PDA

View Full Version : Prince EXO3 Warrior 100 Review

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Dgdavid
06-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Well, I preferred Warrior to Rebel so it is these final choices over a return to the Warrior. Done nearly all of my choices in two stints now so feel more confident on closing in on final choices. 97 Tour would be an educated guess given my like of the other vcores.

PP, if any of us gave any reasonable stick long enough, we would probably get on very well with them. Sometimes you can like a racquet a lot but find something you prefer which does not mean anything was wrong with the old one e.g. You liked PD+ a lot but seemed to prefer the PDR. You liked PDR and 95D but arm issues moving you on. My reasons are different and unfortunately do include impulsiveness. The only racket so far I would definitely have stayed with is actually the POG OS but hurt my shoulder and elbow. Such a lovely solid feeling on impact.

RollTrackTake
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Popping to say at this point I don't even think the racquet makes a huge difference at all. I pretty much decided on the rdis 200 due to the flex and the weight was where I like it, and I'm happy. Actually more than happy, as it is a very high quality stick.

Pretty much every racquet out now is awesome, so I think you just have to grab one and go.

Also, I have no idea how anyone could think the rad pro is heavy and board like compared to the 6.1. It doesn't even make sense because the Rad pro is super flexy and an ounce lighter than the 6.1. Don't try a yy 200, because you will hate it..lol. It takes 2 weeks or so to adjust to a racquet with flex when you are used to stiff ones. I don't see many people here giving racquets enough time to really learn them, which is fine, but these snap judgements are funny to read.

+1. I think what you can take from reviews from our resident racquetaholics is what the first impressions of a racquet are like. 2 weeks is not nearly enough time to really 'know' a racquet imho. One can pick a racquet up and not like it immediately I understand that feeling. But PP is right on with most racquets today are very good and very little really separates them. given enough time a good player can make most racquets work for them. I was reading through the Mfil 300 thread the other day and the insight you get from players that have used a racquet for years is leaps and bounds better. with that said I am about to post my latest findings with my Pro 1 after playing with it for almost 9 months now.

Power Player
06-13-2012, 11:29 AM
ill be honest, I think it narrows down to boredom sometimes for everybody. To combat that I am playing in more leagues and putting myself in situations where I need familiarity with my gear.

Of course for me it has also boiled down to injury. I have switched sticks because they bugged my wrist or shoulder.

But I am not sure how flexier sticks vibrate more and bug your elbow..that is really odd and makes no sense. I feel way more vibrations in a 6.1 and a PD than a softer racquet. poly mixes great with flex..the majority of pros on tour uses a flex of 65 or less. Stiffer racquets are made so you can hit bigger and the racquet can be made lighter.

It just takes a little time to get used to a flexier stick and you have to figure out the best matchup for you. But the flexier sticks are incredible on returns. That is where they really shine.

Dgdavid
06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't normally have arm issues myself. POG was the quite severe but most other times have just been getting use to it (except APD which made my shoulder ache). Prestige, 6.1, PD etc were all fine.

I got a bit of twingyness with the V1 actually (elbow not shoulder) but not enough to warrant a passing comment as it was gone within an hour of playing. Only the POG gave me lasting discomfort into the next two days.

+1 on the boredom issue, I switch far less when I am playing a lot of matches. Sadly, just went out of our Club Tournament in the first round (I drew the #1 Seed) and went out in straights (6-3, 6-1) but I actually did better than that scoreline. He played with a Head Flexpoint 4! Now friendlies until July for next round of box matches.

BC1
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
But I am not sure how flexier sticks vibrate more and bug your elbow..that is really odd and makes no sense. I feel way more vibrations in a 6.1 and a PD than a softer racquet.

I disagree. I have the bad tendacy to hit at the top of the hoop. With every "flexy" racquet I've tried (Radicals, rebel 98, Prince tours, and some others), when hit at the top of the hoop, or outside the sweetspot, I get a vibration effect. With the pd or pro open or other "stiff" racquets you don't get those vibrations. I realize that the stiff racquet is probably doing some unknow damage to my arm that I don't notice, but they are so well "dampened" that you don't feel the vibrations - you might get a "jolt" due to the stiffness, but not vibrations. At least that has been my observations, right or wrong.

The switching has a lot to do with the excitement of trying out new sticks, and even though they may make very little difference in your performance, they ARE all different and do have some minute impact. But it comes down more to fun then anything else. However, you're rigfht, there is a time when you got to say enough is enough, and decide if you are into this just for the racquet shopping or to actually play the game.

Dgdavid
06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
+1. I think what you can take from reviews from our resident racquetaholics is what the first impressions of a racquet are like. 2 weeks is not nearly enough time to really 'know' a racquet imho. One can pick a racquet up and not like it immediately I understand that feeling. But PP is right on with most racquets today are very good and very little really separates them. given enough time a good player can make most racquets work for them. I was reading through the Mfil 300 thread the other day and the insight you get from players that have used a racquet for years is leaps and bounds better. with that said I am about to post my latest findings with my Pro 1 after playing with it for almost 9 months now.

Good points Roll but we wouldn't be racquetoholics if we could control it!!

Dgdavid
06-13-2012, 11:43 AM
BC1, we need to settle because in barely 5 months it's new racquet season again! Can't wait.

BC1
06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
BC1, we need to settle because in barely 5 months it's new racquet season again! Can't wait.

lol. Love that English sense of humor!

But you're right. An exciting, but scarry thought!

Power Player
06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I disagree. I have the bad tendacy to hit at the top of the hoop. With every "flexy" racquet I've tried (Radicals, rebel 98, Prince tours, and some others), when hit at the top of the hoop, or outside the sweetspot, I get a vibration effect. With the pd or pro open or other "stiff" racquets you don't get those vibrations. I realize that the stiff racquet is probably doing some unknow damage to my arm that I don't notice, but they are so well "dampened" that you don't feel the vibrations - you might get a "jolt" due to the stiffness, but not vibrations. At least that has been my observations, right or wrong.

The switching has a lot to do with the excitement of trying out new sticks, and even though they may make very little difference in your performance, they ARE all different and do have some minute impact. But it comes down more to fun then anything else. However, you're rigfht, there is a time when you got to say enough is enough, and decide if you are into this just for the racquet shopping or to actually play the game.

Yeah you are hitting outside of the sweetspot..that's going to happen. Has nothing to do with the flex. Ever miss the sweetspot on an aeroprodrive coretex? It sucks. A jolt is the same thing as vibrations anyway. You need to just get the basics down so you are hitting the sweetspot of the racquet as much as possible. I'd stick with the PD or Pro Open and just keep getting better.

to me fun = getting better at tennis and beating people who beat you in the past.

BC1
06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah you are hitting outside of the sweetspot..that's going to happen. Has nothing to do with the flex. Ever miss the sweetspot on an aeroprodrive coretex? It sucks. A jolt is the same thing as vibrations anyway. You need to just get the basics down so you are hitting the sweetspot of the racquet as much as possible. I'd stick with the PD or Pro Open and just keep getting better.

to me fun = getting better at tennis and beating people who beat you in the past.

Agreed. No argument with that logic.
And I was able to whoop-up on a guy yesterday using the pro open. And you're right, that win gave me more satisfaction then even demoing a new racquet.

RollTrackTake
06-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Good points Roll but we wouldn't be racquetoholics if we could control it!!

very true! and I wouldn't get to read about racquets that seem interesting to me but don't warrant a playtest in my mind. The V1 has some appeal as does the Rebel 98 and even more tempting the vcore 98D! but I'll continue to live vicariously through you racquet afficianados!

BC1
06-13-2012, 04:10 PM
very true! and I wouldn't get to read about racquets that seem interesting to me but don't warrant a playtest in my mind. The V1 has some appeal as does the Rebel 98 and even more tempting the vcore 98D! but I'll continue to live vicariously through you racquet afficianados!

Demoed the vcore98D. I could definitely be satisfied with this raquet. It seemed exceptionally well rounded. Nothing stood out as amazing but everything was very good. No weak points in my opinion. Different then the pro open or pd of course as you don't have that easy power. But it was still very forgiving and had decent power. Control and manueverability were excellent as well as comfort. Static weight and sw were perfect for me. I could see where a little more weight could be beneficial but not necessary. Very nice racquet. May have to get it! Liked the flex as well. Not too stiff not too flexy.

