PDA

View Full Version : Prince EXO3 Warrior 100 Review

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JackB1
02-03-2012, 08:06 PM
OK, I just got a demo of the new Prince Warrior 100. Plan on hitting with it tomorrow if it stays dry enough!!! I never liked the Prince Black but this new offering is intriguing. Nice mid stiffness level of 64 with perfect "players-tweener" specs of 11oz, 320 sw and 24 beam. The specs are almost identical to my regular racquet...the Becker DC Pro, so I should feel right at home with it almost immediately.

I weighed my racquet and it was 328 grams with dampener and overgrip. Came in at 4 1/2 pts headlite. It swings quicker through the air than my Becker...probably due to the O-ports. I will try it stock first, but I am thinking it may need a little lead to keep it from feeling too "whippy". My demo is strung with full Prince Lightning XX and I think I am the first to get this demo...it looks unused. The paintjob is OK....mostly black with some white and silver. Not a flashy look, but not ugly either. I wonder if u can get this racquet with the regular string holes on the sides, as opposed to the port holes? I just hate stringing racquets with the port holes!

Stay tuned! More to come! If anyone else has hit with this racquet already, please let me know what your thought were.

737Capt
02-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I would like to hear how your demo goes. I play occasionally with a Prince Black while I'm away from home and I'm curious how they compare?

JackB1
02-04-2012, 05:29 PM
ok I got to play 2 sets today with the warrior and its a nice racquet. Wasn't as whippy as I thought it was going to be and it felt pretty solid stock and I don't think I would add any weight to it. The beam is a little thicker than I would like and it the racquet does feel a little large and clunky. For some reason the hoop looks bigger than other 100" racquets. The racquet has a nice combination of power and control. Not quite as powerful as my Becker, but no slouch either. Spin was easy to get with the very open pattern and round shaped head. I hit some nice kickers with it, but couldn't get the same pace as normal on flatter serves. Feel was in the middle...not too flexy and not too stiff.
Really liked this racquet from the baseline. Groundstrokes felt good and you didn't have to work too hard to maintain depth. Volleys were very good and the racquet felt nice and solid on punch volleys.

I think this racquet could fit a wide variety of players and would be a great choice for 3.5-4.0 players. I think this is a nice upgrade from the EXO3 Black and White.

JackB1
02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
played some more today...I think this racquet will be a big hit with intermediate players. Seems to do everything well. I could definitely switch to this racquet and not miss a beat. Problem is it really doesn't do anything BETTER than my current racquet, but its very close. I may pick one up down the line so I can try it with my own strings.

if anyone has any questions about the Warrior, I would be happy to answer.

NYCtennis1
02-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Just wondering how freely you were able to swing when flattening out on groundies? Also if you were to put some lead on the frame, where do you feel it most needs some?

Thanks

JackB1
02-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Just wondering how freely you were able to swing when flattening out on groundies? Also if you were to put some lead on the frame, where do you feel it most needs some?

Thanks

Lead would be a personal thing. I didn't think it needed any.

I usually don't hit totally flat, but I was able to swing pretty freely on groundies, but it is a powerful frame like the Aeropro Drive or Head Extreme.

Centryx
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
how would you compare it to the exo tour 100?

un6a
02-06-2012, 04:52 AM
This frame is indeed very interesting. I really like Black, but it is a bit heavy for me. Warrior looks like perfect tweener. I hope i will get chance to try it.

JackB1
02-06-2012, 06:33 AM
how would you compare it to the exo tour 100?

not as demanding

more powerful

not as muted and soft feeling

lighter swinging

JackB1
02-06-2012, 06:34 AM
This frame is indeed very interesting. I really like Black, but it is a bit heavy for me. Warrior looks like perfect tweener. I hope i will get chance to try it.

It really is the perfect tweener....much like my extremely underrated Becker Pro.

Jocke
02-06-2012, 11:55 AM
How would you say it is in terms of arm-friendlyness?

El Diablo
02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I had two hits with the racquet and I'd say it's strengths are serve (excellent), groundstrokes and comfort (very plush, though balls hit very high in the stringbed transmit some distinctive feel). I was less smitten with volleys, felt some flutter you'd anticipate with a racquet barely north of 11 ounces, some lead-on-the-head might be nice.

JackB1
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
How would you say it is in terms of arm-friendlyness?

felt very comfortable to me. I think its rated in the low 60's,
I would say this racquet would be safe for all but the most sensitive elbows.

hduong
02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I got this as a slightly more powerful alternative to my Dunlop 4D 300. After a few hours, I agree, it's a great tweener racket for 3.5+ players. I especially like it for the serve and two handed backhand. Good pace and depth. Was also able to swing freely without hitting long all the time. Moderate power and heavy enough to be able to return harder hit serves and ground strokes from 3.5 4.0 players. Timing was a bit off on the forehand as the swing speed felt a big sluggish. Maybe due to the thickness of the frame. It's also easy on the arms and shoulders. Mine was strung with full gut at 58lbs which helps. It's a keeper for me.

JackB1
02-13-2012, 06:21 AM
I got this as a slightly more powerful alternative to my Dunlop 4D 300. After a few hours, I agree, it's a great tweener racket for 3.5+ players. I especially like it for the serve and two handed backhand. Good pace and depth. Was also able to swing freely without hitting long all the time. Moderate power and heavy enough to be able to return harder hit serves and ground strokes from 3.5 4.0 players. Timing was a bit off on the forehand as the swing speed felt a big sluggish. Maybe due to the thickness of the frame. It's also easy on the arms and shoulders. Mine was strung with full gut at 58lbs which helps. It's a keeper for me.

I don't find it sluggish at all...rather whippy through the air due to the o-ports.
Really liking this frame a lot.

JackB1
02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
I am not sure why this frame isn't generating more interest? The new Rebel 98 seems to be getting all the praise, but this new Warrior 100 deserves as much,if not more attention. Its more powerful than the Rebel98 and doesn't require as fast a swing. It also feels more solid than the Rebel on impact and can be used very well in stock form. Its not too stiff and not too flexy...very comfortable. I really can't find anything to not like about it. Where's the love people? :-)

Maybe its because TW hasn't reviewed it yet?

sansaephanh
02-17-2012, 09:16 AM
I am not sure why this frame isn't generating more interest? The new Rebel 98 seems to be getting all the praise, but this new Warrior 100 deserves as much,if not more attention. Its more powerful than the Rebel98 and doesn't require as fast a swing. It also feels more solid than the Rebel on impact and can be used very well in stock form. Its not too stiff and not too flexy...very comfortable. I really can't find anything to not like about it. Where's the love people? :-)

Maybe its because TW hasn't reviewed it yet?

Yeah, tweener rackets are under appreciated in general, but its probably cause the Rebel 98 shares its name with a great players frame.

JackB1
02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Yeah, tweener rackets are under appreciated in general, but its probably cause the Rebel 98 shares its name with a great players frame.

I currently have both and play with lots of other 3.5s to 4.5s, teammates, etc., and EVERY one that has tried both liked the Warrior much better.

athiker
02-17-2012, 10:45 AM
This would be a racquet I would be interested in, but I as a home stringer I have shied away from all Prince frames. How has it been to string? Did you order one of those space filling thingies? I use a Klippermate and while is used have a pin of some sort I believe to act as a brake it no longer does...though I guess I could find something to fit. Just don't feel like adding hassle to what is already a bit time consuming. Thoughts as a fellow home stringer?

JackB1
02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
This would be a racquet I would be interested in, but I as a home stringer I have shied away from all Prince frames. How has it been to string? Did you order one of those space filling thingies? I use a Klippermate and while is used have a pin of some sort I believe to act as a brake it no longer does...though I guess I could find something to fit. Just don't feel like adding hassle to what is already a bit time consuming. Thoughts as a fellow home stringer?

I hear ya, but its not that bad to string. It only comes into play on about half of the crosses and the ports actually make some things easier, like threading the strings through and also pulling the cross string slack through.

I didn't order a boomerang yet and have been using my turntable brake, but you just need something to stick in there to space out the string. Some use a sharpie cap, some use socket wrench extensions, some also use an S-hook, which I want to try next. Look for the thread about Prince O Ports in the stringing section. Lots of great tips. I don't think that should keep you from trying this outstanding racquet.

Edit: here's the thread http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=409672

athiker
02-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just watched Irvin's 50/50 as well...doesn't seem too bad either I guess. Though easier w/ fixed clamps.

minitraveller
02-18-2012, 08:43 PM
I currently have both and play with lots of other 3.5s to 4.5s, teammates, etc., and EVERY one that has tried both liked the Warrior much better.

I agree..... I got a chance to hit a few more balls with the Rebel today (second time in a few weeks) and didn't really like it that much. The first time I hit with it a few weeks ago, it seemed decent, but today, after also trying the Warrior in between, I prefer the Warrior. The Warrior just felt more comfortable in stock form, and although more powerful, it seemed easier to keep the ball in the court because of the spin. Just my opnion of course. :)

JackB1
02-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I agree..... I got a chance to hit a few more balls with the Rebel today (second time in a few weeks) and didn't really like it that much. The first time I hit with it a few weeks ago, it seemed decent, but today, after also trying the Warrior in between, I prefer the Warrior. The Warrior just felt more comfortable in stock form, and although more powerful, it seemed easier to keep the ball in the court because of the spin. Just my opnion of course. :)

I really didn't understand all the glowing reviews the TW playtest gave the Rebel 98. It's a decent stick, but no standout IMO. Maybe for a high level player that wants a lighter control stick it would work, but Prince is marketing it as a "tweener" and there are lots of better choices IMO for "tweenerish", including the Warrior 100. The Rebel 98 feels much less solid at the same weight as the Warrior and really doesn't beat it in any category IMO.

That said, I am seriously considering making the switch to the Warrior. It is so similar to my Becker DCP but offers a more "normal" gripsize versus the Becker and I also prefer the cosmetics and the Prince name over the Becker name. I have been using the Warrior the past 2 weeks and adapted to it rather quickly and have been playing just as well with it. Also, it doesn't require any lead tape whatsoever, where the Becker does.. The Warrior 100 is probably one of the most solid feeling 11 oz racquets I have ever used. It also has the plowthru of a 12 oz stick. Can't say enough good things about this stick. Prince really improved on the White and Black and the Warrior is the 1st Prince OPort stick that doesn't feel muted and dampened. Its pretty crisp but comfortable with a nice feeling on impact. Any 3.5-4.0s in the market for a new stick with decent swingweight and power should give this one a look.

BC1
02-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I really didn't understand all the glowing reviews the TW playtest gave the Rebel 98. It's a decent stick, but no standout IMO. Maybe for a high level player that wants a lighter control stick it would work, but Prince is marketing it as a "tweener" and there are lots of better choices IMO for "tweenerish", including the Warrior 100. The Rebel 98 feels much less solid at the same weight as the Warrior and really doesn't beat it in any category IMO.

That said, I am seriously considering making the switch to the Warrior. It is so similar to my Becker DCP but offers a more "normal" gripsize versus the Becker and I also prefer the cosmetics and the Prince name over the Becker name. I have been using the Warrior the past 2 weeks and adapted to it rather quickly and have been playing just as well with it. Also, it doesn't require any lead tape whatsoever, where the Becker does.. The Warrior 100 is probably one of the most solid feeling 11 oz racquets I have ever used. It also hais the plowthru of a 12 oz stick. Can't say enough good things about this stick. Prince really improved on the White and Black and the Warrior is the 1st Prince OPort stick that doesn't feel muted and dampened. Its pretty crisp but comfortable with a nice feeling on impact. Any 3.5-4.0s in the market for a new stick with decent swingweight and power should give this one a look.

I have been playing with both as well (rebel 98 and warrior 100). They are both great racquets. Like jack said the warrior is the perfect tweener and i agree with his review on the warrior. Its not as powerful as a pd (a good thing), good control, not too stiff and very comfortable. However im loving the 98 right now. The rebel 98 is more of a light weight players racquet, is forgiving and has decent power and good plow through, and imo has more contol then the warrior. Prince is doing a great job wifh their new racquets. Im sold on the rebel 98 right now, but would like both of them in my bag.

Al1978
02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm making the switch to the Warrior. I'm very picky about grip shape, and the Prince is my favorite. Wilson and Dunlop work well enough, too, but I can't get used to the more rectangular shapes of Head, Volkl and other brands. I previously used a Dunlop 300, but I'm looking for something with more power and weight in stock form. I tested a Warrior last weekend and immediately took to it. I'll definitely swap out the stock grip for leather, and probably add a few grams of lead to partially offset the added weight in the handle, but the Warrior felt fine in stock form.

keithfival
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh no don't tempt me guys!! After trying 1,000 frames to replace my APDC+ (shoulder gets sore from all the whipping on forehands and second serves that it lures me into) I failed to find one I felt comfortable with but lately I find myself pulling out a Prince Rebel Team to give myself a break because it is sOooo comfortable to hit with (it rewards flatter hitting and has such a pleasant feel on impact). I can play pretty well with it but it certainly has much less bite and easy depth than the APDC type frames.

Now the specs of this Warrior are making me wonder if it would have a similar feel as the Rebel Team (virtually same stiffness rating, O-ports, prince) but with the APD headsize, sting pattern and spin/power level.

Have any of you that tried the warrior also played the Rebel Team? Similar feel?? The weight isn't an issue, my APDC+ is ~340g and the handle weighted on the Rebel.

Also, can you hit flat with the Warrior or does it induce you to hit with tons of topspin??

JackB1
02-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I have been playing with both as well (rebel 98 and warrior 100). They are both great racquets. Like jack said the warrior is the perfect tweener and i agree with his review on the warrior. Its not as powerful as a pd (a good thing), good control, not too stiff and very comfortable. However im loving the 98 right now. The rebel 98 is more of a light weight players racquet, is forgiving and has decent power and good plow through, and imo has more contol then the warrior. Prince is doing a great job wifh their new racquets. Im sold on the rebel 98 right now, but would like both of them in my bag.

Yes Prince has done a great job with the Warrior 100 and Rebel 98 and one of those 2 should work nicely for many intermediate players. I agree the Rebel has more control than the Warrior, but I don't have to work as hard with the Warrior and its not too powerful at all. Mine is strung with multi/poly and I would imagine full poly would give lots of control to bigger hitters. I thought the Rebel lacked the solidity of the Warrior, but I could see it working for others.

RollTrackTake
02-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey Jack & all. Can someone give me an idea as to how the weight is distributed on the Warrior 100? Polarized, depolarized, even balance? I've played with the Becker Pro, EXO 3 Black, APDGT & others and I've found I like racquets with more weight in the hoop.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.434577,-81.300737

JackB1
02-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey Jack & all. Can someone give me an idea as to how the weight is distributed on the Warrior 100? Polarized, depolarized, even balance? I've played with the Becker Pro, EXO 3 Black, APDGT & others and I've found I like racquets with more weight in the hoop.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.434577,-81.300737

It feels polarised to me, like the Becker Pro. Definitely feel a good amount of weight in the hoop. I think you will like it!

BC1
02-19-2012, 08:14 PM
It feels polarised to me, like the Becker Pro. Definitely feel a good amount of weight in the hoop. I think you will like it!

I agree. But it does not feel heavy or sluggish in any way. To me it seemed to swing like it was more headlight then what it was. It has a nice comfortable balance. Feels lighter then the black or apdgt.

BC1
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh no don't tempt me guys!! After trying 1,000 frames to replace my APDC+ (shoulder gets sore from all the whipping on forehands and second serves that it lures me into) I failed to find one I felt comfortable with but lately I find myself pulling out a Prince Rebel Team to give myself a break because it is sOooo comfortable to hit with (it rewards flatter hitting and has such a pleasant feel on impact). I can play pretty well with it but it certainly has much less bite and easy depth than the APDC type frames.

Now the specs of this Warrior are making me wonder if it would have a similar feel as the Rebel Team (virtually same stiffness rating, O-ports, prince) but with the APD headsize, sting pattern and spin/power level.

Have any of you that tried the warrior also played the Rebel Team? Similar feel?? The weight isn't an issue, my APDC+ is ~340g and the handle weighted on the Rebel.

Also, can you hit flat with the Warrior or does it induce you to hit with tons of topspin??

Not sure if your talking about the old rebel tram or the new 98 team. Ive only hit with the rebel 98 team, but to me it was very different to the warriror. Both have a comfortable feel. But the team is more head heavy and felt like it had a higher sw. More contol and less easy power. The oval headshape makes a difference as well. Two totally different racquets. Got to demo to see what is best for your game.

JackB1
02-19-2012, 08:39 PM

The Warrior works equally well for flat or topspin. It also has a nice feel on impact that I'm sure you will like. Definitely a better alternative than the APD.
Similar power level and a good sized sweet spot. Just an all around great tweener without the Babolat arm issues.. Or if you want to save money, pick up the Becker DC Pro. Its VERY similar, but will only cost $89 new versus $190. I may be selling 2 of mine soon if I decide to make the switch to the Warrior. I just want to play a few more matches with it to confirm it's not just the honeymoon period :-)

Hi I'm Ray
02-19-2012, 08:47 PM

That said, I am seriously considering making the switch to the Warrior. It is so similar to my Becker DCP but offers a more "normal" gripsize versus the Becker and I also prefer the cosmetics and the Prince name over the Becker name. I have been using the Warrior the past 2 weeks and adapted to it rather quickly and have been playing just as well with it. Also, it doesn't require any lead tape whatsoever, where the Becker does.. The Warrior 100 is probably one of the most solid feeling 11 oz racquets I have ever used. It also has the plowthru of a 12 oz stick. Can't say enough good things about this stick. Prince really improved on the White and Black and the Warrior is the 1st Prince OPort stick that doesn't feel muted and dampened. Its pretty crisp but comfortable with a nice feeling on impact. Any 3.5-4.0s in the market for a new stick with decent swingweight and power should give this one a look.

