PDA

View Full Version : POG OS + KPS 88 + LM Radical MP = ?

daved
02-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Help! Need a new racquet. I value the experience and opinions here...plz weigh in if you have a moment.

Me: 47 yo dude, on 3.5 and 4.0 teams, singles mostly, playing for 3 years, dominant style is defensive baseliner but adding more elements to my game as I move up. SW forehand, conti on all else, 1HBH slicing 75% of the time.

POG OS has been my main racquet since I started playing 3 years ago. Love the weight, balance, feel.

I want that feel but a smaller head and a little more control.

For me, POG is great for big top from behind the baseline but I struggle with drop shots, DTL approach shots, service placement and other "touch" shots. OK, I know it's not like Agassi, Sabatini, Annacone, Shriver and others couldn't play the best tennis on Earth with the POG, but it's not working for ME at this point.

Have had brief affairs with LM Rad MP and KPS 88.

LM Rad is too light but great serve placement, drop shots, control. In general shots land too short too often. Need more mass.

Loved the KPS 88. Bought a demo on a whim and ultimately sold it because grip size was too big and a little bit too stiff. Love the plow and slice abilities.

Softer flex would also be a plus -- my right side from wrist to shoulder would appreciate it.

Is there a racquet that will meld all of these qualities? PK Redondo MP? One of the Prestiges?

Larrysümmers
02-08-2012, 10:45 AM
i would try the prestiges. also a 6.1 95. sounds like you like a racket on the heavy and stiff side.

OrangePower
02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Prestiges would be low powered compared to the others you've mentioned.

I don't have any specific alternate racquet suggestions but one thing worth trying if you still have the LM Rad is customizing it with a little weight. As you said it's a great stick but needs more mass. Fortunately, it takes really well to customization. It's a cheap and easy thing to try if you still have it. Do a search on these forums for commonly recommended LM Rad customization.

daved
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for replies so far.

Anyone have a sense if the POG weighting is more polarized or depolarized? That would affect how I add weight to the LM Rad.

movdqa
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
K90 or BLX90 sounds like it would be good if it were a 95. You might try the PSBLX90 - a little lighter and softer than the KPS88.

mad dog1
02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
shriver played w/ the prince precision graphite 110 w/ the nylon throat piece, but chang played quite well w/ the POG OS.

what strings are you using in the POG OS?

daved
02-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I've tried everything, from full gut or multi at higher tension (up to 65#) to TW-approved super-low tension full poly bed of Polylon SP 17 at 40#.

Right now I'm using the Polylon SP 17 in the mains and Prince original syngut in the crossed at 55#.

For me with this racquet, control = spin. I suppose you could go the same route as Agassi (and the Williams sisters) and do a high tension all the time in that frame, but that doesn't work great for me.

I really have a hard time flattening out the ball with this racquet. Just can't do it consistently.

daved
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
As someone suggested, I have tried adding some lead to the LM Rad -- I first put on a leather grip, then have tried it with various combinations of 4g at 12, 2-3 g each at 9 and 3, 5 grams under the buttcap, 8 grams where the grip meets the frame.

But I think I would need to add more lead...a lot more lead. Like 15-20 grams either in the butt or at the top of the grip along with 2-3 grams at 9 and 3.

Was about to attack the LM today and then thought, "If I'm going to mod this thing by 1 oz.+, is there some other racquet I should consider?" Hence the post.

OrangePower
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
As someone suggested, I have tried adding some lead to the LM Rad -- I first put on a leather grip, then have tried it with various combinations of 4g at 12, 2-3 g each at 9 and 3, 5 grams under the buttcap, 8 grams where the grip meets the frame.

But I think I would need to add more lead...a lot more lead. Like 15-20 grams either in the butt or at the top of the grip along with 2-3 grams at 9 and 3.

Was about to attack the LM today and then thought, "If I'm going to mod this thing by 1 oz.+, is there some other racquet I should consider?" Hence the post.

Ok, did not realize you had already gone this route. I agree, if after adding 1oz or more you still don't feel good with it, then it's time for something else. For reference, my LM Rads are at 340-342gms strung, so about 22-24gm added, with most of that under the grip except for 5g on the hoop. It feels pretty polarized with this setup (which I like), but I wouldn't want to add much more weight than that.

daved
02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Under the grip toward the top or under the grip down at the butt? I don't want to change the diameter/feel where I grip so would only put weight on the grip 6"-7" or more above the butt.

esgee48
02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Try demo'ing the following frames:

Volkl 10 series in midplus
BB 11 98
PK Heritage Type C 98
Babolate Pure Storm Tour GT

All are in the 95-100 sq in range, with RA between 60-65, HL and mass around 340 grams (12 oz.) Also check out the threads on these racquets here to determine if these recommendations fit your game. Good luck.

daved
02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Try demo'ing the following frames:

Volkl 10 series in midplus
BB 11 98
PK Heritage Type C 98
Babolate Pure Storm Tour GT

All are in the 95-100 sq in range, with RA between 60-65, HL and mass around 340 grams (12 oz.) Also check out the threads on these racquets here to determine if these recommendations fit your game. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions:

Have been wanting to try the C10 Pro
I briefly owned a BB 11 2+ years ago -- I think it was that one...12 oz, 18x20 string pattern, really flexy...liked it but I don't think I had the game to make use of it at that point...that model is out of prod.
PK seems to be HOT with TT board posters -- must try
Have tried the PSTGT and tho the spec is great it felt oddly dead or boardy to me

Other suggestions?

JGads
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm going to come at you with an alternative suggestion: the Pro Kennex 7G. It's a completely slept-on stick that does everything well. It's an extended frame, but after an initial hit or two that wasn't an issue for me anymore, and even now I can switch between the 7G and my normal Black Ace Mids very, very easily.

The Black Ace is my other suggestion: I'm a fan of the Mid myself, but the 98 version is also very, very good. All three of these PK sticks are great for the arm, have excellent plow and are hefty but not in any way debilitating. The 7G was my first suggestion because of your POG OS factor; the 7G has a giant sweet spot.

Avadia
02-09-2012, 06:56 AM
If you have played well with and enjoyed the POG OS, but are looking for more touch and control, why not try the POG mid? It's a great stick.

daved
02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes, have tried and really liked the POG mid, though not the same feel as the OS or some of the other suggestions...a bit stiffer and crispier (yes, I mean "crispier," not "crisper")

I amped up the lead on the LM Rad MP today and hit on the ball machine for an hour.

20 g under the butt cap. 2 g each at 3 and 9, 2 g at 12.

I liked it. More plow. Better depth. More control than the POG OS for sure and much harder to hit long. WAY better placement on the serve and at least as good on pace and spin. Can hit shots I absolutely can't hit no matter what with the POG OS, e.g., a vaguely Tomic-like nearly flat forehand slider. Will need to play some matches with it and also try some of the other racquets mentioned in this thread but I think the "dense pattern + pretty darn heavy + really headlight" formula is going to work as a general principle for selecting my next racquet.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

pheonix6579
02-09-2012, 07:49 PM
One frame that I would recommend that no one (unless i missed it) would be the Prince EXO3 Rebel 95 (the older one). Swings very easily, IMO plow through is on par with the KPS88, feel is about the best that I have played with period, nice soft flex with plenty of power to boot as well. Control is also spot on with some of the best. Seems to fit right in with what you are looking for.

daved
02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh, yeah! Thanks for the reminder. I did try that one once and it had a distinctly smooth and pleasant feel. Will try again.

pheonix6579
02-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I know i have regretted every single day since I sold my Rebels