PDA

View Full Version : Capping a Radical

ULTIMATERODDICKFAN
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I am currently trying to fit in the cap grommets into the youtek radical rightnow and to be honest, it is a true pain in butt, I look up at some thread but they required heat gun, awls and bunch of stuffs, i dont have all that. I am using toothpick to try and move the grommets into the holes, I am fitting from bottom to up but when it is the top holes, it wont fit no matter how hard I try, PLEASE HELP!!!

daved
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Asked my stringer about this and he said it's very doable if you heat up the cap grommet...can't remember if he said heat gun/hair dryer or hot water.

ULTIMATERODDICKFAN
02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Asked my stringer about this and he said it's very doable if you heat up the cap grommet...can't remember if he said heat gun/hair dryer or hot water.
thanks dave, appreciates it, I heated the grommets up with hot waterabout 2 weeks ago, let me see if I try to reheat it, see if it works

ChicagoJack
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Take a deep breath.... relax. .... If you are getting frustrated, put the racquet down and try again tomorrow. No kidding, this is one of those things that you go sloooow to finish fast. Work in sections of three, and focus on getting that first one in, then the next two lined up.

- Use a hair dryer, you need to do this a section at a time. Not all at once in water.

- I use electrical tape to fasten down the sections that are done, this frees up both hands, and gives you the sense of accomplishment that is required to stick with the job in a methodical, section at a time sort of way.

- If you don't have an awl, I improvised one using the thinned out end of a coat hanger. Just find some concrete outside and thin it out just a teeny bit to fit inside the grommet holes. It's not going all the way thru, just needs to fit securely inside 1/4 inch or so. If you are being gentle, which you should, the awl is nothing more than a guide, and you need exert only slight pressure to get the holes lined up. Just be sure not to chip your paint, or eff up your grommets, or draw blood.

- When using the awl, I found that one way to get a good line of vision, and all of your hands freed up, is to do this with a board on your lap, and the handle end of your frame over your shoulder. That way you can see the proper alignment looking down to the inside and you also have a firm surface to exert some pressure once the holes are lined up.

Installation Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4bH7T9sds

-Jack

Ducker
02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
I just did this a few weeks ago, it took about 15mins but I had an awl. I started from the throat and worked my way up.

ULTIMATERODDICKFAN
02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Take a deep breath.... relax. .... If you are getting frustrated, put the racquet down and try again tomorrow. No kidding, this is one of those things that you go sloooow to finish fast. Work in sections of three, and focus on getting that first one in, then the next two lined up.

- Use a hair dryer, you need to do this a section at a time. Not all at once in water.

- I use electrical tape to fasten down the sections that are done, this frees up both hands, and gives you the sense of accomplishment that is required to stick with the job in a methodical, section at a time sort of way.

- If you don't have an awl, I improvised one using the thinned out end of a coat hanger. Just find some concrete outside and thin it out just a teeny bit to fit inside the grommet holes. It's not going all the way thru, just needs to fit securely inside 1/4 inch or so. If you are being gentle, which you should, the awl is nothing more than a guide, and you need exert only slight pressure to get the holes lined up. Just be sure not to chip your paint, or eff up your grommets, or draw blood.

- When using the awl, I found that one way to get a good line of vision, and all of your hands freed up, is to do this with a board on your lap, and the handle end of your frame over your shoulder. That way you can see the proper alignment looking down to the inside and you also have a firm surface to exert some pressure once the holes are lined up.

Installation Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4bH7T9sds

Capped Radical Photos:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=130451

-Jack
Dear Jack, thank you so much for your advice, I will try my best to follow you, but this ****ed me off so much, I just heated the grommets in hot water again. The problem is the all of the holes fit perfectly, EXCEPT one goddamn hole (the fourth hole counted from the top middle of the frame) wont freaking fit in!! ****ed me of that I just want to tear the grommets in half to be honest, I broke like 50 toothpicks trying to fit that one goddamn hole today 

ChicagoJack
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Roddickfan - Yeah glad to help. It can be frustrating. Put the whole thing away until your blood pressure drops. I trashed the first set of grommets I tried installing. I got frustrated, tried forcing in a few spots, and ended up flaring out the holes to the point where they'd never go in.

klementine79
02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
You'll need four things:
Dremel, some old string, rubber bands and beer.

Coil the cap grommets up in a circle, twice over and wrap with some rubber bands.

Use the dremel to enlarge the 4 holes of the RadMid+ that don't fit with the Prestige tie offs. (you'll know which ones they are).

Uncoil the cap groomets and you'll be overjoyed to see that they are more or less in the shape of the hoop.

Use the old string to guide the grommets in the holes.

Drink some beer when you get frustrated and push too hard.

Finish your beer and realize that it would be easier to buy a racquet with cap grommets.

floydcouncil
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM
You'll need four things:
Dremel, some old string, rubber bands and beer.

Coil the cap grommets up in a circle, twice over and wrap with some rubber bands.

Use the dremel to enlarge the 4 holes of the RadMid+ that don't fit with the Prestige tie offs. (you'll know which ones they are).

Uncoil the cap groomets and you'll be overjoyed to see that they are more or less in the shape of the hoop.

Use the old string to guide the grommets in the holes.

Drink some beer when you get frustrated and push too hard.

Finish your beer and realize that it would be easier to buy a racquet with cap grommets.

awesome!!!!!!!!