When u say more "normal" grip size, do u actually mean the grip size is off or is it the grip shape?

Carolina Racquet
02-20-2012, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I just watched Irvin's 50/50 as well...doesn't seem too bad either I guess. Though easier w/ fixed clamps.

Not to dwell on the stringing issues, but I also have a Klippermate and the 50/50 is a breeze. You just need to use your starting pin as you would in starting your mains.

Don't let the stringing hold you back!

JackB1
02-20-2012, 06:36 AM
When u say more "normal" grip size, do u actually mean the grip size is off or is it the grip shape?

sorry, I meant grip shape...not grip size. My mistake.

Dgdavid
02-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Hey Jack, slightly OT but did you notice much difference when you strung your Rebel with Pro Evolution over stock? What tension did you use?

JackB1
02-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Hey Jack, slightly OT but did you notice much difference when you strung your Rebel with Pro Evolution over stock? What tension did you use?

I strung the Pro Evo at 54/52.

I don't understand your question though? Difference over stock? Stock what?

Dgdavid
02-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Sorry, in UK they come prestrung with a standard string (not sure what it is), that's what I meant by stock. Did you like the Pro Evo set-up?

JackB1
02-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Sorry, in UK they come prestrung with a standard string (not sure what it is), that's what I meant by stock. Did you like the Pro Evo set-up?

No I didn't, but I'm not usually a poly guy. I felt there wasn't enough power with the full poly and had to swing harder than normal to maintain pace and depth.

However, I tried a demo with full set of Prince Beast and that felt much better for some reason.

pjb5s4
02-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Being a 4.5, I dismissed the warrior 100 because of it's "tweener" status but after reading this I'm strongly considering it. One of my favorite rackets I've hit with was the triple threat warrior mp so hopefully this new warrior will do the trick for me. I think with a leather grip the static weight will be at mid 11's strung with a 6-7 head light balance.

BC1
02-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Being a 4.5, I dismissed the warrior 100 because of it's "tweener" status but after reading this I'm strongly considering it. One of my favorite rackets I've hit with was the triple threat warrior mp so hopefully this new warrior will do the trick for me. I think with a leather grip the static weight will be at mid 11's strung with a 6-7 head light balance.

Sounds like that would be amazing. I liked the warrior a lot in stock form, but would love to try it with those specs.

I have been leaning towards the rebel 98, but need to give the warrior some more thought. I guess i need to keep demoing! I bought the new pd on impulse when it first came out - but I regret it. The warrior is such a better racquet in that class. With the pd you can make some magical powerful shots - but it's all racquet - no feel, no touch, and no feedback. You have no idea where the balls going. Sometimes you get real lucky, sometimes not. With the warrior (or rebel 98) you feel like you are in control and if you mess up, or make a great shot, it's all you - not the racquet, and you're not fearful of hitting the ball long on every shot.

Power Player
02-20-2012, 07:44 AM
I am finding these lighter sticks play amazing and you can play at a very advanced level with a stick that is 11.5. It is basically a myth at this point that you need a heavy players stick unless your game is just more classic and thats what you play best with it.

But also in my experience if you bring the balance to 6-7 points while the racquet is at that weight, you will lose some of the magic of the stick. If anything, you can just put a little lead at 12 and make the stick 2-3 points HL and it will plow better and play bigger for you.

IMO Re balancing to the standard 6-8 pts HL is not really needed when the racquet is in the mid 11oz range.

pjb5s4
02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Power Player,
The racket is 11 ounces strung. I would try to get it up to the mid 11oz range with the leather grip. If 4 points headlight stock, I think a leather grip would make it 2-3 points more but you're right that some lead at 12 would counteract it. In general I prefer 6-7 points headlight after having tried the blx blade 98 but it seems like the warrior has a good balance at 4 points.

Power Player
02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Yes, my Pro Open is the same weight. I just added 2 grams to 12 and then overgrip and dampener brings it right up to 330 grams.

So basically you may not need the leather grip if you use an overgrip and dampener.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 08:13 AM

mine was heavier than that with just overgrip. It is 333 grams with overgrip and damper. With leather grip, it should be very close to 12 oz. It feels VERY solid stock, so with extra weight it could be a beast!

JackB1
02-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I am finding these lighter sticks play amazing and you can play at a very advanced level with a stick that is 11.5. It is basically a myth at this point that you need a heavy players stick unless your game is just more classic and thats what you play best with it.

But also in my experience if you bring the balance to 6-7 points while the racquet is at that weight, you will lose some of the magic of the stick. If anything, you can just put a little lead at 12 and make the stick 2-3 points HL and it will plow better and play bigger for you.

IMO Re balancing to the standard 6-8 pts HL is not really needed when the racquet is in the mid 11oz range.

I have found the Warrior to be more than adequate stock and found no instability issues against some of my harder hitting teammates who are 4.0-4.5 level.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Power Player,
The racket is 11 ounces strung. I would try to get it up to the mid 11oz range with the leather grip. If 4 points headlight stock, I think a leather grip would make it 2-3 points more but you're right that some lead at 12 would counteract it. In general I prefer 6-7 points headlight after having tried the blx blade 98 but it seems like the warrior has a good balance at 4 points.

either I got an unusually high one or the published specs are a little off, but mine came in at 11.6 strung w/ overgrip.

Yourtenniscoach
02-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Jack, you seem to tryout more frames that just about anyone on the boards. Do you find it hard switching from frame to frame and then back to your current racquet? I would think my arm would go through racquet confusion with all of the racquets you try.

Do you think there is a racquet out there that will suddenly give you racquet "Nirvana" or that you'll suddenly fall in love with?

Power Player
02-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I have found the Warrior to be more than adequate stock and found no instability issues against some of my harder hitting teammates who are 4.0-4.5 level.

Yes, same with the Pro Open, which is basically a very similar stick. I add a little lead at 12 just to up the swingweight and it's perfect. Very solid and does not get pushed around.

Power Player
02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Jack, you seem to tryout more frames that just about anyone on the boards. Do you find it hard switching from frame to frame and then back to your current racquet? I would think my arm would go through racquet confusion with all of the racquets you try.

Do you think there is a racquet out there that will suddenly give you racquet "Nirvana" or that you'll suddenly fall in love with?

I like Jack's demo tendencies because if you read his reviews, they are usually pretty accurate. So while he definitely tries a ton of sticks, it can save a lot of people time who read his posts.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
I like Jack's demo tendencies because if you read his reviews, they are usually pretty accurate. So while he definitely tries a ton of sticks, it can save a lot of people time who read his posts.

Thanks PP. I like to think by this time I have a pretty good idea of what works for players at my level (3.5). Lord knows I have tried enough racquets to know what's a cut above the rest.

BTW, I will be putting my Warrior up f/s today. I got a great deal on a 3/8, but have decided to make the switch and will buy 2 new one's in my usual 4 1/2. So if anyone wants a 3/8 with very little wear on it, go look for it in that section.

p-ratziner
02-20-2012, 09:18 AM
JackB1: Can you compare the BLX Pro Open against BBDCPro and Prince Warrior?

Yourtenniscoach
02-20-2012, 09:30 AM

I agree, his reviews are on point like non point (obscure rock music reference). I just wonder if demoing causes issues when he goes back to his regular racquet, if he has a regular racquet.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 09:33 AM
JackB1: Can you compare the BLX Pro Open against BBDCPro and Prince Warrior?

Those are 3 racquets that I could pick any of them and play well with.
They are all similar and only have subtle differences between them that only demoing would bring out, but here are some thoughts...

I found the BLX Pro Open slightly less powerful than the DCP and not quite as solid feeling. More control oriented and great all court stick.

The DC Pro is a great baseliners stick for powerful serves and groundstrokes but I found it excels in all areas.

The Warrior is equal to the DCP, but with slightly heavier swingweight. Great all around stick, but it's designed to be a power stick like the Becker and Babolats.

Power: DCP slight edge over the Warrior, then comes the Pro Open
Swingweight: Warrior most, then the DCP, then the Open.
Serves: The DCP and Warrior tied, then the Open
Volleys: Open, then the Warrior/DCP

Again, these 3 are so close, that only personal preference will decide, but I could easily play with either of them and be happy.

A_Instead
02-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Can anyone compare the EXO Warrior to the EXO Tour Team?
I added a little lead to one of my EXO Tour Teams to bring it up to my prefered spec. With the lead ,dampener and over grip, it is close to the EXO Warrior in terms of specs.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I agree, his reviews are on point like non point (obscure rock music reference). I just wonder if demoing causes issues when he goes back to his regular racquet, if he has a regular racquet.

It doesn't cause any issues because I use my main racquet for competitive matches and use test racquets on the side for casual match play or practice.
I stay with my main racquet enough so that its instantly familiar feeling when I pick it up. As long as I keep using my main racquet for at least 80% of the time, it stays familiar feeling. The key is to not lose that familiarity with your main racquet. Plus I always stay within the same spec range, so the differences are not very pronounced.

p-ratziner
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Those are 3 racquets that I could pick any of them and play well with.
They are all similar and only have subtle differences between them that only demoing would bring out, but here are some thoughts...

I found the BLX Pro Open slightly less powerful than the DCP and not quite as solid feeling. More control oriented and great all court stick.

The DC Pro is a great baseliners stick for powerful serves and groundstrokes but I found it excels in all areas.

The Warrior is equal to the DCP, but with slightly heavier swingweight. Great all around stick, but it's designed to be a power stick like the Becker and Babolats.

Power: DCP slight edge over the Warrior, then comes the Pro Open
Swingweight: Warrior most, then the DCP, then the Open.
Serves: The DCP and Warrior tied, then the Open
Volleys: Open, then the Warrior/DCP

Again, these 3 are so close, that only personal preference will decide, but I could easily play with either of them and be happy.

Thank you very much, it`s all very clear.
And what about confort, grip (don`t like Head grips, like Dunlop, wilson, babolat...) and head shape.
I`ve been playing with Dunlop 4D300T and I want to change for a more powerfull racket, but I think that dunlop 500T and 400 are too stiff. what do you think?. Thanks!!!

Power Player
02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
^^^

I chose the pro open simply because I love Wilsons..their feel and the gripshape as well. You may want to demo because all these sticks are pretty similar so it comes down to personal preference.

I just took a shot on the pro open, and ended up loving it.

prjacobs
02-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Yes, Jack. I also enjoy your reviews. I'm not playing this winter, but in the spring I'll be demoing lots of frames, and definitely the warrior 100. Personally, I love to see what's out there. I just take my time and zero in on what I want.
Keep 'em coming Jack :).

JackB1
02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Thank you very much, it`s all very clear.
And what about confort, grip (don`t like Head grips, like Dunlop, wilson, babolat...) and head shape.
I`ve been playing with Dunlop 4D300T and I want to change for a more powerfull racket, but I think that dunlop 500T and 400 are too stiff. what do you think?. Thanks!!!

if you don't like Head grip shape then the Becker is out. It has a similar rectangular shape.

Comfort, the Open and the Warrior are both comfortable and similar stiffness levels, but I give the edge to the Warrior. Its slightly more plush feeling and the Open is more crisp feeling.. The O Ports of the Warrior aid in comfort and power.

Head shape, the Warrior is rounder like the Speeds or the Extreme.
The Open is a standard shape.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, Jack. I also enjoy your reviews. I'm not playing this winter, but in the spring I'll be demoing lots of frames, and definitely the warrior 100. Personally, I love to see what's out there. I just take my time and zero in on what I want.
Keep 'em coming Jack :).

Glad to know my racquet "excursions' are helping people out :-)

Its been a really mild winter this year in Atlanta and I have played more tennis this winter than ever before. Its been great!

I really enjoy playtesting different racquets and have really fined tuned what I like and don't like. There sure are lots of great choices out there now.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 10:42 AM
^^^

I chose the pro open simply because I love Wilsons..their feel and the gripshape as well. You may want to demo because all these sticks are pretty similar so it comes down to personal preference.

I just took a shot on the pro open, and ended up loving it.

I was VERY close to going with the BLX Pro Open and the Becker Pro barely beat it out and it was only because my serve was better with the Becker. Serve is always my #1 consideration with racquets, since its such a huge part of the game. If a racquet doesn't serve at least equal to my main racquet, I cannot even consider it. The Warrior 100 is equal to the Becker and that's saying a lot!

Power Player
02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
That's impressive because the Pro Open serves incredible for me as well. It's probably pretty close, but the Pro Open serves about the same as a Pure Drive for me.

If I didn't like wilson's so much I'd probably go on a little demo session and try all of these sticks, but they are all so similar that it just boils down to preference.

Kind of cool that all these tweeners are out there now that IMO are better than the Babos.

What I find is that they make tennis a lot easier, but the more advanced you get, the more you can control them and hit really big shots with the accuracy of a player's stick.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
That's impressive because the Pro Open serves incredible for me as well. It's probably pretty close, but the Pro Open serves about the same as a Pure Drive for me.

If I didn't like wilson's so much I'd probably go on a little demo session and try all of these sticks, but they are all so similar that it just boils down to preference.

Kind of cool that all these tweeners are out there now that IMO are better than the Babos.

What I find is that they make tennis a lot easier, but the more advanced you get, the more you can control them and hit really big shots with the accuracy of a player's stick.

There are plenty of Pro's using so-called tweeners like the Pro Open, PD, APD, Instinct, etc. If you want to hit with a low powered 93" frame then have at it...not me :-)

p-ratziner
02-20-2012, 12:16 PM
JackB1 & PP: I think I`ll buy the PO. Have you played Dunlop`s tweeners Bio 400 and 500T? What about them?

RollTrackTake
02-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Based on what you guys are feeling I'm going to try the Warrior out. I've used Prince racquets dating back to the POG, then the Spectrum comp, TriComp and Precision response. Since getting back into tennis I've been looking for a nice blend of mid level power & comfort. I played well with the EXO 3 black until i got some elbow tenderness. I put a full bed of syn gut in it and it seemed to help the elbow but the 'feel' was still lacking. Then I tried a myriad of others having brief relationships with APDC & GT, PDGT, Aero Storm Tour cortex, BB London, Donnay dual silver & demoed even more. I've settled down with the Donnay Pro one and I still use the Wilson Pro Open BLX at times as well. On paper the Warrior & BLX pro open appear almost identical. Anyone played with both and can talk about differences & similarities?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.040722,-82.848663

RollTrackTake
02-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Read PP & Jacks Pro Open vs Warrior remarks so disregard my last question unless anyone can add some other noticeable differences

prjacobs
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
JackB1 & PP: I think I`ll buy the PO. Have you played Dunlop`s tweeners Bio 400 and 500T? What about them?

Personally, my dunlop 4D 500 tour did everything better than any of the babolat tweeners. But the 4D 500 tour hurt my shoulder. However the bio 500 is softer and TW seems to love the bio 400. I'll definitely demo both in the spring. Everyone talks about how great the PDR serves but again, for me, the dunlop was far more accurate and provided just as much pace.

keithfival
02-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Personally, my dunlop 4D 500 tour did everything better than any of the babolat tweeners. But the 4D 500 tour hurt my shoulder. However the bio 500 is softer and TW seems to love the bio 400. I'll definitely demo both in the spring. Everyone talks about how great the PDR serves but again, for me, the dunlop was far more accurate and provided just as much pace.

+1. The 4d 500 Tour does everything very very well but is just a little too stiff for me. If not for that it would be my stick.

downs_chris
02-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I was VERY close to going with the BLX Pro Open and the Becker Pro barely beat it out and it was only because my serve was better with the Becker. Serve is always my #1 consideration with racquets, since its such a huge part of the game. If a racquet doesn't serve at least equal to my main racquet, I cannot even consider it. The Warrior 100 is equal to the Becker and that's saying a lot!

how does serving with the warrior compare to serving with the new Rebel 98?

JackB1
02-20-2012, 03:38 PM
how does serving with the warrior compare to serving with the new Rebel 98?

I couldn't get as much pace on my serve with the Rebel 98...had to use more spin. The Warrior's extra power really helps me out on serve. The Rebel is better for spinny serves and the Warrior more if u like pace.

goherd27
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I couldn't get as much pace on my serve with the Rebel 98...had to use more spin. The Warrior's extra power really helps me out on serve. The Rebel is better for spinny serves and the Warrior more if u like pace.

I respect your opinion on this but disagree. I hit an old school hard flat serve and the 98 responds well. The kick 2d serve is also good with the Rebel but I disagree that the Rebel is better for that type of serve.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I respect your opinion on this but disagree. I hit an old school hard flat serve and the 98 responds well. The kick 2d serve is also good with the Rebel but I disagree that the Rebel is better for that type of serve.

That was my experience. The main thing for me was I got more pace with less effort with the Warrior compared to the Rebel. Have you tried the Warrior? I haven't seen you make one comment mentioning it?

goherd27
02-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Your assertion may be correct between those two frames. I have not tried the warrior. The specs look closer to to a tweener than I traditionally like. I just found the Rebel very good on the flat serve. Better than the London and Melbourne.

