good fit for Chris or Tiffany and Brittany actually said she liked it in another thread. Bottom line is the only opinion that matters is the one of the person actually using the racquet. I know everyone likes to be reaffirmed that they made a good choice and I do to...but I think we sometimes put too much emphasis on getting others approval? We also tend to focus more on the negative and ignore the positive....the old "cup half empty" thing. No one racquet is going to please everybody and even if ALL the playtesters switched to the Warrior, that's no guarantee it will work for YOU.

BobFL
04-21-2012, 08:23 AM
none yet, but I have a multi/poly hybrid. I wouldn't try full poly or poly mains in this racquet. That would probably irritate my elbow. I haven't had any TE issues for over 1 year now, but need to be careful to keep it away. This is a stiff racquet, but if you use a softer setup and stay near the middle of the racquet, it shouldn't bother you.

Here ya go Jack...

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/bobfl/BPD11-2-thumb.jpg

:lol:

JackB1
04-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Here ya go Jack...

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/bobfl/BPD11-2-thumb.jpg

:lol:

lol. I may use that Bob! :-)

I love changing my avatar and then reading all the judgemental grumblings from "racquet-monogomists". If anyone cared to notice, they would see that my last 3 racquets are almost interchangeable and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart without the paintjob (DC Pro, Warrior, PD12). I seem to have really honed in on what works best for me through tons of trial and error. My results on the court have been continually improving and that makes me happy! :-)

ollinger
04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Couldn't tell the Warrior from the PD if they weren't painted differently?? Wow!

JackB1
04-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Couldn't tell the Warrior from the PD if they weren't painted differently?? Wow!

I probably could due to the extra stiffness and quicker response, but my point was that the specs are almost identical...11.5 oz strung, 3-4 pts HL, 325 sw. I could pick up any one of these racquets and use them immediately without much time to acclimate needed.

I would love to try though, but I am not about to spraypaint 3 racquets and ruin them! It would be fun to see if I could identify them by feel alone.

ollinger
04-21-2012, 08:52 AM
PD is currently 11.1 ounces with 308 SW. Quite different.

JackB1
04-21-2012, 09:10 AM
PD is currently 11.1 ounces with 308 SW. Quite different.

those sw numbers on TW are not very accurate. Not sure why, but almost every racquet I personally test comes in about 10 pts higher than TW's numbers.. Could be the overgrip? So I am going by the racquets I have in my possession and have personally tested on a RDC machine...

Becker DC pro...324 sw

Warrior...326 sw

PD12...322 sw

I think any swingweight difference under 5 pts of swingweight is almost imperceivable.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Just got through with a two and a half hour session, and Want to thank all the posters in this thread.....good and bad. The bad gave me something to really focus on during my hitting. For me, the Warrior is a good fit and I am content hopefully for a long time. Maybe I can be content long enough to buy up some of those $90.00 Warriors when the price falls like August hail.........borrowed from another poster, no sarcasm intended. First time I have heard that phrase used and I like it!!!!!

JackB1
04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Just got through with a two and a half hour session, and Want to thank all the posters in this thread.....good and bad. The bad gave me something to really focus on during my hitting. For me, the Warrior is a good fit and I am content hopefully for a long time. Maybe I can be content long enough to buy up some of those $90.00 Warriors when the price falls like August hail.........borrowed from another poster, no sarcasm intended. First time I have heard that phrase used and I like it!!!!!

Good to hear! Racquets are 100% about personal preference and we often feel the need for everyone's approval, but in the end only you alone are the one using your chosen racquet. The Warrior is a very well rounded racquet that should be unusable by a wide variety of players. I still think it will end up a very popular product for Prince.

decades
04-21-2012, 01:23 PM
send in the "clones". they're all trying to make 11oz stiff "tweeners". pick one and stick with it. the operative word is Stick. switching racquets all the time is expensive and disruptive. But it serves a purpose. It keeps your focus on the equipment and not the play, that is, the hard work of improving your game, which isn't at all dependent on which tweener you are using.

Dgdavid
04-21-2012, 01:30 PM
I really don't think the PD and Warrior are the same. I own both and I find the PD noticeably lighter through the ball. Warrior is more confidence inspiring on defence and rallies, PD better for me on serve and attacking. My backhand is far better with the Warrior, the flattened winner that was so elusive for me on the Warrior is there on the PD. I am the opposite to Jack in that I play more error free tennis with the Warrior.

In any case, the class of racket is my biggest issue now. Have now hit quite a lot with the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 16x 18 and Dunlop Bio 200. Will hold my conclusions for a few more days but playing two league matches with the 6.1 in the next 3 days. Even considering re-buying my IG Prestige Midpluses. Really regret selling them.

JackB1
04-21-2012, 04:22 PM
I really don't think the PD and Warrior are the same. I own both and I find the PD noticeably lighter through the ball. Warrior is more confidence inspiring on defence and rallies, PD better for me on serve and attacking. My backhand is far better with the Warrior, the flattened winner that was so elusive for me on the Warrior is there on the PD. I am the opposite to Jack in that I play more error free tennis with the Warrior.

In any case, the class of racket is my biggest issue now. Have now hit quite a lot with the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 16x 18 and Dunlop Bio 200. Will hold my conclusions for a few more days but playing two league matches with the 6.1 in the next 3 days. Even considering re-buying my IG Prestige Midpluses. Really regret selling them.

David...figuring out what "class" of racquet that suits you best is more important than which individual model. The rest is just fine tuning and tweaking. As soon as I moved away from flexier racquets, my serve immediately became more of a weapon and I began playing much less defensive tennis. It took me a while, but I finally figured out 11.5 oz, somewhat stiff 100" racquets suit me the best. Pro Open, DC Pro, Pure Drive, Speed 315...I could use any of them and play my game. Which model I go with is just personal preference. You seem caught between different racquet types and need to figure that one out first.

JackB1
04-21-2012, 04:30 PM
send in the "clones". they're all trying to make 11oz stiff "tweeners". pick one and stick with it. the operative word is Stick. switching racquets all the time is expensive and disruptive. But it serves a purpose. It keeps your focus on the equipment and not the play, that is, the hard work of improving your game, which isn't at all dependent on which tweener you are using.

that's true....Wilson has the Juice....Volkl the Organix 8...Dunlop the 500 Tour...Prince the White...Donnay the Formula 100...Yonex the VCore. All basically Pure Drive / APD clones.

As far as sticking with one....that totally up to the individual user. For me tennis is a hobby/sport/passion...how I enjoy it is totally up to me. Just improving is only one part of my enjoyment of the sport. If your sole purpose is to keep improving and do everything possible to play your 100% best, then yes I would recommend picking one racquet and sticking with it.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Yes, Babs one run size big. I use a 1/4 instead of a 3/8ths.

How do you feel the 2012 version compares to the 2011?

fibbert
04-22-2012, 07:26 AM
that's true....Wilson has the Juice....Volkl the Organix 8...Dunlop the 500 Tour...Prince the White...Donnay the Formula 100...Yonex the VCore. All basically Pure Drive / APD clones.

As far as sticking with one....that totally up to the individual user. For me tennis is a hobby/sport/passion...how I enjoy it is totally up to me. Just improving is only one part of my enjoyment of the sport. If your sole purpose is to keep improving and do everything possible to play your 100% best, then yes I would recommend picking one racquet and sticking with it.

Have you ever played with the Prince Exo3 White? How does it compare with the PD or the Warrior?

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Jack, did you ever move your Warriors on the big sell site?

JackB1
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Jack, did you ever move your Warriors on the big sell site?

Sorry to say, but yes. I am totally sold on the PD12 now :-(

But I stand by every nice thing I said about the Warrior. I had my best singles season ever using it. But I just love the easy smooth power of the PD. I don't have to work as hard and I like that! :-)

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Sorry to say, but yes. I am totally sold on the PD12 now :-(

But I stand by every nice thing I said about the Warrior. I had my best singles season ever using it. But I just love the easy smooth power of the PD. I don't have to work as hard and I like that! :-)

Sounds like we are both very content (for the moment) with the choice we have made. Swing away Jack!!!!!!

jackcrawford
04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
I could pick up any one of these racquets and use them immediately without much time to acclimate needed.
Have you ever thought about buying just one, since you know you like to switch, and the keep your 2nd and 3rd faves as backups, given the above comment? Definitely cheaper and you still get to enjoy new frames! That's the way I used to do it when I was always switching.

ArliHawk
04-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Have you ever thought about buying just one, since you know you like to switch, and the keep your 2nd and 3rd faves as backups, given the above comment? Definitely cheaper and you still get to enjoy new frames! That's the way I used to do it when I was always switching.

