PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Floating Clamps

Donny0627
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
I use gamma floating clamps. However, ever since getting my machine two years ago or so, I have had repeated problems with the locking lever wearing out. I might also add that Gamma has done a great job of accomadating my problems and replacing them(time after time). I think they might be too tight. Can anyone who uses these clamps tell me how tight they make theirs for 17g poly? Maybe turn the wheel to the center until it wont turn anymore, and count the clicks? Thanks in advance.

Lsmkenpo
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
No one will be able to tell you how tight to set them from their clamps, too many other variables involved, different tensions, string coatings..... worn down or grooved jaws, compared to your setup.

How does the lever wear out? do you have to tighten it way down to keep from slipping? Have you ever cleaned the inside of the jaws with alcohol to remove residue and silicone? Any grooves inside the jaws from over tightening? If you see grooves, here is a trick to make them hold again. Take a business card cut it in two, bend each part in half and use it to clamp between both sides of the jaws and string, the clamps will hold and not slip with minimal tension using the business card trick, better than they did when they were new.

Maui19
02-08-2012, 02:52 AM
There are two ways that those Gamma clamps feel tight. One is through feedback from the clamp against the string. The other is the friction of the clamping lever against the side of the clamp. If your clamp feels tight from the latter, then you may not be clamping the string tight enough. I find that I need to clean and lubricate (with wax) the clamping lever cam fairly frequently so that it works smoothly and doesn't trick me into thinking I am clamping the string tightly.

Donny0627
02-08-2012, 06:10 PM
No one will be able to tell you how tight to set them from their clamps, too many other variables involved, different tensions, string coatings..... worn down or grooved jaws, compared to your setup.

How does the lever wear out? do you have to tighten it way down to keep from slipping? Have you ever cleaned the inside of the jaws with alcohol to remove residue and silicone? Any grooves inside the jaws from over tightening? If you see grooves, here is a trick to make them hold again. Take a business card cut it in two, bend each part in half and use it to clamp between both sides of the jaws and string, the clamps will hold and not slip with minimal tension using the business card trick, better than they did when they were new.

The lever just seems to wear out from normal use(after like 3 months)

I clean the clamps regularly, maybe every 3-4 stringjobs

Grooves didnt seem to be a problem, but yes I have heard of the buisiness card trick before. I dont know how well this would work with flying clamps though

I was more or less looking for a general tightness. I wanted to see if I was overtightening significantly, not a couple clicks off (as I figured this would not do this much damage) The way I tighten them now, I can feel very very tiny surface marks in the pro hurricane 17g. Is this normal?

Thanks

Lsmkenpo
02-09-2012, 12:00 AM
The lever just seems to wear out from normal use(after like 3 months)

I clean the clamps regularly, maybe every 3-4 stringjobs

Grooves didnt seem to be a problem, but yes I have heard of the buisiness card trick before. I dont know how well this would work with flying clamps though

I was more or less looking for a general tightness. I wanted to see if I was overtightening significantly, not a couple clicks off (as I figured this would not do this much damage) The way I tighten them now, I can feel very very tiny surface marks in the pro hurricane 17g. Is this normal?

Thanks

I don't understand how the lever can wear out unless they are being overtightened and damaging the cam surface when they are locked.

If your string feels roughed up the clamps are probably slipping.

The combination of above, suggest to me they are worn down or grooved and have to be overtightened , sometimes it is hard to spot this, remove the c-clip from the lever and take them completely apart to inspect them. Inspect them in sunlight.

If they are worn the card trick should work with these clamps for the mains, and it shouldn't require a lot of pressure to hold without slipping.

You could shoot a message to the Gammatech guy on this forum about the problem also.

Gamma Tech
02-09-2012, 04:05 AM
When the handle of the clamp is engaged the cam rolling over center provides the leverage required to keep the clamp closed. The more it rolls over center the more force is applied. Too much force will begin crushing the nylon material and the cam will start rounding off. Once that happens it's kind of down hill from there. The plastic is actually filled with glass for strength, but I think that some earlier models may have had less and are not as strong as others.
Keep in mind that the clamp will reach a certain point where it will not matter how much the clamp adjustment knob has been turned and a lot of the clamp pressure will only transfer to the cam surfaces.
You might want to try and determine what the minimal amount of force is required to keep the string you are using clamped. Try setting up for a pull with some scrap string and with a black marker put a line across the string and clamp. Back off the clamp pressure and make a pull. You'll be able to see if the string is slipping by looking at the black line and seeing if anything moved. Play around with the tension going up or down until the string is just slipping a little bit. Then tighten slightly from there.

Irvin
02-09-2012, 04:41 AM
You might want to try and determine what the minimal amount of force is required to keep the string you are using clamped. Try setting up for a pull with some scrap string and with a black marker put a line across the string and clamp. Back off the clamp pressure and make a pull. You'll be able to see if the string is slipping by looking at the black line and seeing if anything moved. Play around with the tension going up or down until the string is just slipping a little bit. Then tighten slightly from there.

+1 there is no other way as far as I am concerned. If you don't know what your clamp will and will not hold you are lost.