PDA

View Full Version : August Weather in South Florida

Lee
07-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Hey guys,

I will be going to the Evert Academy for a week in late August. What is the weather like in Miami/Boca Raton during that time? I don't mind the scorching heat, but I am weary of the thunderstorms and typhoons. Please let me know if this should be a concern.

I appreciate your input! Oh yeah, and if you would like to hit during my stay at south florida, please let me know! I am a solid 4.0, 4.5 on a good day, and looking to be a consistent 4.5 by the time I am done with the one week training session.

Thanks!

Jason

gifted_shotmaker
07-21-2005, 05:51 AM
Hey guys,

I will be going to the Evert Academy for a week in late August. What is the weather like in Miami/Boca Raton during that time? I don't mind the scorching heat, but I am weary of the thunderstorms and typhoons. Please let me know if this should be a concern.

I appreciate your input! Oh yeah, and if you would like to hit during my stay at south florida, please let me know! I am a solid 4.0, 4.5 on a good day, and looking to be a consistent 4.5 by the time I am done with the one week training session.

Thanks!

Jason (jasonlee@berkeley.edu)

I'm in Central Florida, but I have visited down in Boca before. Around Florida, it is usually unpredictable weather during the summer. Some days there's a major drencher which dries up in about an hour. Other days the rain is really on and off, and at times there is even no rain but just scorching heat. That's basically how the summer goes in Florida. If you by chance come to Central Florida give me a buzz. I'm about 4 hours from Boca Raton, though. I'm a solid 3.5, 4.0 or a bit better on a good day, and like you looking to establish consistency in playing level. Are you a college student already? For all schools except college, I guess, the start of the school year in Florida is the beginning of August.

NoBadMojo
07-21-2005, 07:50 AM
typical Florida weather is the heat builds up throughout the day and the sky has no choice but to cry each day mid to late afternoon..it helps to cool things down a bit..i bet the on court activity will start early..it is a bit cooler then and pretty much sunny everyday. wear a hat, be hydrated, use spf and you will be fine...but have realistic expectations about your improvement and dont expect anything majour to happen in a week. also good idea to come to camp as fit as you can..have fun!

simi
07-21-2005, 08:23 PM
No typhoons in Florida! But, those are the same things as hurricanes and the Atlantic hurricane season is over November 1st. Expect variable weather. Summer thunderstorms common. High humidity and warm temperatures. Drink lots of water. Get out of the open if it starts thundering. More people get struck by lightening in Florida that the rest of the United States combined. Enjoy your camp. Give us a report afterward, if you have the time.

(Typhoons occur in the Western Pacific. Same type of cyclonic storm as hurricanes, just a different name. In the Atlantic and eastern Pacific, they are called hurricanes.) Just wanted to set you straight, guess it is just too much of teaching Meteorology in the local college.

Lee
07-21-2005, 10:42 PM
wow! Thanks for the input, guys. With these crazy weather, I don't know if I should still make the trip to Florida in August. I suppose I can train with my pro here in the Bay Area and head over to Everst when the weather gets better over there... I really appreciate your thoughts!

Matt H.
08-01-2005, 10:36 PM
i just finished up college and moving back to south FL (Ft. Lauderdale, roughly 15 mins from Evert Acadamy) the end of this week. I'm a 4.5 and gotta find new hitting partners. If you do come down there to train i'd be down with hitting.

MLoutch
08-02-2005, 07:19 AM
lee

sorry i couldn't get with you when i was at CAL - my wife and i played at the Rose Garden courts - awesome view from court 1 -

as for boca we vacation there alot - heat will be high 80's to mid 90's - very humid 60%+++ (i live in Houston - we have same weather)

most days you get a breif rain shower - mostly between 230pm - 4pm - (very good for the clay courts).

so far this year all of the developing storms are heading way south into the Gulf of Mexico - east coast of Florida looks good this year. living in Houston (or anywhere on the gulf coast) you tend to track and pay attention to such things alot. Evert is a great facility - been there and my daughter goes every year. very nice tennis shop down the street called Stuart's - worth a visit if there.
also if you have a car Delray Beach is only a few minutes away and the tennis center there is awesome - a few pro's live in the area and they work out there and at Everts -

rgds