This is what I have settled on. Using the Pure Drive 2012 as my primary racquet, and using my 2011 Aero Pro French Open as my backup. Those racquets seem to be close enough should I need to make a switch due to a broken string. Plus, if one suits my mood better, I can change to it and not feel guilty.

YesTennis
04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
For ArliHawk or others- how would you compare the 2012 PD to your APD? Many say that they are very similar, except the APD makes it slightly easier to hit topspin. The APD has a higher SW, and you'd think it would have more plow, but the consensus seems to be that you can drive the ball better with the PD. Appreciate the thoughts of those who have played with both.

BC1
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
For ArliHawk or others- how would you compare the 2012 PD to your APD? Many say that they are very similar, except the APD makes it slightly easier to hit topspin. The APD has a higher SW, and you'd think it would have more plow, but the consensus seems to be that you can drive the ball better with the PD. Appreciate the thoughts of those who have played with both.

You are correct in your statements above. To me the apd is better suited for a topspin game and the Pd is better for an all around game and flatter strokes. If you swing exceptionally fast and try to use a lot of topspin on every stroke go with apd. If not, then the Pd would be better.

JackB1
04-24-2012, 05:03 PM

I like to switch, but then I like to play soley with that racquet for a while. If I have 2 or 3 different models in the bag, I will be tempted to switch back and then back again....it would make me too crazy to have all these choices :-)

ArliHawk
04-25-2012, 06:09 AM

The 2012 PD seems to have a bit more power to me and a very forgiving sweetspot. It seems easier to hit flatter with the PD, too. My forehand is greatly improved with the Pure Drive (although that may be psychological). That being said, I love the stability of both racquets, and my serve isn't quite up to par with the Pure drive since it is so new. In my mind, they are both great racquets.

The plow argument may come down to the new PD having a slightly higher twistweight, so it may feel stable. In my mind, you can't go wrong with either racquet.

Hope that helps.

Dgdavid
04-25-2012, 06:13 AM
I like to switch, but then I like to play soley with that racquet for a while. If I have 2 or 3 different models in the bag, I will be tempted to switch back and then back again....it would make me too crazy to have all these choices :-)

I think having two month cycles with a single racket before switching would be regarded as great progress at my Racketoholics Anonymous meetings!

YesTennis
04-25-2012, 08:48 AM
ArliHawk- thanks for the info!

interjim
04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Comparing the specs, I wonder if the EXO3 Warrior plays anything like the old O3 Red. The O3 as a poor man's Warrior, even?

JackB1
04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Comparing the specs, I wonder if the EXO3 Warrior plays anything like the old O3 Red. The O3 as a poor man's Warrior, even?

not too alike. The Red is very powerful and lighter than the Warrior. The Red is a tweener through and through and the Warrior is a "players tweener".

interjim
04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
not too alike. The Red is very powerful and lighter than the Warrior. The Red is a tweener through and through and the Warrior is a "players tweener".

Hey Jack, thanks for your take. That was my thought, too, when I began reading this thread, but the more I read the more it made me think of the O3 Reds that I've pulled out the closet again (Aero 4G 200 is a bit much for me right now, it seems). The specs, as I pull them up with TW's comparo function, aren't all that dissimilar: the Red is only 1/2 an ounce lighter and actually lower-powered (low-medium, to the Warrior's medium rating). Swing weight and balance point aren't far-removed either...

RollTrackTake
04-25-2012, 05:16 PM
After most of you, if not all, jumped ship to the PD 2012 or others what are you're final thoughts on the Warrior? Best setup? What are its strengths & weaknesses?

....I just picked up a brand new one on the cheap and am looking for a control oriented setup

JackB1
04-25-2012, 07:08 PM
After most of you, if not all, jumped ship to the PD 2012 or others what are you're final thoughts on the Warrior? Best setup? What are its strengths & weaknesses?

....I just picked up a brand new one on the cheap and am looking for a control oriented setup

I thought I was jumping ship to the PD but I'm still undecided. I like both and haven't really given the PD enough time in singles matches to make a decision I feel good about yet. I am also concerned about the PD's stiffness of 72, which is 8 pts higher than the Warrior's 64!. I also want to try a few different string setups in the PD.

RTT if you want a control setup, just use your favorite copoly at around 55.
I think Beast plays great in the racquet and I prefer a hybrid of Beast /Attack at 54/52.

It strengths are great baseline hitting and it provides easy access to topspin and good pace on serve. I didn't really notice any weaknesses but some of the TW reviewers have mentioned a lack of feel or a disconnected feeling with their shots. I never experienced that, but I think it's a personal preference thing. The Warrior is just a great all around stick that has a huge sweetspot and makes the game easier. Just read my initial review on page 1 of this thread.

keithfival
04-25-2012, 07:20 PM

My fav setup was 18g poly main at 56, 17g syn gut cross at 57. Had excellent control like that. I tried several setups at lower tensions and didn't have the same control.

Strengths- flat serve (A++), versatilty-- there wasn't single shot that was difficult with it.

Weakness- lacked stability to me. When I added enough weight to make it stable I lost the control.

JackB1
04-26-2012, 05:52 AM
My fav setup was 18g poly main at 56, 17g syn gut cross at 57. Had excellent control like that. I tried several setups at lower tensions and didn't have the same control.

Strengths- flat serve (A++), versatilty-- there wasn't single shot that was difficult with it.

Weakness- lacked stability to me. When I added enough weight to make it stable I lost the control.

meaning when you added lead tape, the racquet became too powerful? Couldn't you adjust your string setup after you added lead to lessen the power?

keithfival
04-26-2012, 07:03 AM
meaning when you added lead tape, the racquet became too powerful? Couldn't you adjust your string setup after you added lead to lessen the power?

Possibly, but the more I tinkered with it the less I liked it (I had to add quite a bit of weight). Also, I have this strange neck thing that some frames bother and some don't. The Warrior did, and at higher tension it would only have been worse. That was probably the thing that ultimately killed it the experimenting.

Also, when I hit with my friends o3 white it had everything I liked about the Warrior plus fantastic stability and didn't bother my neck at stock weight. Unfortunately, the one I bought was 1pt HH instead of 4-6pts HL, basically a different frame. Waiting to see wait TW says about it...

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
04-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I finally got to go pickup my 2nd Warrior from the tennis shop today. Was just as anxious to go get it as I was the 1st one!! Jack, we are patiently awaiting your return to the fold after you do your extended side by side play with the Warrior and PD!! In print, the new Head Speed Pro Lite looks really good. I tried on a pair of these in the store today and I have to say that I was disappointed and also glad that I was. I have been using the T-22 for a couple years now and have to say they fit my foot great. Wasn't looking to switch shoes for tennis, but since our local high school colors are orange/black/white, figured it would be neat to wear to functions, but that's money I could spend on another pair of T-22's, so that's what I did..........

JackB1
04-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I finally got to go pickup my 2nd Warrior from the tennis shop today. Was just as anxious to go get it as I was the 1st one!! Jack, we are patiently awaiting your return to the fold after you do your extended side by side play with the Warrior and PD!! In print, the new Head Speed Pro Lite looks really good. I tried on a pair of these in the store today and I have to say that I was disappointed and also glad that I was. I have been using the T-22 for a couple years now and have to say they fit my foot great. Wasn't looking to switch shoes for tennis, but since our local high school colors are orange/black/white, figured it would be neat to wear to functions, but that's money I could spend on another pair of T-22's, so that's what I did..........

I was too hasty in dismissing the Warrior for the PD. I now have 2 of each and will take my time and decide which works better for me. No pressure....just waiting for one to naturally emerge as the better one for me. I need to try some different string setups in each to really decide. They both are great sticks but no matter how incredible one may be for someone else, that doesn't mean it will be the same for you. For now, I feel more "comfortable" with the Warrior and that may just be because I have logged more hours with it. The Warrior works great for my "all around" game, whereas the PD is mostly setup for crushing serves and groundstrokes. I will keep testing both and report my findings.

El Diablo
04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Ever been married, Jack? Social scientists say that online dating has made it harder for people to commit to other people because they always feel there might be a better choice that they haven't encountered yet, and it's just a matter of logging on to find out. Perhaps online demos have a comparable effect.

JackB1
04-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Ever been married, Jack? Social scientists say that online dating has made it harder for people to commit to other people because they always feel there might be a better choice that they haven't encountered yet, and it's just a matter of logging on to find out. Perhaps online demos have a comparable effect.

Yes...in fact we just celebrated our 10th anniversary! Luckily my commitment issues don't extend past sports (I was the same way with golf clubs...lol.)

