PDA

View Full Version : Prince Exo3 Tour 100 18x20 vs Head IG Prestige Pro

holytennis
02-05-2012, 07:30 AM
1) 4.0 player. I practice everyday for about 2-3 hours.
2) Both have the same Swing weight. So will they feel equally heavy to me?
3) Which is a better overall racket?
4) Currently use a Pure Drive GT.

holytennis
02-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Prince also claims that there is maximum responsiveness on shots hit off-center too? Is this true? I can't demo unfortunately. :(

Dgdavid
02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi there,
I can almost comment on this because I owned two new IG Prestige MPs (18x20) and 1 Exo3 Tour 100 (16x18 ). They are my two favourites rackets by some distance (own an IG Rad Pro, APDGT, Bio500Tour etc).

Not sure if this will translate but the Prestige is my favourite because for me it hits just a bit more solid and is more predictable for my game. I can go for winners much more easily with the Prestige. I use the Exo3 for doubles though and it is fantastic for that. Also, there is a wealth of knowledge about customising the Exo3 on this Board so fine tuning would be very easy. The reason I don't is simply that the Prestige is the first racket I ever had that ticked all the boxes so emphatically that I am loathe to mess with it and try anything else. That said, I would have no problem committing long term to the Exo3 if the Prestige was 'taken away' for whatever reason! You are choosing from two amazing rackets, a rare luxury...

holytennis
02-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. Can you comment on the power levels of the tour 100 and the ig mp? Also which has a larger sweetspot(I'm thinking the prince).

The Big Kahuna
02-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Neither.

The Prince Exo3 Tour 100 16x18 is better than both.

Ramon
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
I currently use the AeroPro Drive GT.

I've tried previous versions of the Prestige, and it just doesn't click with me. I don't like the feel, it's too unforgiving, and Head's grips are too rectangular for my taste.

I am looking into switching to a more comfortable racquet and I'm considering the EXO3 Tour 100. I tried my friend's 18x20 version and I was impressed. It's so comfortable I can hit with full poly and it still feels soft on my arm. It's very forgiving on off-center hits. It feels great no matter where the ball makes contact with the strings. It has a muted feel, but maybe that's just a consequence of playing with a racquet designed for comfort.

holytennis
02-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I currently use the AeroPro Drive GT.

I've tried previous versions of the Prestige, and it just doesn't click with me. I don't like the feel, it's too unforgiving, and Head's grips are too rectangular for my taste.

I am looking into switching to a more comfortable racquet and I'm considering the EXO3 Tour 100. I tried my friend's 18x20 version and I was impressed. It's so comfortable I can hit with full poly and it still feels soft on my arm. It's very forgiving on off-center hits. It feels great no matter where the ball makes contact with the strings. It has a muted feel, but maybe that's just a consequence of playing with a racquet designed for comfort.

People say that Head has made a lot of changes to the new prestige line. The feel is said to be improved a lot.

Dgdavid
02-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Power wise, I am not sure about the technicalities of the racket but I can say that with the Prestige, I can step in and hit a very powerful shot because it allows me to confidently (and accurately) apply my strength to it. I'm not sure it is a more powerful racket than the Exo3 16x18, in fact I think the Exo3 is more powerful naturally but translated into my game, I can generate my own power and the confidence with the Prestige makes the resulting shots from me more powerful than any other racket I have owned. I did play differently with the Exo3 though. Hit more spin with it. I hit flatter with the Prestige.

holytennis
02-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Thanks dgdavid. Lastly, did both feel equally heavy? They have the same Swing weights..

holytennis
02-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Also, hows the forgiveness on both the rackets? How does the MP respond on off-center shots??

Dgdavid
02-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Well, I was always told not to play with a Prestige because you have to be "brilliant" to wield it. That is not my experience at all (albeit I have only ever played with the new IG Prestige MP). Off centre hits are great with it (as far as they can be). Just feels very solid and stable. Both feel very nice in the hand and similar weight but Prestige has a more substantial feel to it. In play, Prestige feels more solid. Exo3 made me feel I could put more action on the ball than Prestige vs. Prestige having more pinpoint accuracy.

Sreeram
02-06-2012, 06:26 AM
OP it narrows down to this. Exo3 Tour 18x20 is great racquet but it is extremly flexy and you need technique (taking big swing) to play a decent game with it. I liked it a lot, but I play better with a stiffer response than a flexy response. Flexy response helps me with FH but with BH I need solid response. I think Prestege will give you a Solid response. So if you have ever liked a flexy response for an all court game then go for exo3 tour. Else go for Head.

holytennis
02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
I use a Pure drive gt. I feel the sweet spot is a bit small(Strung at 58). Will the sweet spot be big enough for me if i string the ig prestige pro at 52-54? If not, then i might as well buy the Prince.

holytennis
02-06-2012, 06:45 AM
* Strung at 58 ..

Salar
05-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Hi there,
I can almost comment on this because I owned two new IG Prestige MPs (18x20) and 1 Exo3 Tour 100 (16x18 ). They are my two favourites rackets by some distance (own an IG Rad Pro, APDGT, Bio500Tour etc).

