PDA

View Full Version : Playing tennis in the snow

kayserRF
02-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Hi,

I am 15 at the moment and live in London, but last night it began to snow here, and it has now settled, but probably only about 3/4 cm.
I wanted to ask of there are any things I can practice on the courts while it is ice, because I can't really let myself not play tennis for a week. Also, indoor courts near me are complete rip offs. I do go to a gym as well, so should I just go there more times if I can't access the courts?

Lsmkenpo
02-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Use the time to study some technical aspects of the game, read some tennis books or watch instructional videos and work on some fitness until the court is safe to play on, if the court is ice wait until it is safe, there is nothing you will be able to do that is worth risking injury on an icy court.

Chyeaah
02-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Hi,

I am 15 at the moment and live in London, but last night it began to snow here, and it has now settled, but probably only about 3/4 cm.
I wanted to ask of there are any things I can practice on the courts while it is ice, because I can't really let myself not play tennis for a week. Also, indoor courts near me are complete rip offs. I do go to a gym as well, so should I just go there more times if I can't access the courts?

Never played on an indoor court, since their so expensive if you don't have membership.

If you have a big garage you can use that as a "tennis wall". You can practice volleys against a wall. Weight training. Watching Tennis Videos. Maybe at least get 1 hour in the indoor court, you split the price with your friend

joe sch
02-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Shovel the courts so the sun will get them ready for play sooner. Make shoveling a training workout by using good low form and working the legs/back in a contructive way. Dont use bad form as you dont want to injure back. Wear gloves so you dont get blisters.

Larrysümmers
02-05-2012, 05:41 AM
i agree with the above posts. it may be fun at first, but to me playing in the snow sucks because you cant really play.

TimothyO
02-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Shovel the courts so the sun will get them ready for play sooner. Make shoveling a training workout by using good low form and working the legs/back in a contructive way. Dont use bad form as you dont want to injure back. Wear gloves so you dont get blisters.

Bad idea.

A few years ago some ALTA folks decided to shovel our courts for a Sunday match.

Courts are NOT 100% perfectly smooth and level. And people don't wield their shovels 100% perfectly level with the imperfect court surface.

Result: gouges in the court surface that get worse over time as water seeps under the gouge, freezes, and expands.

Removing a top layer might be ok. Once you start hitting the surface it's time to let nature do its work unless you have specialized hardware and lots of time.

dman72
02-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Playing indoors can be very cost effective...just hit and play points, don't rest. You can hit as many balls and run as much in an hour as you would in a 2 hour match if you take out changeovers, waiting for serves, etc.

paulielondon
02-06-2012, 09:54 AM
-being in london like you and also adverse to the absurdly expensive indoor courts took a break and sat down to read the autobiography of Mcenroe and others.
- i got 5 hardbacks for minimal money on bay (absurdly cheap)and when weather is bad and courts slippy dont risk it - instead of worrying about the physical think of the mental and spiritual side of things (how many of us put our religion on government forms put our religion as "tennis"?).

- it gives you the stength to overcome adversity on court.

- tennis used to be a "seasonal sport"!!!!

- cheap squash courts are all over this town - used to use tennis rackets and balls on a squash courts during rain delays - but best buy a squash racket and chill out.

- best advice for last: take up badminton for a bit- that will give you the sampras overhead you have always dreamed of. i also got myself a nifty backhand smash!!!

best of luck:)

Failed
02-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi,

Volley over the net.