JackB1
06-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Demoed the vcore98D. I could definitely be satisfied with this raquet. It seemed exceptionally well rounded. Nothing stood out as amazing but everything was very good. No weak points in my opinion. Different then the pro open or pd of course as you don't have that easy power. But it was still very forgiving and had decent power. Control and manueverability were excellent as well as comfort. Static weight and sw were perfect for me. I could see where a little more weight could be beneficial but not necessary. Very nice racquet. May have to get it! Liked the flex as well. Not too stiff not too flexy.

I agree with your assessment of the VC98 100%.
The only thing that bugged me was the handle and the lack of flare on the butt end. I used some twisted up athletic tape to add a little flare under the grip. Also the stock Yonex grips are thin and very cheap. I replace those too.

BC1
06-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I agree with your assessment of the VC98 100%.
The only thing that bugged me was the handle and the lack of flare on the butt end. I used some twisted up athletic tape to add a little flare under the grip. Also the stock Yonex grips are thin and very cheap. I replace those too.

I agree about the grip. I like a big flare on the butt end, that is one reason I like Wilson racquets. So, do you still prefer the pro one or pd or rad pro over the 98D?

JackB1
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
I agree about the grip. I like a big flare on the butt end, that is one reason I like Wilson racquets. So, do you still prefer the pro one or pd or rad pro over the 98D?

I don't have a 98D in my bag anymore, but could happily use it as my main stick.

I currently am leaning slightly towards the Pro One, but just restrung the Rad Pro and need to try that some more. My serve with either of those is bigger than with the PD12 and that really caught my attention. I still haven't abandoned the PD, but would need to weight it up some if I go back to it. It just feels too light to me in stock form compared to the P1 or IGRP.

Dgdavid
06-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Think the 98D might be the one then BC1? I could easily settle on it too but I also liked the 95D a lot so a bit stuck especially with the 89 apparently being so sweet and playing like a 95 head (the 89 has retained the head width but been shortened).

BC1
06-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Think the 98D might be the one then BC1? I could easily settle on it too but I also liked the 95D a lot so a bit stuck especially with the 89 apparently being so sweet and playing like a 95 head (the 89 has retained the head width but been shortened).

You know how picky us racquetholics can be. I wish the 98d was a tad more powerful and slightly heavier in the hoop. I would imagine a little lead at 12, or 3 and 9 would fix both of those issues. And I'm sure the racquet is designed with slight customization in mind. So it could be the one. It is more of a players type racquet then what I had assumed I would end up with, but that is a good thing. I'm going to test a couple more first and then decide. You thought the 100s was too light correct?

Did you find the 95d to be a lot heavier? I can see why you would want a weight in between the two.

YesTennis
06-14-2012, 05:33 AM
I don't have a 98D in my bag anymore, but could happily use it as my main stick.

I currently am leaning slightly towards the Pro One, but just restrung the Rad Pro and need to try that some more. My serve with either of those is bigger than with the PD12 and that really caught my attention. I still haven't abandoned the PD, but would need to weight it up some if I go back to it. It just feels too light to me in stock form compared to the P1 or IGRP.

Jack- would be interested to hear what string set up you think works best with the Rad Pro after you've tried a few combos. The reviews state that is a relatively powerful racquet, and has a lot of flex. Wondering if you could go full bed multi(?too powerful), or tame the power with a full bed soft co-poly, or hybrid for the best of both worlds.

JackB1
06-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Jack- would be interested to hear what string set up you think works best with the Rad Pro after you've tried a few combos. The reviews state that is a relatively powerful racquet, and has a lot of flex. Wondering if you could go full bed multi(?too powerful), or tame the power with a full bed soft co-poly, or hybrid for the best of both worlds.

trying a multi/syngut combo now at 55/53.

Power Player
06-14-2012, 07:38 AM
the Rad Pro with full multi literally felt like nothing to me. No ball feel at all. It felt like a full poly type racquet.

YesTennis
06-14-2012, 07:48 AM
the Rad Pro with full multi literally felt like nothing to me. No ball feel at all. It felt like a full poly type racquet.

PP- What do you think would be the optimal string setup for the Rad Pro?

Power Player
06-14-2012, 08:09 AM
To me Tour bite, typhoon, Lux would probably be stellar.

gut/poly would probably be great too..it seems to work in about everything.

JackB1
06-14-2012, 08:19 AM

We'll see. The Nvy crosses may crisp it up some?

I wouldn't go full multi or full poly. Probably a copoly/Nvy hybrid would be best for me? Or copoly/Attack.

Remember PP and YT...everyone's tastes are different. I don't find the Rad Pro as "flexible" as some do, so it's not overly muted or mushy to me. The stiffness is in the low 60's, so it's not like a Rebel or something that needs a lot of crisping up. But I agree, a poly is needed somewhere in the mix, either in the mains or crosses.

BobFL
06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
We'll see. The Nvy crosses may crisp it up some?

I wouldn't go full multi or full poly. Probably a copoly/Nvy hybrid would be best for me? Or copoly/Attack.

Remember PP and YT...everyone's tastes are different. I don't find the Rad Pro as "flexible" as some do, so it's not overly muted or mushy to me. The stiffness is in the low 60's, so it's not like a Rebel or something that needs a lot of crisping up. But I agree, a poly is needed somewhere in the mix, either in the mains or crosses.

When you hit hard with a lot of torque, the frame flexes like crazy. Also, when you receive pacey serves it just bends and absorbs the power nicely.

JackB1
06-14-2012, 10:11 AM
When you hit hard with a lot of torque, the frame flexes like crazy. Also, when you receive pacey serves it just bends and absorbs the power nicely.

I only used it for about 1/2 hour so far and it had poly, so it didn't feel that flexy to me yet. I will play more tonite with it and pay attention to the flex.

Are you now using a Rad Pro Bob?

Power Player
06-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I don't really know if it is a matter of taste to describe the stick as flexy. It just is. I had the same impressions as Bob.

It's a very nice racquet. I just thought it felt a little too soft for me.

BC1
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I don't really know if it is a matter of taste to describe the stick as flexy. It just is. I had the same impressions as Bob.

It's a very nice racquet. I just thought it felt a little too soft for me.

power, you find the rdis 200s less "flexy" or less soft then the igrp. If so, that is good to me. I know the 200s are probably too much of a players racquet for me, but for the price they are very tempting. The regular and the lite version.

BobFL
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I only used it for about 1/2 hour so far and it had poly, so it didn't feel that flexy to me yet. I will play more tonite with it and pay attention to the flex.

Are you now using a Rad Pro Bob?

No no, two of my friends have it and I used it sporadically. Really, there is no better frame for receiving pacey serves. Period. However, when you face dinkers with floaty serves it gets really frustrating :)

One thing is very unique about this frame - combination of flex and power. Unbelievable combo. So much flex yet you can just compress the ball and create huge power (yep, high sw helps here a lot)

Power Player
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
The 200 is going to be a little out of your league for a bit. I will put it like this, I would not be using this stick as well until I really got my groundstroke technque dialed. And I also would like to have more in stock so I can buy a few more to be honest. If you are going to buy one, commit to it pleeeeese...lol. I really am using these as my main racquets so I am hoping to get a few more in the next few weeks.

But in all honesty, the Rad Pro to me is more powerful, and the 200 is more for controlled power hitters. If you grew up playing tennis and watching Agassi, and were from the first gen of topspin hitters as a kid like me, this stick is perfect. It plays a like a classic stick that gets modern spin and racquet speed. The Rad pro is made with more modern specs and is easier to use. If you think the Rad Pro is hard to use, then the RDIS200 will not be your friend.

Plus didn't you just make some club for sticks under 11.6? lol.

I have no experience with the lite version. Could be worth a shot..but i think these sticks are meant to be a little heavier to be really effective.

Bob, I agree with you..on serve returns, flexy sticks are the best. I actually like mine on the no pace serves as well because I can tee off on them and hit winners on the return off my forehand side.

Dgdavid
06-14-2012, 11:04 AM
You know how picky us racquetholics can be. I wish the 98d was a tad more powerful and slightly heavier in the hoop. I would imagine a little lead at 12, or 3 and 9 would fix both of those issues. And I'm sure the racquet is designed with slight customization in mind. So it could be the one. It is more of a players type racquet then what I had assumed I would end up with, but that is a good thing. I'm going to test a couple more first and then decide. You thought the 100s was too light correct?

Did you find the 95d to be a lot heavier? I can see why you would want a weight in between the two.

The 100S wasn't too light, in fact I found it fairly solid (definitely not "flimsy" as Sean Hemmer mentioned but given how hard he clumps the ball, it might be for him). I liked the 100S but preferred the other two.