Larrysümmers
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
thanks for the review, sounds like it should hit my demo list sometime.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Your assertion may be correct between those two frames. I have not tried the warrior. The specs look closer to to a tweener than I traditionally like. I just found the Rebel very good on the flat serve. Better than the London and Melbourne.

so are you staying with the Rebel98? I liked that frame also, but just didn't click with it like I did with the Warrior. But I could see how some would like it. It fits firmly into the "lighter players frames" category.

goherd27
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
I am undecided. It is a little more harsh on the elbow than the London and the Melbourne. I have played very well with it but it is still too early to tell if I am willing to make the switch. I have matches with some hard hitting and better opponents coming up. Will see how the racquet responds and decide from there.

JackB1
02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I am undecided. It is a little more harsh on the elbow than the London and the Melbourne. I have played very well with it but it is still too early to tell if I am willing to make the switch. I have matches with some hard hitting and better opponents coming up. Will see how the racquet responds and decide from there.

What is your Rebel strung with? You should be able to find a combo that isn't harsh on your elbow.

goherd27
02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I have two with full vs gut and two with vs gut mains/nxt crosses (like the London set ups). I think the string setups are solid. Just a little more harsh.

bigant2984
02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
jackb1 i dont want to get of topic, but how does the warrior compare to the exo3 black ? , looking into new sticks and im leaning toward the black because of its price point

JackB1
02-20-2012, 09:11 PM
jackb1 i dont want to get of topic, but how does the warrior compare to the exo3 black ? , looking into new sticks and im leaning toward the black because of its price point

Havent played the Black other than a brief demo. But the Black is much stiffer feeling and lighter through the air. The Black might be a touch more powerful as well. If u want something like the Warrior at a great price, you should get the Becker DC Pro for $89 new. Much better choice than the Black IMO and easy on your arm too.

dParis
02-20-2012, 09:26 PM
On the TW feedback page:

Comments: Warrior, come out and play! Go back to basics in form and preparation and you've got a powerful tool here. Plenty of spin, ample amounts of power and maneuverability makes this racket a formidable weapon on the courts. Great for 12+ years old until solid 4.5 players. It works and it does its job well.
String type and tension:luxi, 60 lbs
Headsize:95
NTRP Rating: 5.5

I thought that was funny. :)

bigant2984
02-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Havent played the Black other than a brief demo. But the Black is much stiffer feeling and lighter through the air. The Black might be a touch more powerful as well. If u want something like the Warrior at a great price, you should get the Becker DC Pro for $89 new. Much better choice than the Black IMO and easy on your arm too.

thanks for the input, you review is making me want to spend the money and buy 2 exo3 warrior, but i am going to have to do more research, have you got around to trying the warrior with the string holes ?

Hi I'm Ray
02-20-2012, 10:18 PM

10 characters

JackB1
02-21-2012, 06:24 AM
On the TW feedback page:

Comments: Warrior, come out and play! Go back to basics in form and preparation and you've got a powerful tool here. Plenty of spin, ample amounts of power and maneuverability makes this racket a formidable weapon on the courts. Great for 12+ years old until solid 4.5 players. It works and it does its job well.
String type and tension:luxi, 60 lbs
Headsize:95
NTRP Rating: 5.5

I thought that was funny. :)

What part? The reference to the movie "The Warriors"??. :-)

JackB1
02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
thanks for the input, you review is making me want to spend the money and buy 2 exo3 warrior, but i am going to have to do more research, have you got around to trying the warrior with the string holes ?

No. I like it as is with the ports. Not all muted like some Prince O Port sticks of the past.

dParis
02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
What part? The reference to the movie "The Warriors"??. :-)
Yes. I wasn't expecting that - a blast from the past.

JackB1
02-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes. I wasn't expecting that - a blast from the past.

You must be as old as me dP :-)

great flick BTW!

dParis
02-21-2012, 09:16 AM
You must be as old as me dP :-)

great flick BTW!
Whoa! Enough crazy talk! But, yeah early 40s. Feel like 20s though, save for a few aches and pains after playing.

On topic: Have you played the O3 Shark Hybrid? If so, how does it compare to the Waaaarrior? The Shark, surprisingly, has been the only O-port racquet, that I have tried, that had firm, lively response with solid feedback. So hard to control that power and deal with the balance, though. Hope the Warrior is closer to the Shark Hybrid than the Black I've been hearing it compared to. The Black exemplified all the negative characteristics of the O-port frames, imo.

JackB1
02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Whoa! Enough crazy talk! But, yeah early 40s. Feel like 20s though, save for a few aches and pains after playing.

On topic: Have you played the O3 Shark Hybrid? If so, how does it compare to the Waaaarrior? The Shark, surprisingly, has been the only O-port racquet, that I have tried, that had firm, lively response with solid feedback. So hard to control that power and deal with the balance, though. Hope the Warrior is closer to the Shark Hybrid than the Black I've been hearing it compared to. The Black exemplified all the negative characteristics of the O-port frames, imo.

never tried the Shark, but the Warrior feels nothing like the Black.

dParis
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
never tried the Shark, but the Warrior feels nothing like the Black.
That's good news, in my book. I'll have to add it to the (ever expanding) list of spring demos. Thing is, I don't have a problem with my current racquet. When I'm playing, other racquets are the furthest things from my mind. It's when I get home and open TT, I line up all the 'strange' racquets I want to hit...

Warrior
Prestige S
Pacific X-Force/Pro
Donnay Pro One
Organix 9

There will probably be more...

JackB1
02-21-2012, 11:49 AM
That's good news, in my book. I'll have to add it to the (ever expanding) list of spring demos. Thing is, I don't have a problem with my current racquet. When I'm playing, other racquets are the furthest things from my mind. It's when I get home and open TT, I line up all the 'strange' racquets I want to hit...

Warrior
Prestige S
Pacific X-Force/Pro
Donnay Pro One
Organix 9

I am the same way...when I'm playing I am not thinking about racquets at all....it's just all the rest of the time that I am :-). And if there's any leftover...strings.

Your list is pretty good, but I have to say the Prestige S really let me down. Could have been a great stick, but just needs more stiffness and power. The Rebel 98 is a much better choice in the "light players sticks" category. For some reason it also gave me shoulder pain (maybe from overswinging on serves?) and I found it very unfriendly when you miss the rather small sweetspot. But that's a "Prestige" for ya!

BC1
02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I am the same way...when I'm playing I am not thinking about racquets at all....it's just all the rest of the time that I am :-). And if there's any leftover...strings.

Your list is pretty good, but I have to say the Prestige S really let me down. Could have been a great stick, but just needs more stiffness and power. The Rebel 98 is a much better choice in the "light players sticks" category. For some reason it also gave me shoulder pain (maybe from overswinging on serves?) and I found it very unfriendly when you miss the rather small sweetspot. But that's a "Prestige" for ya!

I unfortunately DO think about other racquets while playing, and start wondering "what if" or how my shot may have been different with another racquet, or if i should switch to the other racquet in my bag. Its not healthy for my game thats for sure.

Ive been using the rebel 98 for two weeks now, and i too have developed some minor TE and shoulder pain. It just really became noticeable today. How is this possible with a 58 Flex racquet? I played with the pure drive strung with poly for two years and had no problems. The rebel can feel very harsh and stiff. How is that possible with a flexible racquet? On the otherhand the warrior has a stiffer rating of 66, but feels more comfortable.

I'm second guessing myself now and thinking i should have got the warrior. I also realized tonight that the rebel isnt as forgiving as i thought. It makes a difference when you don't have time to properly prepare and have to swing against balls coming at you FAST and hard. For me the 98 is a better singles stick, and i preferred the warrior for fast paced doubles.

JackB1
02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
I unfortunately DO think about other racquets while playing, and start wondering "what if" or how my shot may have been different with another racquet, or if i should switch to the other racquet in my bag. Its not healthy for my game thats for sure.

Ive been using the rebel 98 for two weeks now, and i too have developed some minor TE and shoulder pain. It just really became noticeable today. How is this possible with a 58 Flex racquet? I played with the pure drive strung with poly for two years and had no problems. The rebel can feel very harsh and stiff. How is that possible with a flexible racquet? On the otherhand the warrior has a stiffer rating of 66, but feels more comfortable.

I'm second guessing myself now and thinking i should have got the warrior. I also realized tonight that the rebel isnt as forgiving as i thought. It makes a difference when you don't have time to properly prepare and have to swing against balls coming at you FAST and hard. For me the 98 is a better singles stick, and i preferred the warrior for fast paced doubles.

I think you can get pain from any racquet that forces you to swing harder than normal or in a way that isn't natural for you. Remember too that Feld is measured in one spot on the throat, so a racquet could also be stiff throughout the upper frame while having a low stiffness rating. Also if you aren't hitting the center or sweetspot as much as normal, your elbow and shoulder will be more effected than usual. So yes, its possible.

atatu
02-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Warrior
Prestige S
Pacific X-Force/Pro
Donnay Pro One
Organix 9

Tried all of these save the Organix 9...and I have to say I went with the IG Prestige Pro instead, but the Donnay was pretty close.

BC1
02-22-2012, 04:53 AM
I think you can get pain from any racquet that forces you to swing harder than normal or in a way that isn't natural for you. Remember too that Feld is measured in one spot on the throat, so a racquet could also be stiff throughout the upper frame while having a low stiffness rating. Also if you aren't hitting the center or sweetspot as much as normal, your elbow and shoulder will be more effected than usual. So yes, its possible.

Jack thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. Just goes to show, you can't rely on numbers alone.

BC1
02-22-2012, 04:54 AM

Jack thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. Just goes to show, you can't rely on numbers alone.

(Sorry for double post)

Pacific
02-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Hi JackB1,

First of all, thanks for the thread. It has answered a lot of question I could have asked about the Warrior. But I still have one in mind. I play with the Tecnifibre Speedflex 300 and I would like your input regarding the difference of confort between these two sticks.

I know the RDC numbers show that the 300 is 72 in stifness versus 66 for the warrior but as you said earlier, numbers aren't always to be trusted :)

Thx !

JackB1
02-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi JackB1,

First of all, thanks for the thread. It has answered a lot of question I could have asked about the Warrior. But I still have one in mind. I play with the Tecnifibre Speedflex 300 and I would like your input regarding the difference of confort between these two sticks.

I know the RDC numbers show that the 300 is 72 in stifness versus 66 for the warrior but as you said earlier, numbers aren't always to be trusted :)

Thx !

I have never played with the Speedflex, but I can tell you the Warrior is quite comfortable and cushioned. I can't imagine it wouldn't feel more comfortable than the Speedflex.

JackB1
02-22-2012, 06:52 AM
So I purchased 2 brand new Warriors. First one I will string up with BHBR / Nvy at 52/54. The second I want to try with Beast/Nvy. The demo I tried had a full setup of Beast and I couldn't believe how nice the stringbed felt for a poly. Soft and nice pocketing with a decent amount of power. Not boardy and stiff like most polys

bigant2984
02-22-2012, 11:22 AM
jackb1, this review was great, enjoy your new toys

Al1978
02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I played with my new Warriors last night and am very glad I made the switch. Everything clicked right off the bat, and I'm coming from a very different sort of frame, the Dunlop 300. I'd grown quite used to it and played just fine with it, but the Warrior gives me just a little more free power with its slightly larger head and stiffer frame, with no loss in control. The grip shape fits me like a glove, whereas even with the Dunlop grip, which is on the boxy side, I found myself twisting the racquet in my hands between points to reposition my grip. I never thought about fine-tuning my grip during two hours of play. That made a noticeable difference in my game immediately. I can't remember the last time, in fact, when a new racquet felt so right from the first hit. Usually there's an adjustment period of at least a couple hours. But not with the Warrior. Forten Sweet, mid tension, grip it and rip it.

JackB1
02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Used my new Warrior tonite for the first time in a competitive league match and won 6-4,7-6 against an opponent that beat me last season 6-1, 7-6, so I was very pleased to get the win. The racquet had good power even with a poly/syngut hybrid. This racquet gives you oodles of spin. Some of my kick serves came up over head high, which was great to see. Very happy so far with my purchase.

klementine
02-22-2012, 07:07 PM
^ Wow Jack... I think (after reading many of your comments over the years) that you have played with just about everything.....

And I like that about you.... ;)

The Warrior100 intrigues me... it seems (spec-wise) like the o3 white.. Loved that frame. Don't know if you have any experience with that one.

I enjoy 100sq.in. frames that have some bend to them and that don't swing clumsy, like the ProOpen (kfactor+BLX varitety) and o3 white, in this regard.

Some questions for you on the Warrior100:
-Are you feeling the shaft bend at all on serve? Even the slightest?
-Does it have that 'sweet swing', where it feels compact like a 95 and under frame?
-Are you contemplating a switch?

goherd27
02-23-2012, 04:32 AM

Jack and I were discussing this issue on the boards the other night. I also have a sensitive elbow and shoulder. I love how I am playing with the Rebel but it frankly gives me tenderness in my shoulder and elbow. I have full gut set ups in both of mine. I tradtionally play with the Becker London and Melbourne. I think long term, I am going to have to make the switch back as much as I like my recent results with the Rebel 98.

JackB1
02-23-2012, 06:36 AM
^ Wow Jack... I think (after reading many of your comments over the years) that you have played with just about everything.....

And I like that about you.... ;)

The Warrior100 intrigues me... it seems (spec-wise) like the o3 white.. Loved that frame. Don't know if you have any experience with that one.

I enjoy 100sq.in. frames that have some bend to them and that don't swing clumsy, like the ProOpen (kfactor+BLX varitety) and o3 white, in this regard.

Some questions for you on the Warrior100:
-Are you feeling the shaft bend at all on serve? Even the slightest?
-Does it have that 'sweet swing', where it feels compact like a 95 and under frame?
-Are you contemplating a switch?

Yes I am seriously contemplating a switch.

The Warrior is nothing like the White (which I played for about a month). Heavier swingweight and not as head heavy feeling. It also doesn't feel as flimsy as the White and not as powerful. Just much more solid feeling with lots more plowthru.

About the shaft bend, I will have to pay more attention next time to that, but I didn't notice anything so far that I recall. I just notice a cushioned response with nice comfort, but not overly flexy at all...middle of the road.

I didn't know if it "feels compact" or not. It feels like a 100" frame :-). That may be a personal subjective thing. It feels very similar to my Becker Pro and the Speed 315 if that helps.

JackB1
02-25-2012, 07:22 PM
just another update.

been playing the Warrior with poly/syngut hybrid the past week and it works pretty well in this frame. You get lots of control with a poly and it tames a lot of the power and adds more spin. Really enjoying this frame a lot. The specs seem custom designed for me and it just seems to fit me like a glove. Seems like you can really influence the power level a lot with different strings and tension. Everyone should be able to dial in the level that works best for them.

RollTrackTake
02-27-2012, 01:11 PM
just another update.

been playing the Warrior with poly/syngut hybrid the past week and it works pretty well in this frame. You get lots of control with a poly and it tames a lot of the power and adds more spin. Really enjoying this frame a lot. The specs seem custom designed for me and it just seems to fit me like a glove. Seems like you can really influence the power level a lot with different strings and tension. Everyone should be able to dial in the level that works best for them.

Jack B I see your avatar has changed & the BBDC Pros up in the for sale section. What was the determining factors in making your switch?

athiker
02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm guessing maybe the slightly lighter swingweight? Does it feel a little quicker?

JackB1
02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Jack B I see your avatar has changed & the BBDC Pros up in the for sale section. What was the determining factors in making your switch?

Just a couple of minor reasons...

1) swingweight and overall weight is PERFECT for me with no need to add leadtape (DCP needed a little)

2) Prince gripsize is more to my liking versus the Becker shape

3) I like the Warrior cosmetics better

4) I like the Prince name over the Becker name

JackB1
02-27-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm guessing maybe the slightly lighter swingweight? Does it feel a little quicker?

Its actually heavier and has a heavier swingweight than the Becker, believe it or not. But that's what I like about it :-)

athiker
02-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Its actually heavier and has a heavier swingweight than the Becker, believe it or not. But that's what I like about it :-)

Interesting, so the TW average specs don't seem accurate to you? Unless I'm off I'm seeing 327 sw, 11.1 static and 3 HL for BBDC Pro and 319 sw, 11.0 and 4HL Prince EXO3 Warrior. 327 to 319 is a decent amount to be off, much less actually somewhat reversed if that's the case. I didn't look at TWU yet.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_Delta_Core_Pro/descpageRCVOLKL-BDCPRO.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Prince_EXO3_Warrior_100/descpageRCPRINCE-XOW100.html

JackB1
02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Interesting, so the TW average specs don't seem accurate to you? Unless I'm off I'm seeing 327 sw, 11.1 static and 3 HL for BBDC Pro and 319 sw, 11.0 and 4HL Prince EXO3 Warrior. 327 to 319 is a decent amount to be off, much less actually somewhat reversed if that's the case. I didn't look at TWU yet.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_Delta_Core_Pro/descpageRCVOLKL-BDCPRO.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Prince_EXO3_Warrior_100/descpageRCPRINCE-XOW100.html

They are close, but according to the ones I have...the Warrior is 328 sw
and the DCP was 323. The Warrior definitely "feels" heavier when going from one to the other. I have learned over the years that TW's published specs can be off by quite a bit.

srvnvly
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
They are close, but according to the ones I have...the Warrior is 328 sw
and the DCP was 323. The Warrior definitely "feels" heavier when going from one to the other. I have learned over the years that TW's published specs can be off by quite a bit.

