PDA

View Full Version : What to expect with a PS 85?

Swingweight
02-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I mostly bought it for fun hitting sessions and less for competitive play.

I was just wondering how different it will feel from my current stick.

I'm currently playing with a Donnay x-black 94 (with an extra 20g in the handle) strung with multis @ 57lbs. I've got developed strokes (long and fast) and usually hit a pretty clean ball. If I do shank at all it's on my 2hbh. I love the flexibility of the stick and the way the thin beam cuts through the air. Makes it easy to generate spin with a closed string pattern.

I've hit with a tour 90 before and don't seem to have many problems with the small head size, though 94-85 is a big margin.

Has anyone played both of these racquets? I'm wondering how the ps 85 will compare feel-wise.

corners
02-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I mostly bought it for fun hitting sessions and less for competitive play.

I was just wondering how different it will feel from my current stick.

I'm currently playing with a Donnay x-black 94 (with an extra 20g in the handle) strung with multis @ 57lbs. I've got developed strokes (long and fast) and usually hit a pretty clean ball. If I do shank at all it's on my 2hbh. I love the flexibility of the stick and the way the thin beam cuts through the air. Makes it easy to generate spin with a closed string pattern.

I've hit with a tour 90 before and don't seem to have many problems with the small head size, though 94-85 is a big margin.

Has anyone played both of these racquets? I'm wondering how the ps 85 will compare feel-wise.

If I were you I would play it and compare it to your current sticks without listening to what others say. Form your own opinion first. The PS85 is such a legendary stick that what you hear from people on the boards might completely overwhelm your own impressions. Many of us Wilson box beam guys love them because we played the PS in high school, or whatever. They might not even be good racquets for all we know.

Swingweight
02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah I guess you're right. I can't wait till it arrives in the mail!

RogerRacket111
02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Solid is the word I would use. It feels so light(manovarable) but its got heft when you contact the ball. The sweet spot is closer to the throat not the center so be ready to make contact there.

mad dog1
02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
you're going to hate the PS85. it's got no power. it's too demanding. the sweet spot is pea sized. it's too heavy. and it's not suitable for the modern game of huge hitters and monstrous spin. did i leave anything out? ;)

DeShaun
02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
you're going to hate the PS85. it's got no power. it's too demanding. the sweet spot is pea sized. it's too heavy. and it's not suitable for the modern game of huge hitters and monstrous spin. did i leave anything out? ;)

Yeah, I get pushed around by heavy topspin .sometimes only when the opponent hits accurately though. I guess one trick to using this stick in competition may be to end the points as quickly as possible, for which this stick is perfectly suited by the way. Just beware of baseline rallies breaking out because you may not like what this stick offers against a Pure Drive in the right hands from the deep in the backcourt.