PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to string polyester?

SMASHerJOSH
02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
So I'm trying to string some polys up on my Gamma Progression 200. I can string any other string other than poly. I feel like I can't string it, and that my clamps won't hold tension and I've cleaned them, and set them tight enough just so it won't damage the strings. But I feel like it's impossible to string, especially since the Progression 200's grippers are nothing more than sandpaper. What do I do?

esgee48
02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
First off, polys don't stretch as much as other strings, so you will need more slack between the frame and the gripper. You should also start with the weight down and use the ratcheting mechanism to level the weight.

Mark your string when you clamp. If they are slipping, you will see it. If slipping happens at the gripper, try a piece of paper or business card between the string and the gripper slot. Others go around the gripper before putting the string in the slot.

SMASHerJOSH
02-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Okay, I laid it back a little, and the gripper seems like it's damaging the string still, even with the business card. What the heck am I doing?

esgee48
02-09-2012, 08:07 AM
OK, I reviewed the instructions associated with the 200. I see that Gamma says to wrap the string clockwise around the gripper ONCE before going thru the slot. [1] Is that what you are doing? If so, the top of the gripper should come down tight on the string. You do not need a business card in the slot. [2] Does the string go into gripper easily after you wrap around? Do not force the top piece of the gripper down when you wrap the string around. [3] Make sure you have enough slack in the string so that the weight goes below horizontal. Then use the ratcheting mechanism to level the weight.

SMASHerJOSH
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
I forgot to reply,but thanks soo much. It helped a lot.