PDA

View Full Version : Tips on playing this type of player.

ThoughtCrime
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
There's this guy I played and I lost pretty badly. He slices heavy off both sides and the ball stays really low and he mixes up the depth and angles a lot so it's really hard to read. The skidding ball is really hard to deal with also ,so I'm wondering, what strategy would be best for this type of player.

Shaochieh
02-06-2012, 12:06 AM
You on clay or hard courts? It is even harder on clay to deal with them. I play with one here in Germany and you must able to dictate the point first to move them around. If you don't move them the player will eat you up.

OTMPut
02-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Slicing a no-pace ball is hard. Try taking the pace off a bit and moon-ball a bit.

ThoughtCrime
02-06-2012, 01:12 AM
It's a kind of synthetic grass with sand which is pretty terrible. Thanks for the advice though. What about clay makes it tough though?

Chyeaah
02-06-2012, 02:16 AM
It's a kind of synthetic grass with sand which is pretty terrible. Thanks for the advice though. What about clay makes it tough though?

Oh damn. That court is bad. Esp for slices.

goran_ace
02-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Push him back with depth and/or pace. Keep him in the back court behind his baseline. It will reduce his angles and force him to have to hit that slice higher over the net. Look to come forward.

andry16
02-06-2012, 08:58 AM
do the same, alice it back if your a higuer level than him then its harder for him to play against his own game

LuckyR
02-07-2012, 11:19 AM
There's this guy I played and I lost pretty badly. He slices heavy off both sides and the ball stays really low and he mixes up the depth and angles a lot so it's really hard to read. The skidding ball is really hard to deal with also ,so I'm wondering, what strategy would be best for this type of player.

The problem isn't how to make him not slice (since that is his best and seemingly only shot, he should be able to compensate for your adjustments). Rather you need to either learn how to hit your shots off of low skidding balls or get to the net where you won't have to deal with low skidding balls.

Netzroller
02-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Maybe like this?:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2iMDmxuvRM

I've played a guy like this once and also struggled a lot. He made few error and had great stamina and I was afraid of giving him free points so it ended up being pushing at its best (or worst).
If you're able to do it, take the initiative and push him back. What I did not try that might also work is some moonballing since they can be very hard to slice.

Orion3
02-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Sounds to me like really old school grass court tennis.

Does he come in after hitting the slices or is he playing a hybrid game? A grass court tennis baseliner?

If its the latter, suggest you try attacking him - take the net and volley (works if he he is an old school S&V too).

Hitting passing shots/lobs with a slice is tricky and if he starts feeling pressure to hit winners with no time to prepare - it may break up his game.

LeeD
02-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Agree attempting low fast passing shots is tough for slicers.
Disagree! Slicers often have the best low defensive lobs, because they have the best height control of their shots, and slices tend to die before going too long.

charliefedererer
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Another tactic to try -see if you can "hit him off the court" because he doesn't have the ability to hit you off the court. (He doesn't have the ability to get you into a big forehand to forehand exchange, and suddenly put one away hard down the line.)

To add to your safety margin, direct your forehands and backhands deep crosscourt to the corners.

Forcing your opponent to hit on the run increases the chances one of the balls will float and fall short, allowing you to hit an approach up the line, or if really short and "floaty", a put away.

Another variant is after your deep crosscout hit to the corner, follow with a shorter crosscourt ball (even a sliced drop shot) that will make him run further.

These players are often good at recovering back to the open court they just vacated to get a deep ball to the corner - try hitting behind them on occasion, or if this is working, fairly frequently.

Be sure to split step every time he hits the ball to get moving, as you are going to have a tough time with some short angled balls from him.

Anticipate when he is "in trouble" running wide and deep, so you can sneak a step or two inside the baseline, expecting a short reply.

Be sure to anticipate the low bounces and prepare to hit with your body position lower than usual. It's a lot easier to push up with your legs than to suddenly have to squat down off a low bounce.
Because backboards don't hit topspin, and you may have trouble finding a hitting partner who doesn't hit with a lot of topspin, preparing for a match with this guy may involve a little more backboard hitting.)

Good luck!