PDA

View Full Version : Best stringer in Austin?

stormholloway
02-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I might as well put this here.

I know there are a few Austinites on this forum. Where do you guys string your racquets? I took mine over to South Austin to get a hybrid done and they gave it back to me with full gut. I was ****ed. They shall never touch my racquets again.

So... who strings around here?

Xizel
02-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Haha, you better find a friend or a random stranger on court, because labor is crazy these days.

stormholloway
02-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Perhaps I should just learn to string.

tennis_balla
02-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Rich who owns First Serve out in San Antonio is a really good guy. I haven't seen him in years but he'd sort you out for sure. I know you said Austin area but if you're ever in SA thats the place to go.

Leelord337
02-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Maybe Andy Roddick's personal stringer? lol, he's from Austin.

clutch21
02-04-2012, 08:32 AM
If your looking to save money, I think I do a quality job for $10. I string from home and I'm located in east austin. If interested you can contact me at: clutch_thedream21@yahoo.com

dlesser13
02-04-2012, 08:54 AM

This. Started on a dropweight about 2 years, best investment I ever made. If you're not willing to go that route, ********* does a quality job if you're willing to pay the 15 dollar labor fee.

r2473
02-04-2012, 11:27 AM

I don't know why anyone that plays tennis regularly wouldn't buy their own stringer.

Just check the classifieds, etc. I found the Alpha stand-up crank model that is selling for ~$800 for $200 from some guy that quit playing and just wanted it out of his house. The thing paid for itself within a year.

gavna
02-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Rich who owns First Serve out in San Antonio is a really good guy. I haven't seen him in years but he'd sort you out for sure. I know you said Austin area but if you're ever in SA thats the place to go.

Totally agree with this......I've known Rich for years and knows what he is doing. He worked the French Open a few years ago and whenever we are in San Antonio or New Braunfels we make sure to stop by and give him some business.
Really not that far of a drive - his shop on the north side not that far from the I35/410 intersection. No one in the region come close to his experience.

EDK
02-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I always went to Mike at the G*lfsm*th on I-35, dependable jobs. Once he strung a racket for me on the spot when it was slow, just had me wait in the store for 15 -20 min.

That was before I got my own stringing machine.

stormholloway
02-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I don't know why anyone that plays tennis regularly wouldn't buy their own stringer.

Just check the classifieds, etc. I found the Alpha stand-up crank model that is selling for ~$800 for $200 from some guy that quit playing and just wanted it out of his house. The thing paid for itself within a year.

I've lived in NYC/Italy for the past 5 years so it was never really an option. Still isn't an option but I'll be moving into a much larger space soon.

In the meantime I just want someone who can do it for me without issue.

stormholloway
02-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Totally agree with this......I've known Rich for years and knows what he is doing. He worked the French Open a few years ago and whenever we are in San Antonio or New Braunfels we make sure to stop by and give him some business.
Really not that far of a drive - his shop on the north side not that far from the I35/410 intersection. No one in the region come close to his experience.

I always went to Mike at the G*lfsm*th on I-35, dependable jobs. Once he strung a racket for me on the spot when it was slow, just had me wait in the store for 15 -20 min.

That was before I got my own stringing machine.

Thanks guys. I'll take both options into consideration.

GuyClinch
02-05-2012, 09:56 PM
How is Austin? Lots of courts? I am thinking about moving and I hear its a pretty cool place to live.. You guys can play pretty much year round?

stormholloway
02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Only problem is the heat. If you can handle it then you'll be fine. Austin is one of the great American cities in my opinion, but I'm biased.

Courts are plentiful and cheap to rent.

ryohazuki222
07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Westwood Country Club is a decent place to get rackets strung. $14 for labor. It's a private club, but anyone can get rackets strung. Located in northwestcentralish area off of 35th st and mopac. Rackets are strung on a babolat star 5 and turn around is generally very fast if you let them know when you need it by. if you are really that picky about rackets then ask for Jeremy or Alex to string your racket specifically.

user92626
07-12-2012, 05:06 PM

There's nothing to learn about that task. It's just time consuming like cleaning your house. And you can't go wrong with it. You can't break your racket, a few strands woven wrong won't hurt you, 5 lbs tension off have no significant impact on our level of hitting!!!

Rattler
07-12-2012, 06:19 PM

I'll second that, he just strung my sticks, picked them last Tuesday.

mightyrick
07-12-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't use him much anymore, but the guy over on McNeil at NewTechTennis (the kite shop on McNeil just east of 183) is really good, but his shop isn't always open at convenient hours. He's so small with such a small staff that sometimes they are just closed in middle of the day.

It's a little bit of a drive for me, but I have good luck with a major chain Golf store over around 290. Twice, I asked the guy for a rush and he strung my racquet while I waited. Good service.

austintennis2005
07-14-2012, 01:27 PM
storm,

rueben yanez at pharr tennis center is undoubtedly the best stringer in austin, he has been there since the 80's and is a great guy- at the clubs you are likely to get some punk kids stringing your racquets...lol

ps-i liked reading some of your posts in the past, what level player are you?

austintennis2005
07-14-2012, 01:29 PM
ps- mark gonzales at alpha sports is very good as well