Jack - how does the Warrior compare to the Steam, Juice or London? There's a new Pacific Fast Pro racquet that looks intriguing; thx

JackB1
02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Jack - how does the Warrior compare to the Steam, Juice or London? There's a new Pacific Fast Pro racquet that looks intriguing; thx

That Pacific Fast has a 71 stiffness rating...definitely too high for me.

I only briefly demoed the Wilson's but the Warrior has a lot nicer feel then those 2. The Wilson's also had a little more power and the power wasn't as controllable as the Warrior. The London is a better comparison to the Warrior, but the Warrior is a little more user friendly and the stringbed is more predictable IMO. The London has a slightly more cushioned feel at impact and is a better "all court" racquet. The Warrior is primarily a baseline stick, but really does everything well.

French Edwards
02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Jack - just posted in another thread - am down to final two with Warrior as one of them. Let me know your thoughts?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=415079

JackB1
02-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Jack - just posted in another thread - am down to final two with Warrior as one of them. Let me know your thoughts?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=415079

I replied in that thread

Faithfulfather
03-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Dang it JackB1! I was perfectly happy with my Donnay Pro One until I read this thread. I was so intrigued with this racquet, I demoed it, and now have one in my bag. My racquet's strung weight is 11.15oz and 5HL. What is yours. Mine is strung with Tonic 16/Scorpion and has a overgrip.

JackB1
03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Dang it JackB1! I was perfectly happy with my Donnay Pro One until I read this thread. I was so intrigued with this racquet, I demoed it, and now have one in my bag. My racquet's strung weight is 11.05oz and 5HL. What is yours. Mine is strung with Tonic 16/Scorpion and has a overgrip.

I know what I'm talking about :-)

The Warrior is the first racquet I am playing (for now) with Poly mains. I have it now with Prince Beast/Prince Attack and its great. I liked the demo with full Beast and so I went with the hybrid to soften it up a little and add a little more pop. Mine weighs 328 grams total with overgrip.

How is it playing with that gut/poly hybrid ?

McNasty
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
I just had a chance to hit with the Warrior yesterday(thanks Jack) and all i can say is WOW. Coming from a PD, i found the lighter swingweight just perfect, i was ripping backhands with incredible control. It had a little less power than the PD but much more control. I see how it progresses over a longer period of time, but as of now i love this stick.

Faithfulfather
03-02-2012, 08:59 AM
How is it playing with that gut/poly hybrid ?

Haven't had a chance to hit with it yet. I will Sunday and report back.

BC1
03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Jack - I like the warrior as well and have been thinking about getting one. However, I was wondering if you ever tried the Warrior TEAM. I did last night on a whim and was very surprised. Loved it. It felt very similar to the regular warrior but with it being more HH and with the lower weight, everything just seemed even better. Power, comfort, control all felt perfect. It did not feel like a sub 11oz racquet at all and the SW is listed at 322 which is not bad, and higher then the SW TW has listed for the reg warrior. Mine with overgrip and dampner came in around 10.08 oz.

Anyway, I was wondering if you ever tried the Team? and if you haven't encourage you to do so. I'd love to see a side by side comparison from you since you are so familiar with the warrior. Thanks.

JackB1
03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Jack - I like the warrior as well and have been thinking about getting one. However, I was wondering if you ever tried the Warrior TEAM. I did last night on a whim and was very surprised. Loved it. It felt very similar to the regular warrior but with it being more HH and with the lower weight, everything just seemed even better. Power, comfort, control all felt perfect. It did not feel like a sub 11oz racquet at all and the SW is listed at 322 which is not bad, and higher then the SW TW has listed for the reg warrior. Mine with overgrip and dampner came in around 10.08 oz.

Anyway, I was wondering if you ever tried the Team? and if you haven't encourage you to do so. I'd love to see a side by side comparison from you since you are so familiar with the warrior. Thanks.

Have not tried the Team model yet, but not sure if there's a point to me trying it? It seems very similar but lighter and more HH. I will if I get a chance, but I can't see myself switching to it. I think the beam is also slightly thicker so it may be slightly more powerful.?

BC1
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Have not tried the Team model yet, but not sure if there's a point to me trying it? It seems very similar but lighter and more HH. I will if I get a chance, but I can't see myself switching to it. I think the beam is also slightly thicker so it may be slightly more powerful.?

Jack,
Thanks and yes, the spec differences you mentioned are true, however I was surprised at how much I liked it and in a way preferred the Team. By looking at specs alone I NEVER would have thought that would be the case. Just goes to show, once again, you can't always go by numbers alone. It may be slightly more powerful, but balls never flew on me, and the control and ease of play seemed better. Anyway, don't rule it out. If I had to pick one of the two right now, I would have a hard time. Both great racquets.

JackB1
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Jack,
Thanks and yes, the spec differences you mentioned are true, however I was surprised at how much I liked it and in a way preferred the Team. By looking at specs alone I NEVER would have thought that would be the case. Just goes to show, once again, you can't always go by numbers alone. It may be slightly more powerful, but balls never flew on me, and the control and ease of play seemed better. Anyway, don't rule it out. If I had to pick one of the two right now, I would have a hard time. Both great racquets.

I'll try it soon, but I hope I don't like it, as I just bought 2 new Warriors :-)

Faithfulfather
03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
I'll try it soon, but I hope I don't like it, as I just bought 2 new Warriors :-)

I refuse to hit with anymore racquets. As soon, as I bought 3 Donnay racquets, you posted this review. Every freaking time I think I have found my racquet, some person posts another great racquet review. Of course my idiotic self has to try that said racquet and "BAM", I have another racquet in my bag. Give my wallet a chance to warm-up from my butt before you post another racquet review. Geez......My wife is getting ****ed. Her favorite quote is "why do you need so many, you can only play with one at a time!" Women8-)!

Dgdavid
03-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I refuse to hit with anymore racquets. As soon, as I bought 3 Donnay racquets, you posted this review. Every freaking time I think I have found my racquet, some person posts another great racquet review. Of course my idiotic self has to try that said racquet and "BAM", I have another racquet in my bag. Give my wallet a chance to warm-up from my butt before you post another racquet review. Geez......My wife is getting ****ed. Her favorite quote is "why do you need so many, you can only play with one at a time!" Women8-)!

that made me laugh, I have the exact same situation right down to the quote from the wife! I hide them in my boot and now sell the surplus ones in here so she can't see them on that auction site. Still want to try Warrior 100, have another go with IG Rad OS, now the Warrior 100 Team (BC1's fault), Volkl PB 10 (Racketfever's fault for his new thread). If I can go one week without a new frame, that is progress! :)

Dgdavid
03-03-2012, 02:37 PM
BC1, are you going to switch from your Rebel? I have discovered the Rebel 98 is not more forgiving than my Prestige Midplus so is not the "lighter, more forgiving but still solid" alternative I am looking for.

Got the Warrior 100 demo today as I am just delaying the inevitable by waiting any longer! In you "man" thread, you seem to prefer the Warrior Team. The big thing for me is solidity on impact. Does the Team give you that as much as the regular Warrior (which I have not experienced yet)? What would you lose by selecting the Team over the full Warrior?

BC1
03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
BC1, are you going to switch from your Rebel? I have discovered the Rebel 98 is not more forgiving than my Prestige Midplus so is not the "lighter, more forgiving but still solid" alternative I am looking for.

Got the Warrior 100 demo today as I am just delaying the inevitable by waiting any longer! In you "man" thread, you seem to prefer the Warrior Team. The big thing for me is solidity on impact. Does the Team give you that as much as the regular Warrior (which I have not experienced yet)? What would you lose by selecting the Team over the full Warrior?

Dgdavid, seems like we're both searching for the same racquet, and answers. I am actually wondering about the same questions as you. I need to demo them both side by side to see for sure which one is best for me and what their differences are. I played with the regular warrior first. Liked i alot, the went to the rebel, and a a brief stint with the pd2012, and now the team. It seemed as solid as the reg warrior on most shots. But to be honest i myself,am wondering what the difference and benefits are for both racquets. I now have both demos in my bag and hope to put them to the test soon. The weather is not cooperating though. I will report back as oon as i can.

As far as the rebel goes, you are right, its not always easy, but it is still a great racquet. Im holding on to it for those days when my game is on. Ive played some great tennis with it, but you got to hit the ball right, and u are rewarded when u do.

JackB1
03-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Just a little update....

really liking the Prince Beast / Attack hybrid combo in this racquet. Surprising power and touch for a poly hybrid.
Highly recommend anyone with the Warrior try out this combo.

Still loving life with the Warrior. It just seems to do everything well for me....serve, volley, groundstrokes. Its also very accurate when going for the lines. Cant think of anything negative to say about it :)

BC1
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
^^^^Jack,
Good to hear. Im hoping to end up with this racquet or the team. I say hoping because i want one of these to help me get over the pure drive 2012. And thats not going to be an easy task. I am having a a very heard time breaking away from the pd. One of my priorities in a racqiet is a strong serve, power is key, plus conrtol and consistency. The pd is great on serves, but im not as sure with the warriors. From my experience they were good, but not extraordinary. Couldnt tell much difference between the warrior or warior team. But i havent spent a lot of time trying to perfect my serve with the warriors either, so im not sure of their potential.

What is your experience serving with the warrior? Did string set up make a big difference? How would you rate the warrior on serving: 1 - being the worst, 10 - being the best serving racquet ever.

Fwiw- I'm wanting to switch to the warrior for its comfort, flex, and all around playing characteristics. The pd stands out in some areas, mainly pure power, spin abilty, and sometimes the stifness of the pd is a benefit, you can always depend on it to get you out of trouble. However the warrior is a totaly dfferent experience and i prefer the feel and control i get with the warrior, plus i like the look and thinner beam ofthe warrior, it dosent seem as thick and bulky as the pd. If i knew for sure id be able to play a lot better with one over the other, it would be simple, but i think over time it would equal out.

BC1
03-03-2012, 09:22 PM
TW, will you be doing a written or video review of the warrior 100, and the power meter charts and ratings? This is such a popular segment of racquets. We value your reviews!!
thank you!!

JackB1
03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
^^^^Jack,
Good to hear. Im hoping to end up with this racquet or the team. I say hoping because i want one of these to help me get over the pure drive 2012. And thats not going to be an easy task. I am having a a very heard time breaking away from the pd. One of my priorities in a racqiet is a strong serve, power is key, plus conrtol and consistency. The pd is great on serves, but im not as sure with the warriors. From my experience they were good, but not extraordinary. Couldnt tell much difference between the warrior or warior team. But i havent spent a lot of time trying to perfect my serve with the warriors either, so im not sure of their potential.

What is your experience serving with the warrior? Did string set up make a big difference? How would you rate the warrior on serving: 1 - being the worst, 10 - being the best serving racquet ever.

Fwiw- I'm wanting to switch to the warrior for its comfort, flex, and all around playing characteristics. The pd stands out in some areas, mainly pure power, spin abilty, and sometimes the stifness of the pd is a benefit, you can always depend on it to get you out of trouble. However the warrior is a totaly dfferent experience and i prefer the feel and control i get with the warrior, plus i like the look and thinner beam ofthe warrior, it dosent seem as thick and bulky as the pd. If i knew for sure id be able to play a lot better with one over the other, it would be simple, but i think over time it would equal out.

The Warrior is excellent on serve. I would say 9/10. But remember it always takes some time to hone your serve with a new racquet.

JackB1
03-04-2012, 09:13 AM
TW, will you be doing a written or video review of the warrior 100, and the power meter charts and ratings? This is such a popular segment of racquets. We value your reviews!!
thank you!!

TW's review should be out soon, but the most important reviewer should be YOU.

Dgdavid
03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Played with the Warrior 100 demo in a singles match tonight but a friendly. Stepped straight into the knock up having never hit it before and with a grip size too small (only demo I could get).
It was an interesting experience and the first time I have played a full singles match recently without going back to my IG Prestige MP from the start of the second set. Although I lost the first set tonight (as I have in my last five matches with new rackets), this time I didn’t switch because the racket felt good.

The guy I played against is a heavy hitter (groundstrokes and serves). I have recently played "first sets" with a Prestige S, Rebel 98 and Prestige Pro but have owned and played with AeroPro GT, IG Extreme MP, Speed 300 and Exo3 Tour 100 (16x18) plus a short stint with the IG Radical Pro.

First things first, the most important characteristic for me is the stability and solidity and I have liked other rackets until facing heavy hitters. Tonight, the Warrior did really well for me. In fact, it felt as solid as my Prestige. I am amazed really. I was in the first set but lost it 4-6 before going on to win the next two 6-2, 6-4. A lot of defence, a lot of good serve returns etc and a feeling that when I dial in fully, I will do very well with this.
Forehand was fine, backhand was acceptable (but moving to double handed anyway), volleys were good. Serve was not good but I literally hit 12 serves with the Warrior ever before starting the match and it is very different to the Prestige MP so not worried. I was knackered in the 3rd set but the Warrior was easier on me than the Prestige.

The only negative so far is I beat this guy 6-2, 6-1 with the Prestige MP so the result tonight (4-6, 6-2, 6-4) does not bear comparision BUT it was literally first time out against a strong player who played well, playing with a very different racket and I am sure I would not have been in the game with the Prestige S or Rebel 98. And to be fair, the first game score did not reflect how close it actually was. I am wondering how I will do if I can get fully dialled in with it.

To be continued. BC1, please take a sickie tomorrow and test that Warrior Team version again!!

Dgdavid
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
oh, I had no "flyers" either. I guess this means it is forgiving because I had a few with the Rebel 98 (but none with the Prestige).

Al1978
03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm enjoying the Warrior very much. It plays just fine stock, but I loathe synthetic grips, so I replaced the stock grip with leather. I also added three grams of lead as a counterweight, but out of habit more than necessity. I string mine with cheap Forten Sweet at mid-tension and don't think I'll bother experimenting with string changes any time soon. I've made my fair share of racquet switches in the past few years, and frankly I've grown tired of over-analyzing specs and reviews to find the perfect frame. I'm enjoying just playing and being content with the racquet in my hands. Like with cameras, the best racquet is the one you have with you.

JackB1
03-04-2012, 04:24 PM
oh, I had no "flyers" either. I guess this means it is forgiving because I had a few with the Rebel 98 (but none with the Prestige).

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Warrior! How did you have it strung?

How does it compare to the Rebel 98 and the Prestige S? I also tried those 2.
The Prestige I didn't care for much. Too low powered and small sweetspot that I seemed to miss a lot, sending loads of bad vibrations down my arm. The Rebel 98 was better, but seemed to lack "ooomph". The Warrior has everything the other 2 didnt.

Dgdavid
03-05-2012, 01:19 AM
It was strung as standard in the UK with Prince Syn Gut at mid tension. No real issues with that.

The Warrior is definitely more forgiving that the S and Rebel 98 but to be fair, they are definitely more player stick orientated than the Warrior. Warrior definitely excels defensively versus these two and got a very good test yesterday. The solidity and stability is not the same with the S and Rebel. However, I have not been ultra aggressive with the Warrior yet but have a feeling it will do well. We will see tonight as I have another singles friendly tonight.

As far as the Rebel 98 is concerned, I am going to let that go and will probably sell it to a member at the club who wants one. Doesn't give me anything that the Warrior or Prestige is not already better at (for me).

The S might go as well only because when I consciously played a more spin orientated game with the Midplus, it was more spin friendly than I thought (stupidly, I never thought to do that as I do well flat with it). If anything, the Warrior played closer to the solidity of the Prestige than the S did. When I was a bit off centre with the Warrior, it still went over the net and in. The S dropped them at my feet.

Tonight I will be playing with the Warrior with some actual familiarity with it so it will be good to see. The opponent is a more crafty, slice and drop shots guy so it will be a different environment. I am not expecting Prestige level touch and subtlety but want to see if it has enough of both to consider a switch. Serve should improve too.

Dgdavid
03-05-2012, 01:48 AM
jack, what does the Beast/Attack @ 53/55 give you over the standard Prince Syn Gut? Is this your string set-up now or are you still testing it?

BC1
03-05-2012, 06:23 AM
To be continued. BC1, please take a sickie tomorrow and test that Warrior Team version again!!

Dgdavid, thanks for your review of the warrior - keep the updates coming. Unfortunately I can't do a "sickie" today, but hopefully I will be able to put the racquets through an appropriate test either tonight or tomorrow night. I will let you know. I plan on using the standard Warrior again, since I've played with the team during my last two matches. And if possible I will rotate them in and out, or maybe during the match to get a good feel of them both.

The warrior demo I have is strung with a hyprid of prince poly spin 3d, and prince syn gut. From my previous hit, I think it is a good set-up, except personally I usually prefer lux alu rough at a low tension for most racquets, and I think that string would do well in the warrior. The Warrior Team is strung with prince xx spin. And I actually like the feel and the performace a lot - not sure how much of that is due to the strings or the racquet. And that's the problem. It is so hard to do a comparision of racquets when the string set-up is different.

Dgdavid
03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Well spank my butt and call me Shirley. I am switching and staying switched, check the sig. No doubt whatsoever. Second match with it, straight sets. Hugely confident with attacking and defending. Serve fell into a lovely groove, touch shots were there, groundstokes, volleys the lot.

