PDA

View Full Version : Stay calm in the face of cheating

ark_28
02-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Hey guys!

Had a tense doubles match last night in our league, my partner and I did not play that well but were pretty much just grinding out a result, we were 4-2 down first set came back and won it 7-6 2nd set we were 4-1 up then lost focus (had points to go 5-1 up) the came all the way back and served for it at 5-4 only for us to take it to another tiebreaker!

As you can see it was a pretty tight match, then in tie 2nd set tiebreaker it was 6-5 my partner serving his serve I had a good look at it, was plum on the service line, decent pace the guy popped it up my partner came in an smacked a volley winner, of course we were both pumped up and congratulated each other, but then the other guy (not the returner) looked up at me and said, "did you think that serve was in" I said "it was in" he said, well I called it out, but my partner thought it was in (if there was a call me or my partner never heard it, but they had been loud calls till then.

We looked at the guy who returned the ball he just shrugged back at us and said "I guess my partner called" they said we could have a first serve again!

My partner was fuming! to be honest I was too but I also was no way in hell about to let a pair of cheats beat me, even a few months ago, this would have made me so mad my game would have gone to nothing and we would have lost!

The breaker went on and on but we eventually won it 10-8 the key was the anger the frustration etc at being hooked over, fired me up but not to the point of being reckless it was to a point of focus, not doing anything stupid and making them play tough balls!

When I won though I did somewhat uncharacteristically let out a bit of emotion by smacking a ball into the ceiling in celebration! but hey if staying cool in anger, during the match and leting it out after works! then I am all for it! :-)

Have you guys had any similar experiences to this?

Rorsach
02-10-2012, 03:15 AM
And are you 100% sure that the ball was in or did your eyes perhaps play a trick on you?

ark_28
02-10-2012, 04:12 AM
And are you 100% sure that the ball was in or did your eyes perhaps play a trick on you?

It is a fair question! But I had a good look at that serve and yes I'm 100% sure that was in! Plus the fact that guy played the shot and was playing the point out until my partner hit the volley winner!

Also two guys on the other court after had finished playing they saw that game and told me it was a horrible call!

Sometimes you get these 50/50 moments you are not sure in that case I always give it to the opponent! But this was a clear "bad call" or cheating effort whatever way you want to look at it!

halalula1234
02-10-2012, 05:49 AM
yep had to verse a guy last month who would yell "come on" after every point and would calls the shots that touches the lines "out"

Since my mates played him before so they warned me about this particular guy..

So i was prepared to let go of those cheating calls , stay calm and focused...and it really worked ;P. he ended up getting only 1 game from me...even with all those calls. 6-1 6-0 whopping hehe.

papa
02-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Well, you call the balls on your side and they call the ones on there side - simple as that if no officials are involved. If the opponents disagree on a call, it always is settled in your favor, not theirs. Often players dissagree, well not that often but it happens - theres no shame in that. However, when you dissagree with partner over a call, consult with them and give them the opportunity to advise the opponents of a change in the call. If you make a bad call, and everyone does, correct it if its to your opponents favor - if its to your favor, consider eating it and go on.

blakesq
02-10-2012, 07:53 AM
"did you think that serve was in" I said "it was in" he said, well I called it out, but my partner thought it was in" According to that quoted portion, the serve returner and his partner disagreed, thus the ball counts as being IN, and it should have been your point. Doesn't sound like cheating, just like none you knew the rules of tennis.

samarai
02-10-2012, 07:53 AM
I agree, you call the balls on your side and your opponents call the balls on their side. Obviously they have a better angle to it. Do people make errors when balls are close to the line. Sure they do but that's part of the recreational game. If they called it out then just accept it and play on.