Not sure if this will translate but the Prestige is my favourite because for me it hits just a bit more solid and is more predictable for my game. I can go for winners much more easily with the Prestige. I use the Exo3 for doubles though and it is fantastic for that. Also, there is a wealth of knowledge about customising the Exo3 on this Board so fine tuning would be very easy. The reason I don't is simply that the Prestige is the first racket I ever had that ticked all the boxes so emphatically that I am loathe to mess with it and try anything else. That said, I would have no problem committing long term to the Exo3 if the Prestige was 'taken away' for whatever reason! You are choosing from two amazing rackets, a rare luxury...

hi David can you help me?
i play wih youtek prestige mp,and ntpr 4.5,and i thinking to switch to exo3 tour 16*18 and my reason is:
if you want to play on clay court and going for hiting corners of servisebox,witch 1 will be beter?
iam 172cm
iam afraid that missing that stable fell of prestige without gaining what i want?

Salar
05-05-2012, 03:45 PM
,which* one

TheOneHander
05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey Salar,

Having played both the Prestige MP and (currently) the Exo3 Tour, I can offer a few comparisons. The Tour will feel less solid than the Prestige, but has a lot more inherent spin and pop. This is mostly because the Tour has a relatively thin beam and low stock weight. With a few grams of lead, though, it's rock-solid. What else about your game/racquet preferences can you tell us? We can help you better that way ;)

Salar
05-06-2012, 02:50 AM
hi and thanx TheOneHander
iam atacker baseliner with huge forehand :)
its no matter witch racket be in my hand my forehand will be deadly like alwayes,eny opportunity ball on my forehand or if 3 to 5 ball come on my forehand,i wil get rhythm and i will finish my opponent.
my racket is head ouek prestige mp 18*20 full bed with sonic pro 17g and beetwen 20C' to 37C',my tention will be 57 lbs to 61.5 lbs.
i dont like to customize racket i will add an overgrip and for make low power my racket i will use string dampner, my racket is 342gr-344.6gr with and without dampner.
i have an idea that hit wih my 70% power to the service boxes corner instead of hiting hard to the baseline corner,i did it with my prestige,2 out of 3 or some time 2 out of 4 i was sucssesfull.
i want to know if it is possible to make it 4 out of 5 with exo3 16*18,then halleluya:)
i dont need more power just looking for more clearance of net and beter inside safety,and i dont need pin point controll too,just like to go for sharp angles:)

lvuong
05-06-2012, 04:57 AM
They are quite different frames. I demoed both at one point and my final choice is IG Prestige Pro. I suspected I would need more time to acclimate with the flex and the head shape of the Exo Tour which is really big at the top half. Here is my running down:

Comfort: Exo3 Tour
Precision: Prestige Pro
Power : Prestige Pro
Maneuverability: Prestige Pro
Spin: more flexible, bigger head Exo3 Tour had more inherent spin potential. Your technique will be more important factor.
Serve: Again Your technique will be more important factor. but I think Prestige Pro will make you serve better given more precision and power.

Salar
05-06-2012, 10:50 AM
o sorry i think you Misunderstanding me!!
iam not talking about serve man,iam talking about forehand and backhand,infact i want to put my forehand shots on sevicebox corner and even 1 or 1.5 meter down the servicebox corner is no problem it will be winner,and i did it again today with my prestige MP 18*20, but i want to know if it will be easyer with prince exo3 tour 100 16*18?
my fore hand is look like pros forehand not like Nadal but like Djokovic,Murray,simon,and etc...
i have very nice stable powerfull windshildwipe forehand with good control
i use semiwestern forehand grip and some time for more spin i go on edge of grip between semi western and western grip.
my serves are ok
i want go for sharp angles winner forehand and backhand

Salar
05-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Matt21
05-07-2012, 12:18 PM
I haven't hit with the Pro version of the Prestige but I have used MidPlus Prestige and Mid (but since you're not mentioning Mid, I'll leave it out of the conversation :) )

Now, in my opinion, it's simple:
Prestige = Offense
EXO3 Tour 100 = Defense

You can move your opponent around with both, but I feel like the EXO3 because of the size of the sweetspot and the spin, allows you to stay in the point longer; or work the point more (depending on how you look at it). If you get pushed back deep in the court, I think it's easier to put the ball back deep into your opponent's court off the defensive. I think there are far more winners though in the Prestige. I also think the Prestige is more of a weapon on serve, however, the EXO3T is more of a weapon on return of serve. At the end of the day, I think if your game is more offensive, you'll want to go with the Prestige. If your game is more defensive/counter-attacking, you'll want to go with the Prince EXO3T100.

Finally, the thing I like about the 18x20 over the 16x18 is that you have a wider range of power with the 18x20. I've got mine strung with hybrid of Prince Twisted 16 and Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex 17, strung in the high 40's and still feel like I could drop the tension a few more pounds to get more power.

I have a friend who plays with the 16x18 and he string his with RPM Blast 16 between 60-62 lbs, depending on how he's feeling. If you string the 18x20 in the 60's, you'd better be a very strong player with super fast racquet speed.

