PDA

View Full Version : Volkl PB10 mid, tennis elbow advise

gofed
02-09-2012, 05:36 AM
I had a real bad case a month ago, just getting over it now. I was playing with Tournastring, strung at 55M/52C.
Need suggestions on how to change my setup so I dont get a recurrence :

1. Same strings strung looser?
2. I have Volkl Cyclone 17G and Weiss Cannon strings, should I use that, what tension?
3. Use natural gut (full bed or mains)?
4. I was not using a vibration dampener, would that help? Any grip or overgrip modification?

Thanks..

Hi I'm Ray
02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Did you get the TE while using the PB 10 Mid? Its a pretty soft & comfortable frame...

getsby
02-09-2012, 06:28 AM
I think a high swing weight hurts his elbow :( string in this case does not solve the problem.

jjs891
02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I felt off center shots off of pb 10 mid a bit jarring when I tried it. I've been using as heavy racquets so it's not due to the weight in my case. I also used multi/poly hybrid that was easy on the arm.

gofed
02-09-2012, 08:35 AM
I dont think it was the racquet. I have loved playing with it, no plans to switch..I actually felt it lifting weights, probably poor form..
I just dont want to exacerbate it when I start playing, hence the suggestions for a new setup?

ugly duck
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi,

this is my first post because in this case nobody else has given the right (at least in my opinion) answers that you find buried in the pb10mid thread.

I suggest that you try to add lead to the upper hoop: start with about 1g at 10 and 2 o'clock, in my case I needed 3g at each side starting from the 6th cross upwards.

my background: I was a quite a good junior player in austria in my teens playing with a pro staff classic. Never had a tennis elbow.

Came back to tennis after an 8-year-lay-off with 30. After about half a year trying to get back the groove, I chose the pb10mid after extensive demoing. As plush as it feels on regular hits, I've got TE for the first time of my life by serving with it. (I overtrainded as I had too much time because I was unemployed, served tons of old balls with old poly strings strung in the high 50s) long story short I wasn't able to play anymore and tried lead for the first time in my life - it worked wonders together with switching back to soft multis !!!!

I've always played without dampeners and now I'm able to enjoy that feeling again. In fact it seems true that the upper hoop is not stable enough but on the other hand those 6g really made this frame ashine even more. I've quite a bit more plowthrough and all that comfort I'm looking for.

so get some lead and maybe you are able to solve your problem quickly - like me.

I dont think that your TE has to be caused by the weight like the previous poster. If you have good technique this should be no problem.

cheers
Kurt

ugly duck
02-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi,

this is my first post because in this case nobody else has given the right (at least in my opinion) answers that you find buried in the pb10mid thread.

I suggest that you try to add lead to the upper hoop: start with about 1g at 10 and 2 o'clock, in my case I needed 3g at each side starting from the 6th cross upwards.

my background: I was a quite a good junior player in austria in my teens playing with a pro staff classic. Never had a tennis elbow.

Came back to tennis after an 8-year-lay-off with 30. After about half a year trying to get back the groove, I chose the pb10mid after extensive demoing. As plush as it feels on regular hits, I've got TE for the first time of my life by serving with it. (I overtrainded as I had too much time because I was unemployed, served tons of old balls with old poly strings strung in the high 50s) long story short I wasn't able to play anymore and tried lead for the first time in my life - it worked wonders together with switching back to soft multis !!!!

I've always played without dampeners and now I'm able to enjoy that feeling again. In fact it seems true that the upper hoop is not stable enough but on the other hand those 6g really made this frame ashine even more. I've quite a bit more plowthrough and all that comfort I'm looking for.

so get some lead and maybe you are able to solve your problem quickly - like me.

I dont think that your TE has to be caused by the weight like the previous poster. If you have good technique this should be no problem.

cheers
Kurt

bad_call
02-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi,

cheers
Kurt

yes it's all bout technique but equipment DOES factor in as noted by your leading post.

btw - think GE can happen with serving and not so much TE.

ugly duck
02-09-2012, 10:27 AM
^^^

Hahaha, not only the first but also my first double post- sorry! :-P

Rabbit
02-09-2012, 10:33 AM
personally, if you have any elbow pain at all, I would can the poly. Don't use poly if your arm hurts <period>.

I would recommend either a multi or natural gut at mid-tension.

ugly duck
02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
yes it's all bout technique but equipment DOES factor in as noted by your leading post.

btw - think GE can happen with serving and not so much TE.

