PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight to a RDIS 100mp

adso1973
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

Last weekend I've been playtesting a k6.1 95 against my RDIS 100mp and was wondering what whould be the effect of leading the Yonex up with the wilson specifications.

So, has anyone leaded up a RDIS100mp to Strung Weight: 12.2oz / 345.86g, Balance: 10 pts HL.

Other question, I didn't find any thread about adding sillicone to a yonex handle, as I believe it doesn't have a trap door as the head ones, do I have to take out the butcup?

Thanks!

gngroup
02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I have been playing with the Wilson k90 (362g, 31.8 balance) for about 4 years now. However, I've been out for a few months after torn ligaments in my ankle and upon returning I'm struggling to get my consistency back. The reality that I'm only a 4.5 player at best and need to hit 3-4 times per week to play well with the k90 is setting in.

That said, I recently purchased a couple of Yonex RDiS 100mp's on sale. I weighted them up to similar specs as my k90's (they are now 361g, 31.7 balance). I used a long strip of lead from about 9 to 3 and then a TW 1.5mm leather grip + a Wilson overgrip. They definitely feel good at this weight. I do get the benefit of a bigger sweetspot and a more forgiving frame. However, I am losing a few mph's on my groundstrokes and definitely on my serve. Not sure if I will make the switch permanent. . .

counterpuncher
02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
So, has anyone leaded up a RDIS100mp to Strung Weight: 12.2oz / 345.86g, Balance: 10 pts HL.

Other question, I didn't find any thread about adding sillicone to a yonex handle, as I believe it doesn't have a trap door as the head ones, do I have to take out the butcup?

I leaded mine up to 342g with a balance of about 9HL. I added an overgrip (+5g) and about 4g of lead tape from 11 across to 1. It played with a bigger sweetspot and far more solid. For me I need the sweetspot up high in the stringbed, so I wouldn't add more weight to the handle.

You can't add silicone easily to the handle unfortunately, as it is a completely foam filled handle and their is no trap door in the butt cap.

Your best bet is to use a leather grip for added weight, or replace the butt cap with a Wilson or Babolat trap door variety and add a little silicone, as they are a straight fit.

sargeinaz
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I have been playing with the Wilson k90 (362g, 31.8 balance) for about 4 years now. However, I've been out for a few months after torn ligaments in my ankle and upon returning I'm struggling to get my consistency back. The reality that I'm only a 4.5 player at best and need to hit 3-4 times per week to play well with the k90 is setting in.

That said, I recently purchased a couple of Yonex RDiS 100mp's on sale. I weighted them up to similar specs as my k90's (they are now 361g, 31.7 balance). I used a long strip of lead from about 9 to 3 and then a TW 1.5mm leather grip + a Wilson overgrip. They definitely feel good at this weight. I do get the benefit of a bigger sweetspot and a more forgiving frame. However, I am losing a few mph's on my groundstrokes and definitely on my serve. Not sure if I will make the switch permanent. . .

Might want to try making them slightly lighter than your K90. They probably dont swing through the air as quick as the K90 because theyre larger and have a wider beam. The slightly lower weight should allow you to get more racket head speed and you may gain the MPHs on groundstrokes and serves back.

gngroup
02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Might want to try making them slightly lighter than your K90. They probably dont swing through the air as quick as the K90 because theyre larger and have a wider beam. The slightly lower weight should allow you to get more racket head speed and you may gain the MPHs on groundstrokes and serves back.

That's a good point! I've been tinkering with them for a few weeks but definitely haven't found the right blend of weight and string tension. It seems to me that this frame is very dependent on both. For what it's worth, I strung the first time at 56 lbs and it felt too tight; 54 lbs next and same conclusion. It's currently at 52/48 lbs and feels pretty good. (my k90's are strung at 49/46).