I knew that there was a racket out there that would make me feel like this. Big tick in all areas whereas even the mighty Prestige MP had some compromise areas for me. All the racket switching has been worth it. I even love the strings and feel no desire to change strings, add lead or anything. Tested against strong power hitter and crafty/skillful player now. Delighted and have confirmed my order for two. The rest are up for sale.

JackB1, I could kiss you. Wouldn't have even picked it up without your review and enthusiasm. The snob in me had me only considering Prestiges and such but now I've switched.

Racketfever, Skeeter etc, if you are reading this, just give it a go for a couple of sets. BC1, come join the club.

All that remains is for a Prince Warrior 100 owners clubs to be created. Go on Jack, the honour is definitely yours

JackB1
03-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Well spank my butt and call me Shirley. I am switching and staying switched, check the sig. No doubt whatsoever. Second match with it, straight sets. Hugely confident with attacking and defending. Serve fell into a lovely groove, touch shots were there, groundstokes, volleys the lot.

I knew that there was a racket out there that would make me feel like this. Big tick in all areas whereas even the mighty Prestige MP had some compromise areas for me. All the racket switching has been worth it. I even love the strings and feel no desire to change strings, add lead or anything. Tested against strong power hitter and crafty/skillful player now. Delighted and have confirmed my order for two. The rest are up for sale.

JackB1, I could kiss you. Wouldn't have even picked it up without your review and enthusiasm. The snob in me had me only considering Prestiges and such but now I've switched.

Racketfever, Skeeter etc, if you are reading this, just give it a go for a couple of sets. BC1, come join the club.

All that remains is for a Prince Warrior 100 owners clubs to be created. Go on Jack, the honour is definitely yours

A "virtual handshake" will do just fine thank you :-)

Its great when a racquet just fits you like a glove. I feel that way about the Warrior. I agree with you that it does everything well. It's marketed a a "power game" stick, but I have no trouble with droppers, touch volleys, lobs, the works. Glad I was able to point you in the right direction. :-)

As fas as a club thread, lets just keep this one going!

JackB1
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Hey DG...how do you compare the Rebel98 and the Prestige S to the Warrior? I found the Rebel slightly easier to use than the S due to more power and more forgiving stringbed. I liked both somewhat, but they were both trumped by the Warrior!

Also, since we seem to like similar racquets I am curious if you ever have tried the Yonex VCore 98D?
It is another racquet I was VERY fond of. Only negatives were the horrible Yonex butt cap (no flare) and the weird square hoop shape.

skeeter
03-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Had a Prestige S and two other racquets coming for a demo, and just changed out one of them for the Warrior. So, will give it a whirl and put it up against my current IG MP and the demo S (have a Donnay Pro One also on the list). Thanks for the advice (and always appreciate Jack's insights on these boards, but miss those post battles with Maverick! :)

JackB1
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Had a Prestige S and two other racquets coming for a demo, and just changed out one of them for the Warrior. So, will give it a whirl and put it up against my current IG MP and the demo S (have a Donnay Pro One also on the list). Thanks for the advice (and always appreciate Jack's insights on these boards, but miss those post battles with Maverick! :)

You're gonna love it Skeeter!

The Prestige S is simply a lighter and SLIGHTLY more powerful Prestige. Same small sweet spot and same control oriented response.

lol about those "battles" with Maverick. He stopped responding to me though when I talked about the negatives of the Organix line, so the fun was over anyway. His "act" was getting old anyway and he got his due. This is a friendly community and not his (or anyone else's) podium.

BC1
03-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Sign me up! Im 100% on board. Played three sets tonight with the warrior, not the team, and loved it. And the results were very good against two opponents, one who is much better then me - usually. Your post pumped me up, and the timing was perfect. I got it on my phone on the way to the courts. I dont have time now to write a full report, but i will in the morning or later tonight. I will do my best to compare it to the team and rebel 98. Thanks to jack, you, and all the others for all the posts and info on this great racquet. I think we are all going to be very happy!!

JackB1
03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Welcome fellow "WARRIORS !!!. "Come out to plaaa-aaaay"

http://youtu.be/dDH9Jq5AWkQ

http://www.psp-themes.net/data/media/5/THE%20WARRIORS.jpg

Let this from now on be the Official Home of "The Warriors" and owners of this great new racquet from Prince! Please call this place your home and share your experiences and setups with your fellow "Warriors".

My preferred setup is currently Prince Beast 17 mains @ 54 / Prince Premiere Attack 17 @ 56.

BC1
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Welcome fellow "WARRIORS !!!. "Come out to plaaa-assay"

Let this from now on be the Official Home of "The Warriors" and owners of this great new racquet from Prince! Please call this place your home and share your experiences and setups with your fellow "Warriors".

My preferred setup is currently Prince Beast 17 mains @ 54 / Prince Premiere Attack 17 @ 56.

Fellow WARRIORS, i proudly join this fine group...

My current Warrior (which is a demo) is set up with prince poly 3d spin/syn gut, however i will be searching for something different when I buy, either full bed of alu power rough 16 at 56; attack/beast hybrid at 56/54; or xx spin 16 at58. Not sure how to go with this.

I would like to know from fellow warriors their string set-ups are as well, and their racquet weight if known. The reason I ask, is that it feels like my demo is on the light side, and Jack has said his feels a little heavier then spec.

Faithfulfather
03-05-2012, 09:15 PM
My setup is Tonic 16 mains @ 58 / Scorpion 16L crosses @ 55. 11.2oz and 5 HL.

skeeter
03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
You're gonna love it Skeeter!

The Prestige S is simply a lighter and SLIGHTLY more powerful Prestige. Same small sweet spot and same control oriented response.

lol about those "battles" with Maverick. He stopped responding to me though when I talked about the negatives of the Organix line, so the fun was over anyway. His "act" was getting old anyway and he got his due. This is a friendly community and not his (or anyone else's) podium.

Agree, the constant "attitude" thing was just getting old. Much prefer solid debate and discussion, but with courtesy and respect.

So, I've always been somewhat partial to thinner beams (fairly recent sticks included the Donnay 94 and 99, Prince EXO 3 Tour 100, and now Head Prestige IG MP) and note that the Warrior is a bit thicker than anything I've played with before. Is it noticeable, or do you just get used to it? No twist weight issues? Also, can anyone compare it to the EXO 3 Tour 100? I actually enjoyed many things about that racquet, but ultimately left it due to the overly muted feel and inherent (to me) lack of power. I've also been more of a 18x20 person, so will be fun to experiment with the more open patterns (both the S and the Warrior).

Dgdavid
03-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Hey DG...how do you compare the Rebel98 and the Prestige S to the Warrior? I found the Rebel slightly easier to use than the S due to more power and more forgiving stringbed. I liked both somewhat, but they were both trumped by the Warrior!

Also, since we seem to like similar racquets I am curious if you ever have tried the Yonex VCore 98D?
It is another racquet I was VERY fond of. Only negatives were the horrible Yonex butt cap (no flare) and the weird square hoop shape.

I didn't try the Yonex but now not inclined to try anything else now. Very happy with what I have finally.

The Rebel 98 was more forgiving but I found the Prestige S to be more accurate but maybe because it retains some familiarity with the Midplus. I also found I had the odd flyer with the Rebel which is rare for me. The Rebel was strung with Syn Gut Duraflex which didn't seem to suit it although it is spot on in the Warrior.

If I had to play with only one of the two, I would go with the S because I would get more points from the accuracy than lose over the marginal difference in forgiveness. I would still far prefer the Midplus over both.

Dgdavid
03-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Agree, the constant "attitude" thing was just getting old. Much prefer solid debate and discussion, but with courtesy and respect.

So, I've always been somewhat partial to thinner beams (fairly recent sticks included the Donnay 94 and 99, Prince EXO 3 Tour 100, and now Head Prestige IG MP) and note that the Warrior is a bit thicker than anything I've played with before. Is it noticeable, or do you just get used to it? No twist weight issues? Also, can anyone compare it to the EXO 3 Tour 100? I actually enjoyed many things about that racquet, but ultimately left it due to the overly muted feel and inherent (to me) lack of power. I've also been more of a 18x20 person, so will be fun to experiment with the more open patterns (both the S and the Warrior).

I was exactly the same with the thinner beams and had doubts over the Warrior when it was just in hand before I played although it felt nice, it just looked a bit thick. Totally dispelled in play though, not like a thin beam at all. The solidity and stability was the first thing I noticed.

I had the Exo3 Tour 100 (16 x 18 ) and it was very nice but I had a little difficulty flattening out and going for winners. Someone in the Exo3 100 thread said it is a racket for working the point and that is very true. The Warrior can work the point or go for aggressive winners.

Dgdavid
03-06-2012, 02:37 AM
I mean "not like a thick beam"

BC1
03-06-2012, 04:58 AM
I mean "not like a thick beam"

David and skeeter, i agree with dgdavids comments on beam. It looks and feels and plays like a much smaller beam then what the specs indicate. The pure drives and pro opens seem and look much thicker and feel more cumbersome imo. That is one reason i like the warrior. It has the benefits of a thicker beam and none of the negatives. That may have something to do with the flex as well. It just fells like more of a player type racquet.

JackB1
03-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Fellow WARRIORS, i proudly join this fine group...

My current Warrior (which is a demo) is set up with prince poly 3d spin/syn gut, however i will be searching for something different when I buy, either full bed of alu power rough 16 at 56; attack/beast hybrid at 56/54; or xx spin 16 at58. Not sure how to go with this.

I would like to know from fellow warriors their string set-ups are as well, and their racquet weight if known. The reason I ask, is that it feels like my demo is on the light side, and Jack has said his feels a little heavier then spec.

my demo was a hit heavy, but both my newly purchased Warriors come it at 328 grams fully dressed.

JackB1
03-06-2012, 07:34 AM

I don't notice the Warrior's beam looking or feeling too thick or clunky. Unless you start framing slices or kick serves, its a non issue. More of a mental issue IMO.

BC1
03-06-2012, 07:41 AM
First a little recap... I have been playing for the past four of so weeks with the Warrior - then the Rebel 98 - then the Warrior Team, and finally again last night with the Warrior. I've decided to go with the Warrior as my main racquet, but will definitely hold on to the Rebel 98 and keep it in my bag.

The Warrior wins out over the Warrior Team due to the fact that I think it holds up better against stronger hard hitting opponents, and some of my shots - specifically serves, overheads and volleys were better. It wins out over the Rebel 98 becaue it is more forgiving and more comfortable.

WARRIOR TEAM - The Team is a great racquet and it was a close call. My consistency on ground strokes was actually better with the team. With the Team you don't have to have a full swing to get a lot out of it. When playing with the Team all shots seemed super easy and control and power were good - but nothing stood out as amazing - just all really good, which is nothing to complain about. However I think the regular Warrior will give me more of an opportunity to improve my game and win against higher ranked opponents.

REBEL 98 - If I was willing to work a little harder, possibly get some lessons, and wasn't looking for immediate gratification I would probably stick with the Rebel 98. It however is, as mentioned many times, more of a players racquet and is less forgiving and less powerful when hit outside the sweetspot. And unfortunately I need that extra help from a racquet. But the pinpoint control of the Rebel is exceptional. I will be keeping this one and when feeling superior I will use it.

THE WARRIOR - The Warrior is a good combination of everything - it has plenty of power on tap, decent control, not too stiff or too flexible. But to me it really shines in the comfort area. I think it is the most comfortable racquet I've hit with. It was NEVER harsh regardless of where you hit it on the racquet face, or even when returning super powerful serves or overheads. It is far more comfortable then the Rebel 98. It is also super stable and very forgiving.

IMO the Warriors main strengths were: Serves, Volleys, Super Stability, Power potential, and Great Forgiveness.

The main weakness (for me) was: Groundstroke Consistency - If I wasn't being aggressive with my shots, I found balls would fly out wide or long more then I would like. I think some of this might have to do with the strings or too low tension. However, when I was more aggressive and took full strokes - or added decent top-spin, I had good control.
Softness - at times it felt a little too soft (flexible), and I missed some of the stifness you get with say the pd, but I believe this will just take some time to get use to, and maybe a different/stiffer string set-up will give it a crisper feel. on the plus side, this softness is what helps make the racquet so comfortable and a pleasure to use.

My Ratings:
Comfort 83 - Amazing comfort - somewhat muted but not too much.
Touch/Feel 79 - Touch was good, but could use more feedback.
Serves 83 - Fantastic - as good as pd for me after a few practices.
Groundstrokes 80 - good power, but consistency was off unless I hit aggressive or with top spin.
Returns 83 - Best aspect of the racquet - I could hit back super powerful shots with ease- using their power, and on easy serves I could put away with ease and place returns where I wanted.
Slice 82 - Good - I found myself slicing with ease and more often then normal.
Topspin 82 - Very good potential, I'm not much of a topspinner, but if you have a topspin swing, I'm sure it would be great.
Volleys 83 - Loved volleying with this racquet, better then any I've tried and my volleys were stronger and better place then normal
Overall 82

Overall great racquet - a definite option to the PD or Pro Open, or any other in that category. To me it has more of a players feel and is less stiff then the others, and the beam "seems" a little thinner. Hope this helps.

BC1
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
my demo was a hit heavy, but both my newly purchased Warriors come it at 328 grams fully dressed.

Jack, Thanks. And thanks for the Warrior youtube link in the earlier post. I played some of the Warrior movie clips - brings back memories - great movie!! I'd love to see it again, need to try to find it online.

skeeter
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't notice the Warrior's beam looking or feeling too thick or clunky. Unless you start framing slices or kick serves, its a non issue. More of a mental issue IMO.

Thanks Jack, DG, BC for comments. Any of you guys use a 1HBH? Curious how this performs for one-handies. It's one of the things I really like about the IG PMP with it's smaller head size and stability. But I also did ok with the EXO 3 Tour (also a 100si) as well.

BC1
03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks Jack, DG, BC for comments. Any of you guys use a 1HBH? Curious how this performs for one-handies. It's one of the things I really like about the IG PMP with it's smaller head size and stability. But I also did ok with the EXO 3 Tour (also a 100si) as well.

Yes, I have a one hbh. I think it's fine. It worked fairly well for me last night, and my backhand is definitely not my strength. I didn't really notice a big difference over my pd or others in its class. However, I haven't had a whole lot of play time with it yet either - I think it will only get better.

McNasty
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
In my one hit with this stick my one hbh was absolutely on fire. It just seemed that i could swing through the ball much more than my pd, and the control and placement where sweet. I play the same individual every week and he was just blown away with what i was able to do on my backhand(which is not my strongest shot). I'm looking forward to see if that continues this week.

aryansmith
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd like to thank the guys posting info here. You where a big help in my recent purchase of two.. I'd like to give you my feedback which may help others having tried every stick I can lately to help my shoulder and to find something I can stick with for the USTA league season. I do my best not to change sticks once it starts. Sorry if I ramble a bit.

My progression over the last few years has been Prince EX03 Black==>Prince EX03 Tour 100==>Babolat PDRGT+==>ProKennex 7G/5KiX to the Prince Warrior.

Having played with this for a few weeks now I feel safe in giving it my thumbs up! I think it's a great all court frame. Mine came in weight wise at 11.5oz strung which surprised me. I generally stick to racquets that are 11.5-12oz and a bit higher SW so this was an experiment for me so I expected a bit lower weight wise. Keep in mind here guys I can't stand the PDRGT standard which would be a competitor to this stick. I find it to feel harsh and very hollow.

All that said the Warrior felt very light at first but don't let it fool you. Once I started hitting with it either from the baseline or on volleys the stick was super stable and really helped my topspin and racquet head speed. My volleys where super crisp and touch drops much better then my PK7G I've been using. It does have a bump in power compared to the EXO3 Tour but did not seem to lack the control that the EXO3 Black had where you would spray a bit. To me it feels like they combined the best of both those sticks to make the Warrior. The best part about it though is it's so easy on the shoulder/arm that I literally had no soreness after playing which is a godsend lately.

I feel this racquet is going to be one of those underrated gems. I have mine strung up at 56 using RPM Blast 16 and it's so plush.. I really did not expect to take to this stick so well and fast but here I am. Give it a demo and see what you think!

BC1
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Just weighed all the prince sticks I've been demoing. Here is what they came in at (strung, with wilson overgrip, and with the exo3 dampner):

Warrior - 11.5 oz / 326g
Rebel 98 - 11.04 oz / 323g
Warrior Team - 10.7 0z / 303g

Due to their different balances, the SW feels about the same on all of them. The Warrior is by far the most HL, 4-5pts hl, the Team is evenly balanced, and the Rebel 98 seems to be about 3pts hl.

Dgdavid
03-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Yes I am OHBH to and it improved enough for me to delay a planned transition to 2HBH. Compared to the PMP:

Backhand close drop shot - slightly better with Warrior (surprisingly)
Mid court to baseline Backhand slice - better with PMP but still dialling in Warrior (and it is still very good)
Top Spin backhand - far better with Warrior. This is the biggie for me as I tend to slice with PMP.
Emergency flick backhand - Warrior.
Deep defensive "looper" to recover position - PMP
Return of serve - even (again, surprisingly so I expect the Warrior will exceed as I get used to it.

This is quite a result for the Warrior as I've only played 5 sets with it.

Ironically, it is the 2HBH that it seems behind the PMP on. PMP feels more solid on 2HBH which is a feeling I need.

RollTrackTake
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM

After a lengthy racquet search I've settled down with the Pro 1 but the warrior looks very intriguing.
Skeeter I would like to hear your impressions of the Warrior vs the Pro 1.