Power Player
04-29-2012, 09:29 AM

That's a great point. I don't online date but I find being younger and single right now to be rather enjoyable due to technology like texting, etc.. I also like to try racquet's..lol. It definitley is due to the glut of info because back in the day I would pick a racquet that had a cool paint job and was used by my favorite player and be set for years.

Jack the extended demo is the way to go. I am doing the same with my pure drives. Figuring out plus length versus standard has always been tough for me.

JackB1
04-29-2012, 09:37 AM
That's a great point. I don't online date but I find being younger and single right now to be rather enjoyable due to technology like texting, etc.. I also like to try racquet's..lol. It definitley is due to the glut of info because back in the day I would pick a racquet that had a cool paint job and was used by my favorite player and be set for years.

Jack the extended demo is the way to go. I am doing the same with my pure drives. Figuring out plus length versus standard has always been tough for me.

I think the extended vs plus is something you decide on early and stick with it.
I play dubs and singles and I also tend to jammed a lot, so standard is clearly my choice. I am also 6'1", so no need for extra length and I get enough power with standard length sticks. So for me, the pros of standard outweigh the cons.
I did use the Speed MP for a while, which was 27.25 and that didn't seem that much different, but when I did go back to standard, it was noticeable.

RollTrackTake
04-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Just got my Warrior today. Love the cosmetic. Beam is thicker than I thought it would be. Can't wait to string it up and give it a go this week. String wise I've got Lux Savage, Mantis Comfort Poly & Tourna BHBR to choose from for mains & Gosen sheep 16, Dunlop comfort silk & Wilson sensation for crosses. Or should I try a full bed of Multifeel, Mantis synthetic Gamma Live Wire

JackB1
04-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Just got my Warrior today. Love the cosmetic. Beam is thicker than I thought it would be. Can't wait to string it up and give it a go this week. String wise I've got Lux Savage, Mantis Comfort Poly & Tourna BHBR to choose from for mains & Gosen sheep 16, Dunlop comfort silk & Wilson sensation for crosses. Or should I try a full bed of Multifeel, Mantis synthetic Gamma Live Wire

depends how much power or control you want? What have you used/liked before in other racquets? Personally I would do BHBR/gosen at 52/54.

RollTrackTake
04-29-2012, 05:38 PM
depends how much power or control you want? What have you used/liked before in other racquets? Personally I would do BHBR/gosen at 52/54.

Assuming the Warrior has a power level near the BLX Pro Open I would think I need a hybrid set up with poly mains @55lbs Syn crosses at 60. I would do a full bed of multi at 60lbs, full bed of poly at 55. I liked a full bed of B5E in my ncode/BLX Pro open at 55. If the warrior is lower powered than I would go with your recommendation. I'll probably go through a couple trial & error weeks with string setups. Since December I'm playing with the Donnay P1 hybrid at 54/58 and full poly job at 54. The porridge is slightly too powerful on set up 1, and a tad too weak on set up 2. I will just have to experiment to see how the warrior handles. I'm pulling for the warrior because I grew up playing prince sticks and already I love how it feels in my hand.

JackB1
04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Assuming the Warrior has a power level near the BLX Pro Open I would think I need a hybrid set up with poly mains @55lbs Syn crosses at 60. I would do a full bed of multi at 60lbs, full bed of poly at 55. I liked a full bed of B5E in my ncode/BLX Pro open at 55. If the warrior is lower powered than I would go with your recommendation. I'll probably go through a couple trial & error weeks with string setups. Since December I'm playing with the Donnay P1 hybrid at 54/58 and full poly job at 54. The porridge is slightly too powerful on set up 1, and a tad too weak on set up 2. I will just have to experiment to see how the warrior handles. I'm pulling for the warrior because I grew up playing prince sticks and already I love how it feels in my hand.

The Warrior is slightly more powerful than the BLX Pro Open.

keithfival
04-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Poly/syn 56/57 worked best for me. Everything lower than was hard to control for me.

fibonacci888
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
i'm thinking of a good setup for testing the warrior. Any thoughts?

Full synth gut?
Full multi?
Hybrid? poly mains or cross?

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
05-07-2012, 10:58 AM

Full synth gut?
Full multi?

I'm running full multi Dunlop Hexy Fiber @ 54 and I really like the way this plays.

JackB1
05-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Full synth gut?
Full multi?

poly/multi worked great for me at 54/56

ramos77
05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm using Babolat VS touch 16 @ 60 pounds.

It's perfect. String movement is a problem but going to use string savers

JackB1
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
So who else is sticking with this wonderful frame? I think I Mau be coming back?. I have been experimenting with the new Pure Drive, but lost something on my serve with the switch. I also miss the softer feel of the Warrior. I went back and reread my comments on the Warrior and I must have been insane to switch away.

fibonacci888
05-13-2012, 12:29 PM
The PD is not that good a stick, so i would say turn away from the dark side.
Everybody is talking the marketing talk and some enthousiastic users convince others. The have turned blind for criticism. Fact (for me and some other users) is that if you don't hit a clean shot the frame is harsh and unforgiving.

The warrior is still one of my options, but i'm also going to test a bit heavier with the technifibre Tflash 315. Other contender is the Pacific Xfast, also a great frame.

JackB1
05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
The PD is not that good a stick, so i would say turn away from the dark side.
Everybody is talking the marketing talk and some enthousiastic users convince others. The have turned blind for criticism. Fact (for me and some other users) is that if you don't hit a clean shot the frame is harsh and unforgiving.

The warrior is still one of my options, but i'm also going to test a bit heavier with the technifibre Tflash 315. Other contender is the Pacific Xfast, also a great frame.

I don't find the PD that harsh but it is unforgiving when you miss the center and the ball goes nowhere. The Warriors sweet spot seems about double the size.

TheBoom
05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Tried it and it was ok, i feel it is a good stick if you are going for lots of spin but i hated the feel on flat serves and groundstrokes. Perhaps it was the synthetic strings in the demo but it lacked feel and i felt that the ball got lost at times. When i timed it right i was able to hit a very good rally ball but i just couldnt get used to the feel of the ball on the stringbed which is weird since i happened to enjoy the rebel 98, 95 and the exo3 tour 18x20 so maybe it is just this stick or the strings. I also felt that there wasnt enough mass in stock form. If i were to use it i would put poly in around 58lbs to improve the feel and add half an ounce of weight for more plow through. Overall i could use it i just dont happen to enjoy it much

ramos77
05-13-2012, 04:33 PM
how does the warrior 100 compare to the Tour 100?

thanks

JackB1
05-13-2012, 04:38 PM
how does the warrior 100 compare to the Tour 100?

thanks

2 totally different sticks...the Warrior is much more powerful and not quite as dampened or heavy as the Tour. The Tour is more of a control oriented stick. More flexy feeling too, with a much thinner beam. The Warrior leans towards "tweener", while the Tour is more of a advanced players stick

RollTrackTake
05-13-2012, 08:40 PM
With USTA coming to a close for me until fall the Warrior will finally see some significant match play. Singles & dubs. I'm going with B5E mains @ 55, prince duraflex synthetic @ 60. A little bit higher tension than my Pro Open. I love my summer tennis because I pull out the oldie but goodie racquets along with a newbie when playing matches out in the park. Trying to play 8 tournaments over the next 3 months as well. Should be a good test for the Warrior. Are string inserts not an option for the warrior ports?

JackB1
05-14-2012, 05:40 AM
With USTA coming to a close for me until fall the Warrior will finally see some significant match play. Singles & dubs. I'm going with B5E mains @ 55, prince duraflex synthetic @ 60. A little bit higher tension than my Pro Open. I love my summer tennis because I pull out the oldie but goodie racquets along with a newbie when playing matches out in the park. Trying to play 8 tournaments over the next 3 months as well. Should be a good test for the Warrior. Are string inserts not an option for the warrior ports?

I would think you could get be string hole inserts for the Warfield. Might give the racquet better feel?

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
05-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Jack, have you hit with the Wilson BLX Six One 100?? If so, what did you think of it compared to the Warrior......

JackB1
05-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Jack, have you hit with the Wilson BLX Six One 100?? If so, what did you think of it compared to the Warrior......

nope, never tried that one

ramos77
05-16-2012, 03:13 AM
so I've gone back to my warrior after buying a Donnay Pro One 97.

the 100 is a better racquet for me. I never really gave it a chance and stupidly bought the POne because I liked the way it looked.

I love the handle, the weight, and the way it easily swings trough the air with ease.

Have strung it with with Babolat VS touch, and it feels awesome. My backhand slice is off the hook, it just cuts through the air, I couldn't do this in the pro one. It also doesn't hurt my arm at all.

