PDA

View Full Version : Used Gamma Progression ST for $500. Good Price?

goose guy
02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I currently have an X2 but was thinking about upgrading to a fixed clamp machine. I saw this local Craigslist ad for a used Gamma Progression XT for $500. It's 5 years old; good condition. Is that a good price? If not what would be a fair price to offer?

Thanks.

mchjhn
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
you can purchase a new one, with tools, and a full warranty for $750 shipped to your house.

what does it include for tools and any string? personally, i think $400 would be a good deal, possibly go to $450.

mikeler
02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
you can purchase a new one, with tools, and a full warranty for $750 shipped to your house.

what does it include for tools and any string? personally, i think $400 would be a good deal, possibly go to $450.

I agree with this. If this is something you can negotiate a price on, I think it would be reasonable to make a first offer of $400 if the machine is in good shape and be willing to counter up to $450.

KerryR
02-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Refurbished Ektelon H's, Neos's, and Alpha Axis's often sell for around $500 from Tennis Machines. Given that this machine much newer than those often are, $500 seems pretty reasonable to me, but there'd be nothing wrong with shooting lower.

goose guy
02-09-2012, 03:57 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/5Ia5K75Fd3G53Ic3Jdc234f5f07c3bdc3197d.jpg

Worried about if tension winder needs calibration given it's age. Also my reason for upgrading is to reduce my stringing time. Not sure if the fixed clamps are the quick action swivel type of clamp. Will a spring tension winder make my stringer that much easier/simpler vs. a drop weight tensioner? If not, then would a brand new gamma x6 fc for $500 be a better option? Thanks again for all the advice.

rich s
02-09-2012, 04:44 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/5Ia5K75Fd3G53Ic3Jdc234f5f07c3bdc3197d.jpg

Worried about if tension winder needs calibration given it's age. Also my reason for upgrading is to reduce my stringing time. Not sure if the fixed clamps are the quick action swivel type of clamp. Will a spring tension winder make my stringer that much easier/simpler vs. a drop weight tensioner? If not, then would a brand new gamma x6 fc for $500 be a better option? Thanks again for all the advice.

That machine is more than 10 years old..... the wing nut clamp base locks can get very trying of your patience after a while because you are literally tightening and loosening a bolt with big wings on it... your thumbs take a beating and they are by no means quick....

I bought my 602 FC in about 2000-2001 and it had those type of clamp base locks.... the progression st was already the st-II at that time and it had the quick lock clamp bases.......

$500 is a little high IMO..... and I'd hold out for something with quicker clamp base locks....

my $.02
rich

goose guy
02-09-2012, 06:20 PM
That machine is more than 10 years old..... the wing nut clamp base locks can get very trying of your patience after a while because you are literally tightening and loosening a bolt with big wings on it... your thumbs take a beating and they are by no means quick....

I bought my 602 FC in about 2000-2001 and it had those type of clamp base locks.... the progression st was already the st-II at that time and it had the quick lock clamp bases.......

$500 is a little high IMO..... and I'd hold out for something with quicker clamp base locks....

my $.02
rich

Rich, thank you for clarifying the age of the stringer. Ad said that it was 5 years old, but I guess that's not true at all. I thought the clamp base wasn't the quick lock type.... I guess I'll be passing on this one. Would you recommend the Gamma 602 fc or the X-6fc? Thank you everyone for enlightening me these stringers.

goose guy
02-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Would you recommend the Gamma 602 fc or the X-6fc?

I googled this and gamma tech bret recommended the x6 fc just for the drawer. 602 has fiberglass clamps, x6 has die cast aluminum clamps. 602 is $30 cheaper also.

rich s
02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Rich, thank you for clarifying the age of the stringer. Ad said that it was 5 years old, but I guess that's not true at all. I thought the clamp base wasn't the quick lock type.... I guess I'll be passing on this one. Would you recommend the Gamma 602 fc or the X-6fc? Thank you everyone for enlightening me these stringers.

Honestly.... if you can afford an ST-II or X-ST I would opt for one of those because .... for me adjusting the drop weight bar on every pull got old fast.

If it either of those is not in your budget I would say go with the 602FC only because you can adapt a Wise 2086 to it later if you choose. I have a adapted the Wise to the 602FC and Wise has developed a mount that will work with the 602FC..... not sure if Wise's mount will work on the X-6FC............ Either way I think you can't go wrong..... they (602FC and X-6FC) are built well and work well.