Alzer
03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes I am OHBH to and it improved enough for me to delay a planned transition to 2HBH. Compared to the PMP:

Backhand close drop shot - slightly better with Warrior (surprisingly)
Mid court to baseline Backhand slice - better with PMP but still dialling in Warrior (and it is still very good)
Top Spin backhand - far better with Warrior. This is the biggie for me as I tend to slice with PMP.
Emergency flick backhand - Warrior.
Deep defensive "looper" to recover position - PMP
Return of serve - even (again, surprisingly so I expect the Warrior will exceed as I get used to it.

This is quite a result for the Warrior as I've only played 5 sets with it.

Ironically, it is the 2HBH that it seems behind the PMP on. PMP feels more solid on 2HBH which is a feeling I need.

So, after buying all those Prestige's\radical Pro you've gone with the Warrior! Interesting considering you seem to like the same sticks as myself. Just not sure I could take to the court with a light, fat, 100sq" frame :wink: Still, I reckon my club will get these in at some point so I will give it a spin (on the courts at the back ;) ). Out of interest, which club do you play at? I play at West Worthing Tennis club - do you know it?

Dgdavid
03-06-2012, 04:32 PM
So, after buying all those Prestige's\radical Pro you've gone with the Warrior! Interesting considering you seem to like the same sticks as myself. Just not sure I could take to the court with a light, fat, 100sq" frame :wink: Still, I reckon my club will get these in at some point so I will give it a spin (on the courts at the back ;) ). Out of interest, which club do you play at? I play at West Worthing Tennis club - do you know it?

The guy in the shop was chuckling when I bought the Warrior especially as the most recent racket before that from him was the Prestige Mid (not even the Midplus). I told him it was just for doubles and mix ins! I will paint it red and stencil "Prestige" on it so as not to be found out.

Interestingly, a lot of our members use a Head Ti.S6 (must be a job lot!) which looks much fatter to me. One of the top 3 uses an old Radical Flexpoint Team (280g, 102 sq inch). I am only one of two that use Prestige (until now of course).

Prestige is great (MP), far better than Radical Pro but everything is easy on the Warrior whether I am fresh or tired. Prestige is a monster until I get tired then it is hard work. I was looking for a lighter but still solid alternative and must admit, the Warrior was the last place I expected to find it but Jack's review made me try it and the experience did the rest. I will probably feel like a berk whenever people notice though!

I am at Walton on Thames Lawn Tennis Club. Been there nearly a year. We have indoor dome courts which is the clincher! Don't know West Worthing club, bit far south for me but looks very nice. Ours is a bit smaller (9 courts) with two Dome covered.

Alzer
03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
If you bought it from PVVP was it the big dude that served you? Cant see him using a "tweener" :) I actually quite like the paintwork on the frame, just do not like the shape etc... but need to look past this as could be missing a trick. Have you got your IG Prestige Pro up for sale yet? I could be interested in that... well I am interested but just trying to halt my racket buying tendencies.

Just had a quick look at your club, looks nice and isn't too far from us. Literally an hours drive dead south. If our website was, even somewhat, up to date I'd be on there holding the doubles trophy!! Useless lot :D

BC1
03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Played a match again tonight with the warrior against an opponent who usually beats me 75% of the time. I was afraid to make too many claims about what a great racquet it is because i am all too familiar with the honeymoon period. However, I am now convinced, this is one very nice racquet. I am playing the best i have in a long time. I absolutely love everything about it, and the more i play with the better it is.

Also, I want to change my answer to the ohbh question. Yes it is definitely a good racquet for that as well. Tonight my backhand was definitely more consistent and more powerful. Also my groundstrokes where more consistent now that i have more experience with it.

It truy is a great all around racquet. No doubt about it.

keithfival
03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Come on, you guys are killing me!! Just fell in love with the Rebel Team 95 (oddly enough) for all-court game, haven't lost a set with it but definitely not serving great with it even after a few weeks (serve much better with the non-Team). The Warrior sounds like it has the things I like about the Reb but serves well to boot.

AHHHHH D O N T T E M P T M E!!!! :shock::):shock::)

JackB1
03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I have never hit more winners in my life :-)

just sayin

BC1
03-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Come on, you guys are killing me!! Just fell in love with the Rebel Team 95 (oddly enough) for all-court game, haven't lost a set with it but definitely not serving great with it even after a few weeks (serve much better with the non-Team). The Warrior sounds like it has the things I like about the Reb but serves well to boot.

AHHHHH D O N T T E M P T M E!!!! :shock::):shock::)

Why resist!! You know you're going to cave. Embrace it and enjoy it. Chances are you will be very happy. And if your not then you know for sure and got it out of your mind. It's a win-win.

BC1
03-06-2012, 09:32 PM
I have never hit more winners in my life :-)

just sayin

Feeling the same way, and errors are decreasing as well with each set played

sansaephanh
03-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Feeling the same way, and errors are decreasing as well with each set played

man you guys are killing me as well... Since i got my job i've been demoing and impulse buying on tennis... I've been looking into rackets similar to the Rebel 98, but the warrior seems to be up my alley in terms of what I believe I need from a racket to improve my game.

skeeter
03-06-2012, 10:22 PM
After a lengthy racquet search I've settled down with the Pro 1 but the warrior looks very intriguing.
Skeeter I would like to hear your impressions of the Warrior vs the Pro 1.

Looking forward to the comparison myself! Will post up when I get the demos.

BC1
03-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok, i know this is silly and insignificant, but it's been a long time since I've been this excited about a new racquet. As stupid as it may be, I would love to have a new Prince Warrior tennis bag to proudly carry my racquets. Prince came out with a new rebel line of bags which look good. I wonder if they will be doing the same for the Warrior?

Dgdavid
03-07-2012, 01:56 AM
If you bought it from PVVP was it the big dude that served you? Cant see him using a "tweener" :) I actually quite like the paintwork on the frame, just do not like the shape etc... but need to look past this as could be missing a trick. Have you got your IG Prestige Pro up for sale yet? I could be interested in that... well I am interested but just trying to halt my racket buying tendencies.

Just had a quick look at your club, looks nice and isn't too far from us. Literally an hours drive dead south. If our website was, even somewhat, up to date I'd be on there holding the doubles trophy!! Useless lot :D

A trophy is a trophy. I am yet to have one but working on it!
At the Farnham branch, it is the young chap who is a coach and the older guy who seems to be the manager. At Wimbledon branch, it is Mark and Darren.

I don't have the Pro now because they kindly switched it for the Prestige S as they needed a Pro demo anyway. Now selling 2 x IG Midplus, 1 x Mid and 1 x S! Plus selling my Rebel 98.

Our club is nice but there seems to be suburban politics going on. Maybe that is the case in all clubs.

Definitely demo the Warrior, I am hooked.

un6a
03-07-2012, 04:32 AM
From reports, Warrior play exactly like i imagined when i saw specs back in the last year. Hopefully i will get chance to try it in the upcoming months.

BC1
03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
From reports, Warrior play exactly like i imagined when i saw specs back in the last year. Hopefully i will get chance to try it in the upcoming months.

Yes, you are correct. This racquet does feel and play like you hope it would based on specs. Mine and others are slightly heavier then TWs, around 11.2 strung - 11.5 strung with overgrip and dampner. It hits a heavy solid ball but the racquet doesn't feel or swing heavy.

Comparing it to the pd, I would say it's similar to the new pd2012 but with a little less power, a little more control, and a lot more comfort. I like the feel and sound as well. Nothing hollow about it.

To me the Warrior is also like a slightly stiffer EXO3 tour. I love the tours but could never get use to their very low flex. The warrior has some good qualities of the EXO3 tours but with the added stiffness and slightly thicker beam it is more powerful and forgiving on off center shots.

The TW description for the Warrior is very accurate.

JackB1
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Ok, i know this is silly and insignificant, but it's been a long time since I've been this excited about a new racquet. As stupid as it may be, I would love to have a new Prince Warrior tennis bag to proudly carry my racquets. Prince came out with a new rebel line of bags which look good. I wonder if they will be doing the same for the Warrior?

I was thinking the same thing the other day :-)

I hope they make one but I didn't see any yet :-(

McNasty
03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Jack, do you find the Beast?Attack a softer combination that the Max Touch/Pro Line 2 ?. My arm is still sore from 6 days ago, maybe i just cannot tale a poly. I hit incredible with the Warrior, i just need a more forgiving stringbed. Also can you point me in the direction as to how to string this a a two piece. Thanks for all your input.

pjb5s4
03-07-2012, 02:09 PM
The review is now up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=twLuOqpB0T4

Dgdavid
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
The review is now up on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=twLuOqpB0T4

Interesting indeed. Mine are strung with Prince Syn Gut Duraflex and I love it. Maybe I got lucky. That Mike fella is very like me only faster, more agile, better serve, backhand, forehand, volley, pace and movement but otherwise, it was like watching a video of myself...

JackB1
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
That Mike fella is very like me only faster, more agile, better serve, backhand, forehand, volley, pace and movement but otherwise, it was like watching a video of myself...

lol :-)

JackB1
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Jack, do you find the Beast?Attack a softer combination that the Max Touch/Pro Line 2 ?. My arm is still sore from 6 days ago, maybe i just cannot tale a poly. I hit incredible with the Warrior, i just need a more forgiving stringbed. Also can you point me in the direction as to how to string this a a two piece. Thanks for all your input.

No poly mains hybrid is going to be softer than a multi mains hybrid. If you get sore you should try full multi or a multi /syngut combo. What are you using now?

I love my hybrid of Beast 17 w/ Attack. Anyone else try this combo? I love it.

What advice do you need about stringing 2 piece? You need to start the crosses on the correct side or it won't work.

BC1
03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
^^^^ The demo I've been using is strung with a prince poly 3d /prince syn gut hybrid. It may be similar to your setup Jack. I like it, good power and control and seems soft on the arm. No problems.

Maybe the tw review is right and the racquet is string sensitive? Not sure since i've only played with this one setup. Like dgdavid said, i must have got lucky.

BC1
03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
^^^^ Regarding the TW video review of the warrior, the testers referred to the racquet weight being 11oz strung. However, from the posts I've seen and my own demo, many warriors are coming in at 11.5 w overgrip and strings. I'm not sure if tw was just rounding it off or not, but I think a 11.5 racquet will play differently then an 11oz racquet. Just a thought.

...Just replayed the review and watched it more closely this time. It's actually a pretty fair review, it also seems like the more they played with it (especially Chris) the better it got. I too had this experience and it wasn't until my second time out with it that I really started to like it and things started clicking. Or in hinesight, maybe it was the strings, and they just needed to loosen up a bit.

alm
03-09-2012, 05:52 AM
I don't have the Pro now because they kindly switched it for the Prestige S as they needed a Pro demo anyway. Now selling 2 x IG Midplus, 1 x Mid and 1 x S! Plus selling my Rebel 98.

Hi Dgdavid,

Which rebel are you selling? If it's the EXO3, I might be interested in taking it off your hands.

JackB1
03-09-2012, 06:47 AM
^^^^ Regarding the TW video review of the warrior, the testers referred to the racquet weight being 11oz strung. However, from the posts I've seen and my own demo, many warriors are coming in at 11.5 w overgrip and strings. I'm not sure if tw was just rounding it off or not, but I think a 11.5 racquet will play differently then an 11oz racquet. Just a thought.

...Just replayed the review and watched it more closely this time. It's actually a pretty fair review, it also seems like the more they played with it (especially Chris) the better it got. I too had this experience and it wasn't until my second time out with it that I really started to like it and things started clicking. Or in hinesight, maybe it was the strings, and they just needed to loosen up a bit.

Most racquets take me awhile to adjust but I actually felt comfortable with the Warrior immediately. But remember, those reviews are just a few people's personal opinions that may or may not jive with yours. I wish they would have had a solid 3.5 reviewing it. That's who this racquet seems perfect for.

Dgdavid
03-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi Dgdavid,

Which rebel are you selling? If it's the EXO3, I might be interested in taking it off your hands.

Hi there. It is the Prince Exo3 Rebel 98 (the new one). Full weight one (300G unstrung), not the team. See this:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=414927

BC1
03-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Most racquets take me awhile to adjust but I actually felt comfortable with the Warrior immediately. But remember, those reviews are just a few people's personal opinions that may or may not jive with yours. I wish they would have had a solid 3.5 reviewing it. That's who this racquet seems perfect for.

True, however I don't think this racquet is any different then the PD, pro open and others and is suitable for any level 3.5-4.5. On the positive side of the review, Mike said he liked everything about it and would probably switch to it and I think I read somwhere where he was a 4.5 +.

Anyway, hopefully it won't deter others from trying it. That would be a shame.

(On a different note: I let a buddy of mine hit with it yesterday - he loved it btw - but as he was hitting with the warrior I played with the Rebel 98 for the first time in a couple of weeks. Wow! I'm very glad I kept it. I know it may not be good for my game, but I can see myself switching back and forth)

Power Player
03-09-2012, 07:30 AM

So this stick isn't really like a Babo where a pro player could use it too? I was just curious what makes you think it's more for just for a 3.5.

It sounds like the TW demo folks could throw on some lead at 12 to take care of the plow issues. That usually solves it pretty quick.

Dgdavid
03-09-2012, 07:33 AM
So this stick isn't really like a Babo where a pro player could use it too? I was just curious what makes you think it's more for just for a 3.5.

It sounds like the TW demo folks could throw on some lead at 12 to take care of the plow issues. That usually solves it pretty quick.

Mike is a 5.0 and switching so can't be that bad! Personally, I don't see what you lose by being a better player. It is deceptively solid and stable despite 300g unstrung.

BC1
03-09-2012, 07:41 AM

I think it could definitely be used by any level - just like the PD. I have played with the Pd for years (and love that racquet as well), and to me the warrior is very similar - just has a different feel and is more comfortable - it may not have quite as much raw power - but it's not far behind.

No plow issues at all. Of course the demo I am using is 11.5 strung with overgrip - so maybe that's the difference.

Power Player
03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeah thats what I figured. It should be fine for any level of play.

McNasty
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
No poly mains hybrid is going to be softer than a multi mains hybrid. If you get sore you should try full multi or a multi /syngut combo. What are you using now?

I love my hybrid of Beast 17 w/ Attack. Anyone else try this combo? I love it.

What advice do you need about stringing 2 piece? You need to start the crosses on the correct side or it won't work.

I generally use Babolat Xcel 16 premium at 57 or 60. I have never tried dropping the cross tension, is that something that is advisable? Any suggestions on syn gut.

JackB1
03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
True, however I don't think this racquet is any different then the PD, pro open and others and is suitable for any level 3.5-4.5. On the positive side of the review, Mike said he liked everything about it and would probably switch to it and I think I read somwhere where he was a 4.5 +.

Anyway, hopefully it won't deter others from trying it. That would be a shame.

(On a different note: I let a buddy of mine hit with it yesterday - he loved it btw - but as he was hitting with the warrior I played with the Rebel 98 for the first time in a couple of weeks. Wow! I'm very glad I kept it. I know it may not be good for my game, but I can see myself switching back and forth)

What does the Rebel 98 offer that the Warrior doesn't and vice versa?

JackB1
03-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Yes of course it could and I believe Isner has made it his racquet now, but I just would love to hear someone on the TW team review it that is at the same level I am. I don't know why everyone on the review team is 4.0 or 4.5 and above? The majority of their customers are probably 3.0-3.5.

Faithfulfather
03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Isner is still using his O3 White with a paint job.

Power Player
03-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Isner is still using his O3 White with a paint job.

yeah, i dont see him switching from the white.

Faithfulfather
03-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Just look at Prince's facebook page. People know they lie.

BC1
03-09-2012, 09:18 PM
What does the Rebel 98 offer that the Warrior doesn't and vice versa?

Imo, the rebel gives me more precision. A little more accuracy and control. Better placement of lobs and serves. Just a little more control all around. However, thats IF i have time to prepare.

The warrior is definitely more forgiving and provides easier power. Control is good, but i am just not as precise with my shots. However the warrior makes up for that by giving me the opportunity to return many shots that i would not be able to return with the rebel. For example, mishit the ball on the frame, or at the very edge of the stringbed, and with the rebel you will be lucky if it makes it over the net. Especiallly if the ball was hit to you with lots of speed (which usually it is if you're mishitting). However, do the same with the warrior and you may have a winner.

Here's how i would rank them in the following categories:
Serve placement: rebel 98
Serve Power: warrior
Return of serve: warrior
Overheads: warrior
Volleys: warrior
lobs: rebel 98
passing shots: rebel 98
groundstrokes: tie
Power: warrior
control: rebel 98
Forgiveness: warrior
comfort: warrior
Manuverability: tie
Stability: warrior, but a tie if rebel is hit in sweetspot. Warrior is more stable on perimeter shots

If i was a little better player, meaning more consistent, better timing and footwork, and a little more confident in my strokes, i would probably stick to the rebel. However, that is a lot of IFs. for my 3.5/4.0 game, the warrior offers more of what i need.

This was acually a good exercise, i have occassionally been going back and forth wondering which racquet to stick with, and this has helped. It looks like the warrior easily one the most categories.

vantageboy
03-10-2012, 04:42 AM
real mixed review from the tw staffers--jackb1 is right the head is shaped like a pizza pan. Thick beamed so should have some good power for those that don't produce much.

