PDA

View Full Version : Babolot: no shipping to Canada

TheCanadian
02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
I just wanted to buy $750 worth of Babolat stuff on the TW but I can't have it shipped to Canada anymore. Weird. Allegedly, the TW can't ship Babolat products to Canada. Finally, I got what I wanted via ****. I don't know why Babolat doesn't want my money. Can somebody from the TW explain this new Babolat policy?

TW Staff
02-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, our hands are completely tied concerning Babolat's shipping policies. We apologize, but it isn't a TW decision, and we must follow the same protocol as all other Babolat authorized dealers.

Regards,

Spencer, TW.

scotus
02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately, our hands are completely tied concerning Babolat's shipping policies. We apologize, but it isn't a TW decision, and we must follow the same protocol as all other Babolat authorized dealers.

Regards,

Spencer, TW.

Come on, Spencer.

TW is the most powerful retailer there is! You set the rules and tell Babolat to follow them!

:)

TheCanadian
02-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Regards,

Spencer, TW.

Thanks for this. Do you know the reason behind this change?

Yourtenniscoach
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Come on, Spencer.

TW is the most powerful retailer there is! You set the rules and tell Babolat to follow them!

+1 10 char

Dave M
02-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Come on, Spencer.

In my experiance companies like Babolat have always stood by their retailers but they are very strict about sales areas and not allowing people to encroach on other accounts. It's frustraiting esp with tw europes bizare pricing policies but it protects their premium price point image,merchandise and the sellers margins.

McEnroeVsAnnacone
03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
strange how all these open market countries like the USA and Australia allow what is basically price fixing. Buy from Canada, France or the UK where it is against the law to price fix - presuming the import tariffs for where you live don't kick in to try to stop you .

Boricua
03-07-2012, 09:51 AM
I just wanted to buy $750 worth of Babolat stuff on the TW but I can't have it shipped to Canada anymore. Weird. Allegedly, the TW can't ship Babolat products to Canada. Finally, I got what I wanted via ****. I don't know why Babolat doesn't want my money. Can somebody from the TW explain this new Babolat policy?

Im sorry. Buy Yonex. Better quality. Ive used Babolat and I think Yonex is superior.

scotus
03-07-2012, 10:17 AM
strange how all these open market countries like the USA and Australia allow what is basically price fixing. Buy from Canada, France or the UK where it is against the law to price fix - presuming the import tariffs for where you live don't kick in to try to stop you .

Are you saying the racquet companies cannot impose their Minimum Advertized Price policy in those countries?

gavna
03-07-2012, 10:27 AM

It has NOTHING to do with price fixing or the free market.....many many companies selling many different products have to protect their local retailers, local/regional sales force, distribution centers...etc.

Dave M
03-07-2012, 10:59 AM
It has NOTHING to do with price fixing or the free market.....many many companies selling many different products have to protect their local retailers, local/regional sales force, distribution centers...etc.

Exactly correct, there is a MAP in the Uk too, i would be suprised if there wasn't in the other countries. I know a few dislike you discounting their stuff too, protecting the brand image.

Automatix
03-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Wilson joins this sick practice.

Fantastic. Simply fantastic. :?

Rock Strongo
03-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Aaaand there goes my chance of buying a brand new PS85 at a reasonable price.

Dharmaboy
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I am ****ed because I live in a city of over a million and there is only 1, yes 1 retailer that sells high end tennis gear and its not even close to reasonably priced.

So I was denied sale of my Babolat bag due to their stupid sales policy, and the local retailer can continue to sell stuff and inflated prices.

The power of the internet gives me the choice of where I buy my merchandise and keeps local retailers honest (price gouge consumers).

When companies do this type of thing, it really boils my blood because it makes me not want to purchase their product anymore.

000KFACTOR90000
03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Same goes for Wilson too, terrible for a big international company like tennis warehouse.

tistrapukcipeht
03-13-2012, 06:22 PM

Regards,

Spencer, TW.

I'm intrigued and would like to know how can Wilson and Babolat can enforce their policies and find out if TW has shipped any products from Wilson and Babolat abroad.

How can they know if a merchant is shipping items outside US?

El Diablo
03-13-2012, 09:03 PM
^^ things can become known lots of ways. A kid in Canada can walk into a proshop to get the racquet strung and brag about the great price he got in the US. Proshop owner mentions it next time Babolat rep drops by, rep then brings it to TW's attention. Or the kid in Canada breaks the racquet, sends it back to Babolat under warranty, Bab sees the serial number corresponds to merchandise sent to TW. Lots of ways these things can happen. Smart business owners like to avoid conflicts such as that with their suppliers.

Bartelby
03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Its a form of price fixing and I don't know of any authority that says its not.

Court cases have only barely approved the practice and they tend to argue it is a legitimate exception to free market principles.

Dave M
03-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Its a form of price fixing and I don't know of any authority that says its not.