OTMPut
02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
i have this serbian guy i play with. it is so annoying when he asks for a "re-play" if he is not sure. he is a bit older than me and i let it go. once i went told him that he could call it out if he wished to, but if he was not sure, then it was in. he had this incredulous look on him. funny he has been playing for 30 years and never bothered to learn basic conventions.

goran_ace
02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Good job, OP, at keeping your composure. Sure, sometimes bad calls are intentional. Sometimes people play a 'tight court' in close matches and their eyesight can be impaired by wishful thinking. Sometimes what looks like a serve right on the line from your side of the net is acually a couple of inches out. These things happen. People make mistakes. Good job in finishing that match.

Larrysümmers
02-10-2012, 09:18 AM
yeah thats sh*t of sports, you gotta go by the refs calls, and for us rec tennis players our opponents are often the refs. in my younger days, well when i was like 14-17, i would get hot headed get PO'd and that would lead to my downfall. Now, i just ask them if they are sure, they say yes, i say okay it just looked close from my angle and just have to shake it off.

it sucks, i know, but you just have to play the next point.

fuzz nation
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
"did you think that serve was in" I said "it was in" he said, well I called it out, but my partner thought it was in" According to that quoted portion, the serve returner and his partner disagreed, thus the ball counts as being IN, and it should have been your point. Doesn't sound like cheating, just like none you knew the rules of tennis.

Same thing occurred to me here. This is a case of the "second chance" call where the opponents made the "out" call after losing the point. That's a no-no. They needed to make a prompt call or play the point. Since they both saw the serve land but disagreed on whether it was fair, the rules state in pretty plain language that they need to assume that it's a good serve.

user92626
02-10-2012, 02:59 PM
OMG...why are you guys so serious about this? The OP got upset over one little comment?

I like a little competitiveness on the action side, but this is ugly and wrong competitiveness, no offense.

Larrysümmers
02-10-2012, 04:21 PM
question, what if im the "net man" and my partner is the return man. server serves a close on and partner said out, they ask me. well i dont pay attention to it because me and my partner have this thing where we call our own shots. now if i say, "i dont know, i wasnt paying attention to it." can they use that against me?

papa
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
question, what if im the "net man" and my partner is the return man. server serves a close on and partner said out, they ask me. well i dont pay attention to it because me and my partner have this thing where we call our own shots. now if i say, "i dont know, i wasnt paying attention to it." can they use that against me?

Nothing wrong with that, it happens all the time when only one sees the call - that's very different than having both see opposite.

user92626
02-10-2012, 04:41 PM

I was told that if you lie, you'll go to hell for eternity. That's alot worse than losing a point

fuzz nation
02-11-2012, 06:48 AM
I was told that if you lie, you'll go to hell for eternity. That's alot worse than losing a point

No, it's not a life or death issue, but lots of folks have trouble with managing their own matches. Remember that our sport is un-officiated in the recreational circles, but we have to live with how our opponents rule on our shots. That's rather peculiar in the world of competitive sports. I don't think the big issue here is so much about actually staying calm in the face of adversity as it's about a situation getting "unfortunate" because not everyone was conducting themselves off the same page. The opponents tried to bend things in their favor when they strayed from what's the accepted conduct in match play... the Sun WILL come out tomorrow!

fuzz nation
02-11-2012, 06:56 AM

Nope - it's only an issue when you disagree with your partner. That's when you're collectively not sure it was out, so you assume it was in. It's fine if you didn't see a ball land, but if your partner is unsure, he/she needs to assume the ball is in. The general code of the game runs along the grain in which we only take points that we've earned. Rather noble, I think.

Both partners don't need to spot every ball, but in the case where neither of us see it land, we can't assume it was out, since we're not sure. That's on us and we have to call it in.

Larrysümmers
02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
okay thank you guys. its never been an issue, so far, but i wanted to be sure just in case.

user-i dont lie when it comes to calls, but we never overturn eachothers calls so we dont disagree. so, when i am the net man i like to be up at the net, eyes forward so on serves i honestly dont know where they land because i dont pay attention to it.