Al1978
03-10-2012, 05:23 AM
The string sensitivity issue might be a little overrated. Most of us don't get to play every day and try out every string under the sun for hours to compare how they play in a particular frame. I've used the Warrior for a couple weeks and strung mine with two kinds of synthetic gut. That's just what I like. The cons of poly outweigh the pros for me, so I don't mess with it. Maybe if I did, I'd come to the same conclusion as some of the TW Testers that the feel is sub-par. But now that I'm fairly well accustomed to the Warrior, and not playing with other racquets every day, I doubt that one hit with a soft poly strung low would altogether make me shop for another frame. I'm tired of that.

JackB1
03-10-2012, 08:09 AM
real mixed review from the tw staffers--jackb1 is right the head is shaped like a pizza pan. Thick beamed so should have some good power for those that don't produce much.

I never said that about the Warrior 100. I said that about the thinner beamed EXO's like the Tour 100 or the prior Ozone Tour. The Warriors beam is a little thicker than those models, so no "pizza pan" look. The hoop shape of the Warrior reminds me very much of the Speeds, which I liked very much. Rounder hoop shapes are more forgiving if you sometimes miss towards the sides. They also allow for longer crosses, which makes for a wider sweetspot. Add the O-Ports to that and you have a very forgiving racquet.

About the power, I don't find it too much. With a poly in the mains, it tempers the power and brings lots of control. Being 50 yes old, I can appreciate not having to swing out all the time and I wait for my opportunity for winners...but when they are there, the Warrior sure responds :)

JackB1
03-10-2012, 06:41 PM
The string sensitivity issue might be a little overrated. Most of us don't get to play every day and try out every string under the sun for hours to compare how they play in a particular frame. I've used the Warrior for a couple weeks and strung mine with two kinds of synthetic gut. That's just what I like. The cons of poly outweigh the pros for me, so I don't mess with it. Maybe if I did, I'd come to the same conclusion as some of the TW Testers that the feel is sub-par. But now that I'm fairly well accustomed to the Warrior, and not playing with other racquets every day, I doubt that one hit with a soft poly strung low would altogether make me shop for another frame. I'm tired of that.

To be honest, I really don't understand the "lack of feel" comments at all.
Do any other Warrior users feel any "lack of feel" or "disconnect" with this racquet? I did in the past with some of the very muted Prince OPort racquets, but not at all with the Warrior. I know that "feel" is a very personal and subjective thing, but I really can't agree with those comments.

BC1
03-10-2012, 08:10 PM
To be honest, I really don't understand the "lack of feel" comments at all.
Do any other Warrior users feel any "lack of feel" or "disconnect" with this racquet? I did in the past with some of the very muted Prince OPort racquets, but not at all with the Warrior. I know that "feel" is a very personal and subjective thing, but I really can't agree with those comments.

I havent found any lack of feel at all. Way more then the review gives credit for.

JackB1
03-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Hey BC, is it easy to switch back and forth between the Warrior and Rebel 98? Aren't the swingweights very similar? I have an opportunity to snag a new one for pretty cheap and was toying with the idea. What you think of the idea of keeping one in my bag as well?

BC1
03-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Hey BC, is it easy to switch back and forth between the Warrior and Rebel 98? Aren't the swingweights very similar? I have an opportunity to snag a new one for pretty cheap and was toying with the idea. What you think of the idea of keeping one in my bag as well?

Its easy enough to switch back and forth, too easy matter of fact. I know it's not the best thing to do, but i like having two different types of racquets in the bag. You can pick the best one depending on your mood, or who your playing, or how your feeling physically. At our level i see no problem with it. Its all about having fun anyway. And let's face it, switching up racquets and experimenting is obviously one of the aspects of the game that makes us love it so much. And yes, to me the sw and "feel" is similar, plus obviously the grip shape, and even the weight, so its not that difficult. Just takes a few hits.

Dgdavid
03-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Maybe I'll hang onto my Rebel 98 then rather than sell it.
Tried having a go with my Prestiges again yesterday but after a lot of games with the Warrior, it suddenly felt like hard work with the PMPs.

BC1/Jack, how are you doing with your string choices. I am happy with the Syn Gut Duraflex but curious about what I don't know that I don't know (if that makes sense).

JackB1
03-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Maybe I'll hang onto my Rebel 98 then rather than sell it.
Tried having a go with my Prestiges again yesterday but after a lot of games with the Warrior, it suddenly felt like hard work with the PMPs.

BC1/Jack, how are you doing with your string choices. I am happy with the Syn Gut Duraflex but curious about what I don't know that I don't know (if that makes sense).

I couldn't be happier with my Beast17/Attack hybrid. It was strung at 53/55.

JackB1
03-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Its easy enough to switch back and forth, too easy matter of fact. I know it's not the best thing to do, but i like having two different types of racquets in the bag. You can pick the best one depending on your mood, or who your playing, or how your feeling physically. At our level i see no problem with it. Its all about having fun anyway. And let's face it, switching up racquets and experimenting is obviously one of the aspects of the game that makes us love it so much. And yes, to me the sw and "feel" is similar, plus obviously the grip shape, and even the weight, so its not that difficult. Just takes a few hits.

Couldn't agree more with your attitude. As long as my game doesn't suffer, I am good. I do love to try other racquets, but when I need to win, I will always grab what gives me the best chance at that and currently that is the Warrior. I also play many casual matches and practice and that's where the Rebel could come into play. Long story short...I got one on the way :-)

BC...any recommendations on how to string the Rebel so the power level will match the Warrior? Maybe a multi at low tension?

BC1
03-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Couldn't agree more with your attitude. As long as my game doesn't suffer, I am good. I do love to try other racquets, but when I need to win, I will always grab what gives me the best chance at that and currently that is the Warrior. I also play many casual matches and practice and that's where the Rebel could come into play. Long story short...I got one on the way :-)

BC...any recommendations on how to string the Rebel so the power level will match the Warrior? Maybe a multi at low tension?

This topic is very timely...had a very tough match today against a pusher. He sliced EVRYTHING, and got everything back, not much pace but,very good placement. And made,no mistakes. Very frustrating. Never sen anytging like it. I didnt have the warrior demo because i had to return it and i havent bought one. But i did i have a pd 2012. I thought i was playing fairly well but started playing his game, and he was better at his game then i was. I lost the first set 7-5, and as down 4-0 in the 2nd. I switched to the rebel and won the next 6 games anf the 10 point tiebreaker.

The pd fet similar to the warrior to me and i can't blame the pd. However when playing with either of those or those type i have a horrible tendancy to get lazy,and not play aggressive, and that kils my game. With the rebel i am forced to focus more and i find myself playing better all the way around. It makes you want to be a better player, as stupid as that may sound. And the racquet gives you the ability to dictate play.

As far as strings, im liking my alu power rough at around 54/52. However i want to try your beast and attack hybrid at low tension. Just go low tension and semi soft strings and you will be fine.

Dgdavid
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Bc1, does today make you favour the rebel? Still going with the Warrior?

keithfival
03-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Any 4.5s or higher among those out there liking this racket? I noticed the TW testers not liking it that much, don't know if it's coincidence or a matter of level. Curious to hear...

JackB1
03-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Any 4.5s or higher among those out there liking this racket? I noticed the TW testers not liking it that much, don't know if it's coincidence or a matter of level. Curious to hear...

2 our of 4 liked it and one is switching to it. Its not a good fit for either Chris or Tiffany, so I am fine with the review.

vantageboy
03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
the tennis club i play at is a prince shop(club pro uses the tour 18x20) asked about the new warrior so he brought the demo down and we held it up against his exo3 tour. identical head shape just thicker beam. said he sold 2 quickly to our womens 3.0 group said they love the power and light feel to it. should be a good seller.

JackB1
03-11-2012, 07:20 PM
the tennis club i play at is a prince shop(club pro uses the tour 18x20) asked about the new warrior so he brought the demo down and we held it up against his exo3 tour. identical head shape just thicker beam. said he sold 2 quickly to our womens 3.0 group said they love the power and light feel to it. should be a good seller.

It will be a good seller, but the Warrior is meant for "intermediate and advanced" players, not 3.0 women. The EXO Red, Blue or Silver would be a much better choice IMO. Your club Pro really could have made some much better suggestions for them since 3.0 women are like total beginners. The Warrior doesn't really make a lot of sense for them. Its also not that "light". Mine is 11.7 oz with a +325 swingweight.

BC1
03-11-2012, 07:41 PM

I honestly dont know. I already own the rebel, and i was only demoing the warrior. I still stand by all my favorable reviews of the warrior. I think it is a great all around racquet and a solid choice for anyone in the 3.5-4.5 range. However, there is something about the rebel. I like the way i play with the rebel, win or loose, i feel like im playing harder and actually making shots and relying less on the racquet. I'm not sure what direction i'm going, but since i already have the rebel, i think for now im going to stick with it. No need to shell out 200 dollars if i'm not positive. Ideally, like i said before, i would own both and take my time deciding.

vantageboy
03-11-2012, 07:53 PM
It will be a good seller, but the Warrior is meant for "intermediate and advanced" players, not 3.0 women. The EXO Red, Blue or Silver would be a much better choice IMO. Your club Pro really could have made some much better suggestions for them since 3.0 women are like total beginners. The Warrior doesn't really make a lot of sense for them. Its also not that "light". Mine is 11.7 oz with a +325 swingweight. i think at that level any thick beam powerful racquet would work well. He says they love it(i sure they know nothing about swing weight).I feel the silver would be the right choice for you IMO. We have 2 older guys(70"s) playing with the volkl c10 and wilson prostaff 6.1 and they seem to play ok with them. i would never tell them or the girls that's the wrong racquets to use and it doesn't really need to make sense. I guess the best opinions are the ones unsaid wouldn't you agree.

JackB1
03-11-2012, 08:02 PM
i think at that level any thick beam powerful racquet would work well. He says they love it(i sure they know nothing about swing weight).I feel the silver would be the right choice for you IMO. We have 2 older guys(70"s) playing with the volkl c10 and wilson prostaff 6.1 and they seem to play ok with them. i would never tell them or the girls that's the wrong racquets to use and it doesn't really need to make sense. I guess the best opinions are the ones unsaid wouldn't you agree.

Not when its your job to pick out what's best for the player. Not sure I get your point here, but thanks for the suggestions.

JackB1
03-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I honestly dont know. I already own the rebel, and i was only demoing the warrior. I still stand by all my favorable reviews of the warrior. I think it is a great all around racquet and a solid choice for anyone in the 3.5-4.5 range. However, there is something about the rebel. I like the way i play with the rebel, win or loose, i feel like im playing harder and actually making shots and relying less on the racquet. I'm not sure what direction i'm going, but since i already have the rebel, i think for now im going to stick with it. No need to shell out 200 dollars if i'm not positive. Ideally, like i said before, i would own both and take my time deciding.

I am getting a Rebel 98 also, but I have a feeling I'm going to much prefer the Warrior. Played another singles league match with it today and I constantly am amazed at how well it does everything I ask of it. I had some hip pain today and it really limited my movement, so I had to start going for winners whenever I had the chance to and boy did the Warrior pay dividends there. I actually played better with the injury and the extra aggressiveness :-)

Al1978
03-11-2012, 08:35 PM
If the Warrior is so great for you, and replaced the Becker you used for a while, why are getting a Rebel 98, which isn't very similar to the Warrior and which you already said wasn't for your game? Could the TW Review of the Warrior made you second-guess your decision, and now you want to try again the racquet the TW testers much preferred? You are the racquet industry's dream customer - racquets as retail therapy, items to hoard, not to play until they wear out. More power to you, although in the Rebel's case, probably not.

Odds here say there's a 2:1 chance, at worst, that your avatar is new within three months.

JackB1
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM
If the Warrior is so great for you, and replaced the Becker you used for a while, why are getting a Rebel 98, which isn't very similar to the Warrior and which you already said wasn't for your game? Could the TW Review of the Warrior made you second-guess your decision, and now you want to try again the racquet the TW testers much preferred? You are the racquet industry's dream customer - racquets as retail therapy, items to hoard, not to play until they wear out. More power to you, although in the Rebel's case, probably not.

Odds here say there's a 2:1 chance, at worst, that your avatar is new within three months.

Because I never really gave the Rebel 98 a fair shake and didn't playtest it with the proper strings. Also like BC1 said, they are easy to switch between and the 98 might be fun to try when not in a competitive match. Not sure why you have to give me a hard time because I like to try many racquets? If it adds to my enjoyment of the sport then why does it bother you?

Al1978
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Because I never really gave the Rebel 98 a fair shake and didn't playtest it with the proper strings. Also like BC1 said, they are easy to switch between and the 98 might be fun to try when not in a competitive match. Not sure why you have to give me a hard time because I like to try many racquets? If it adds to my enjoyment of the sport then why does it bother you?

We don't do it to be mean, it's just a reaction to one post about how the latest racquet does everything to your satisfaction and how you're playing so well with it, soon to be followed by dalliances with another racquet. Truth be told, your game would probably improve more if you just committed yourself to a racquet for a couple years, no matter how tempting the specs on something else. Believe me, I get it. I used to be like you, with pairs of different racquets in my house, and it just caused me to lose focus on playing because I was worried about giving this or that racquet a fair spin because I was stuck owning it.

couch
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
If the 3.0 women love the racquet then that's what they should play with. All you can do is make suggestions based on players skill level and their type of play. The player ultimately makes the decision (most of the time). I do agree with you though that without knowing much else I would recommend the Silver, Blue or Red to those ladies. :-)

Maybe the guy was talking about the Warrior Team- who knows. I know several 3.0-4.0 women that use that racquet. I play with a guy who played DI and he plays with the exo3 black team and loves it. Different strokes for different folks.

BC1
03-11-2012, 11:19 PM

I am getting a Rebel 98 also, but I have a feeling I'm going to much prefer the Warrior. Played another singles league match with it today and I constantly am amazed at how well it does everything I ask of it. I had some hip pain today and it really limited my movement, so I had to start going for winners whenever I had the chance to and boy did the Warrior pay dividends there. I actually played better with the injury and the extra aggressiveness :-)

Jack, In a way, I still prefer the warrior as well. And i'm not saying the rebel is a "better" racquet. Whatever someone can do with one can be equally done by the other, the point I was trying to make is that with the rebel I find myself actualy playing better tennis and being more agressive. However if I was disciplined enough to play with the same focus and style with the warrior or pd I would probably have the same resuls, or even better.

Regardless, I think you will have fun experimenting with the rebel 98. It is a good racquet and can do many things well. You will not find it as forgiving or powerful as the warrior, and you may not like it in a side by side comparison, but to me it really shines in match play when you need it to perform. I doubt you will choose it over the warrior, but give it some time, it grows on you the more you play with it. And the better it becomes. Enjoy both of them.

Edit... wanted to clarify, that in addition to liking the way im playing right now with the rebel, another main reason I'm focusing on the rebel is simply because i have yet to buy the warrior. I still believe the warrior is my favorite in it's class, over the pd, pro open, etc. But im going to fight the urge to buy right now, or even demo others (specifically the pd, I can't seem to break away but I'm trying) and see if I can't make the rebel my go to racket. I do think I will have to raise my game a bit, but that's not a bad thing - if I can do it.

You also mentioned above that when you played with aggressiveness, the warrior really did well. I totally agree. And that is part of "my" problem. I tend to get lazy and not hit aggressively as much as I should with certain racquets, not sure if that is some subconcious fear of hitting out or simply because I know I can just let the racquet get it back, which can be an asset at times, but usually not. With the rebel I dont find myself playing that way.

Pneumated1
03-12-2012, 08:15 AM
I can feel the confusion in this thread. These relatively low-flex tweeners (Warrior 100) and player-tweeners (Rebel 98) kinda draw you in with that nice soft feel, expansive sweet spot, and tempting boost in pop. People talk about that "perfect" combination of pop/control with such frames, but you'll spend all of your time on court trying to find it. You won't; it'll elude you every time. One ball will land short and the next will hit the back fence. Just like the testers state, you'll have trouble feeling the ball on the strings, and you'll start questioning depth control and become a basket-case on the court. Some commentators are calling the Rebel powerful and others are calling it controlled. You'll hit short one day and start tinkering with more powerful strings, and the next day you'll launch the ball everywhere and start tinkering with poly's and hybrids to control the raw power. The cycle won't end.

Like Jack said in the London Thread, such a combination of low flex, extra pop, and sensitive stringbeds just don't work for players below the 4.5 level. It seems to me that you have two options: Get you a stiff tweener that won't hurt your arm like the DC Becker Pro, Volkl V-1, BB Sportster, etc., (or) just take the plunge into a stiff tweener from Babolat or Wilson, full poly, with a TE elbow brace, and some weights for wrist and forearm exercises. Like Jack said in the London thread, you'll need stiffer frames than these Prince's to achieve a consistent response if you're below the 5.0 level. I agree.

For instance, the best club pro in my area, who's ranked nationally and played Lendl at the Open BITD hits the predecessor to the Wilson K-Zero, with a 118" head and fan string pattern. It's as stiff as a brick, and he kicks butt with it. He knows what the ball's gonna do off of his hybrid stringbed every time. No soft spots and hot spots on that stringbed.

