PDA

View Full Version : Soft backup for pure drive roddick

TheBoom
02-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Ok so I am using my pure drive roddick and I absolutely love it. BUT every now and then my arm gets sore from lots of playing(almost every day), not frequently but once in a while. I'm gonna get another roddick but I also want an arm friendly alternative to it in my bag just in case. I was wondering what your opinions were? I was looking at the IG radical pro and that seems kinda close. Anyone have suggestions? Thank you! :)

Almost forgot how I play; I am about a 4.0-4.5 I use a big serve flat and slice, I have an extreme semi western grip on my forehand and 2hbh. I like to hit first strike and I like hitting volleys

counterpuncher
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Another option is, why don't you use a softer string set-up in your back up PDR ?

If you you're using full poly in your main stick, then maybe a hybrid in your back-up ? If you're using a hybrid then maybe a full multi in your back-up, etc.

TheBoom
02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
^thanks for the advise! I tried a few different hybrids but I had a hard time taming the power or getting feel. Did any particular set up work for you? Any other advise is welcome :)

Timbo's hopeless slice
02-08-2012, 05:07 PM
buy my old 200s!! see For sale or trade..

(they won't suit you at all, but I won't care 'cos I will have your money! :))

counterpuncher
02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I tried a few different hybrids but I had a hard time taming the power or getting feel. Did any particular set up work for you?
What are you currently using stringwise and what hybrids did you try that didn't work ?

Typically a lower powered synthetic gut rather than a multi, tames the power, especially if you use it in the mains instead of the crosses.

klementine79
02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
The BLX Pro Open. Loved it when I demo'd it and thought it was a great soft-alternative to the Pure Drive. You could always add some weight to achieve the same specs as the Roddick.

I've also heard goods things about the Formula100 from Donnay. The Warrior100 from Prince also seems to a PureDrive clone.

TheBoom
02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Hahaa timbo your funny!! And my current string is on my signiture. I'm not sure exactly two were on demos but one was babolat synthetic and rpm. Klementine I have always looked at the blx but I've heard mixed thoughts on it, also the formula 100 looked interesting only problem j could see is im lookin for a softer racket but I haven't seen any reviews on it do you have any links? Thanks!!

klementine79
02-08-2012, 05:54 PM
^ Kal-El did some hitting with it and reported his thoughts, might be under the first Donnay Pro1 thread he started, I'll find it.

I heard the same 'stuff' before I demo'd the BLX Pro Open. Really a good, powerful and comfortable frame. Even felt good with syn.gut. Solid feeling. Performed better at net and on slices than the PureDrive, not as good on serves and off the ground but maybe with some weight in the right places. It could be the best 'softer' alternative to the PureDrive I've ever hit and more solid.

klementine79
02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405603&highlight=donnay+pro+one

Here it is. Kal-El's got a review on the Formula100 in there somwhere.

counterpuncher
02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro or any of the softer Synthetic Guts that TW lists should be fine as a main with your poly as the cross --- > http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=40

TheBoom
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Ok thank you both!! I'll look into that string for sure as an alternative to my current setup! Thank you! :) and I definately think I'll try it out I love the pure drive on volleys so if it is better then I'll take it! Does the blx have more feel or how is it a better volley racket?

klementine79
02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
^ I actually had a hard time controling my volleys with the PureDrive... probably more my technique and skill level than the racquet. ;)

Anything coming in with heat was just hard to control up at net. The BLX is just a tad less powerful than the PureDrive so it helps around the net.

The BLX feels more substantial in terms of feel. It just feels 'fuller', if that explains it. Bigger swwetspot as well. I would sail my first serves with the PureDrive on occasion, did not have that problem with the BLX. I'm assumimg with some weight and the right string set-up, the ProOpen could be more powerful and comfortable than the PureDrive.

Get a demo if you can. You might enjoy it.

TheBoom
02-08-2012, 06:42 PM
^thanks for the info! I love hiting touch shots at net so the feel might help. But I'll be sure to check it out sounds like a decent backup :)

Hi I'm Ray
02-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Isn't Baseline Control quite a stiff poly?

I'd also recommend using a syn gut in the cross to help soften things up. So far I've tried Forten Sweet, OG Sheep Micro, and Prince Syn Gut OG, and like the Forten Sweet the best. It also feels the softest of the bunch and does a great job keeping the bad vibes down.

If that still doesn't work, you might want to look at a softer co-poly.

fuzz nation
02-09-2012, 04:45 AM
I'd just point out that a softer frame with a weight and balance that are similar to the PDR will have less "pop", which could be most noticeable with volleys and serves. A softer alternative that can still deliver a little zing would likely be a few tenths of an ounce more hefty, but also be a bit more head-light in balance for decent handling.

I love going to the net with a rather hefty racquet and for my frame to maneuver well for me, I prefer a balance up around 9-10 pts. HL. My Volkl C10's weigh 12.5 oz., but have lead on their handles and balance at 10 pts. HL.