Court cases have only barely approved the practice and they tend to argue it is a legitimate exception to free market principles.

It's true enough that they fix the recomended retail price, but a shop can in theory sell it to you for whatever they want (or can affoard to). Any listed price in legal terms an invitation for you to tender a price.Some stores will haggle a little on price with you some will flat out refuse.There is a store near me that was selling the pure drive GT when new and you could get them for 100 instead of the 130 or so the MAP was listed as just by asking for discount.

Bartelby
03-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Yes, there are discounts for belonging to tennis associations, for racquet demo days, for sales that seem to come at least twice yearly, and some add free stringing with string of choice.

Discounts are also there for buying more than one, so you hardly ever pay the recommended price.

Still the world is supposedly becoming more global but the consumer keeps getting shunted into smaller markets that are more favourable to the manufacturer.

Now there's even services you can buy to get yourself a US postal address and circumvent the nonsense, for a price.

TWE Staff
03-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Aaaand there goes my chance of buying a brand new PS85 at a reasonable price.

Hi Rock Strongo,
we have the Wilson ProStaff 85 also in Europe:
www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpage-W6085-EN.html?vat=SE

thanks,
Stefan/TWE

Dharmaboy
03-15-2012, 03:11 PM
case in point my local retailer is selling used PD's for double the price of what I got it at from a great local TW user.

I mean $40 Cdn more and I can get it for new. but paying over $200 for stick is pure crazy.

jmverdugo
03-16-2012, 09:39 AM
It is not price fixing, it is designed to protect local stores and to have better control of different markets. the counter part of this is that local reps are not allowed to sell above the List Price (but they can sell below) the idea is the local rep does not abuse of their exclusivity, maybe Babolat does not do a good job controlling this part of the deal or maybe in some countries taxes, customs, shipping charges, etc increase the prices greatly.

If you guys in Canada want to find out about the difference in price I would recommend you to check what are the customs fees importers need to pay for sporting goods and if this sporting goods are categorized as luxury items or fragile items, it is not unusual for countries to impose big customs fees to promote local manufacturing of some products, not sure if this is the case but it happens.

You are allowed to buy from anywhere in the world, you can go to a store in Canada and brag about the price you get in the US and nothing will happen, the worst thing that could happen is that if you have a warranty issue the local store will tell you to ship it back to where you bought it. Retailers are not allowed to ship outside their territory BUT they can still sell to international customers, customers need to find a way to get things shipped within the retailer's territory and then forward it to their respective countries, it is called Freight Forwarding and is not more expensive than using DHL, it just takes longer to be delivered.

BeGreat
07-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Wow. I just learned that I can't have Nike, Wilson and Asics (among other) shipped to Canada. A few years ago, I bought Nike shoes and Wilson rackets all the time.

This blows.

MAXXply
07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow. I just learned that I can't have Nike, Wilson and Asics (among other) shipped to Canada. A few years ago, I bought Nike shoes and Wilson rackets all the time. This blows.

Welcome to our world :cry:

Bartelby
07-15-2012, 04:24 AM
It is not price fixing per se, but it functions as price fixing.

Companies manufacture in China because labour is cheaper and if you told them that its fine to do that but you can't import the manufactured good back into America they would rant hysterically about protectionism.

The fact is that there is a world market for goods and prices should fall to the level of that of the cheapist market, usually America, but by imposing export controls prices can't fall.

Its a protectionist strategy that companies are employing that creates a political, rather than market, price for their products.

equinox
10-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Disgusting anti competitive policy and illegal in many countries.

Tennis warehouse must be losing a fortune of international sales.

Get a back bone TW.

SFrazeur
10-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Disgusting anti competitive policy and illegal in many countries.

Tennis warehouse must be losing a fortune of international sales.

Get a back bone TW.

That's a rather ignorant statement.

Retailers are going to adhere to supplier policies. It's a simple choice as they really have no choice. If they break said policies then they no longer receive their supply and lose all sales of that brand. To change those policies all major retailers would have to boycott or break them. That is not going to happen as any one of the retailers would have more to gain by adhering to those policies and being able to outsell their competitors if they break the policies.

-SF

Yevgeny2010
02-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Are authorised resellers like TW allowed to ship Babolat products (ie. strings) to known international customers using a mail forwarding address in the US? Would this violate your terms with babolat?

000KFACTOR90000
02-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Shouldn't be a problem Yevgeny2010.....(If you deem it necessary :) )

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/twint/orderinginfo.html

Are there any ship to prohibitions?

Please be informed that your designated ship to address must reflect the address of the ultimate end-user. Tennis Warehouse will not process any order which specifies an address of a freight forwarder, warehouse, distribution center, airport or hotel. If it is necessary, Tennis Warehouse will ship to the above locations, however, once tracking shows the package was delivered Tennis Warehouse will no longer be responsible and credit cannot be given.