PDA

View Full Version : More comfortable racket than Bab PureDrive GT?

Herr_Rossi46
02-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Hello,

I usually play the Dunlop AG4D 200 16x19 and like it's precision, feel and comfort pretty much.
But recently I played with a Babolat PureDrive GT and was stunned how easy it was to hit a heavy deep ball with lots of spin. I was able to hit a lot of winners from the baseline and had far less problems with defensive shots.
Apparently, I had the impression that the Bab is pretty heavy on the arm and it lacks the feel of the Dunlop which made it a bit hard to hit drop shots.

So now, I am looking for another alternative. Maybe you have some suggestions.

Where is the difference between Pure Drive and Aero Pro Drive? Is the APD less harsh on the arm (had especially slight problems with the wrist)?

Thanks in advance...

Herr_Rossi46

scotus
02-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Pure Drive and Aero Pro Drive are both harsh on the arm. Pure Drive is, I think, 2 points stiffer, so maybe a bit harsher.

I have seen some who look for a little more arm comfort at the same power level as PD turn to Dunlop 500 Tour and Volkl Organix 8 315g. You ought to also look at the offerings from ProKennex. I am sure there are other alternatives that I can't think of at the moment.

Ramon
02-08-2012, 03:09 AM
I have the APDGT, and I'm going to demo some more comfortable racquets to replace it. Here's the thread I started:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=412068

I just ordered 4 demos from TW. The ones I'm getting are:

Prince EXO3 Tour 100 16x18
Pro Kennex Ki5
Volkyl Organix 10 325g
Pacific X Force Pro 16x20

I should be getting them tonight. The feedback I've gotten from other posters is the Pro Kennex might be the closest in play to the APDGT. I played with my friend's EXO3 Tour 100 18x20, and I can easily see myself using it.

Hi I'm Ray
02-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Hello,

I usually play the Dunlop AG4D 200 16x19 and like it's precision, feel and comfort pretty much.
But recently I played with a Babolat PureDrive GT and was stunned how easy it was to hit a heavy deep ball with lots of spin. I was able to hit a lot of winners from the baseline and had far less problems with defensive shots.
Apparently, I had the impression that the Bab is pretty heavy on the arm and it lacks the feel of the Dunlop which made it a bit hard to hit drop shots.

Where is the difference between Pure Drive and Aero Pro Drive? Is the APD less harsh on the arm (had especially slight problems with the wrist)?

Thanks in advance...

Herr_Rossi46

The APDGT is noticeably more comfortable than the PDGT. Back when I demoed the APDGT and PDGT from TW they both came strung at the same tension with the same multi string. I couldn't play with the PDGT because it was way too harsh. The APDGT on the other hand felt comfortable for me. The flex rating numbers don't tell the whole story, there are several rackets that have flexible rating but feel quite stiff and vice versa. I have been using the APDGT with a soft poly main and syn gut cross usually @ 53lbs for about 1.5years and it has not given any problems. The Boris Becker DC Pro has a similar power level as the PDGT but is a very comfortable frame.

Have you tried altering your string set up for more power yet?

ghia
02-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Herr_Rossi46,

I am a 200 16x19 user and ex pd user (it trashed my shoulder).

Do you use the same string setup for the two racquets?

All I can sugest is explore more strings at different tensions. Because this 200 "lite" feels unbelieveble with low tension polys. You will not find the magic dunlop feel in anything else:( by the way (sorry!)
For me a 1.25 kirschbaum pro line 2 at 21/20 lkg (44/42 in lbs) or 20/19 (about 46/44 lbs), depending on temperature, is perfect.
It not only increases the sweetspot but gives plenty of power and spin for easy winners so that I do not feel the need for a pd or any other more powerfull racquet!

Limpinhitter
02-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Hello,

Thanks in advance...

Herr_Rossi46

Try the PD+. Even though it's got the same stiffness rating as the PD, it is noticably more flexible in the shaft, and noticably more comfortable. The APD feels so different from the PD that if you like the PD, you may not like the APD at all.

richsox
02-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Try VS Touch natural gut. I use it mine, at 57lbs.

my76
02-08-2012, 07:10 AM
What you are looking for is a Prokennex Ki15 PSE or if that's too heavy then get a Ki15 and customize it to your preferred specs.I had the same type of experience with a Pure drive a couple of years ago, the Pure Drive destroyed my arm in no time and it wasn't until I found the Ki 15 that I found the same kind of playability in an arm friendly racket.The Ki5 will not give you that Pure drive type of power or spin but Ki15 definitely will.