Time to get rid of the pro one, and buy another warrior me thinks...

JackB1
05-16-2012, 07:05 AM
I think I am also on my way back home to the Warrior. Its so nice to have ZERO soreness in my wrist or shoulder after playing. Its just soft enough to protect your arm, but stiff enough to give you firmness behind your shots. But the biggest thing for me is the way it turns my serve back into a weapon.

ArliHawk
05-16-2012, 07:49 AM
I think I am also on my way back home to the Warrior. Its so nice to have ZERO soreness in my wrist or shoulder after playing. Its just soft enough to protect your arm, but stiff enough to give you firmness behind your shots. But the biggest thing for me is the way it turns my serve back into a weapon.

The wrist soreness is what drove me away fromt the Pure Drive. And I don't think it was technique, because I went back the APDGT and am not feeling any pain. So I am set for a while with racquets, until the new APD comes out next year. :)

RollTrackTake
05-16-2012, 11:17 AM
so I've gone back to my warrior after buying a Donnay Pro One 97.

the 100 is a better racquet for me. I never really gave it a chance and stupidly bought the POne because I liked the way it looked.

I love the handle, the weight, and the way it easily swings trough the air with ease.

Have strung it with with Babolat VS touch, and it feels awesome. My backhand slice is off the hook, it just cuts through the air, I couldn't do this in the pro one. It also doesn't hurt my arm at all.

Time to get rid of the pro one, and buy another warrior me thinks...

If that Pro 1 is a 4 3/8 or 4 1/2 I would love to add it to my stockpile! I could also trade you a Warrior in 9.9/10 condition for it.

JackB1
05-16-2012, 11:26 AM
If that Pro 1 is a 4 3/8 or 4 1/2 I would love to add it to my stockpile! I could also trade you a Warrior in 9.9/10 condition for it.

I may be interested in your Warrior. What is gripsize?

RollTrackTake
05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I may be interested in your Warrior. What is gripsize?

4 3/8. I thought you were a 4 1/2 guy?

JackB1
05-16-2012, 05:25 PM
4 3/8. I thought you were a 4 1/2 guy?

I am. If it were a 4 1/2 I would buy it off you.

RollTrackTake
05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
I am. If it were a 4 1/2 I would buy it off you.

No worries. There were quite a few on the bay available a few weeks back that were good deals.

Al1978
05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I've been playing with the Warrior for a few months and haven't even been tempted to try other racquets, which I used to do almost obsessively. After a while the novelty of buying new frames wore thin, and the frequent switches didn't help my game at all, to say the least. I'm very much set with the Warrior for the long haul. Frames specs notwithstanding, the grip is the right shape for me. I used Dunlop for a while, which has one of the boxier shapes on the market, but even that felt a little awkward from time to time on the backhand side. The Prince's more symmetrical shape feels natural off both wings. But I do like the specs of the Warrior. The only change I had to make was swapping out the synthetic grip for leather, which I do with every racquet more so because I prefer the feel, but the added weight to the Warrior brings it up to around 11.7, which for me is a good compromise. I've had problems with both very stiff and very flexible racquets, for different reasons of course, so the Warrior is a good solution on that front. No complaints.

ramos77
05-16-2012, 11:58 PM
can someone please tell me where to buy the silver part of the grommets for this racquet? the silver bit on the outside of the racquets

I want to spray mine black, thanks

JackB1
05-17-2012, 05:12 AM
can someone please tell me where to buy the silver part of the grommets for this racquet? the silver bit on the outside of the racquets

I want to spray mine black, thanks

I would contact Prince. It probably comes with the grommet set.

RollTrackTake
05-17-2012, 07:16 AM
anyone using a full bed of multi or syn gut strings with the Warrior?
What tension would you recommend to tame the power?

JackB1
05-17-2012, 08:55 AM
anyone using a full bed of multi or syn gut strings with the Warrior?
What tension would you recommend to tame the power?

58 if you supply lots of your own power. 56 if you want more free power.

Power Player
05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
2 pounds is not seriously going to make that much a difference..lol.

CBORNANCINI
05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
To be honest, I really don't understand the "lack of feel" comments at all.
Do any other Warrior users feel any "lack of feel" or "disconnect" with this racquet? I did in the past with some of the very muted Prince OPort racquets, but not at all with the Warrior. I know that "feel" is a very personal and subjective thing, but I really can't agree with those comments.

In answer to your question, I found the Prince Warrior with great feel, had no problem with that. But I found this racquet very good, wonderful for slices, although it has seen many bad reviews about it here on TW ... Really this is very personal.

neverstopplaying
05-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Is this a first for you JackB1, going back to an old flame? Seems like a great stick.

JackB1
05-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Is this a first for you JackB1, going back to an old flame? Seems like a great stick.

Not really. I never left the Warrior...I kept both and decided to take my time deciding between the two. I am still in "limbo" :-)

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 12:21 AM
I shouldn't have sold them. There, I said it.

JackB1
05-18-2012, 06:21 AM
I shouldn't have sold them. There, I said it.

Hey bud....if I had a dime every time I said that, I would probably be able to buy a cup of coffee :-)

David....in reading your posts, you really seem like you need something in between a pure tweener (V1) and players racquet (Vcore95). Where its not so light that you can not move your feet and flick winners and where its not so unforgiving that you can't get back shots where you aren't perfectly set up.
Something around 11.5 oz with decent power and user friendliness. Have you ever tried the Head Speed 315 16x19? That fits the bill.

BobFL
05-18-2012, 06:37 AM

Absolutely not. Jack holds PhD is 'Switching Sciences'. Soon to be Professor Emeritus.

jjs891
05-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Not really. I never left the Warrior...I kept both and decided to take my time deciding between the two. I am still in "limbo" :-)

Great decision.

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Hey bud....if I had a dime every time I said that, I would probably be able to buy a cup of coffee :-)

David....in reading your posts, you really seem like you need something in between a pure tweener (V1) and players racquet (Vcore95). Where its not so light that you can not move your feet and flick winners and where its not so unforgiving that you can't get back shots where you aren't perfectly set up.
Something around 11.5 oz with decent power and user friendliness. Have you ever tried the Head Speed 315 16x19? That fits the bill.

Spec wise, I think you're right although I could probably commit to either of the V1 or Vcore 95 so I would regard them as within my range (wide range!). Maybe something in between might nail it. I did try the Speed 315 (both 16x19 and 18x20) and thought they were okay but not great for me. That said, I was not the player then that I am now so could revisit. I ended up with the Speed 300 and play last autumn, early winter with it.

A V1 that was 20-25g heavier would be good. Formula 100 is back in my thoughts (solidity of impact) and maybe grabbing back a PDR that has a poly or gut. Heard about an Organix 9 too.

JackB1
05-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Spec wise, I think you're right although I could probably commit to either of the V1 or Vcore 95 so I would regard them as within my range (wide range!). Maybe something in between might nail it. I did try the Speed 315 (both 16x19 and 18x20) and thought they were okay but not great for me. That said, I was not the player then that I am now so could revisit. I ended up with the Speed 300 and play last autumn, early winter with it.

A V1 that was 20-25g heavier would be good. Formula 100 is back in my thoughts (solidity of impact) and maybe grabbing back a PDR that has a poly or gut. Heard about an Organix 9 too.

I think any time you have to add more than 10 grams to a racquet, you are just altering it too much IMO from what the racquet mfg. intended it to be. There is reason why it was designed stock the way it was. I think lead tape should be used as "fine tuning" only...not to dramatically alter.

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 07:34 AM
I think any time you have to add more than 10 grams to a racquet, you are just altering it too much IMO from what the racquet mfg. intended it to be. There is reason why it was designed stock the way it was. I think lead tape should be used as "fine tuning" only...not to dramatically alter.

TW University says 15g in the throat to give the V1 a SW of 312 but keep balance the same. Worried it is too much. I think no point revisiting PDR (thanks for your comment in PD thread btw) and Warriors are 152 each (having just sold two for 130!). Thinking the Formula 100 with its 320 SW might be spot on. Will try V1 with 15g first though.

Power Player
05-18-2012, 07:47 AM
I would not add more than 4 grams at a time to a racquet..and 4 is a lot. I started with 4 on my PDR and decided I wanted 6 and that nailed it.

15 is way too much, you will be in "lead hell" trying to figure out what to do and where to place it.

Your biggest racuqet problem IMO, from reading your posts, is that you dont spend nearly enough time with each racquet, and instead fall into the (common) trap of demo excitement.