I personally would pick the 95D over the 98D. The 95 is the most forgiving and largest sweetspot of any 95 I've used by some distance and the weight can be adjusted to pretty quick although it feels heavy straight after the 98D (but much more manageable the my Prestige Pro for instance). The 95 rackets I've tried are the 6.1 BLXs, Dunlop 200s, the Prestige "98s", tfight 320. I found the 95 gave me the lazy option of using the racket mass to push the ball back deep and my natural rallying stroke was deeper. It is pretty powerful for a players stick.

Since my last post, I have put all the rackets I have owned into a list and the top two I liked for different reasons were the Warrior 100 (great rallying and defense) and the Prestige MidPlus (great on front foot attack). Funny enough, wanted easier flatter shots on the Warrior and easier spin shots on the Prestige!! Anyway, I have decided to plump for a racket I liked that feels like it sits in the middle, have hit before and think will now suit how I have developed since I last tried it. The racket i've picked is the IG Speed MP 18x20. Having thought long and hard, I am going to give it 4 weeks as my only stick to bed it in and wait for reviews on the vcore 89 and 97 Tour 310g. If it doesn't work out, I will bite the bullet and re-buy the Warriors.

Many weeks ago, PP said something along the lines of "pick the racket you rally with the best and go from there". I used to be embarrassed that consistency was my biggest asset but now I want it back!

Power Player
06-14-2012, 11:10 AM
The IG speeds are pretty sweet racquets. I liked the feel of them a lot. Used one when I was in Miami and hitting balls at the Ericsson.

I think consistency is a great asset. It allows you to setup a better winner.

JackB1
06-14-2012, 12:48 PM
No no, two of my friends have it and I used it sporadically. Really, there is no better frame for receiving pacey serves. Period. However, when you face dinkers with floaty serves it gets really frustrating :)

One thing is very unique about this frame - combination of flex and power. Unbelievable combo. So much flex yet you can just compress the ball and create huge power (yep, high sw helps here a lot)

You are right....flex and power aren't usually found on the same racquet. The London was another example of this.

SantiagoMVC
06-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Hey guys, how do you compare the Warrior 100 with the Blx Pro open, I'm interested in both but I can't test them !

JackB1
06-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Hey guys, how do you compare the Warrior 100 with the Blx Pro open, I'm interested in both but I can't test them !

Pretty similar. Pro Open less power and a little lighter through the air.. Warrior more of a baseliners stick, while the Pro Open is a little more well rounded and would be better for an all court type game, although the Warrior really does everything well too. Both are excellent choices. I would say if you prefer a crisper feel with more control, go Pro Open. More muted feel with more power...go Warrior.

BC1
06-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Pretty similar. Pro Open less power and a little lighter through the air.. Warrior more of a baseliners stick, while the Pro Open is a little more well rounded and would be better for an all court type game, although the Warrior really does everything well too. Both are excellent choices. I would say if you prefer a crisper feel with more control, go Pro Open. More muted feel with more power...go Warrior.

^^^ 100% agree. Very accurate comparison!

BC1
06-15-2012, 08:45 AM
The 100S wasn't too light, in fact I found it fairly solid (definitely not "flimsy" as Sean Hemmer mentioned but given how hard he clumps the ball, it might be for him). I liked the 100S but preferred the other two.

I personally would pick the 95D over the 98D. The 95 is the most forgiving and largest sweetspot of any 95 I've used by some distance and the weight can be adjusted to pretty quick although it feels heavy straight after the 98D (but much more manageable the my Prestige Pro for instance). The 95 rackets I've tried are the 6.1 BLXs, Dunlop 200s, the Prestige "98s", tfight 320. I found the 95 gave me the lazy option of using the racket mass to push the ball back deep and my natural rallying stroke was deeper. It is pretty powerful for a players stick.

Since my last post, I have put all the rackets I have owned into a list and the top two I liked for different reasons were the Warrior 100 (great rallying and defense) and the Prestige MidPlus (great on front foot attack). Funny enough, wanted easier flatter shots on the Warrior and easier spin shots on the Prestige!! Anyway, I have decided to plump for a racket I liked that feels like it sits in the middle, have hit before and think will now suit how I have developed since I last tried it. The racket i've picked is the IG Speed MP 18x20. Having thought long and hard, I am going to give it 4 weeks as my only stick to bed it in and wait for reviews on the vcore 89 and 97 Tour 310g. If it doesn't work out, I will bite the bullet and re-buy the Warriors.

Many weeks ago, PP said something along the lines of "pick the racket you rally with the best and go from there". I used to be embarrassed that consistency was my biggest asset but now I want it back!

DgDavid, Looks like your racketholism had a purpose. Good to hear it lead you to what seems like a rational decision. :). I'm hoping to be there soon as well. If I were to pick the most "rational" racquet for me right now it would probably be the 98D as it has a little of everything and I think it would help me (force me) to develop my strokes a little better then the PD or Pro Open. However, it's so hard to seperate yourself from that FREE power of the power tweeners. I've never tried the Speed 18x20. It's interesting to see that you went with that as you were keeping that one a secret from us (at least I don't remember seeing any posts on that one). Keep us posted. I agree with you though on the Warrior. You, Jack and I may have saved ourselves three months of demos and lots of $$ if we would have just stayed with that,. lol.

I would like to know your opinions on the Speed 18x20. Besides consistency, how is the power? I know control is good, and the weight and sw are perfect (on paper).

JackB1
06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
What I have learned is that when you find a stick that works and you are comfortable with, you should just stop and play with that. When you try other sticks it makes you question what you were originally happy with. Case in point....I was 100% happy with the PD12 until I tried the Donnay Pro One. Now when I go back to the PD it doesn't feel as good to me and I miss the extra swingweight and plow of the P1. So again I am stuck in "racquet limbo hell". Now I am wondering if I should switch to the Pro 1 and ditch the PD's. It's starting to bug me.

BC1
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Jack, I think we can all realate and fully understand. You are 100% correct. Too many options, too many demos, and too much time on this site is not good. Makes being content next to impossible.

Faithfulfather
06-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Jack, I think we can all realate and fully understand. You are 100% correct. Too many options, too many demos, and too much time on this site is not good. Makes being content next to impossible.

Agree 100%. I refuse to buy anymore racquets.

Dgdavid
06-16-2012, 02:37 AM
DgDavid, Looks like your racketholism had a purpose. Good to hear it lead you to what seems like a rational decision. :). I'm hoping to be there soon as well. If I were to pick the most "rational" racquet for me right now it would probably be the 98D as it has a little of everything and I think it would help me (force me) to develop my strokes a little better then the PD or Pro Open. However, it's so hard to seperate yourself from that FREE power of the power tweeners. I've never tried the Speed 18x20. It's interesting to see that you went with that as you were keeping that one a secret from us (at least I don't remember seeing any posts on that one). Keep us posted. I agree with you though on the Warrior. You, Jack and I may have saved ourselves three months of demos and lots of $$ if we would have just stayed with that,. lol.

I would like to know your opinions on the Speed 18x20. Besides consistency, how is the power? I know control is good, and the weight and sw are perfect (on paper).

Hi BC,

I actually had the 18x20 and 16x19 version as my first rackets (bought together) when I started out on my journey from the APD GT. The APD GT was my main racket for quite some time. I really liked the 18x20 (hated the 16x19) but getting used to the 18x20 straight after the APD was a challenge especially as the player I got them off (a playing Pro but not a celebrated one!) had them strung ridiculously tight with a poly. When I went to get them restrung, I was given a demo of the IG Speed 300 which suited my game at the time and I switched and stayed with it up to the end of 2011. However, having been through lots of specs, it seems that some of the qualities the 18x20 would now fit like a glove. That said, on paper, the Warrior did not fit my requirement as it evolved but I really liked it so we shall see.

Playing twice with the Speed this weekend and will report back. Have done circa 300 serves with it from a basket and that was very nice on flat and TS.
The free power from Tweeners is nice at times but I find that when under pressure, I prefer a lower powered racket.

BC1
06-16-2012, 07:19 AM
^^^^ dgdavid, wish you well with the speed. I look forward to the results of the weekend. Just curious, what is your preferred string set up with the 18x20? I tried the 300 with poly but think the 18x20 may be better with multi. Is the Speed 315 1820 more powerful then the 300?

Dgdavid
06-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi BC,

I think the 300 is in theory more powerful but it lacks a bit of mass so it doesn't play more powerful for me.

I have played 15 sets this weekend with the IG Speed 315 MP 18x20 (10 doubles, 5 singles). It is definitely a nice racket - I feel accurate with it, it is excellent defensively on the stretch (both sides), I serve well with it etc.