Dgdavid
05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Prestige = Offense
EXO3 Tour 100 = Defense

At the end of the day, I think if your game is more offensive, you'll want to go with the Prestige. If your game is more defensive/counter-attacking, you'll want to go with the Prince EXO3T100.

Salar, in my opinion, Matt hits the nail on the head between these two. If you want to drive it into corners especially with flat drives, the PMP is the best racket I have owned but having played more recently with more forgiving rackets, I think it would be hard for me to return to it. For me, if I was to return to previously rackets I have demoed, I would pick the Exo3 now purely because it is becoming increasingly obvious that I am a counter-puncher. I would go 18x20 not 16x18 but that is an educated guess because the 16x18 was the only one I tried but was maybe a bit too spinny.

I would add that my shorter time with the Prestige Pro rather than the Midplus was shortlived because I much preferred the Midplus.

TheOneHander
05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
The defense/offense comparison is pretty accurate. Not that you can't defend with a Prestige or attack with a Tour in the traditional sense, because you can. But the Tour is very forgiving and rewards spin and angles, while I find that the Prestige likes a flatter stroke and provides less pop.

Actually, now that I think about it, you can "attack" with angles and variety pretty well with the Tour if that's the kind of game you're thinking of. The spin potential and flex work really well for that, no matter where you are in the court. Also, the power levels on the two depends on what you string with. The Tour is a decently powerful stick, but can be tamed with higher tensions or poly. The Prestige Pro has a bit of pop as well, but I find it to be less powerful than the Tour. Realistically, I think you'd be better off with the Tours, they're great sticks!

Dgdavid
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM
The defense/offense comparison is pretty accurate. Not that you can't defend with a Prestige or attack with a Tour in the traditional sense, because you can. But the Tour is very forgiving and rewards spin and angles, while I find that the Prestige likes a flatter stroke and provides less pop.

Actually, now that I think about it, you can "attack" with angles and variety pretty well with the Tour if that's the kind of game you're thinking of. The spin potential and flex work really well for that, no matter where you are in the court. Also, the power levels on the two depends on what you string with. The Tour is a decently powerful stick, but can be tamed with higher tensions or poly. The Prestige Pro has a bit of pop as well, but I find it to be less powerful than the Tour. Realistically, I think you'd be better off with the Tours, they're great sticks!

OneHander, I note in your sig that you have the 16x18. I take it you preferred it to the 18x20. Any reasons you can share? Can you flatten out the 16x18 and get good control/accuracy if strung lowish with a poly?

TheOneHander
05-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I find that my string setup gives me great controlled power. I can still swing out with it and hit flat shots when needed, but most groundies have a little extra zip because of the low tension BHBR. That being said, though, I don't hit flat too often, but when I do the racquet does everything it's supposed to. Now, you won't get the precision of a smaller-headed stick, but it's nothing to scoff at.

As for the 18x20, I never got much time to spend with it. I tend to hit with a fair amount of spin, and I really just bought my first 16x18 on a whim, so I never gave the 18x20 too much thought. Also, having four less strings is nice as a home stringer, as it saves a few feet here and there. That being said, though, I am contemplating an 18x20. I've been hitting a few denser patterned frames and enjoy the control and flatter trajectory they provide. My only qualm about the 16x18 is that it feels a bit too open and springy sometimes, so the same stick with a denser pattern might just be perfect.

TheBoom
05-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Is it easier redirecting pace with the tour or prestige? I tried the tour a while ago but not against anyone who hit very hard and have begun gathering interest in it again so I was wondering how it preformed there?

Salar
05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I haven't hit with the Pro version of the Prestige but I have used MidPlus Prestige and Mid (but since you're not mentioning Mid, I'll leave it out of the conversation :) )

Prestige = Offense
EXO3 Tour 100 = Defense

If you string the 18x20 in the 60's, you'd better be a very strong player with super fast racquet speed.

thanx guys,Matt yes iam in good shape,i can do 20 onehand pushup that a normal guy cant do even 1, and you can extend it to all of my muscles all are good in speed,power... etc.
iam not agree wih you and DgDavid about the EXO3 is a defense or conterpuncher racket,because the head size isnt the only factor,a good counterpucher racket must have high stiffness,thick frame and forgiveness head size(can be different for evryone),and head heavy light racket or heavy racket that is slightly head light.for example you can check Head YOUTEK IG Extreme Pro for counterpuncher style racket and Head YOUTEK IG Radical Pro or Head YOUTEK Radical Pro for defensive style.
if you want i can explane more and told you my reasons about it.
now with your help i decide to buy the EXO3TOUR in my city the grip 4 not available and i must wait for 1 or 2 months.

tata
05-10-2012, 05:05 AM
I rekon the tour is really versatile in it that it can be both offense or defense. Though if you opt for the offense play you should lead it up to up the power and plow. The tour does swing quite light and fast through the air and it has a big forgiving sweetpot which is good for scrambling on the court. RHS is pretty easy to generate on it so you can really rip the ball.