Demo excitement is pretty awesome, but you are clearly at the stage of wanting to get on with it and have a consistent game. So the main thing to consider is you will need to spend time with the Volkl, Donnay and maybe a warrior..try different string jobs and some lead..see what works for you. It is super frustrating at times, but so nice when you finally figure it out.

BTW too heavy for me boils down to how hard it is to serve in the 3rd set. That is a nice little guideline.

JackB1
05-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I would not add more than 4 grams at a time to a racquet..and 4 is a lot. I started with 4 on my PDR and decided I wanted 6 and that nailed it.

15 is way too much, you will be in "lead hell" trying to figure out what to do and where to place it.

Your biggest racuqet problem IMO, from reading your posts, is that you dont spend nearly enough time with each racquet, and instead fall into the (common) trap of demo excitement.

Demo excitement is pretty awesome, but you are clearly at the stage of wanting to get on with it and have a consistent game. So the main thing to consider is you will need to spend time with the Volkl, Donnay and maybe a warrior..try different string jobs and some lead..see what works for you. It is super frustrating at times, but so nice when you finally figure it out.

BTW too heavy for me boils down to how hard it is to serve in the 3rd set. That is a nice little guideline.

I agree that's also my way of telling if "too heavy". If its a chore to serve with when tired, its "too heavy". Or if you are constantly "late" on overheads or quick returns.

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Demo excitement? I start looking at new rackets before the latest delivery has even seen a tennis ball!

I am torn. The 95d might be too demanding but it strikes so well. Haven't got to a 3rd set with it but I can imagine serving won't be much fun by then. I like the v1 but slightly too light. Infact, it is testament to it that I am using lead tape for the first time rather than selling and buying. Usually don't bother with that.

You clicked with PDR quite quick though PP? And pretty fast with the Warrior if I recall Jack?

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 10:35 AM
I remember saying I like everything about the Warrior except the flat kill shot. What a berk!

Power Player
05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Demo excitement? I start looking at new rackets before the latest delivery has even seen a tennis ball!

I am torn. The 95d might be too demanding but it strikes so well. Haven't got to a 3rd set with it but I can imagine serving won't be much fun by then. I like the v1 but slightly too light. Infact, it is testament to it that I am using lead tape for the first time rather than selling and buying. Usually don't bother with that.

You clicked with PDR quite quick though PP? And pretty fast with the Warrior if I recall Jack?

I did indeed. But I have been trying sticks and improving my technique to where I know what I want. My final challenge was + length versus standard, and I figured that out after 2 months.

JackB1
05-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Have you tried the Vcore 98D? Its like the 95 but easier to use and more powerful.

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Have you tried the Vcore 98D? Its like the 95 but easier to use and more powerful.

yep, two stints with it, second was more successful and nearly switched.
Haven't ruled out the 95D, it is more powerful than my Prestige MP but still solid. Playing next match with V1 then two friendlies with the 95D.

I read a post by Brittany and she liked the V1, Formula 100 and to a lesser extent, the Warrior. I just read that she switched to the Vcore 100S a while ago and it is still her stick. Interesting. Did you try the vcore 100?

JackB1
05-18-2012, 11:57 AM
yep, two stints with it, second was more successful and nearly switched.
Haven't ruled out the 95D, it is more powerful than my Prestige MP but still solid. Playing next match with V1 then two friendlies with the 95D.

I read a post by Brittany and she liked the V1, Formula 100 and to a lesser extent, the Warrior. I just read that she switched to the Vcore 100S a while ago and it is still her stick. Interesting. Did you try the vcore 100?

I never did, but always wanted to. I would imagine its like a slightly lighter and more powerful 98d. Similar to the PD.

Have you tried the Biomimetic 500 tour? Another one I always wanted to try.

Fed Kennedy
05-18-2012, 12:01 PM
David, I have the 95d and the 100s...the 95d is a full blown players frame similar to a prostaff without the qc headaches...
With some light customs (heavy grip) the 100s is an incredible all court frame similar to a pd or a pro open, but with a slightly slimmer beam, better feel and easier to play with variety...best 100 inch racquet I have tried...

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I never did, but always wanted to. I would imagine its like a slightly lighter and more powerful 98d. Similar to the PD.

Have you tried the Biomimetic 500 tour? Another one I always wanted to try.

yep, sold them to kissmyace. Good racket but I preferred the PD. Felt more solid though. In fact, that was one I regret not giving enough time to. I think BC1 had a short period too with it.

Only main 100 contenders i haven't tried are F100, Vcore 100s, PS BLX 100, Wilson Juice.

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 12:17 PM
David, I have the 95d and the 100s...the 95d is a full blown players frame similar to a prostaff without the qc headaches...
With some light customs (heavy grip) the 100s is an incredible all court frame similar to a pd or a pro open, but with a slightly slimmer beam, better feel and easier to play with variety...best 100 inch racquet I have tried...

Very interesting indeed. Now got 6g split at 3 and 9 on my V1. If it doesn't progress well, Vcore 100s might be top of my list to try. In fact, the list to try is now sadly down to two rackets, v100 and Formula 100. Still got very high hopes for the V1 with lead though.

BC1
05-18-2012, 05:10 PM
yep, sold them to kissmyace. Good racket but I preferred the PD. Felt more solid though. In fact, that was one I regret not giving enough time to. I think BC1 had a short period too with it.

Only main 100 contenders i haven't tried are F100, Vcore 100s, PS BLX 100, Wilson Juice.

Yes. I had the 500 tour. Sold it for no good reason. Great racquet and ive thought about revisiting it. The pds are still good for me. I'm just getting board and am ashamed to admit it, but I'm wanting to start demoing again. David, with that said, I picked up a v1 demo today while stoping in the shop to get some tennis balls. Stupid I know. But I cant help it. Its too much fun trying new racquets. Hope to put it to a test soon. Feels good in the hands.

JackB1
05-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes. I had the 500 tour. Sold it for no good reason. Great racquet and ive thought about revisiting it. The pds are still good for me. I'm just getting board and am ashamed to admit it, but I'm wanting to start demoing again. David, with that said, I picked up a v1 demo today while stoping in the shop to get some tennis balls. Stupidity no. But I cant help it. Its too much fun trying new racquets. Hope to put it to a test soon. Feels good in the hands.

BC was it the Biomimetic?. How does it compare to the reg PD12?

BC1
05-18-2012, 05:46 PM
BC was it the Biomimetic?. How does it compare to the reg PD12?

Yes. Bio 500 tour. Its been a long while, but it is softer and more of a players type feel. Cant give you an accurate comparison, but thinking back I cant remember what ixdidnt like about it.

Dgdavid
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Yes. I had the 500 tour. Sold it for no good reason. Great racquet and ive thought about revisiting it. The pds are still good for me. I'm just getting board and am ashamed to admit it, but I'm wanting to start demoing again. David, with that said, I picked up a v1 demo today while stoping in the shop to get some tennis balls. Stupid I know. But I cant help it. Its too much fun trying new racquets. Hope to put it to a test soon. Feels good in the hands.

You'll like it I think. Playing with it leaded today 3G at both 3 and 9, 3G under buttcap and 1g at 12. Will report back in V1 thread.

prjacobs
05-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes. Bio 500 tour. Its been a long while, but it is softer and more of a players type feel. Cant give you an accurate comparison, but thinking back I cant remember what ixdidnt like about it.

By any chance did you try the 4D 500 tour. In theory, the bio 500 tour is softer...

RollTrackTake
05-19-2012, 03:07 PM

The Donnay Pro 1 is 11.5 oz, has ample power and I find it user friendly. It's 327 SW gives it a substantial feel. Its worth a try. The Formula 100 also has a SW in the 320's. Also worth a try. I'm still tinkering with the Formula 100 when playing doubles. I've had it strung at 50lbs with Focus Hex and the results have been poor so far. Going to try the F100 with a full bed of Iontec Black at 52lbs in the next month.

Dgdavid
05-19-2012, 03:24 PM
The Donnay Pro 1 is 11.5 oz, has ample power and I find it user friendly. It's 327 SW gives it a substantial feel. Its worth a try. The Formula 100 also has a SW in the 320's. Also worth a try. I'm still tinkering with the Formula 100 when playing doubles. I've had it strung at 50lbs with Focus Hex and the results have been poor so far. Going to try the F100 with a full bed of Iontec Black at 52lbs in the next month.

Would you use the P1 or F100 in a demanding singles match?

RollTrackTake
05-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Would you use the P1 or F100 in a demanding singles match?

I have used my Pro 1 in demanding singles matches since December. In the third set, or after 2.5 hours, it does get slightly fatiguing. The good thing is that the weight/plow does a lot of the work for you. You don't have to put a lot of extra oomph into it. But my 1st serves do slow down a little.