Of course, the equipment is a big factor in but one poster said (without a video to judge) that the high sw causes elbow problems...it does not by itself, only if you always have to correct with the wrist because you are too late.

in my case i'm quite sure that it was an unhealthy combination of unforgiving racquet (especially in the upper hoop), old balls/strings and overuse that led to my elbow issues. I'm not sure if it was ge or te by overpronation, my whole forearm got hard and hurted badly as I didn't want to quit playing.

Devilito
02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
i strung poly in my PB10 about 20lbs lower than you and it was the most comfortable racquet i'd ever use. You couldn't pay me to use that stick at 55 lbs. IMO that's insanity and one of the obviously reasons you’re having issues. I’m assuming “Turnastring” is poly?

mikeler
02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
The trick with arm friendly racket selection is obviously to get a soft frame if your technique is verified and you are already using soft strings. With regards to weight, you want it heavy enough for elbow comfort but light enough for shoulder comfort.

acwk
02-09-2012, 10:33 PM
i strung poly in my PB10 about 20lbs lower than you and it was the most comfortable racquet i'd ever use. You couldn't pay me to use that stick at 55 lbs. IMO that's insanity and one of the obviously reasons you’re having issues. I’m assuming “Turnastring” is poly?

I would endorse Devilito's view. I play with the PB10 Mid strung with Black Code 18 at 33lbs mains/30lbs crosses. The PB10 Mid can take very low tensions with poly. I started down this path after reading a very long thread in the string forum started by Chris of TW. You may want to do a search for that thread.

With poly at low tensions, the usual shock and vibration associated with poly is eliminated. However you will need to make some adjustments. First of all the dwell time of the PB10 Mid with low tension poly is very high. So you will generally have to close down the face of the racket to avoid hitting long as the balls will tend to leave the racket face at a higher trajectory. Some people complain that they can't control their volleys with low tension poly. I found it OK but YMMV. You can expect to get a lot of spin with low tension poly as well. For me it felt like the sweetspot expanded greatly with this set-up, it definitely felt larger than it was with a multi in the low 50's.

Overall I prefer low tension poly on the PB10 Mid than multis strung in the low 50's which is what I was using before switching over more than a year ago.

gofed
02-10-2012, 07:46 AM
I would endorse Devilito's view. I play with the PB10 Mid strung with Black Code 18 at 33lbs mains/30lbs crosses. The PB10 Mid can take very low tensions with poly. I started down this path after reading a very long thread in the string forum started by Chris of TW. You may want to do a search for that thread.

With poly at low tensions, the usual shock and vibration associated with poly is eliminated. However you will need to make some adjustments. First of all the dwell time of the PB10 Mid with low tension poly is very high. So you will generally have to close down the face of the racket to avoid hitting long as the balls will tend to leave the racket face at a higher trajectory. Some people complain that they can't control their volleys with low tension poly. I found it OK but YMMV. You can expect to get a lot of spin with low tension poly as well. For me it felt like the sweetspot expanded greatly with this set-up, it definitely felt larger than it was with a multi in the low 50's.

Overall I prefer low tension poly on the PB10 Mid than multis strung in the low 50's which is what I was using before switching over more than a year ago.

Thank you, I am going to try that..

getsby
02-11-2012, 02:17 AM
guys, you're really cool, if you can get into court with a 33lbs tension. you can upload videos of your strokes?

Devilito
02-11-2012, 09:37 AM
guys, you're really cool, if you can get into court with a 33lbs tension. you can upload videos of your strokes?

i'm too cool to upload a video, sorry chief

getsby
02-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Devilito, I saw your video, very good level. Only the tension was not mentioned

acwk
02-13-2012, 08:50 PM

Getsby, I don't have any uploaded videos of myself playing. However I would say that the PB10 Mid can be played quite easily with poly at low tensions. It doesn't require any particular skill, that's just the way the racket is and that's the point I was making. If you're able to play with the PB10 Mid on a regular basis, you'd have a certain decent standard of play anyway. Otherwise it would be a pretty frustrating racket to play with on a regular basis. I know that on bad days, I often wish for something a bit easier.

As a matter of interest, althought I've been playing for more than 30 years, I don't consider myself to be particularly skilled. I'm not a "has been", I'm a "have never been" as far as tennis is concerned. :) I just enjoy a good hit.

getsby
02-14-2012, 02:33 AM
In my understanding, regardless of the techniques strokes, with low tension controls very decreases. That's why I asked about the video is really interesting to me, In my understanding, regardless of the techniques shock, with low tension controls very decreases. That's why I asked about the video I really wonder how the ball is not sprayed into outs