PDA

View Full Version : Removing silicone from handle?

thug the bunny
02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm eyeballing a used YTK Pres Mid that has been customized with silicone in the handle. If I choose to, will I be able to remove (most of) it?

scotus
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm eyeballing a used YTK Pres Mid that has been customized with silicone in the handle. If I choose to, will I be able to remove (most of) it?

Maybe take a power drill to it?

ATP100
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Easy Answer: Yes

jmjmkim
02-07-2012, 02:01 PM
take the butt out and you can scrape most of it out. I did it with my Rebels because there was a rattling noise in the frame.

nkjwlf
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
If its the same ad I saw that weight is for a strung racquet. The weight listed on TW is for unstrung without an overgrip. The racquet is likely not too heavy for you. Silicone in the handle would decrease vibration, make the racquet feel more solid, and make it more headlight anyways, I believe you wouldn't even notice the difference.

TaihtDuhShaat
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
A long screwdriver works to break it up, and then you can usually get most of it out in clumps.

nkjwlf
02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I was wrong. TW does list weight as strung weight. I still dont believe you would have a problem with weight. Is that the only reason you want to remove the silicone? Have you ever played with a racquet with silicone in handle?

thug the bunny
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Never played with silicone (at least not in a racket :wink:). The stick I'm looking at is on obay, strung wt is 13.6. My heaviest current frame is my
KPS88 (I forgot, 12.6 strung?), so I'm thinking 13+ might be a bit much. I'll give it a go though, now that it looks as though I shouldn't have too much problem removing it..

gramdacious
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
cordless power drill with some finesse should do it. Run t backwards and forwards gently. I had no problem taking silicone out of the handle for the wifey doing it that way.

alidisperanza
02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
cordless power drill with some finesse should do it. Run t backwards and forwards gently. I had no problem taking silicone out of the handle for the wifey doing it that way.

yup, a combination of this and a long screw driver will do the trick. Just be careful not to nick the inside of the handle with the bit.

ChicagoJack
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Never played with silicone (at least not in a racket)

I have 55g of silicone injected into the handles of my frames. So that would make my racquets what... at least DD? Sorry, couldn't resist. By the way you might try hitting with that frame first before taking off all the weight, you will either like it or you won't, but either way you'll feel more certain about the choice. I thought playing with a 13 oz frame was just crazy talk, and then I tried it, and loved it.