Whereas it is certainly not low powered on the sweetspot, there is a very noticeable and dramatic drop in power off the sweetspot (even just off it). The sweetspot is also pretty small for a 100 sq inch. However, my racket is strung with stock Sonic Pro at mid-tension and it could have been on the rack ages before I bought it. I think a multifilament at mid or just under mid will open it up a lot more.

All in all, it is nice and I can feel myself adjusting to it already. Going to get it restrung tomorrow. It hasn't yet taken my mind off the possible candidates in the (return to) the Warrior 100/Team, Vcore 97 310g or Vcore 89 but I am sticking with the Speed for a while to see how it goes. Happy so far, no regrets.

ps. it became even more apparent today as I played with new people at the club that virtually all of the very top players at our club play with rackets that could be classed as tweeners (certainly 100 sq inch at least) whereas it is in the middle to upper third where you see the more demanding rackets like the BLX 90s and co. The only 'expert' racket used by any of the top players is one guy with a POG Mid (the 90).

JackB1
06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi BC,

I think the 300 is in theory more powerful but it lacks a bit of mass so it doesn't play more powerful for me.

I have played 15 sets this weekend with the IG Speed 315 MP 18x20 (10 doubles, 5 singles). It is definitely a nice racket - I feel accurate with it, it is excellent defensively on the stretch (both sides), I serve well with it etc.

Whereas it is certainly not low powered on the sweetspot, there is a very noticeable and dramatic drop in power off the sweetspot (even just off it). The sweetspot is also pretty small for a 100 sq inch. However, my racket is strung with stock Sonic Pro at mid-tension and it could have been on the rack ages before I bought it. I think a multifilament at mid or just under mid will open it up a lot more.

All in all, it is nice and I can feel myself adjusting to it already. Going to get it restrung tomorrow. It hasn't yet taken my mind off the possible candidates in the (return to) the Warrior 100/Team, Vcore 97 310g or Vcore 89 but I am sticking with the Speed for a while to see how it goes. Happy so far, no regrets.

ps. it became even more apparent today as I played with new people at the club that virtually all of the very top players at our club play with rackets that could be classed as tweeners (certainly 100 sq inch at least) whereas it is in the middle to upper third where you see the more demanding rackets like the BLX 90s and co. The only 'expert' racket used by any of the top players is one guy with a POG Mid (the 90).

Agree that most club players do not use demanding racquets. My doubles teams is made up mostly of 4.0 and a few 4.5's and they use racquets like Prince Red, Juice 107, Prince Silver, a few APDs and PD's. I think the only 3.5-4.0s that use players racquets are mostly us TW forum diehards :-)

David...I used the Speed 16x19 for a while and really liked it. The power was a little low, but I strung it low with multi or Nat gut and it was sufficient power. Just heavy enough for decent plow, without being too heavy. Swingweight was perfect for me.

RollTrackTake
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Happy to say the Warrior has earned a place in my bag. The Formula 100 & Pro Opens go up for sale. Right next to my two Pro 1's the Warrior will be a nice complement for doubles, casual matches, even singles league play if I'm feeling drained. The overall performance and comfort is hard to beat. The other tweeners did not offer the same balance of comfort, power and feel that I prefer. Took me over 3 months and a bunch of string jobs to finally decide. Iontec Black mains/sweet 16 crosses 55/60 is a fantastic combo for me. Prince does a nice job. Hope they can come back from the dead!

JackB1
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Happy to say the Warrior has earned a place in my bag. The Formula 100 & Pro Opens go up for sale. Right next to my two Pro 1's the Warrior will be a nice complement for doubles, casual matches, even singles league play if I'm feeling drained. The overall performance and comfort is hard to beat. The other tweeners did not offer the same balance of comfort, power and feel that I prefer. Took me over 3 months and a bunch of string jobs to finally decide. Iontec Black mains/sweet 16 crosses 55/60 is a fantastic combo for me. Prince does a nice job. Hope they can come back from the dead!

excellent choice! The Warrior is just a solid choice that has no real weaknesses.
If my Pure Drive starting giving me arm issues, I would have no problems going back to the Warrior. You may have some issues going back and forth from the Pro 1 to the Warrior though...the Pro One is noticeably heavier.

BC1
06-20-2012, 09:02 AM
David and Jack,
Yes, I would definitely agree with your observations on "club player" racquets. In addition, most don't seem to have any idea of what stings are in their racquets nor do they care. I talk with the stringer at the club where I play as well as the stringers at another local tennis shop, and they both confirm that 75% of the people just give them their racquets or buy a new one, and say "just string it with whatever it came with or whatever you think". IGNORANCE IS BLISS. And most likely their game doesn't suffer from it. We beat ourselves up over this stuff for no reason. Anyway, point being, I guess it doesn't matter what we use. But we already know that. It looks like I am sticking to my tweener roots. Switching off between the apdgt, pd2012, and pro open. They are all equally good in their own way. I need to somehow pick one and then start obsessing uneccessarily over strings. :)

fwiw - I wish I still had the warrior in my bag to make my decision even harder.

RollTrackTake
06-21-2012, 08:34 AM
excellent choice! The Warrior is just a solid choice that has no real weaknesses.
If my Pure Drive starting giving me arm issues, I would have no problems going back to the Warrior. You may have some issues going back and forth from the Pro 1 to the Warrior though...the Pro One is noticeably heavier.

I'm quite familiar with the Pro 1 so I can adjust for the weight. The Warrior's SW of 319 (mine feels heavier!) Is closest to the Pro 1's mid 320's SW. Whereas the regular PD 2012, Pro Open have much lower SW. I just love the feel of the Warrior. Which is funny because many people dog it for lack of feel. Again I guess it depends on what kind of feel you like.

Dgdavid
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi all. Anyone still using the Warrior as their long term main racket?

BC1
07-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi all. Anyone still using the Warrior as their long term main racket?

So the warrior is back on your mind!? Mine too. Came real close to making a trade for one the other day.

JackB1
07-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I miss my Warriors :-)

Great all around racquet that will take you wherever you need to go.
Its like the Swiss army knife of racquets.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I miss my Warriors :-)

Great all around racquet that will take you wherever you need to go.
Its like the Swiss army knife of racquets.

I know several of you demoed the Dunlop Bio 500 Tour.......I tried to read back through the thread but cannot seem to find it. Anyway, what were your thoughts on it???

Dgdavid
07-05-2012, 11:44 PM
The shop I am going to for my 3rd Exo3 Graphite (strung with Beast/Attack!) has Warriors at 90 (cheap for UK, my first ones with 152). Thinking about it!

Dill, 500 Tour is good and was on my retest list if I hadn't found the Graphites. Probably nice quite as forgiving as the Warrior but has what can be described as more "players" racket qualities - or at least, that seemed to be the consensus. Also, general view was to ensure you demo it with a Poly.

ps. I watched a video from a knowledgeable guy reading his own autocue (content good, charisma less so!) who made the very good points that no racket will be perfect for all strokes so all things being equal, choose a racket that improves your results against regular partners and has a positive impact on your SECOND serve. He claims to have sold tens of thousands of rackets in his shop and this is view after all those.

Andreas1965
07-06-2012, 01:45 AM
I know several of you demoed the Dunlop Bio 500 Tour.......I tried to read back through the thread but cannot seem to find it. Anyway, what were your thoughts on it???

I demoed the 500 Tour for the last few days. In search of a racquet with lesser static weight and more power than my POG I tested the Prince Exo3 Black, the Yonex RDiS300 and the Dunlop.

The Yonex could have been my fav, but something was missing. I could hit a decent FH and some ugly BH slice with it, but the serve didn't work. Put away shots were tough.
The Prince was ok on serve and FH, but zero feel. Lay it away after less than 2 hours of demo time.

500 Tour... guess I must buy three of them and make it my next racquet. For a thick beam racquet unbelievable good feel, easy power and good control.
Spin production was effortless. Hit some of my best FHs with it. Best of all was the serve... my hitting partner really complained about the kick serves.
I strung my demo racquet with Silverstring 1,20 at 26/25 kg.
The paint job is awesome and QC seems to be good, the demo was exactly like the specs say.

The Bio 500 Tour should be on your demo list, if you're looking for something with power and feel.

BC1
07-06-2012, 08:53 AM
The shop I am going to for my 3rd Exo3 Graphite (strung with Beast/Attack!) has Warriors at 90 (cheap for UK, my first ones with 152). Thinking about it!

