PDA

View Full Version : Somebody knowledgeable and experience with lead racquet customizing, PLZ help!

aerivus
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
First of all, I'll explain the background of the situation.

I tried Pure Storm Gt and liked the feel of it. I bought it used from this site in a mint condition. When I hit with it, I didn't like how even balanced it was (1pt HL reported by TW). Before leading it up, I wanted to see how much weight i wanted to put in, so I added about 11 gram in the trapdoor with coins.

I liked the setting with coins, and since my leather grip and lead tape have arrived, and since coins are giving me weird vibration whenever I hit off-sweet spot (It's a noticeable metallic vibration), I was going to put lead tape & leather grip to have about the same HL setting.

So there, after the practice today, I unwrapped the replacement grip, only to figure out that there were already 10g worth of lead tapes on 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th bevels. The seller must have forgotten to mention that it was already leaded up, and I didnt even notice and went on to add more weight with coins!

Seeing this, I went to measure my racquet, 334 - 11.8oz. I'm actually kind of impressed, since i thought i wouldn't be able to handle heavier racquets (11.5 +), yet I swing my racquet right now with ease. However, I'm still not a fan of a heavy racquet (I dont want to have tennis right arm).

Now, I have no idea how much HL my racquet is, since the stock is 312g precise, i've added about 22g of weight on the handle. To think that i was actually thinking that the added weight to handle with coins was not enough... its crazy.

I wanted to see how HL it is by looking at "http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php", but whenever I put in my racquet's stock specs (312g, 27 in, 32.5 cm balance) it says the racquet itself is already 5.6 HL as of stock. I know Pure storm is around even-balanced for a fact, so it is not accurate.

Questions.

Can somebody tell me how HL it is my racquet as of now? 312 stock weight and 22g added to the handle starting balance at 1 point HL.

If i were to add more weight (around 8g~10g) on the handle on top of that 334 setting with over grip and little more lead than intended, how HL would it be?

Is getting super headlight like this bad in anyway? I'm guessing my racquet as of now is at least 5 point HL.

If i were to do all this, i should have just bought PS LTD GT since its about the same weight with higher HL...
I have a big ladder challenge tomorrow, that i have to play a kid who is lower ranked. I need to clean my racquet up by tonight,
Help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you for reading!

diredesire
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
You "input" the balance point, which is measured as the distance from the (I believe) butt end of the racquet.

If you want to measure your frame itself, just do the following:

Get a wooden dowel, or PVC pipe, or SOMETHING round. Roll the racquet around until you find the exact point where it balances.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=280265
This is what it should look like.

Measure this point from the butt end of the racquet.

Measure the "halfway" point of your racquet. In theory, this is 13.5"

In the case that your racquet deformed a little bit (and is shorter or longer than normal), you might want to use the nominal length as your reference length (depends how ana.. "precise" you want to be).

Compare the two --> 1 "point" headlight/headheavy is 1/8 of an inch.

aerivus
02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Finally done with customizing. I added more lead so that without any grip, my PST was at 313g. Then I put on Babolat Natural leather grip which made me surprised that the grip added 24g (That's how much its supposed to weigh when you measure the entire thing without cutting any part). Then I put on an over grip which added extra 4g.

My PST is not at 341g (12 oz) and 9.4 HL..
I would have never thought that I would use 12oz racquet, but it just turned out this way. Now all I've gotta do is to do a load of push-ups with my left arm only whenever i go to hit tennis.
I will experiment this new customization to the challenger.

diredesire
02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Finally done with customizing. I added more lead so that without any grip, my PST was at 313g. Then I put on Babolat Natural leather grip which made me surprised that the grip added 24g (That's how much its supposed to weigh when you measure the entire thing without cutting any part). Then I put on an over grip which added extra 4g.

My PST is not at 341g (12 oz) and 9.4 HL..
I would have never thought that I would use 12oz racquet, but it just turned out this way. Now all I've gotta do is to do a load of push-ups with my left arm only whenever i go to hit tennis.
I will experiment this new customization to the challenger.

Cool, glad you got it sorted. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with an especially head light racquet. I prefer it for the mass to swing weight ratio. Tends to move nicely at the net, too.

As far as the imbalance issue in your arms, I think if you do any sort of regular workout, you shouldn't get too "Popeye"d ;) Most tennis players see it as "earning your stripes." At least that's what I tell myself...