A buddy of mine is a tennis elbow "survivor" and he stuck with his PDR's after his elbow healed up, but got rid of the poly hybrids that stoked his injury. He's a very strong baseliner with a big one-handed backhand and since switching to full string beds of natural gut (62 lbs. tension), he has gotten back into a full playing schedule with absolutely no arm issues. So many options, right?

jorel
02-09-2012, 05:54 AM
pk 5g.........

achokshi99
02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Boris Becker DC Pro is the Roddick PDGT except better IMHO. I own 2 RPDGTs and they wrecked my elbow. I have mild TE now (from very very bad, cant extend my arm after brushing my teeth TE w/RPDGT) that lets me play and work out. Your game sounds like mine and you prob love the roddick cause it amplifies all of those aspects on the serve and easy spin, solid groundstrokes. The DCP does it all a bit better. And it's like $80 on TW you can get two of those for the price of 1 roddick.

Ok so I am using my pure drive roddick and I absolutely love it. BUT every now and then my arm gets sore from lots of playing(almost every day), not frequently but once in a while. I'm gonna get another roddick but I also want an arm friendly alternative to it in my bag just in case. I was wondering what your opinions were? I was looking at the IG radical pro and that seems kinda close. Anyone have suggestions? Thank you! :)

Almost forgot how I play; I am about a 4.0-4.5 I use a big serve flat and slice, I have an extreme semi western grip on my forehand and 2hbh. I like to hit first strike and I like hitting volleys

JRstriker12
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM

I switched from the PDR to a Head Prestige Pro. Never looked back. It's not as stiff and I love the control.

JackB1
02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Boris Becker DC Pro is the Roddick PDGT except better IMHO. I own 2 RPDGTs and they wrecked my elbow. I have mild TE now (from very very bad, cant extend my arm after brushing my teeth TE w/RPDGT) that lets me play and work out. Your game sounds like mine and you prob love the roddick cause it amplifies all of those aspects on the serve and easy spin, solid groundstrokes. The DCP does it all a bit better. And it's like $80 on TW you can get two of those for the price of 1 roddick.

this!!!!!

love my DC Pro!

Limpinhitter
02-09-2012, 04:35 PM

The PDR+ feels noticably more flexible and more arm friendly!

Ramon
02-09-2012, 06:18 PM

I'm in a similar situation. I use the APDGT and I'm demoing racquets that are more arm-friendly. Out of the ones I tried, I think the easiest transition for you would be the Pro Kennex Ki 5. If you want to go heavier, the Ki 5 PSE is very solid, but I'll warn you that it's significantly heavier than the PD Roddick. For reference, I'm also demoing the Prince EXO3 Tour 100 16x18, Pacific X Force Pro, and Volkyl Organix 10 325g.

TheBoom
02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I've never tried a volkle type racket before. Could you describe how the BB feels in comparison to the ode? And other stuff about it? And I played with the pdr+ version effort and i had a hard time clicking with it

recreationalplayer
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Another option is, why don't you use a softer string set-up in your back up PDR ?

If you you're using full poly in your main stick, then maybe a hybrid in your back-up ? If you're using a hybrid then maybe a full multi in your back-up, etc.

recreationalplayer
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM
"Another option is, why don't you use a softer string set-up in your back up PDR ?

If you you're using full poly in your main stick, then maybe a hybrid in your back-up ? If you're using a hybrid then maybe a full multi in your back-up, etc."

The answer isn't another racquet but the same racquet with a diffrent string set-up.

pheonix6579
02-09-2012, 07:53 PM
I thought that the YT Radical Pro (non-IG) player very similar to the PDR but with more comfort.

nickarnold2000
02-09-2012, 08:38 PM
I 3rd the motion on the DC Pro! But it's lighter than the Roddick so you'll need to add some lead but it's totally worth it. I have no arm at all. :)

JackB1
02-10-2012, 09:09 AM
I 3rd the motion on the DC Pro! But it's lighter than the Roddick so you'll need to add some lead but it's totally worth it. I have no arm at all. :)

I actually added 4 grams to my DCP at 10/8/2/4 and 2 grams on the handle and it's perfect. 325 swingweight and I've never served bigger in my life.

A_Instead
02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Volkl Org 8 315.

achokshi99
02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
I actually added 4 grams to my DCP at 10/8/2/4 and 2 grams on the handle and it's perfect. 325 swingweight and I've never served bigger in my life.

Why did you add 2g to the handle, was 4g on the head making it too head heavy? I had 2g on the head and liked it against lesser players but against stronger ones I had more shanks because I coudldnt set up as fast as I normally would. I am stock now but want to go back to lt. Wondering if 2g at the head and 1 in the handle could work...or even just 1g at the head.

JackB1
02-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Why did you add 2g to the handle, was 4g on the head making it too head heavy? I had 2g on the head and liked it against lesser players but against stronger ones I had more shanks because I coudldnt set up as fast as I normally would. I am stock now but want to go back to lt. Wondering if 2g at the head and 1 in the handle could work...or even just 1g at the head.

2 grams on the hoop felt almost like it stock. 4 grams made a noticeable difference and I just added 2 more grams 7" above the end of the handle to keep balance the same. Feels perfect to me.

Weight is a very personal thing. Just add a little until it feels too heavy, then back it off a little and you're done. Simple.

JackB1
02-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Volkl Org 8 315.

the op is looking for a "soft backup" to the PDR.

the X8 is not soft by any stretch and is very stiff feeling.

Bud
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
To the OP: The regular PD is much softer than the Roddick. Just use some putty (Loctite Fun Tak) inside the handle and lead at 3/9 to match the weight and balance of your PDR.