Dill, 500 Tour is good and was on my retest list if I hadn't found the Graphites. Probably nice quite as forgiving as the Warrior but has what can be described as more "players" racket qualities - or at least, that seemed to be the consensus. Also, general view was to ensure you demo it with a Poly.

ps. I watched a video from a knowledgeable guy reading his own autocue (content good, charisma less so!) who made the very good points that no racket will be perfect for all strokes so all things being equal, choose a racket that improves your results against regular partners and has a positive impact on your SECOND serve. He claims to have sold tens of thousands of rackets in his shop and this is view after all those.

dgdavid, great advice above. With that in mind, I just went out and got the Warrior 100 and Rebel 98 demos (however these were both mine at one time before I traded them months ago at the local shop). Crazy - all of these racquets, and all of this time, and I'm right back where I started from. Looking forward to bonding with them again and see if they are as good as I remember. I really can't even remember what I didn't like about the Warrior. With the Rebel 98 I know I didn't like the dead area at the top of the hoop and the flex and vibration you got from hitting outside the sweetspot, but beyond that it was perfect.

Anyway.... Jack and DgDavid maybe we need to join the WARRIOR gang again!! Jack If I remember correctly you are (or at least were) the gang leader so I'm assuming we can get back in.

JackB1
07-06-2012, 09:57 AM
dgdavid, great advice above. With that in mind, I just went out and got the Warrior 100 and Rebel 98 demos (however these were both mine at one time before I traded them months ago at the local shop). Crazy - all of these racquets, and all of this time, and I'm right back where I started from. Looking forward to bonding with them again and see if they are as good as I remember. I really can't even remember what I didn't like about the Warrior. With the Rebel 98 I know I didn't like the dead area at the top of the hoop and the flex and vibration you got from hitting outside the sweetspot, but beyond that it was perfect.

Anyway.... Jack and DgDavid maybe we need to join the WARRIOR gang again!! Jack If I remember correctly you are (or at least were) the gang leader so I'm assuming we can get back in.

I'm pretty happy with my PDRs at the moment! ;-)

BC1
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty happy with my PDRs at the moment! ;-)

Ok. That's good. Not trying to tempt you away from a good thing.
How is the weight of the PDR working out for you? Pretty good I take it.

JackB1
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Ok. That's good. Not trying to tempt you away from a good thing.
How is the weight of the PDR working out for you? Pretty good I take it.

340 grams is perfect for me in the PDR. Heavy enough for some good plow, but not too heavy to tire me out late in long matches.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Jack & BC, give me your take on the Dunlop Bio 500 Tour........

JackB1
07-06-2012, 02:53 PM

tried it briefly and didn't care for the ball feel off the string bed.

however...I really like the 4D 500 Tour (prev model)

BC1
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Its been a year since I played with it so I'm not so sure anymore, but I remember liking it. Personally I'm convinced that all racquets in this category are more or less the same and it all boils down to personal preference on feel and flex. Pd, apd, pro open, 500 tour, warrior, extreme, etc. If you can play with one you can play just as well with any of them.

However I do remember that the 500t was comfortable had decent power and spin and felt more like a players racquet then other tweeners. Cant remember the negatives but I'm sure there are some. I need to play with it again. Maybe the stability was lower then some others. And as jack pointed out the stringbed was very open and maybe a little inconsistent. Some dont like the dunlop head shape either. Very oval. I do like that.

DILLPICKLE TENNIS
07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Its been a year since I played with it so I'm not so sure anymore, but I remember liking it. Personally I'm convinced that all racquets in this category are more or less the same and it all boils down to personal preference on feel and flex. Pd, apd, pro open, 500 tour, warrior, extreme, etc. If you can play with one you can play just as well with any of them.

However I do remember that the 500t was comfortable had decent power and spin and felt more like a players racquet then other tweeners. Cant remember the negatives but I'm sure there are some. I need to play with it again. Maybe the stability was lower then some others. And as jack pointed out the stringbed was very open and maybe a little inconsistent. Some dont like the dunlop head shape either. Very oval. I do like that.

Thanks Dg, Andreas, BC, and Jack......it's always good to hear the various views beforehand. I have borrowed one to hit with tomorrow and this gives me a little insight.

BC1
07-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Thanks Dg, Andreas, BC, and Jack......it's always good to hear the various views beforehand. I have borrowed one to hit with tomorrow and this gives me a little insight.

Be sure to give us your impressions. Oneithef thing, I found the racquet string sensitive. It came with dunlop silk and I didn't like it at all, I almost didn't give the racquet a chance. Restrung it with rpm blast and loved it. It felt and played like a different racquet. More power and more control.

Andreas1965
07-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Be sure to give us your impressions. Oneithef thing, I found the racquet string sensitive. It came with dunlop silk and I didn't like it at all, I almost didn't give the racquet a chance. Restrung it with rpm blast and loved it. It felt and played like a different racquet. More power and more control.

Correct. I tried Yonex Polytour Pro 1,30 and it was just... ok. The I strung it with MSV Focus Hex 1,18 at 26/26 kg and I was very impressed!

SantiagoMVC
07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
hey, how would you compare the Warrior 100 with the O3 white and the Speedport pro White ?

JackB1
07-14-2012, 11:35 AM
hey, how would you compare the Warrior 100 with the O3 white and the Speedport pro White ?

very similar. I think the WArrior is more well rounded and the White is more power oriented. Also the weight and balances are slightly different, but they still are in the same ballpark.

Dgdavid
07-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Just out of interest, did any Warrior 100 or Warrior Team users try or use the Exo3 Red 105 (2011)? 105 sq inch, weighted between the Team and 100 version.

CaptinStiff
07-22-2012, 10:31 PM
I moved down from playing with the older O3 Red to the Warrior, but haven't tried the 2011 version. The O3 Red was a totally awesome serving stick for me (the best I've ever hit with), but beyond that I wanted something heaver with a notch down in power to help me keep the ball in play easier. So far so good for me.

Dgdavid
07-23-2012, 01:02 AM
I moved down from playing with the older O3 Red to the Warrior, but haven't tried the 2011 version. The O3 Red was a totally awesome serving stick for me (the best I've ever hit with), but beyond that I wanted something heaver with a notch down in power to help me keep the ball in play easier. So far so good for me.

Thanks Captin.

tennismastermine
08-09-2012, 05:37 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=433124

JackB1
09-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Well guys, I am seriously considering a return to the Warrior :-)

just to recap...I was perfectly happy with the Warrior, but due to others influences, dropped it for the similar PD12. I liked the PD12 but found it too stiff to use anything but full multi. I then tried the PDR on a whim and liked the extra mass and plow that it gave, but it still had the same stiffness issue which limits string choices. I then went to my current Organix 8-315 since it is like an arm friendly PDR. I initially liked it a lot, but lately have struggled with control. I think I played best with the Warrior and am seriously thinking about going back to it, since I never really had a reason to drop it. This time I will try adding some lead tape to increase the plow and stability, since I and more used to heavier sticks like the PDR and X8 315. I think my magic weight is around 335 grams.

I really want to "settle down" with a good choice for the fall season (thru Nov) and want to feel good about my choice. I am considering the Warrior or the new Extreme 2.0 MP or the new Dunlop 3.0. I am also dabbling with the Dunlop 600 Tour, which is another fine and very overlooked gem for 3.5 to 4.0s.

El Diablo
09-04-2012, 09:13 AM
nobody wants to hear nonsense that you want to "settle down." Did Twitter do this to you??

RollTrackTake
09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Well guys, I am seriously considering a return to the Warrior :-)

just to recap...I was perfectly happy with the Warrior, but due to others influences, dropped it for the similar PD12. I liked the PD12 but found it too stiff to use anything but full multi. I then tried the PDR on a whim and liked the extra mass and plow that it gave, but it still had the same stiffness issue which limits string choices. I then went to my current Organix 8-315 since it is like an arm friendly PDR. I initially liked it a lot, but lately have struggled with control. I think I played best with the Warrior and am seriously thinking about going back to it, since I never really had a reason to drop it. This time I will try adding some lead tape to increase the plow and stability, since I and more used to heavier sticks like the PDR and X8 315. I think my magic weight is around 335 grams.

I really want to "settle down" with a good choice for the fall season (thru Nov) and want to feel good about my choice. I am considering the Warrior or the new Extreme 2.0 MP or the new Dunlop 3.0. I am also dabbling with the Dunlop 600 Tour, which is another fine and very overlooked gem for 3.5 to 4.0s.

you should call the Warrior 'old reliable'. With fall season starting in a few weeks I too have to make a racquet decision. it was a tough summer for me and the Pro 1. The crazy heat made it feel heavier than it had during the winter. I've been hitting the weights to see if that helps. but the warrior sits in my closet waiting for its opportunity....along with a few others (APDGT, Prestige S, BB London & Bio Max 200). are the new Dunlops available to demo?

