PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Babalot Pure Drive, around the world

sunray13547
02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Hey when stringing babalots one piece they are all set up to string the crosses bottom to top. I prefer stringing top to bottom given the opportunity. The standard around the world pattern, leaving the last cross open and making a box with the long side does not work with babalots due to the tie off for the short side being the same whole as the second to last main, 7H.

I was wondering if this was an acceptable solution. short side string the first 6 mains, than instead of stringing the seventh and tying off as you would on the regular box around the world. String the seventh main up 9T and secure with a starting clamp. Then finish the long side, string the bottom cross, string up 7T, stringing the first cross from the top. Then tightening and securing the main with the starting clamp and stringing down the rest of the crosses as normal.

My concern is when finishing the short side, when string the cross up 9T it leaves a large gap between the final two strings. I am wondering if anyone has used this pattern, the possibility of damaging the frame, and if not this pattern what would you recommend?

Irvin
02-09-2012, 12:24 AM
You are better off stringing that racket two piece. I would not use the long side to do an ATW pattern because when you do you will have holes blocked and sooner or later you have a hard weave.

When stringing the crosses top down with the bottom cross ran in if you did not start the crosses correctly at the top the last two crosses will be the same. And when you string the crosses you are defeating the purpose of stringing one ahead. Stringing the crosses in one direction the two tension crosses will both be holding the mains strings in the same direction but the other way they are opposite.

I prefer (if doing an ATW) to use the short side string for the ATW which I run in but I don't pull tension. I string the center 14 mains and start the crosses with the long side from the second or third cross down to the bottom and tie off. Then I tension all the short side outside main, bottom cross, long side outside main and the top cross(s). Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nms1Ss0XeI&feature=plcp&context=C3d80654UDOEgsToPDskI2epXHlAwuYHelAs9y96J4

With this pattern you have fewer tensioned mains to string the crosses through, and you never have a blocked hole or hard weave.

sunray13547
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
You are better off stringing that racket two piece. I would not use the long side to do an ATW pattern because when you do you will have holes blocked and sooner or later you have a hard weave.

When stringing the crosses top down with the bottom cross ran in if you did not start the crosses correctly at the top the last two crosses will be the same. And when you string the crosses you are defeating the purpose of stringing one ahead. Stringing the crosses in one direction the two tension crosses will both be holding the mains strings in the same direction but the other way they are opposite.

I prefer (if doing an ATW) to use the short side string for the ATW which I run in but I don't pull tension. I string the center 14 mains and start the crosses with the long side from the second or third cross down to the bottom and tie off. Then I tension all the short side outside main, bottom cross, long side outside main and the top cross(s). Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nms1Ss0XeI&feature=plcp&context=C3d80654UDOEgsToPDskI2epXHlAwuYHelAs9y96J4

With this pattern you have fewer tensioned mains to string the crosses through, and you never have a blocked hole or hard weave.

Thanks for the info, I am not really worried about matching the cross strings top to bottom, I am proficient in that. I will check out your system. My biggest question is the possibility of damaging the racquet by leaving the 3 hole gap working the short side.

Steve Huff
02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I string almost all Babolats 1-piece, ATW. With the short side, you string 7 mains, top cross. Long side, 8 mains, bottom cross, last main on other side. Now you're at the top, ready to string from top to bottom, no blocked holes. Some people don't like the hard weave, but I'm used to it. Every one I string for who has had a different person string it in the past says that the strings don't move as much. Not sure why the ATW pattern would help here, but several have mentioned it.

Irvin
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
...My biggest question is the possibility of damaging the racquet by leaving the 3 hole gap working the short side.

What three hole gap are you talking about?

sunray13547
02-12-2012, 02:30 PM
What three hole gap are you talking about?

When stringing the last cross on the short side. I would string up 9T which leave 7T and 8T open which is a pretty large gap. Wanted to make sure it wasn't to much pressure on the outside of the frame?

Irvin
02-13-2012, 02:34 AM
I don't think that would matter but if you use the short side for the ATW instead of the long side there is a smaller gap.