PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about lead

clunker
02-10-2012, 06:14 AM
hello all
I have been using Head liquid metal MP for some time and testing other racquets...
Haven't found an adequate replacement yet. I almost gave on on LM, but yesterday I placed 8g of lead on the handle and 1 gm each on 3 and 9.
I had beautiful serves and overheads, best in a year and it felt great.
Two odd things happened : the racquet had a lot of "ping" sound of the strings, very similar to Volkl DNX 10 mid I used, and I miss hit a lot of BHs catching it on a bottom of the frame, like the head of the racquet went through to fast ....
The racquet is strung with multi 17g at 54 lb and now also it feels much springier than before.
Can I correct that with a little bit of lead at 12 or any other way?
Would hate to mess it up now when I had a decent progress with this set up...
Should I try a hybrid string to mute he liveliness ?
Thank you all!!!

ryushen21
02-10-2012, 06:22 AM
hello all
I have been using Head liquid metal MP for some time and testing other racquets...
Haven't found an adequate replacement yet. I almost gave on on LM, but yesterday I placed 8g of lead on the handle and 1 gm each on 3 and 9.
I had beautiful serves and overheads, best in a year and it felt great.
Two odd things happened : the racquet had a lot of "ping" sound of the strings, very similar to Volkl DNX 10 mid I used, and I miss hit a lot of BHs catching it on a bottom of the frame, like the head of the racquet went through to fast ....
The racquet is strung with multi 17g at 54 lb and now also it feels much springier than before.
Can I correct that with a little bit of lead at 12 or any other way?
Would hate to mess it up now when I had a decent progress with this set up...
Should I try a hybrid string to mute he liveliness ?
Thank you all!!!

Essentially what you did, assuming that your frame was completely stock, was make the balance much more headlight. This would explain why you were getting feeling of the frame coming through faster. The lead at 3 and 9 really wasn't enough to balance the lead that you added in the handle. I would suggest removing the lead at 3 and 9 and moving it up to 10 and 2. This will bring your balance back down a bit and should give you a swing feel closer to what you had previously. I would also go with 2g in each position as opposed to 1.

Hope that helps.

clunker
02-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Essentially what you did, assuming that your frame was completely stock, was make the balance much more headlight. This would explain why you were getting feeling of the frame coming through faster. The lead at 3 and 9 really wasn't enough to balance the lead that you added in the handle. I would suggest removing the lead at 3 and 9 and moving it up to 10 and 2. This will bring your balance back down a bit and should give you a swing feel closer to what you had previously. I would also go with 2g in each position as opposed to 1.

Hope that helps.

thank you!
Just for my education; wouldn't adding similar total amount of lead at 12 and keeping the 3 and 9 behave similarly as moving it at all to 10 and 2 position?

clunker
02-10-2012, 06:33 AM
thank you!
Just for my education; wouldn't adding similar total amount of lead at 12 and keeping the 3 and 9 behave similarly as moving it at all to 10 and 2 position?

Forgot to say that I would like a little bit more head light set up than the stock

ryushen21
02-10-2012, 06:37 AM
thank you!

Not necessarily. Lead at 3 and 9 is really to increase the torsional stability (twist) of the frame and don't have nearly as dramatic of an effect on balance and swingweight. Adding lead at 12 and in the handle creates a polarized setup which will greatly increase swingweight and plow. So what you would need to think about is what effect are you wanting to achieve. If you are not having the stability that you would like out of the frame then you would want the lead at 3 and 9 and then additional at 12 to adjust swing feel. Lead at 10 and 2 (I would say roughly 4"-5" ) would add a little bit of stability as well as alter your swing feel more to your liking.

clunker
02-10-2012, 06:43 AM
sounds good! I will try it....
thanks!