PDA

View Full Version : New to Polyester strings

bbulla
02-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Hi,

I'm getting back into stringing after about 15 years. When I strung, polyester wasn't really an option. I've recently strung two tennis racquets that had 16g polyester, but I recommended a 17g synthetic since they were both looking for more spin, and cost was an issue. Neither of them were string breakers.

What is the ideal 'player profile' for polyester strings? I was thinking it should be a frequent string breaker and a heavy hitter, which neither of these two players were.

Please let me know your thought.

Thanks,

KerryR
02-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Check out the Guts and Glory Tennis blog for a 'modern' approach to polyester stringing. The gist is to use lower tension (30-45ish # reference) full poly setups, perhaps with different poly's in the mains and crosses, tailored to the player's specific needs/goals. Many players find increased spin capability, along with less need for 'excessive' spin to keep the ball in, with lower tension poly's. The string job also tends to last longer than conventional tension poly jobs.

rufusbgood
02-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Jeepers Kerry. The guy is dipping his toe into the water down at the shallow end of the pool and you direct him to the stairs for the high diving board?

Basically, bbula, you've got it right. The ideal candidate for poly is a hard hitting string breaker. We just had a somewhat heated discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=408531&page=6) here about whether lower level players derive any benefit from poly. I am of the opinion that they can, others here scoff at the idea.

Have you tried poly in your own racquet(s)?

bbulla
02-07-2012, 08:45 AM
No I have not tried any polys. I'm more of a NXT/NRG2 guy myself, but will need to try some out just to see how they feel. What brand would you recommend stocking for a home based stringing business? I was thinking of a reel of Gosen Polylon (17g??) might be a good fit for most of the players I'm dealing with.

KerryR
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Jeepers Kerry. The guy is dipping his toe into the water down at the shallow end of the pool and you direct him to the stairs for the high diving board?

Just thought it was good stuff to be familiar with-- it's the sort of thing that's under contention in the community at the moment.

I've found players of a wide variety of levels (up to 4.oish in my circle, I don't string for anyone better than that... yet) find they often prefer the lower tension poly thing. Depends on how they hit, it seems.

Kerry

bbulla
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
From what I have read, poly strings don't retain tension very well. Is that right? And if so, then it doesn't make sense to put it in a racquet of someone who doesn't break strings.

KerryR
02-07-2012, 09:54 AM
The story goes that HIGH tension poly's don't retain tension well-- the high tension uses up most of the available limited elasticity, so the string stops recoiling after a few hard hits. Lower tensions don't use up as much of the elasticity, and so hold tension longer. This varies wildly, though, from brand to brand.

rufusbgood
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM
How much tension is lost I think is dependent in large part on how hard a player hits. I am going to avoid making generalizations and give you a specific example. This is a female 3.0-3.5 with college aged kids. Racquet is Head LM8. SBS readings (ERT-700) were taken immediately after stringing and immediately before cutting strings out. It seems to me she loses tension more quickly with the multifilaments than with Fluoro.

http://i43.tinypic.com/v2toqx.jpg

BigT
02-08-2012, 03:23 PM
From what I have read, poly strings don't retain tension very well. Is that right? And if so, then it doesn't make sense to put it in a racquet of someone who doesn't break strings.

Great observation. If they don't break, they should be switched at about the 2 week mark. Most players do not abide by that, and then get arm issues.

fortun8son
02-10-2012, 04:17 PM
What brand would you recommend stocking for a home based stringing business? I was thinking of a reel of Gosen Polylon (17g??) might be a good fit for most of the players I'm dealing with.
Heavens, No!
Don't go for the cheapest. Polyon has very few friends.
A good, middle of the road poly is some thing like Signum Pro Poly Plasma.
If you need to save bucks, Pro's Pro Pure Power is an excellent alternative.
I use the 1.28mm

COPEY
02-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I made that mistake and bought a reel of Polylon when I first got my machine. It's sitting in a drawer gathering dust.

fortun8son
02-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I can't GIVE mine away!
I'm afraid they'll come back with their medical bills!
Seriously, I lost some early clients by recommending that stuff.