Herr_Rossi46
02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Herr_Rossi46,

I am a 200 16x19 user and ex pd user (it trashed my shoulder).

Do you use the same string setup for the two racquets?

All I can sugest is explore more strings at different tensions. Because this 200 "lite" feels unbelieveble with low tension polys. You will not find the magic dunlop feel in anything else:( by the way (sorry!)
For me a 1.25 kirschbaum pro line 2 at 21/20 lkg (44/42 in lbs) or 20/19 (about 46/44 lbs), depending on temperature, is perfect.
It not only increases the sweetspot but gives plenty of power and spin for easy winners so that I do not feel the need for a pd or any other more powerfull racquet!

I play my Dunlop 200 Lite either with RPM Blast at 22/22kg or with Hybrid RPM Blast/RIP Control at 22/22. The PDs (borrowed two frames from a friend) were strung with Solinco Vanquish at 24/24 and Hybrid Lux Alu 24/ Solinco Vanquish 25.
It was really nice and easy to play those rackets, so i really think about some testing in this direction.
Maybe the APDGT is a possible choice since some people said it is not as harsh on the arm. But I am also very interested in Dunlop Bio 400 Tour spec wise. Does anyone have some comments about this racket?

The Big Kahuna
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
According to the GUTS AND GLORY website, the most comfortable and arm-friendly racquets for 2011 were:

Head LM Radical OS
Pacific X Feel Tour
Head Microgel Radical OS
Head YOUTEK Radical OS & Pro
Volkl DNX 10 Mid
ProKennex Redondo Mid & MP
Avery A5 OS
ProKennex Black Ace 93 & 98
Donnay X Black 94
Donnay X Blue 99
Donnay XP Dual
ProKennex Ki5
ProKennex Heritage Type R
Pacific X Force
Pacific X Force Pro
ProKennex Heritage Type C
Prince EX03 Tour

Recoveringhobo
02-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I also use an AG 4D 200 16x19 and have used other Babolats in the past (Pure Storm). You'll lose a lot of control and feel with the PD.

I cannot emphasize enough what ghia said. The 200 16x19 plays best with a low tension poly. I personally get mine strung at 48 or 50 but I think I may try moving it down even farther. The racquet is extremely low powered in stock form so I think it needs a lower tension for power, though it also makes it feel plusher. Also, I've added 4 grams of lead to the racquet at 3 and 9 for stability and a larger sweet spot.

Don't give up on the 200 16x19 - it's a wonderful stick. It definitely would have been more popular if it had a better paintjob in it's Biomimetic incarnation or if it had been sold with the rest of the Aerogel line. My only complaint is that its head size can feel a little small for 95 sq. inches. I wish that in their next series that they could up the size to 98 or even 100.

Junkie74
02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Pacific X Fast ( coming soon ), it's the pure drive but arm friendly, very nice!

suppawat
02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Hello,

Thanks in advance...

Herr_Rossi46

In my opinion, the APD has more power and it will force you to hit spin to keep the ball in. If you like the power of Pure Drive but need extra cushion for your arm, try Donnay Formula 100 http://donnayusa.com/article7.php

dr325i
02-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Wilson Juice

Herr_Rossi46
02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Thank you for your suggestions.
Of course, I won't give up on my Dunlops and I will try them with even lower tension.
But I think I will also try out some somewhat higher powered sticks like APD, Wilson Juice and Dunlop 400 Tour.
I live in Denmark and it is somehow hard or even impossible to get Donnay rackets over here, so these are unfortunately off my list, even if I am very interested in them since they came out.

Chyeaah
02-09-2012, 01:21 AM
the Pro Open plays like the PD/APD with abit more comfort.

PD and APD will be way stiffer on your arm compared to the dunlop. If you can handle it add 2-4 grams to your racquet or string lower to get more power on your shots.