DeShaun
02-11-2012, 04:36 PM
My buddy just tried hooking me an hour or so ago. I looked at him, "C'mon dude :mad:, are you serious?" He smiled embarrassed like, "Yeah, you caught me. I'm not positive that your serve was out." And then he kinda drifted on over to the other service box to await my next serve, having reversed his call and awarded me the point. It was kind of funny but it was also the first time that he ever sort of admitted to cheating. Or did he really admit anything? Maybe he just felt pressured and caved. I hope not; but then, my serve did look to have landed well inside the deuce corner.

papa
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM
My buddy just tried hooking me an hour or so ago. I looked at him, "C'mon dude :mad:, are you serious?" He smiled embarrassed like, "Yeah, you caught me. I'm not positive that your serve was out." And then he kinda drifted on over to the other service box to await my next serve, having reversed his call and awarded me the point. It was kind of funny but it was also the first time that he ever sort of admitted to cheating. Or did he really admit anything? Maybe he just felt pressured and caved. I hope not; but then, my serve did look to have landed well inside the deuce corner.

I think you buddy learned something today which I bet will atay with him.

DeShaun
02-11-2012, 04:54 PM
I think you buddy learned something today which I bet will atay with him.

What do you think he learned?

Rattler
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
As soon as they offered you a first serve you should've claimed the point...the match was over....read the code.

papa
02-15-2012, 05:37 AM
What do you think he learned?

I think he learned that opponents aren't just going to lay back and accept calls without being questioned. Some players get away, or think they do, with outrageous calls for years and nobody ever questions them. Its not unusual to see players calling the ball "out" before its even landed. So, breaking the habit early sets them on the right track.

chippy17
02-15-2012, 06:50 AM
I have been playing a young'un once a week, 20 (I am 38) for a few months now and we have good games but I have noticed a lot of his line calls are dubious especially on a pivotal point. I normally let it go or at worst I say 'are you sure'
but last night I could not let it go, set point to him I hit a lovely cc backhand, I am watching it like a hawk and he is over the other side of the court, lands inside the side line near the service line and he calls it out
I must admit I got a bit cross and said that the ball was clearly in, he turns round and says it was half a foot out!!!!! Even if I was wrong there was no way it was THAT out, to me that is cheating

he got the set 6-4, I then reached a state of calm zen like anger and bagelled him

TheCanadian
02-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Bah, if you let things like this get to you, you won't live long. Getting bad calls is part of the game. You need to just deal with it. If it gets very bad, you can ask for a ref. during a tourney.

02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
As soon as they offered you a first serve you should've claimed the point...the match was over....read the code.

I agree, but it was over the moment the return team disagree with each other on the call. One saw it good...done deal right there. This aspect seems to have been missed here, but maybe I didn't understand some of the post that wandered around this some.

Then the new code on this as you mention as well, which states no new point, even if you
rtn ball in, but mistakenly call it out.

ATP100
02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
It is a fair question! But I had a good look at that serve and yes I'm 100% sure that was in! Plus the fact that guy played the shot and was playing the point out until my partner hit the volley winner!

Also two guys on the other court after had finished playing they saw that game and told me it was a horrible call!

Sometimes you get these 50/50 moments you are not sure in that case I always give it to the opponent! But this was a clear "bad call" or cheating effort whatever way you want to look at it!

Your thread title is terrible and YOU need to adjust your thinking.

(but you won't)

Caesar
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
The worst kind of hookers are the ones who are extremely generous with line calls 90% of the time (e.g. offering to replay anything you're unsure of, even in their court) but then will pull out a completely disgraceful call on a really important point.

They look like great guys, but they're still out to screw you.

ark_28
02-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Your thread title is terrible and YOU need to adjust your thinking.

(but you won't)

You are entitled to not like the thread but apart from highlighting a few words from my op in red you don't explain why, if you get hooked over then what I said applies, unless you are one of these politically correct people who would rather view cheating as "mind games"

Zachol82
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
As far as I'm concerned...if the returner legitimately tries to return the serve, as is in your case, then the ball is in play. His partner should have made the call AGAIN after the returner plays the ball and BEFORE you had hit a winning volley. I'm sure he would not have made the call if your volley had been a bad one...