BC1
05-19-2012, 05:09 PM
You'll like it I think. Playing with it leaded today 3G at both 3 and 9, 3G under buttcap and 1g at 12. Will report back in V1 thread.

Curious to hear report. But I do not want a racquet I HAVE to lead up.

BC1
05-19-2012, 05:12 PM
By any chance did you try the 4D 500 tour. In theory, the bio 500 tour is softer...

No I never tried it but have been tempted many times to order it. Great price! And like the specs. But like u said hear it is stiff.

ramos77
05-20-2012, 12:19 AM
hmmmm, has anyone snapped strings in quick time using the warrior?

I used string savers on vs gut and still broke them within a few hours....

JackB1
05-20-2012, 06:07 AM
hmmmm, has anyone snapped strings in quick time using the warrior?

I used string savers on vs gut and still broke them within a few hours....

one time I snapped a middle main near the frame after 10 minutes. Could have been a kink in the string or a freak accident.

Dgdavid
05-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Curious to hear report. But I do not want a racquet I HAVE to lead up.

I have to say, I didn't notice a huge difference which is odd but it was a doubles game which might as well be a different sport from my perspective. Playing again with it today against the same heavy hitter from last Sunday where I had it stock.

JackB1
05-22-2012, 09:37 AM

how does the Pro 1's power compare to the Warriors?

BC1
05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
I have to say, I didn't notice a huge difference which is odd but it was a doubles game which might as well be a different sport from my perspective. Playing again with it today against the same heavy hitter from last Sunday where I had it stock.

DG, demoing the V1 today.
and probably the 6.1 18x20. As I said in the other thread, they do not have a prestige demo. I almost grabbed the warrior!! One I traded in earlier. I almost can't remember what it was like now. I would probably love it all over again.

Dgdavid
05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
DG, demoing the V1 today.
and probably the 6.1 18x20. As I said in the other thread, they do not have a prestige demo. I almost grabbed the warrior!! One I traded in earlier. I almost can't remember what it was like now. I would probably love it all over again.

Well, I do remember that the Warrior 100 was the racket that made me switch from the Prestige (for a not dissimilar solidity of hit) so it was great and I spent best part of 400 on two of them strung with Jack's Attack/Beast combo. However, I am not committed to going back to the rackets I mentioned in your Prestige thread.

V1 is nice but I lost narrowly to two people that I subsequently crushed a few days later with the 95D, one of which was first time out with it. Might keep the V1 for our club social/mix in doubles if it doesnt sell. Nice stick but the bottom line is, I don't have a fast whippy swing.

ps. Bet you a fiver you and I settle with the same class of racket in the next 3-4 weeks. I am predicting 18x20 rackets just under 12 oz strung and a 95 sq inch head (which includes the Prestige small "98").

ramos77
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
how does the Pro 1's power compare to the Warriors?

Pro One is at least 10-15% more powerful IMO. I have both.

It's a fair bit heavier, or at least feels like it is.

RollTrackTake
05-24-2012, 02:04 PM

I'll agree that the Pro 1 can be as powerful as the warrior. All depends on set-up. My full poly Pro 1 is not as powerful as a full poly Warrior, both strung with B5E @ 55lbs.

CaptinStiff
06-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Hey all, reaching out the warrior faithful here regarding string tension. I recently switched to the Warrior here as my main frame and I'm really liking it so far. I'm really appreciating the effortless spin and power it can produce. Plus it's a great serving stick, and I've got plenty of touch for my volleys for my all court game.

I originally strung it at 60lbs with Prince Syn to try and make it a bit more control oriented. The results where a really stiff, dead, and hard to control racquet which wasn't working for me. So I had it restrung at 56lbs and that's seemed to loosen it up a bit for me some.

After going through this I was wondering what strings you've found best respond to this frame and the tensions that are working best. TW reviewers were right about the frame being really string sensitive.

Also I'm looking at adding a little more weight to it and was wondering if anybody had some success with that as well.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
06-11-2012, 02:55 AM
I also tried Prince syn. Gut and had poor results with it. Currently I am using Dunlop Hexy Fiber@ 54. I am going to string up my 2 nd racket with Prince Beast/Attack Hybrid @ 52/55 and see how I like that. There are several other posts in this forum with other choices of string and tensions....just have to start at the beginning and catch up.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
06-11-2012, 02:56 AM
I have not felt the need for any lead, it suits my game in stock form.

Dgdavid
06-11-2012, 02:59 AM
BC1, can you remember if you preferred the regular Warrior to the Team version?

BC1
06-11-2012, 03:21 AM
BC1, can you remember if you preferred the regular Warrior to the Team version?

No not really. I was honeymooning with both. I think at the time I was demoing the team, I thought to myself thisis more comfortable and better weighted with just as much power and control. However, it was just one of those good nights where everything was clicking. And i never tried it again. Vanity!! I need to give it another shot. The specs are similar to the xV1 I believe and the two racquets play similar if I recall correctly. I know the warrior team felt and played a lot heavier then 10.5. The sw is up there around 320. Its a solid frame.

Dgdavid
06-11-2012, 03:58 AM
No not really. I was honeymooning with both. I think at the time I was demoing the team, I thought to myself thisis more comfortable and better weighted with just as much power and control. However, it was just one of those good nights where everything was clicking. And i never tried it again. Vanity!! I need to give it another shot. The specs are similar to the xV1 I believe and the two racquets play similar if I recall correctly. I know the warrior team felt and played a lot heavier then 10.5. The sw is up there around 320. Its a solid frame.

303 for V1. 322 for Warrior Team. Will that make the Team play a bit more solid with greater depth (in theory)?

JackB1
06-11-2012, 05:35 AM

The Pro 1 gets some extra kick from it's higher swingweight and excellent plowthru. The Warrior needs more swingspeed to achieve the same power.
So it's really hard to say which is more....all depends on the user, but they are BOTH pretty powerful racquets that's for sure.

Power Player
06-11-2012, 05:48 AM
The Pro 1 gets some extra kick from it's higher swingweight and excellent plowthru. The Warrior needs more swingspeed to achieve the same power.
So it's really hard to say which is more....all depends on the user, but they are BOTH pretty powerful racquets that's for sure.

It sounds like you just said which is more powerful..lol.

BC1
06-11-2012, 05:59 AM
303 for V1. 322 for Warrior Team. Will that make the Team play a bit more solid with greater depth (in theory)?

Yes, theoretically the Warrior team would be more solid. But the v1 has a thicker beam and a slightly larger head, which "theoretically" could make it more stable/solid. It's probably a wash. Depends on which one you are capable of swinging faster.

Since we are putting our man-hood to the side and talking about these "lite" racquets, I wonder how the Aero Pro Team would be? Same specs - 10.6, even balance, 315 sw. or the Yonex rdis 200 lite? Great price for that one right now.

JackB1
06-11-2012, 06:13 AM
It sounds like you just said which is more powerful..lol.

yes in a way. But its like a heavy baseball bat. At some point the weight lowers your bestowed and you get diminishing returns.

BTW PP, you should try the Pro One. It's like an arm friendly PDR.

Dgdavid
06-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Yes, theoretically the Warrior team would be more solid. But the v1 has a thicker beam and a slightly larger head, which "theoretically" could make it more stable/solid. It's probably a wash. Depends on which one you are capable of swinging faster.

Since we are putting our man-hood to the side and talking about these "lite" racquets, I wonder how the Aero Pro Team would be? Same specs - 10.6, even balance, 315 sw. or the Yonex rdis 200 lite? Great price for that one right now.

Been and done the Aero Pro Team after my long stint with the full APD. Nice racket actually, my coach uses it for coaching sessions. Not for me though. You sound like you would edge towards the Team over the full Warrior?

ps. completely forgot I haven't hit my IG Rad OS in a singles match yet. So many rackets, I am forgetting some I actually own. And if I ever get my Tfight 320 back from my mate, might be able to try that too!

Dgdavid
06-11-2012, 06:17 AM
yes in a way. But its like a heavy baseball bat. At some point the weight lowers your bestowed and you get diminishing returns.

How were you getting on with the 95D PP? Would be interesting to see what you think of the P1 too.

Jack, any chance of a Warrior return or you done with it now?

Power Player
06-11-2012, 06:21 AM

I went down a hair in power with a more control frame. Currently loving the yonex 200. I got real used to the headshape on my backhand and now regular shaped sticks feel a little weird. Also, super kind to my arm for having the power it has.

Guys sorry I cant demo much due to league play and stroke grooving needing to be done fast. If I get a chance, ill grab a pro one, but don't hold your breath.