JackB1
09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
you should call the Warrior 'old reliable'. With fall season starting in a few weeks I too have to make a racquet decision. it was a tough summer for me and the Pro 1. The crazy heat made it feel heavier than it had during the winter. I've been hitting the weights to see if that helps. but the warrior sits in my closet waiting for its opportunity....along with a few others (APDGT, Prestige S, BB London & Bio Max 200). are the new Dunlops available to demo?

The Pro 1 for me was hard to "whip" when needed for sitters, etc.

I think you should pick either the APD or the Warrior. The others are too "risky". The Prestige S IMO is horrible. Had no pop and a small sweetspot.. The London is a "niche" racquet and the Bio Max is sort of too. The APD or the Warrior will not hurt you at all.

JackB1
09-04-2012, 10:17 AM
nobody wants to hear nonsense that you want to "settle down." Did Twitter do this to you??

lol. I do "try" a lot of racquets, but I always stick with just one for the season leagues.

RollTrackTake
09-04-2012, 05:52 PM
The Pro 1 for me was hard to "whip" when needed for sitters, etc.

I think you should pick either the APD or the Warrior. The others are too "risky". The Prestige S IMO is horrible. Had no pop and a small sweetspot.. The London is a "niche" racquet and the Bio Max is sort of too. The APD or the Warrior will not hurt you at all.

I agree that the Pro 1 is not a racquet I can whip very easily. I'm so used to the weight and feel of it it's been hard to play with the others. But I did pick up the APD & the London a lot this summer and they both proved to be easier to play with for 3 hours in 90+ degree weather. the hybrid Iontec black/prince syn gut did not hold up well in my warrior. whereas a full bed of N. VY played great in the APD as did a full bed of Klip syn gut in the London. I know you enjoyed a hybrid (PPA mains IIRC?) in your Warrior. did you ever try a full bed of syn gut or multi with any success in it?

JackB1
09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I agree that the Pro 1 is not a racquet I can whip very easily. I'm so used to the weight and feel of it it's been hard to play with the others. But I did pick up the APD & the London a lot this summer and they both proved to be easier to play with for 3 hours in 90+ degree weather. the hybrid Iontec black/prince syn gut did not hold up well in my warrior. whereas a full bed of N. VY played great in the APD as did a full bed of Klip syn gut in the London. I know you enjoyed a hybrid (PPA mains IIRC?) in your Warrior. did you ever try a full bed of syn gut or multi with any success in it?

No I only used a hybrid of Beast / Attack. It worked so well, I never tried any other combo.

Dgdavid
09-07-2012, 06:06 AM
did you go back to the Warrior then Jack?
it is never far from my thoughts either.

JackB1
09-07-2012, 09:58 AM
did you go back to the Warrior then Jack?
it is never far from my thoughts either.

Not yet...still trying to repurchase one at a decent price.

if anyone has a 1/2 to sell, let me know :-)

Fed Kennedy
09-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Does the warrior have the option to put in grommet type inserts instead of port holes?

YesTennis
09-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Jack- I know that you were playing with the Pure Drive Roddick for a while ago. Any thoughts on that racquet compared to the Warrior?

SonRK
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Just picked this up for a demo after using Prince Speedport Tour (String Hole Inserts) since it came out. My Speedport Tour has a leather grip and I've been using nat gut mains / poly crosses on it.

I find it (Speedport Tour) a tad heavy but I love how it feels. No arm discomfort at all, and feels very crisp.

So I tried out the Warrior 100 today and found myself serving huge bombs and being able to crank out the MPH on the forehand. I was mishitting a bit, because the swingweights on both racquets are very different so Ill gave it another whirl tomorrow. I love how easy it is to get depth and how comfortable the racquet is. I wish I could try some real strings on it other than the Demo's dureflexes. Might have to extend my demo period and put on some decent multis for a real playtest :P

JackB1
09-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Does the warrior have the option to put in grommet type inserts instead of port holes?

not sure, but most Prince racquets have that option. Contact Prince and they will tell you for sure.

JackB1
09-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Jack- I know that you were playing with the Pure Drive Roddick for a while ago. Any thoughts on that racquet compared to the Warrior?

they are in different weight classes. The Warrior is 11 oz and the PDR is close to 12 oz. The Warrior compares more closely with the regular Pure Drive. They both have similar power. The Prince has a softer and more muted feel. The PD feels stiffer and crisper. I thought the Warrior was a little easier to play with...bigger sweetspot and not as jarring on mishits.

Rabbit
09-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, I just demoed one today and took the plunge. The Warrior is much less demanding, as JackB1 said, and it more solid. It is very comfortable. I hit with one strung with some Black/White poly, one with the Beast, and I strung one up with Syngut.

I really like this frame and have found nothing it doesn't do well.

JackB1
09-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Well, I just demoed one today and took the plunge. The Warrior is much less demanding, as JackB1 said, and it more solid. It is very comfortable. I hit with one strung with some Black/White poly, one with the Beast, and I strung one up with Syngut.

I agree that I couldn't really find fault with this frame. I wish I had stayed with it, but ventured into Pure Drive land.

Rabbit
09-15-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree that I couldn't really find fault with this frame. I wish I had stayed with it, but ventured into Pure Drive land.

I'm glad I broke one of my Tours now. :)

SantiagoMVC
09-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Someone have played with the Bio 500T or the Instinct who can compare them to the warrior ?

mary fierce
09-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Didn't understand Jackb1's post. Considering he changes racquets at the rate most of us change socks, why would he not go back to the thing if he regretted giving it up??

JackB1
09-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Didn't understand Jackb1's post. Considering he changes racquets at the rate most of us change socks, why would he not go back to the thing if he regretted giving it up??

because I can't find one at a decent price. I am still looking.
I use 4 1/2 which isn't always easy to find. Also, I have been
pretty happy with the Donnay Formula 100 lately and want to stay
with one stick for the time being to get some consistency. It is
pretty similar to the Warrior.

mary fierce
09-17-2012, 09:06 AM
a decent price!!! Given all the racquet buying and selling you appear to do, it's stunning to hear you quibble about price. People concerned about thrift tend to stick with a racquet for some time.

JackB1
09-17-2012, 11:10 AM
a decent price!!! Given all the racquet buying and selling you appear to do, it's stunning to hear you quibble about price. People concerned about thrift tend to stick with a racquet for some time.

I use $ from selling racquets to buy them. I never spend extra $ on racquets.
Its weird that you would make such a generalization about someone's "thriftyness" without knowing much about them. You have no clue. I actually do a lot of buying low/selling high on Flea Bay, which ends up paying for all my tennis gear. I am far from rich, but I am smart about it.

smirker
09-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Rabbit, what steered you away from the EXO Tour Team you liked so much? The Warrior gets a distinctly average TW review. Is it in fact better than it sounds or is it just that it has no stand-out attributes but does most things well? Interested in the softer, more muted PD comment.

JackB1
09-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Rabbit, what steered you away from the EXO Tour Team you liked so much? The Warrior gets a distinctly average TW review. Is it in fact better than it sounds or is it just that it has no stand-out attributes but does most things well? Interested in the softer, more muted PD comment.

Racquets are all about matching the player with the correct racquet. 2 of those playtesters on the Warrior review were not a good match from the start. One of them liked it so much he switched to it and the other liked it a lot. Some of those TW reviews are skewed because they don't use the right playtesters for the particular racquet they are reviewing.

smirker
09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Racquets are all about matching the player with the correct racquet. 2 of those playtesters on the Warrior review were not a good match from the start. One of them liked it so much he switched to it and the other liked it a lot. Some of those TW reviews are skewed because they don't use the right playtesters for the particular racquet they are reviewing.

Good point Jack. Chris for example hated it but he tends to gravitate towards players frames which the warrior is not. Will take another look at the review.

Dgdavid
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
i think Mike has since switched to the 6.1 95 TEAM. Interesting!
How's the F100 Jack? Sig change must mean you like it.

Rabbit
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Basically, hitting with the Warrior, it had more power and was better off the ground, serves, and volleys for me. It came out after the Tour, and I've had my Tours over a year now, so it might also have been a bit of the new racquet bug. And, my Tours look absolutely horrible. The paint has just come off them.

