PDA

View Full Version : Is 8 points HL extreme?

user92626
02-05-2012, 02:07 PM
TW lists Speed Elite at 303 grs strung, 2 points HL.

But this racket feel too light for me so I put blue tac in buttcap and it now weighs 330 grams, 8 pts HL. Is that extreme for a racket? Anyone plays like that? Thanks.

Fuji
02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Nawh, 8 points is pretty comfortable for most people. If you are 12.0oz+, 8 points gives you that extra bit of whip and ease of strokes. :)

-Fuji

vegasgt3
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I play 8.5 HL, but I have a one-handed backhand. I like up to 10, then its too much for me

kaiser
02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
No, 10-11 pts HL is nothing out of the ordinary, especially with heavier rackets.

But in what way does your racket feel light? Adding weight to the handle is not going to add much, if anything, to the effective hitting weight of the racket. For that you'd need to add some mass to the racket head.

user92626
02-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Fuji and Vega

What's your racket's static weight?

At 330 grams static weight, is 8pt HL too much for taking away power?

user92626
02-05-2012, 02:30 PM
No, 10-11 pts HL is nothing out of the ordinary, especially with heavier rackets.

But in what way does your racket feel light? Adding weight to the handle is not going to add much, if anything, to the effective hitting weight of the racket. For that you'd need to add some mass to the racket head.

I added weight to the handle, hoping for two things: more stability and slowing down my swing a bit. Can i acheive that?

I don't add weight to the hoop because I don't like the sight of lead tape!!! (I guess I could put it under bumper but it's so difficult).

It seems like you're right. The power increase is minimal, but there's still some since it's effectively a heavier racket.

Fuji
02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Fuji and Vega

What's your racket's static weight?

At 330 grams static weight, is 8pt HL too much for taking away power?

My Aero Storms are sitting pretty at 13.0oz right now, and balanced @ 6 points. They feel very club like, quite similar to my old KPS88's. If I wanted more whip I'd definitely be making that balance closer to 10pt HL. I hit fairly "flat" so it works for me.

Yours being 11.6-11.7oz, it should be comfortable to hit with, and not loose much power at all. :)

-Fuji

anirut
02-05-2012, 06:52 PM
No hard and fast rules, as usual.

Start off with your swing/playing style, then blend these three factors well to suit your style: weight, balance and SW.

Numbers are just numbers. I've been in that looking-for-the-right-numbers adjustment before, and I learnt that it doesn't mean as much as "it feels right".

Adjust for what suits you best. I have a myriad of rackets of different weights, balances & SWs, all adjusted to my style of play. I can grab any of them at any time and go play with ease. No problemo. Provided the strings are in good shape, of course.

user92626
02-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys

I have one more question.

Is it a valid comparison when you compare two rackets with the same static weights and HL points to get the SW?

Say, the racket that most similiar to my 330grs static, 8pts HL is Prostaff 6.1 95. Can I assume my racket's swingweight is around 306 ?

Sreeram
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys

I have one more question.

Is it a valid comparison when you compare two rackets with the same static weights and HL points to get the SW?

Say, the racket that most similiar to my 330grs static, 8pts HL is Prostaff 6.1 95. Can I assume my racket's swingweight is around 306 ?

Answer to your first question which is on 8 PTs HL is not abnormal. But it depends on the Static weight of the racquet. if the Racuquet has static weight close to 11.8+ then 8pts HL should be fine (based on experience). Yours is 11.7oz static weight so it should not be a problem.

Since you added the weight only near butt cap your original racquet won't have any (or very little) increase in SW. So you don't need to worry about SW now.

You cannot expect two different racquets in similar specs to have same SW. SW also depends on weight distribution in the hoop.

Xpherex
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php