The 95D is simply awesome. A little more of a flat hitters stick though then I play. It also is the only racquet that has ever given me elbow pain even with gut mains. Long story short, I will probably be selling mine soon, which is a shame because I really really like that racquet.

JackB1
06-11-2012, 06:39 AM
How were you getting on with the 95D PP? Would be interesting to see what you think of the P1 too.

Jack, any chance of a Warrior return or you done with it now?

Pretty much done with it, but could happily use it as my main racquet with no reservations. The PD12 just edged it out in a long battle.

BC1
06-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Been and done the Aero Pro Team after my long stint with the full APD. Nice racket actually, my coach uses it for coaching sessions. Not for me though. You sound like you would edge towards the Team over the full Warrior?

ps. completely forgot I haven't hit my IG Rad OS in a singles match yet. So many rackets, I am forgetting some I actually own. And if I ever get my Tfight 320 back from my mate, might be able to try that too!

Dg, you do realize how insane all of this is. Us going from a 10.5 ounce racquet to a 12.0 racquet and back and forth and all in between. WE HAVE GOT TO SETTLE ON A WEIGHT CLASS AND THEN DECIDE. I'm about ready to say the hell with it all and just stick with my PD2012 which is right in the middle. I play just as well with that as any of the others and it's in the middle of the weight range, probably my safest bet.

Has anyone tried the Donnay Formula 100 - supposedly a better feeling, softer, more controlled PureDrive.

Dgdavid
06-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Dg, you do realize how insane all of this is. Us going from a 10.5 ounce racquet to a 12.0 racquet and back and forth and all in between. WE HAVE GOT TO SETTLE ON A WEIGHT CLASS AND THEN DECIDE. I'm about ready to say the hell with it all and just stick with my PD2012 which is right in the middle. I play just as well with that as any of the others and it's in the middle of the weight range, probably my safest bet.

Has anyone tried the Donnay Formula 100 - supposedly a better feeling, softer, more controlled PureDrive.

well I do think WTF is going on every time I look in my bag!
I have been going back through my old threads (including my comments in this one when i first switched to the Warrior).

I now remember preferring the PD to the Warrior but I was winning against the same people far easier with the Warrior. The V1 is a bit like that too. I don't really like it that much but results are very good. Love the Prestige Pro but results are awful. Not sure why I traded my 95D away for the Tfight 320 other than novelty except my head said 97 vcore 310g would be ideal. Then I had another stellar game with the V1 and it ruined my carefully laid out migration to Yonex.

Jack had a quick hit with the Formula 100 I recall. Xonemains (a converted P1 user) I think has ordered a F100 too so looking out for that.

Always interested in both but Donnay are a TW Europe blind purchase and they are the most expensive rackets I can buy from the UK. I think you should get one!

BC1
06-11-2012, 07:02 AM
I went down a hair in power with a more control frame. Currently loving the yonex 200. I got real used to the headshape on my backhand and now regular shaped sticks feel a little weird. Also, super kind to my arm for having the power it has.

Guys sorry I cant demo much due to league play and stroke grooving needing to be done fast. If I get a chance, ill grab a pro one, but don't hold your breath.

The 95D is simply awesome. A little more of a flat hitters stick though then I play. It also is the only racquet that has ever given me elbow pain even with gut mains. Long story short, I will probably be selling mine soon, which is a shame because I really really like that racquet.

What are your opinions on the Vcore 98D?
Anyone else tried the 98D?

Power Player
06-11-2012, 07:07 AM
I never used the 98d. You are all over the place still..lol. Just pick something. I'd still be PDR all day if my arm doesn't need a more flexy stick. Took me 2 demos to find my new stick..now I have to learn and groove it. It takes a few weeks, so every time you keep trying different sticks you hinder your progress on the courts.

BC1
06-11-2012, 07:11 AM
I never used the 98d. You are all over the place still..lol. Just pick something. I'd still be PDR all day if my arm doesn't need a more flexy stick. Took me 2 demos to find my new stick..now I have to learn and groove it. It takes a few weeks, so every time you keep trying different sticks you hinder your progress on the courts.

Yes, well aware. Problem is I like them all and have a hard time making a "final" decision. FWIW - I do this with everything. You should see me at a restaurant. I chase down the server everytime changing my order. Anyway, very indecisive. And I'm 10times worse with racquets.

JackB1
06-11-2012, 07:16 AM
I have used my Pro 1 in demanding singles matches since December. In the third set, or after 2.5 hours, it does get slightly fatiguing. The good thing is that the weight/plow does a lot of the work for you. You don't have to put a lot of extra oomph into it. But my 1st serves do slow down a little.

I will use my P1 in a singles match Tues nite for the first time. Have only played dubs with it so far. Am interested to see how I handle the extra swingweight once the match gets late.

Power Player
06-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Yes, well aware. Problem is I like them all and have a hard time making a "final" decision. FWIW - I do this with everything. You should see me at a restaurant. I chase down the server everytime changing my order. Anyway, very indecisive. And I'm 10times worse with racquets.

98D is most likely rather stiff as the 95D is. Yonex racquets are exceptional quality but I hit with a lot of spin and they just fit my strokes. I spent 2 hours with the 95D when I demoed it and then I was dialed in. Once you get dialed in with a yy when you go back to a regular stick you are going to be out of sorts again for a bit.

To test myself, I grabbed a pure storm tour demo since I have always loved it and the 95D smoked it. Just so much easier on backhands and the feel is more connected to the ball than the trampoline feel of the woofer grommets.

Only issue was a strong elbow pain from the 95D, so I went with the rdis 200. It is a more flexible stick and your strokes will need to be more developed to generate the same power from a PD type stick. It also takes time to adjust to more flex, so a 2 day demo probably wouldn't cut it.

Dgdavid
06-11-2012, 08:20 AM
I think the 98D is very nice especially with a Poly. I think the 95D edges it but hoping the 97 310g is the best of both worlds. I beat our Club's ladies Number 1 seed in a box league singles match with the 95D. Needed it because she was hitting balls like bricks!

Dgdavid
06-11-2012, 08:24 AM
PP, 89 Tour for you? People saying the head size is not dissimilar to 95 where it counts. Def too small for me after my BLX 90 fiasco (it didn't actually have a sweetspot at all!!).

Power Player
06-11-2012, 09:05 AM
I really like the rdis 200. Makes more sense for my game, but the 89 tour could be a fun demo. I just cant demo right now, I need to get used to the one stick for a while.

Dave M
06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I think the 98D is very nice especially with a Poly. I think the 95D edges it but hoping the 97 310g is the best of both worlds. I beat our Club's ladies Number 1 seed in a box league singles match with the 95D. Needed it because she was hitting balls like bricks!

The 95D is fantastic, you should probably trade for one with someone!! ;-)
:oops:
I haadn't realised you've used the warrior as well,Dgdavid, how did you find it in terms of comfort compared to the tour?

Dgdavid
06-12-2012, 03:04 PM
The 95D is fantastic, you should probably trade for one with someone!! ;-)
:oops:
I haadn't realised you've used the warrior as well,Dgdavid, how did you find it in terms of comfort compared to the tour?

No issues at all with comfort on any Prince racket except the POG OS. I remember after my first stint with the Exo3 Tour thinking it would be great to have this but a stiffer version. The Warrior felt like it was that racket and I was probably at my most consistent ever with the Warrior. Thick frame though (around 26mm) and had some issues flattening killshots that I didn't have with other rackets. The Warrior Team is now intriguing me because it is 20g lighter but has a higher SW.

You should try the Volkl Organix V1 Midplus Dave. Just seen a very nice one listed on a cool UK Facebook group!

BC1
06-13-2012, 06:35 AM
No issues at all with comfort on any Prince racket except the POG OS. I remember after my first stint with the Exo3 Tour thinking it would be great to have this but a stiffer version. The Warrior felt like it was that racket and I was probably at my most consistent ever with the Warrior. Thick frame though (around 26mm) and had some issues flattening killshots that I didn't have with other rackets. The Warrior Team is now intriguing me because it is 20g lighter but has a higher SW.

You should try the Volkl Organix V1 Midplus Dave. Just seen a very nice one listed on a cool UK Facebook group!