IMO, the Warrior is everything the Tour is with a little kick. It has more power, more control, and is better for me off the ground. Plus, now I get to play around with string and tension.

I figure when Prince comes out with their 14X15 frames, I'll be about ready. :)

smirker
09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Basically, hitting with the Warrior, it had more power and was better off the ground, serves, and volleys for me. It came out after the Tour, and I've had my Tours over a year now, so it might also have been a bit of the new racquet bug. And, my Tours look absolutely horrible. The paint has just come off them.

IMO, the Warrior is everything the Tour is with a little kick. It has more power, more control, and is better for me off the ground. Plus, now I get to play around with string and tension.

I figure when Prince comes out with their 14X15 frames, I'll be about ready. :)

Thanks for the insightful update. I will have to try and get hold of one (Warrior) to demo. The new Prince frames should be an eye-opener for sure!

Veninga
10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Yesterday I got my first (and long waited) hit with the Warrior.

Yes, its true, this is a spin monster (very open pattern, polarised) and very easy on the arm. Imo it is really softer than the stiffness rating of 64. It almost felt as an exo 3 tour.

My game has already some spin so I had 2 adjust a bit, otherwise all my balls were landing short (in fact before the serv line). So I will lead it up a bit at 3/9 to make it less polarised.

Also noticed that you really have to swing throught the ball. A short push shot wont get you there, and a PD does do that trick. It is definitely for medium to long strokes. Also you have to finish your stroken (WW or something like that) otherwise you hit the fence. It is definitely not for flat hitters. So low power when hitting short, big power and spin with good and long hitting.

Touch. It is definetely not a touch racket like Dunlop 300, Radical or Prestige. The new Pure Drive has more. But it does not have touch, but it provides not much. Your arm has to do it your self.

Serving, with the massive spin, is a bit strange. The racket brings you a lot of power, but because of the spin, the balls are not bombs. More like fast sliding or kicking balls.

In the end, very comfy hit. And definitely will give it a another hit. Now with some lead.

I heard from DGDavid that F100 has more control and same amount of power? Do you guys recognize this?

Dgdavid
10-24-2012, 06:35 AM
JackB1 would be a good person to ask. He currently hits with the F100 and was a long time Warrior user (think he is having a good look at the Extreme 2.0 MP too). Actually, he tried the Volkl X8 you mentioned too!

JackB1
10-24-2012, 07:03 AM
JackB1 would be a good person to ask. He currently hits with the F100 and was a long time Warrior user (think he is having a good look at the Extreme 2.0 MP too). Actually, he tried the Volkl X8 you mentioned too!

The Warrior and F100 are very similar. The Warrior has slightly more power...the F100 slightly more control. The F100 has a little higher swingweight and didn't need any lead. The Warrior benefits from a little lead. F100 has better feel....the Warrior has bigger sweetspot. Both racquets have a different feeling at impact....Warrior is more muted but crisp, while the F100 feels more solid on center hits.

I liked both. You really have to try them both side by side to see which you prefer.. You really can't go wrong with either and they are both arm friendly for PD type sticks. Either one will take you where you want to go.

Veninga
10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
The Warrior and F100 are very similar. The Warrior has slightly more power...the F100 slightly more control. The F100 has a little higher swingweight and didn't need any lead. The Warrior benefits from a little lead. F100 has better feel....the Warrior has bigger sweetspot. Both racquets have a different feeling at impact....Warrior is more muted but crisp, while the F100 feels more solid on center hits.

I liked both. You really have to try them both side by side to see which you prefer.. You really can't go wrong with either and they are both arm friendly for PD type sticks. Either one will take you where you want to go.

thanks Jack, how do they compare with your new baby, the extreme 2.0? And or the organix 8 300 grams?

Dgdavid
10-25-2012, 06:05 AM
You really need an F100 Arjan. Better in a G4 too, plays better :)

Veninga
10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
You really need an F100 Arjan. Better in a G4 too, plays better :)

Do you want to trade:)?

Pure Storm (165 tip weight!) is in, try that one 2night. Along the Warrior, we will see:)

Bmr
03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Yesterday at Indian Wells I finally decided to take a Warrior out for a test drive. It was paired with Beast string. I've been a faithful (almost) user of the Speedport Black for the past 5 years. The only racquets to almost make me switch were the Juice and the Extreme Pro 2.

This is an interesting racquet. Somewhat similar to the black, but a nice balance. Very fun to hit with. Was really enjoying it from both sides. Granted, I only played for 5 minutes and had a couple of drinks beforehand, but I must give this racquet another shot. I think it could potentially be my new racquet. Plays a little heavier than the 11oz strung weight claim, but I actually like that.

I have not found a racquet yet that will produce as much kick on my groundies as my current Speedport Black/Polylon Polyquest 17 (61 lbs) combo. It drives people nuts. This racquet definitely has potential. Love the feel also.

un6a
03-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Hi Bmr, I would like to hear more thoughts how SP Black compare to Warrior if you will eventually spent more time with it. I played with SP Black a few seasons back and loved its forgivness, feel and spin production, but with swingweight around 330 it was too heavy for me. I think warrior may have similar qualities but with more manageable sw. Unfortunatelly i can't demo it.

JackB1
03-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Yesterday at Indian Wells I finally decided to take a Warrior out for a test drive. It was paired with Beast string. I've been a faithful (almost) user of the Speedport Black for the past 5 years. The only racquets to almost make me switch were the Juice and the Extreme Pro 2.

This is an interesting racquet. Somewhat similar to the black, but a nice balance. Very fun to hit with. Was really enjoying it from both sides. Granted, I only played for 5 minutes and had a couple of drinks beforehand, but I must give this racquet another shot. I think it could potentially be my new racquet. Plays a little heavier than the 11oz strung weight claim, but I actually like that.

I have not found a racquet yet that will produce as much kick on my groundies as my current Speedport Black/Polylon Polyquest 17 (61 lbs) combo. It drives people nuts. This racquet definitely has potential. Love the feel also.

To me, the Warrior took everything about the Black and improved on it...better feel, better comfort, same power and more spin.

Bmr
03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi Bmr, I would like to hear more thoughts how SP Black compare to Warrior if you will eventually spent more time with it. I played with SP Black a few seasons back and loved its forgivness, feel and spin production, but with swingweight around 330 it was too heavy for me. I think warrior may have similar qualities but with more manageable sw. Unfortunatelly i can't demo it.

I'm going to demo it further and do a more extensive review on it. I'll let you know what my findings are. It's really difficult for me to do a direct comparison when using different types of string. I like to keep the exact same string setup on different racquets to know what the differences are.

I'm surprised that you feel the Black is too heavy. I find it to be a very easy swinging racquet. It is pretty head light. The Juice (still have it) is actually heavier than the Black and I had to add weight to it because it felt too light. The one thing the Black gives me that no other racquet has is just an insane forward bite onto the court that will kick the ball high to my opponents. I think it's just the string combo along with the way I hit the ball. But I haven't been able to reproduce it in another combination. I do use a full poly job and string with the ports. Using the string holes is a bit harder on my arm.

The one thing about the Black that I think I can improve on with another racquet is the overall balance. Using the black, I will sometimes have a tendency to spray shots and lose the control I get with other racquets. However, the pace and spin coming off my groundies well makes up for that deficiency.

Bmr
03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
To me, the Warrior took everything about the Black and improved on it...better feel, better comfort, same power and more spin.

The jury is still out on that one..I want to spend some extensive time with it next week and put it through the paces. It felt great from the ground and at the net from the 5 minutes I spent with it. I'll have to see what serves feel like also. Hey, it could be that Beast string also. That stuff felt fantastic..I may have to try that string in my Black and see how it does. Too bad it's more expensive than my current stuff.

I'm also going to demo the Steam 99S, Wilson Blade 98 (16x19) and one other racquet that I have yet to determine.

tmc5005
03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Interesting racquet, I've always liked prince. This racquet certainly would not be a top arm friendly racquet as it is too light and stiff. If you have any concerns about tennis elbow i would first try the Prince EXO3 Rebel and the
Prince EXO3 Tour

Bmr
03-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Interesting racquet, I've always liked prince. This racquet certainly would not be a top arm friendly racquet as it is too light and stiff. If you have any concerns about tennis elbow i would first try the Prince EXO3 Rebel and the
Prince EXO3 Tour

I've played with both of those racquets. The Rebel wasn't even close to a racquet I would use. I just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm with it and my shots didn't have the power that i'm used to. The Tour wasn't bad, but in the end it wasn't my cup of tea. I'm typically drawn to the open-pattern racquets with high power. Always use a full poly job as well.