BC1
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
I can feel the confusion in this thread. These relatively low-flex tweeners (Warrior 100) and player-tweeners (Rebel 98) kinda draw you in with that nice soft feel, expansive sweet spot, and tempting boost in pop. People talk about that "perfect" combination of pop/control with such frames, but you'll spend all of your time on court trying to find it. You won't; it'll elude you every time. One ball will land short and the next will hit the back fence. Just like the testers state, you'll have trouble feeling the ball on the strings, and you'll start questioning depth control and become a basket-case on the court. Some commentators are calling the Rebel powerful and others are calling it controlled. You'll hit short one day and start tinkering with more powerful strings, and the next day you'll launch the ball everywhere and start tinkering with poly's and hybrids to control the raw power. The cycle won't end.

Like Jack said in the London Thread, such a combination of low flex, extra pop, and sensitive stringbeds just don't work for players below the 4.5 level. It seems to me that you have two options: Get you a stiff tweener that won't hurt your arm like the DC Becker Pro, Volkl V-1, BB Sportster, etc., (or) just take the plunge into a stiff tweener from Babolat or Wilson, full poly, with a TE elbow brace, and some weights for wrist and forearm exercises. Like Jack said in the London thread, you'll need stiffer frames than these Prince's to achieve a consistent response if you're below the 5.0 level. I agree.

For instance, the best club pro in my area, who's ranked nationally and played Lendl at the Open BITD hits the predecessor to the Wilson K-Zero, with a 118" head and fan string pattern. It's as stiff as a brick, and he kicks butt with it. He knows what the ball's gonna do off of his hybrid stringbed every time. No soft spots and hot spots on that stringbed.

I understand what you're saying, and I guess it makes sense. Though I'm not positive I agree - It seems to me that when the balls fly or have a lack of speed I can attribute it to my swing. Of course I guess that's what you are saying, if you're under 4.5 your not consistent enough to use it. (However, I don't find the warrior to be any less consistent then the pd, both require a decent top spin stroke to maintain control on hard hits).

In your opinion what seperates say a rebel 98 from the radical mp? Or is the Radical also faulty in this way? And what makes a racquet string sensitive and the stringbed unpredictable? Is it the combination of low flex and low weight?

JackB1
03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
We don't do it to be mean, it's just a reaction to one post about how the latest racquet does everything to your satisfaction and how you're playing so well with it, soon to be followed by dalliances with another racquet. Truth be told, your game would probably improve more if you just committed yourself to a racquet for a couple years, no matter how tempting the specs on something else. Believe me, I get it. I used to be like you, with pairs of different racquets in my house, and it just caused me to lose focus on playing because I was worried about giving this or that racquet a fair spin because I was stuck owning it.

I guess I am just tired of everyone (not just you) deciding how I should enjoy my sport/hobby. I don't make any bones about the fact that I ENJOY trying different racquets, just like many other posters here. But I stick with the same specs all the time so very little adjustment is needed. I am currently dialed in with my Warrior, so I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise that. If you "keep in touch" with your main stick and do t lose the familiarity with it, there are no negatives to briefly trying other racquets here and there. I really don't do it as much as people around here think. I am very competitive in my league matches and want to win at all costs, so I am very careful about it.

Dgdavid
03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Well that's just great. Gonna have to buy more rackets now.

JackB1
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Jack, In a way, I still prefer the warrior as well. And i'm not saying the rebel is a "better" racquet. Whatever someone can do with one can be equally done by the other, the point I was trying to make is that with the rebel I find myself actualy playing better tennis and being more agressive. However if I was disciplined enough to play with the same focus and style with the warrior or pd I would probably have the same resuls, or even better.

Regardless, I think you will have fun experimenting with the rebel 98. It is a good racquet and can do many things well. You will not find it as forgiving or powerful as the warrior, and you may not like it in a side by side comparison, but to me it really shines in match play when you need it to perform. I doubt you will choose it over the warrior, but give it some time, it grows on you the more you play with it. And the better it becomes. Enjoy both of them.

Edit... wanted to clarify, that in addition to liking the way im playing right now with the rebel, another main reason I'm focusing on the rebel is simply because i have yet to buy the warrior. I still believe the warrior is my favorite in it's class, over the pd, pro open, etc. But im going to fight the urge to buy right now, or even demo others (specifically the pd, I can't seem to break away but I'm trying) and see if I can't make the rebel my go to racket. I do think I will have to raise my game a bit, but that's not a bad thing - if I can do it.

You also mentioned above that when you played with aggressiveness, the warrior really did well. I totally agree. And that is part of "my" problem. I tend to get lazy and not hit aggressively as much as I should with certain racquets, not sure if that is some subconcious fear of hitting out or simply because I know I can just let the racquet get it back, which can be an asset at times, but usually not. With the rebel I dont find myself playing that way.

The racquet itself really cannot "make you play" a certain way. You are in control of that all the time. You just know in the back of your mind that lazy play won't work with the Rebel, so you are kind of forced into action. But imagine if you played with that mindset and with the Warrior? Don't let whatever racquet you have in your hand determine your playing style. I know its easier said than done, but I think its a good idea.

Pneumated1
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
I understand what you're saying, and I guess it makes sense. Though I'm not positive I agree - It seems to me that when the balls fly or have a lack of speed I can attribute it to my swing. Of course I guess that's what you are saying, if you're under 4.5 your not consistent enough to use it. (However, I don't find the warrior to be any less consistent then the pd, both require a decent top spin stroke to maintain control on hard hits).

In your opinion what seperates say a rebel 98 from the radical mp? Or is the Radical also faulty in this way? And what makes a racquet string sensitive and the stringbed unpredictable? Is it the combination of low flex and low weight?

I'm not sure that it makes any sense, but I'm trying to work through Jack's theory as well. And it's okay to disagree, as long as everyone's opinion his heard. I used to not think so, but I'm seeing the advantage of such an approach in that it lead to more informed choices.

As far as the combination----I'm not sure. According to Jack, the London didn't work for him because of the combo of low flex, added pop, and stringbed sensitivity. But that was with a 20mm beam width and a stick more in the "player's" category than "tweener." The Warrior, however, is about the same stiffness, larger head/sweetspot, and significantly larger beam width. I would think that it would be a "trampoline" by comparison.

The Rebel, at least on paper, looks to be a true "player/tweener," but it's softer than the London, with a larger beam width, and the playtesters and commentators are talking about extra pop mixed with control, but then you're back to the London "problem" again. Can the pop and low flex work? It seems like a more contradictory mix than the London.

Maybe at the end of the day, all theories and opinions aren't equal and the playtester himself/herself is the most important and decisive factor. Enjoy your Prince's!

BC1
03-12-2012, 10:14 AM
The racquet itself really cannot "make you play" a certain way. You are in control of that all the time. You just know in the back of your mind that lazy play won't work with the Rebel, so you are kind of forced into action. But imagine if you played with that mindset and with the Warrior? Don't let whatever racquet you have in your hand determine your playing style. I know its easier said than done, but I think its a good idea.

You are 100% correct. And I know that. And I even said the same thing a few posts above. So much of this game is in our mind and having confidence in the racquet. And right now I'm feeling more confidence with the Rebel and that is dictating my play. But that is mainly because I have spent more time and have more matches under by belt with it, and it's also the only one I own. And I think I do get a little more control with the rebel, or maybe it's perceived control. IDK. I could pick either one and do ok. In the end you may get some extra points by using one over the other, and vice-versa. They each offer a little something different.

JackB1
03-12-2012, 10:15 AM

I don't agree either and I think such sweeping generalizations are hard to make with racquets because they are so personal in nature. Either way I don't find the stringbed on the Warrior "unpredictable" at all. The response off the stringbed is not too firm or flexy...just right. It makes dialing in distance or the back lines very easy for me. I also don't find the Warrior too powerful at all. With a poly hybrid, there is lots of control and I actually cannot hold back at all on my swing if I want consistent depth. Bottom line is that I personally find the Warrior perfect for my game right now. No issues whatsoever. The swingweight is perfect...the power level is perfect...touch, feel, serve...all there.
One of the playtesters said he was switching to it and they have access to every racquet under the sun. That says a lot.

JackB1
03-12-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure that it makes any sense, but I'm trying to work through Jack's theory as well. And it's okay to disagree, as long as everyone's opinion his heard. I used to not think so, but I'm seeing the advantage of such an approach in that it lead to more informed choices.

As far as the combination----I'm not sure. According to Jack, the London didn't work for him because of the combo of low flex, added pop, and stringbed sensitivity. But that was with a 20mm beam width and a stick more in the "player's" category than "tweener." The Warrior, however, is about the same stiffness, larger head/sweetspot, and significantly larger beam width. I would think that it would be a "trampoline" by comparison.

The Rebel, at least on paper, looks to be a true "player/tweener," but it's softer than the London, with a larger beam width, and the playtesters and commentators are talking about extra pop mixed with control, but then you're back to the London "problem" again. Can the pop and low flex work? It seems like a more contradictory mix than the London.

Maybe at the end of the day, all theories and opinions aren't equal and the playtester himself/herself is the most important and decisive factor. Enjoy your Prince's!

The MAIN reason I switched away from the London was that I couldn't get as much pace on my serve as I could with other stiffer racquets. All the other issues were minor and I actually had a very successful season playing with it exclusively. I think certain racquets work better for certain people and the specs are just one part of the whole equation. The individual playtester truly IS the most important factor in the equation, but my final deciding factor is always on court results.

Pneumated, I am glad you decided to post here and partake in this interesting discussion. I take that as a sign that you want to move on :-). For even more insight, you should try out the Warrior or the Rebel 98 yourself, so we could get some of your 1st hand impressions on them. If you haven't played with them, it's difficult to know who you agree or disagree with, don't you think?

JackB1
03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
You are 100% correct. And I know that. And I even said the same thing a few posts above. So much of this game is in our mind and having confidence in the racquet. And right now I'm feeling more confidence with the Rebel and that is dictating my play. But that is mainly because I have spent more time and have more matches under by belt with it, and it's also the only one I own. And I think I do get a little more control with the rebel, or maybe it's perceived control. IDK. I could pick either one and do ok. In the end you may get some extra points by using one over the other, and vice-versa. They each offer a little something different.

They are both great choices that's for sure! Nice to have such a "problem" :-)

But it seems clear that the Rebel 98 is more of a lighter players racquet and the Warrior more of a "players tweener". Prince has really done an outstanding job with these 2 racquets and have a lot of bases covered for intermediate players everywhere.

BC1
03-12-2012, 10:45 AM
They are both great choices that's for sure! Nice to have such a "problem" :-)

But it seems clear that the Rebel 98 is more of a lighter players racquet and the Warrior more of a "players tweener". Prince has really done an outstanding job with these 2 racquets and have a lot of bases covered for intermediate players everywhere.

Well said!
Now... have you tried the pacific X fast pro 100? There's our racquet!! Just kidding (sort of).

Pneumated1
03-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Pneumated, I am glad you decided to post here and partake in this interesting discussion. I take that as a sign that you want to move on :-). For even more insight, you should try out the Warrior or the Rebel 98 yourself, so we could get some of your 1st hand impressions on them. If you haven't played with them, it's difficult to know who you agree or disagree with, don't you think?

I have to come clean; I was trying to turn your tactics from the London Thread against you so that you would see how discouraging it could be to hit a racquet that others are disparaging. But you're all too good-hearted, and considering that I'm not heartless, despite what you might think, Jack, I wanted to make clear that I was exaggerating my points above, mostly in jest. DO NOT trade your Warriors and Rebels in on stiff tweeners. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if you actually did get a TE flare. However, the story about the ranked teaching pro using the 118", fan-shaped-stringbed, Wilson is true. The guy's a monster. So if there is a lesson that I was trying to convey, even slightly underhanded, it's that the player makes the frame, although the frame should suit the player.

I don't care for Prince, so I won't be trying any out, but I know that they make great frames. Enjoy them! And yeah, Jack, we're good, as usual.:wink:

JackB1
03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Well said!
Now... have you tried the pacific X fast pro 100? There's our racquet!! Just kidding (sort of).

too stiff! Isn't it like 70 or so?

BC1
03-12-2012, 12:55 PM
too stiff! Isn't it like 70 or so?

68, so yes, stiff but could be worse. Here are the specs:
Pacific X Fast Pro 100
Head Size: 100 sq. in. / 645.16 sq. cm.
Length: 27.25in / 69.22cm
Strung Weight: 11.2oz / 317.51g
Balance: 5 pts HL
Swingweight: 310
Stiffness: 68
Beam Width: 25mm / 23.5mm / 22.5mm /
Composition: Graphite / Basalt
Power Level: Medium-High
Stroke Style: Medium-Full
Swing Speed: Medium-Fast
String Pattern:16 Mains / 19 Crosses

The extra length is the only thing that concerns me because I'n not use to playing with extended length, but .25 should be easy to adjust to.

Not that either of us need another racquet to throw in the mix, but I do wish you or someone would try it and give a detailed review - this one is interesting and looks great on paper.

Fed Kennedy
03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
If you are goating with a womens racquet, more power to you. Yesterday I saw a 5.5 using one of those Wilsons that looks like a lawn chair.

JackB1
03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
I have to come clean; I was trying to turn your tactics from the London Thread against you so that you would see how discouraging it could be to hit a racquet that others are disparaging. But you're all too good-hearted, and considering that I'm not heartless, despite what you might think, Jack, I wanted to make clear that I was exaggerating my points above, mostly in jest. DO NOT trade your Warriors and Rebels in on stiff tweeners. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if you actually did get a TE flare. However, the story about the ranked teaching pro using the 118", fan-shaped-stringbed, Wilson is true. The guy's a monster. So if there is a lesson that I was trying to convey, even slightly underhanded, it's that the player makes the frame, although the frame should suit the player.

I don't care for Prince, so I won't be trying any out, but I know that they make great frames. Enjoy them! And yeah, Jack, we're good, as usual.:wink:

You know, I immediately suspected that's what you were doing :-)... because it was highly suspect for you to all of a sudden post in this thread, right on the heels of our little "tift". But, I was also kind of hoping that my suspisions were
incorrect. But I have to say, it takes a lot to admit what you were up to and come clean. But I can you understand how it can be upsetting when others disparage a racquet that you really like. I will be more considerate from now on.

JackB1
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
If you are goating with a womens racquet, more power to you. Yesterday I saw a 5.5 using one of those Wilsons that looks like a lawn chair.

There are a few guys on my ALTA team that are 4.0's and 4.5's that use oversize "beginners" racquets and use them very well.

JackB1
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
68, so yes, stiff but could be worse. Here are the specs:
Pacific X Fast Pro 100
Head Size: 100 sq. in. / 645.16 sq. cm.
Length: 27.25in / 69.22cm
Strung Weight: 11.2oz / 317.51g
Balance: 5 pts HL
Swingweight: 310
Stiffness: 68
Beam Width: 25mm / 23.5mm / 22.5mm /
Composition: Graphite / Basalt
Power Level: Medium-High
Stroke Style: Medium-Full
Swing Speed: Medium-Fast
String Pattern:16 Mains / 19 Crosses

The extra length is the only thing that concerns me because I'n not use to playing with extended length, but .25 should be easy to adjust to.

Not that either of us need another racquet to throw in the mix, but I do wish you or someone would try it and give a detailed review - this one is interesting and looks great on paper.

I am pretty set right now with the Warrior and incoming Rebel. Also, you would be surprised how much .25" changes the way a racquet feels. I think extended racquets are good for singles only and also shorter players trying to add more reach, but for me, it makes getting jammed easier and also makes volleyjng in close quarters tough.

BC1
03-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I am pretty set right now with the Warrior and incoming Rebel. Also, you would be surprised how much .25" changes the way a racquet feels. I think extended racquets are good for singles only and also shorter players trying to add more reach, but for me, it makes getting jammed easier and also makes volleyjng in close quarters tough.

I know. I feel the same. Just one that caught my eye. I wouldn't want you to start wandering yet - nor I.

BC1
03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
There are a few guys on my ALTA team that are 4.0's and 4.5's that use oversize "beginners" racquets and use them very well.

I've seen the same. I've played doubles against some teams (usually older - in their late 50s or early 60s) and one person will have a dunlop 200 or heavy players stick, and the other a 110 sq in oversize that probably weighs 9.5 ounces, and their games will be amazingly similar and amazingly good. Goes to show, as we all know, it's the player - not the racquet.

vantageboy
03-12-2012, 04:21 PM
It will be a good seller, but the Warrior is meant for "intermediate and advanced" players, not 3.0 women. The EXO Red, Blue or Silver would be a much better choice IMO. Your club Pro really could have made some much better suggestions for them since 3.0 women are like total beginners. The Warrior doesn't really make a lot of sense for them. Its also not that "light". Mine is 11.7 oz with a +325 swing weight. Went to the club after work today(really felt odd being there on a Monday) to talk to the pro. asked him how he suggests frames to players in particular the 2 that bought the warrior. 1) rates there game 2) body type age and injury consideration 3) frequency of play and what they want out of it(enjoyment,group bonding,or to get better and move up 4) demo-gave them the prince red,silver,rebel 98 team,warrior and warrior lite. these 2 chose the warrior off those demos(they want to compete and move up and play very frequently with lessons.i think it was a great move on his part--here's the best thing about stopping by tonight--one of the ladies is named JACKIE....isn't life grand.:shock:

JackB1
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I know. I feel the same. Just one that caught my eye. I wouldn't want you to start wandering yet - nor I.

I am pretty content with what I have right now. If a racquet I am using has something about that is "missing" or lacking...like serves or volleys...then I something get a desire to look around. But in this case, I don't feel anything lacking, so there's no real urgency to get anything else at the moment. I will check out the Rebel 98 and put it through its paces, but I'm not going to mind it one bit if it doesn't work for me.