David, I think I'm finally putting the idea of getting the V1 to rest. Played a lot yesterday with it, the pd, and the pro open, as well as some with the ig rad mp and ig rad pro. Here is how I would rank them (based on yesterday):
pro open
pd
v1
rad mp
rad pro

At times the v1 was at the top, it is sooooo easy to play with, however when using it for an extended period the lightness actually became an issue. I think more so mentally then performance wise. I actually need to feel a little weight in the hands and through the swing, and it was just too light and I started to loose control of the shots. However, it is one of the easiest and most comfortable racquet I've ever played with and it does do everything well. Just needs a little weight, plus I cant get past that thick upper beam - but that is what helps it. Anyway, right now the pro open seems perfect. I don't understand why wilson hasn't marketed this racquet as a top tier stick. Bad decision on their part, but that helps keep the prices down.

Going to try a buddies Vcore 98D today. Looking forward to it. I'm also wanting to try the Dunlop 500 tour again.

So, for me, the end is near. It's going to be one of these five racquets: the pro open, the pd2012, the 98D, the 500 tour, or the Juice 100 (which I've always played great with, just stayed away for some reason - maybe the paint, or the semi negative reviews).

Dgdavid
06-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Retired my V1 too just yesterday, listed it in Europe Classified and the auction site. Same reasons as you actually and it came to light more in a match against a crafty player rather than a heavy hitter.

I will check out the Pro Open and also considering a recheck of IG Speed 18x20 and 500 Tour too (with a poly this time). Warrior Team not on the list? Using my birthday present tonight (IG Radical OS)!

Dgdavid
06-13-2012, 08:01 AM
As far as Yonex is concerned, I will likely go straight to the 97 Tour 310g as I liked the 98D and 95D a lot and this splits the two weight wise.

BC1
06-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Retired my V1 too just yesterday, listed it in Europe Classified and the auction site. Same reasons as you actually and it came to light more in a match against a crafty player rather than a heavy hitter.

I will check out the Pro Open and also considering a recheck of IG Speed 18x20 and 500 Tour too (with a poly this time). Warrior Team not on the list? Using my birthday present tonight (IG Radical OS)!

For me Poly is a must. Especially in the 500 tour. I also hit with the speed 300mp yesterday. Liked it more then I remember in the past. No, I am not going to give the warrior team another try for the simple reason that I don't want to play with a prince or a "team", silly reason maybe, but there are so many options out there that have the same results.

JackB1
06-13-2012, 08:17 AM

I have tried the F100 but much prefer the Pro One. But yes you could say the F100 is a softer more controlled PD, but you could also say that about the Pro One. But the Pro One is a bit heavier.

JackB1
06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
David, I think I'm finally putting the idea of getting the V1 to rest. Played a lot yesterday with it, the pd, and the pro open, as well as some with the ig rad mp and ig rad pro. Here is how I would rank them (based on yesterday):
pro open
pd
v1
rad mp
rad pro

Going to try a buddies Vcore 98D today. Looking forward to it. I'm also wanting to try the Dunlop 500 tour again.

So, for me, the end is near. It's going to be one of these five racquets: the pro open, the pd2012, the 98D, the 500 tour, or the Juice 100 (which I've always played great with, just stayed away for some reason - maybe the paint, or the semi negative reviews).

What did you think of the Rad Pro? I really like it along with the Donnay Pro One. They are almost identical spec-wise. Once you get used to that extra swingweight and plowthru, its tough to to back to the light 11 oz racquets. Like you said, you NEED to feel some of that weight while swinging.

BC1
06-13-2012, 09:08 AM
What did you think of the Rad Pro? I really like it along with the Donnay Pro One. They are almost identical spec-wise. Once you get used to that extra swingweight and plowthru, its tough to to back to the light 11 oz racquets. Like you said, you NEED to feel some of that weight while swinging.

I hate to knock the Rad Pro because it could just be me, but out of all the racquets I've tried, and you know how many that is, the Rad Pro was probably one of my least favorite demos. I usually enjoy ALL rackets initially (honeymoon), even if its for a short time. And if not initially, after 10 to 15 minutes of hitting I will start to warm up to it. But that didn't happen with the IGRP. Granted I may just need some serious time to adjust and it may be wonderful. But I don't think it is for me. It feels heavy, board like, and sluggish. My 6.1 is more friendly and comfortable to me. Like I said, I've tried not to say much about it, becuase I really think it is just me and the racquet is probably great with the right player. I also tried the IG radMP yesterday and hit with them back to back. To me the MP was far better. Liked it alot and could see myself playing with it.

Yes, too light is not good, but the 11.1-11.4 range is feeling perfect to me right now. I don't want anything heavier or lighter, and sw between 315-320 is my target.

JackB1
06-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I hate to knock the Rad Pro because it could just be me, but out of all the racquets I've tried, and you know how many that is, the Rad Pro was probably one of my least favorite demos. I usually enjoy ALL rackets initially (honeymoon), even if its for a short time. And if not initially, after 10 to 15 minutes of hitting I will start to warm up to it. But that didn't happen with the IGRP. Granted I may just need some serious time to adjust and it may be wonderful. But I don't think it is for me. It feels heavy, board like, and sluggish. My 6.1 is more friendly and comfortable to me. Like I said, I've tried not to say much about it, becuase I really think it is just me and the racquet is probably great with the right player. I also tried the IG radMP yesterday and hit with them back to back. To me the MP was far better. Liked it alot and could see myself playing with it.

Yes, too light is not good, but the 11.1-11.4 range is feeling perfect to me right now. I don't want anything heavier or lighter, and sw between 315-320 is my target.

Yes the additional swingweight is very noticeable coming straight from racquets like the PD or Pro Open, but try the Rad Pro for 2 weeks and don't play with anything else during that time. That's the only way to truly evaluate it properly IMO.

Dgdavid
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Done two stints with IG Rad Pro and didn't like it. Oddly flexi for me and not easy to play with. Preferred both Prestiges. I might be on a different planet but the Rebel 98 played how I hoped the IGRP would play. I really wanted the P1 97 but talk of it being close to IGRP has put me off. Want a far more solid feeling than IGRP for that SW.

Power Player
06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Popping to say at this point I don't even think the racquet makes a huge difference at all. I pretty much decided on the rdis 200 due to the flex and the weight was where I like it, and I'm happy. Actually more than happy, as it is a very high quality stick.

Pretty much every racquet out now is awesome, so I think you just have to grab one and go.

Also, I have no idea how anyone could think the rad pro is heavy and board like compared to the 6.1. It doesn't even make sense because the Rad pro is super flexy and an ounce lighter than the 6.1. Don't try a yy 200, because you will hate it..lol. It takes 2 weeks or so to adjust to a racquet with flex when you are used to stiff ones. I don't see many people here giving racquets enough time to really learn them, which is fine, but these snap judgements are funny to read.

BC1
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Done two stints with IG Rad Pro and didn't like it. Oddly flexi for me and not easy to play with. Preferred both Prestiges. I might be on a different planet but the Rebel 98 played how I hoped the IGRP would play. I really wanted the P1 97 but talk of it being close to IGRP has put me off. Want a far more solid feeling than IGRP for that SW.

^^^^ Agree. Rebel 98 was far better imo, and I would go back to that in a heart beat over the rad pro and some other "player" sticks. The rebel 98 really may be what we are all looking for. lol. I know. We've been there, done that.

BC1
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Popping to say at this point I don't even think the racquet makes a huge difference at all. I pretty much decided on the rdis 200 due to the flex and the weight was where I like it, and I'm happy. Actually more than happy, as it is a very high quality stick.

Pretty much every racquet out now is awesome, so I think you just have to grab one and go.

Also, I have no idea how anyone could think the rad pro is heavy and board like compared to the 6.1. It doesn't even make sense because the Rad pro is super flexy and an ounce lighter than the 6.1. Don't try a yy 200, because you will hate it..lol. It takes 2 weeks or so to adjust to a racquet with flex when you are used to stiff ones. I don't see many people here giving racquets enough time to really learn them, which is fine, but these snap judgements are funny to read.

I understand. On paper there is no way. However, imo, it was not a comfortable racquet. Can't explain it. But I hit with it and the 6.1 within 15 minutes of each other. The 6.1 felt more solid, less "boardy"/stiff and had no vibration compared to the rad pro. I think I am just more comfortable with a semi stiff racquet. Something around the 66-68 stiffness range is ideal. Anything less somehow is less arm friendly to me. I'm just not use to so called "flexible" racquets. Ironically, they seem to bother my elbow too and you can feel the vibrations - something I'm not use to coming from a pd. And yes, I know that is insane as well - the pd being more arm friendly then a 62 flex racquet.

It may also have something to do with the strings - maybe poly is not a good mix with flex? don't know.

Yes, I agree with you, the racquet doesn't make a difference (well it makes some difference). Just finding one you want to "keep" day in and day out is the problem. I think weight and comfort are the key. I'm narrowing it down believe it or not.