DustinW
03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Has anybody tried adding some weight to the EXO3 Warrior? I've been playing with the PDR+ for a while and recently bouncing around on demos like Donnay P1, Extreme Pro 2.0, and others. I hit with a Warrior tonight and really like it. I spent a lot of time with the O3 White and Ozone Pro Tour in the last... so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that I liked it. It was even strung with a multi (which I usually hate).

But... I tend to prefer frames closer to 12 oz, so I'm just wondering how this one responds to a little weight. I remember the O3 White being really solid feeling despite it's low weight, and I thought the EXO3 Warrior had that solid/hefty feel... so maybe it's fine in stock form.

gtshark1
03-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Has anybody tried adding some weight to the EXO3 Warrior? I've been playing with the PDR+ for a while and recently bouncing around on demos like Donnay P1, Extreme Pro 2.0, and others. I hit with a Warrior tonight and really like it. I spent a lot of time with the O3 White and Ozone Pro Tour in the last... so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that I liked it. It was even strung with a multi (which I usually hate).

But... I tend to prefer frames closer to 12 oz, so I'm just wondering how this one responds to a little weight. I remember the O3 White being really solid feeling despite it's low weight, and I thought the EXO3 Warrior had that solid/hefty feel... so maybe it's fine in stock form.

I prefer weights closer to 12 ounces as well but I actually enjoyed hitting with the Team version of the Warrior. I think the balance is what felt good to me. I even liked the multi in it as you did.

keithfival
03-29-2013, 06:23 AM

I played with it for a couple weeks, wanted more mass in the head but whenever I added it it got too powerful, especially any weight in the top half. I would try weight in the throat or at 6 o clock if I were to try it again. Plays great stock, I just wanted the feel of more mass in the head.

DustinW
03-29-2013, 06:25 AM
I played with it for a couple weeks, wanted more mass in the head but whenever I added it it got too powerful, especially any weight in the top half.

Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid that might be the case.

niktub
04-01-2013, 10:49 AM
what about more weight inside the handle or splitted (handle/throat)...
It is already very powerfull...

tmc5005
04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Sounds like it would play similiar to the Prince 03 tour which has been out of production for a while.

DustinW
04-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I picked up a Warrior, and it does play well stock, but I wanted to see how it felt with a little weight added. I added lead on the handle and also at 10/2 to bring it up to about 11.8 oz and 5.5 pts head light. I tried the new Volkl V-Torque strings and wasn't a huge fan, so I'm going to restring with my normal Tour Bite before reporting back.

BTW... does anybody's EXO3 Warrior actually weigh only 11 oz like TW says? My demo was around 11.3, and the used one I picked up is 11.4.

GoudX
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I actually just moved away from the Warrior, as I have improved and got stronger and I felt it no longer suited my game. I was playing with it modified, with 7g of lead at 12, 11g of lead under the grip and a tournagrip, which brought the static weight to ~335g and SW to ~345 and balance point about 6pt HL.

From my year or so of using it, I would recommend bringing up the swingweight nice and high, as that allows you to keep the ball deep in spite of the excessive spin the stringbed produces. My biggest problem from the baseline was hitting consistent put-aways as I felt that they either sit up too much from the spin, or they were too hard to control flattening out. If you play a grinding baseline game there are few better racquets though, as you can hit very deep shots very consistently.

On serve I found it very good for producing spin serves, however I found it limiting as I advanced in ability as I found it hard to hit through the ball for consistent fast serves.

DustinW
04-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I think my time with the Warrior is over. I actually played really well with it, but it just never felt good. I really like a crisp-feeling frame, but even with full poly and no dampener... it's just not crisp. The other thing for me is that it doesn't have that put-away power that I'm looking for on groundstrokes and serves, even when weighted up to 11.8 oz.

Al1978
04-21-2013, 08:26 PM
I think my time with the Warrior is over. I actually played really well with it, but it just never felt good. I really like a crisp-feeling frame, but even with full poly and no dampener... it's just not crisp. The other thing for me is that it doesn't have that put-away power that I'm looking for on groundstrokes and serves, even when weighted up to 11.8 oz.

I'm at the same point with my Warriors. The feel is just too dampened for my taste. Comfort goes with it, but there are comfortable, arm-friendly racquets that don't make the ball feel lost on the stringbed as they do with the Warrior. Maybe the word I am looking for is "feedback," which is lacking with the Prince

DustinW
04-22-2013, 06:23 AM
I'm at the same point with my Warriors. The feel is just too dampened for my taste. Comfort goes with it, but there are comfortable, arm-friendly racquets that don't make the ball feel lost on the stringbed as they do with the Warrior. Maybe the word I am looking for is "feedback," which is lacking with the Prince

I've played with other Prince frames and enjoyed them, so I don't think it's a lack of feedback for me. Not sure what it was.

niktub
07-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi, i really enjoy these frames.
Any advice in term of string set-up? :-|
I really liked the pre-strung string(Lightning XX or spin ???) and can't find a soft no movement stringbed i like as much.
I have tried SG Forten sweet + Silverstring but it moves too much...
Full poly hurts my arm...(except if i find one that doesn't)

Multi/poly? Lightning?

JackB1
07-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Hi, i really enjoy these frames.
Any advice in term of string set-up? :-|
I really liked the pre-strung string(Lightning XX or spin ???) and can't find a soft no movement stringbed i like as much.
I have tried SG Forten sweet + Silverstring but it moves too much...
Full poly hurts my arm...(except if i find one that doesn't)

Multi/poly? Lightning?

I really liked a hybrid of Prince Beast 17 / Prince Attack 17 at around 52/56

niktub
07-04-2013, 08:18 AM
For me, the pre-strung string looked like PSG Duraflex 16...
No silver coil and no marking except 16

Machspeed
10-16-2013, 07:00 PM
I really liked a hybrid of Prince Beast 17 / Prince Attack 17 at around 52/56

I've hit with a plethora of racquets over a good span of time in a quest for one that suits me best and have found the Prince EXO3 Warrior to be the one for me. In fact, it was this thread that caught my attention and lead to the demo of it. I demo'd it twice before I bought it. The first demo came with NXT Tour and I really liked it. The next demo came strung with an unknown prince string and I liked it, but not as much as with strung with the NXT. When I ordered my racquet, I went cheap and ordered it with the free string option, one of which was Duraflex. I had it strung at 58lbs and found it to be okay. I blew it out just last night and will be stringing it with Genisis razor at 58. About a month ago, I ordered another EXO3 Warrior and had it strung full bed with Hexonic at 61 lbs. I absolutely loved that string and tension. After I blew that out, I strung the raqcuet with Jack's above mentioned string at his suggested tension. Sorry Jack, but I hate it. In fact, I'll probably cut it out. I don't know whether it is the string, the tension, or both but this is not for me. Great call on the racquet Jack, but for me, I think there is a far better string combination for this racquet.

Memo
02-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I've hit with a plethora of racquets over a good span of time in a quest for one that suits me best and have found the Prince EXO3 Warrior to be the one for me. In fact, it was this thread that caught my attention and lead to the demo of it. I demo'd it twice before I bought it. The first demo came with NXT Tour and I really liked it. The next demo came strung with an unknown prince string and I liked it, but not as much as with strung with the NXT. When I ordered my racquet, I went cheap and ordered it with the free string option, one of which was Duraflex. I had it strung at 58lbs and found it to be okay. I blew it out just last night and will be stringing it with Genisis razor at 58. About a month ago, I ordered another EXO3 Warrior and had it strung full bed with Hexonic at 61 lbs. I absolutely loved that string and tension. After I blew that out, I strung the raqcuet with Jack's above mentioned string at his suggested tension. Sorry Jack, but I hate it. In fact, I'll probably cut it out. I don't know whether it is the string, the tension, or both but this is not for me. Great call on the racquet Jack, but for me, I think there is a far better string combination for this racquet.

Same as you this thread lead me to demo/buy the racquet but i haven't had the opportunity to try as many string setups (still using the one it came with..some poly @56). I've been thinking of trying the Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power cause of the ooos n' aaaas but would like to know which string n tension u kept and would recommend.

ccmtennis
02-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Has anyone tried it with the new prince tour XC strings? I am coming from the tour 100 T which I love on most things except the feel and serving flat was horrible with it. I'm hoping to demo this in the next few days. I found that the XC strings were very comfy, did not notch and provided great feel compared to other polys I tried. I probably get a warrior if it serves better but I would encourage you guys to try the XC in 15 g , awesome string.