PDA

View Full Version : Best method to remove paint

klementine79
02-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I've probably skimmed through and read all the threads there are on the 'How to's' of re-painting a racquet.

Everyone chooses one of the two methods (sanding or stripping) to remove the paint from a racquet. But I still have not found a resounding answer. Will paint stripper harm the graphite or racquet materials?

TIA,
Klem

scotus
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I have never used it, but I hear carbolift is safe.

klementine79
02-09-2012, 09:25 PM
^ Thanks. Will look into it.

esgee48
02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Methylene chloride solvents can damage resins if left on for hours. 10-15 minutes, not! I would stick with calcium hydroxide or limonene based removers because they're less toxic and less likely to damage the frame's resins/graphite. These will remove paint by lifting them from the surface. You still need to mechanically rub off the mess and or use steel wool. It's a long process (more than 60 minutes) and you should do it in a ventilated area.

6-2/6-4/6-0
02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I know a lot of people in the cycling world who have used carbolift with very good results. That would be my first recommendation. Then wash the racket well and wet sand anything that is still a bit less than perfect. Something like a 400-600 grit should be good.

Hi I'm Ray
02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I tried using citri-strip as it is less toxic. I experimented on an old wilson that was part aluminum, part carbon fused together. It takes several hours for the paint to soften enough and you will need something like steel wool to scrap it off. I also noticed that the graphite sections weren't perfectly shaped on the surface so they used some kind of filler (reminded me of bondo) to get the surface smooth. At first I thought it was a layer of primer. Some areas just would not come off with the paint stripper so I had to use light sand paper. It looked smooth but I just know it was going to be uneven because the frame is curved I could not use a tool to get more uniform results. The solvent did not soften the graphite of this particular racket.

However, I placed a drop on the handle of my Wilson Profile which has no foam on it, its just the bare graphite - its braided graphite with a layer of clear resin over it, like you see with many frame nowadays. After a few hours I wiped off the drop of solvent and resin was soft (it hardened again afterwards) so there is definately a potential of damaging your frames or changing the stiffness when using a solvent.