PDA

View Full Version : Federer withdraws from Montreal

whistleway
07-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Due to the recurrent feet injury.

Dear fans,

Regrettably, I have to inform you that I will not participate in the Rogers Cup, the ATP Masters Series in Montreal. As you know I have been suffering from pain in my feet for the past six months. An MRI was performed after Wimbledon and the doctors advised me to rest for 4 full weeks. As this period collides with the preparation for Montreal and the tournament itself, I had to take this decision in order to ensure full recovery.

Not being able to compete and trying to defend my title from Toronto does hurt. After all, it is my birthday the first day of the tournament and I also like the province of Quebec a lot. But I am certainly looking forward to playing in Toronto next year.

See you all very soon!

PS: Cincinnati is still on the plan and Iíll most certainly keep you updated as soon as there are news.

http://www.rogerfederer.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=437

Get well soon, Roger !!

federerhoogenbandfan
07-21-2005, 12:36 PM
It is a good decision if it allows him to fully recover from his foot injuries. It sucks somebody else will have to win a Masters event without Roger in the field though, it will diminish the win greatly for whoever does it.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-21-2005, 12:43 PM
I really hope Hewitt wins the Canadian Open now though, just for the record.
I also really hope Roger plays Cincinnati atleast. He wont be ready for the U.S open if he has to skip Cincinnati, he might as well skip the U.S open too then.

hyperwarrior
07-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm VERY VERY disappointed that Roger withdraw. The tournament is bitter without Roger, but I understand and respect his decision. Unfortunately, it's sad, sad, SAD! I feel the same way when Sampras withdrew in Montreal 3 times. "sigh" :(

Well I guess I'll root for Roddick or Agassi if he'll comes or maybe Safin.

Tchocky
07-21-2005, 12:59 PM
That sucks! The US Open series is turning out to be a bust. Roddick will probably win 2 to 3 tournaments before the US Open with Federer out. Is Nadal and/or Safin slated to compete in any of these hard court tournaments?

Dr.Lobster
07-21-2005, 01:01 PM
i wish i could send him a get well card

spinbalz
07-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Roddick should thank Roger for that surprise gift... Perhaps will he send to Roger a get worst card??? :mrgreen:

Brettolius
07-21-2005, 01:42 PM
man i hope he doesn't pull from the cinci tourney, considering i drove down there to see him and he basically wasn't there, losing to "the dominator". not 2 years in a row dude!!

splink779
07-21-2005, 01:45 PM
With or without Federer there Nadal will win anyway :)

Defcon
What is it with swiss tennis stars and foot injuries ?! First Hingis and now Fed!

In related news, Roddick was seen booking 2 return tickets after a very long time :)

gugafanatic
Federer is beginning to pick up niggling injuries due to the strain of playing soo many matches in majors and main tour events. Like many world no 1's in the modern era if he pushes too hard he may suffer a long-term injury which may keep him out of the game for some time. His chances at the US Open will take a serious setback if he does not go deep in the draw at Cinci.

slice bh compliment
07-21-2005, 01:56 PM
What is it with swiss tennis stars and foot injuries ?! First Hingis and now Fed!

In related news, Roddick was seen booking 2 return tickets after a very long time :)

...and this just in:
Much to the dismay of the good people at Rogers/AT&T...the organizers of TMS Canada have decided to rename the tennis tournament the ANDY's CUP.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Yeah if Roddick, Safin, and Hewitt all get last minute injuries as well.

The tennis guy
07-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Don't get too hysterical. It's more precaution than serious injury. For those of you who think Federer will suffer at US Open from resting, look at what happened last year after US Open, he didn't play any match due to precaution with thigh injury, he came back and pretty much smoked everyone except two sets, one with Gaudio one with Safin.

The tennis guy
07-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Nadal is playing two clay court tournaments before that. You think he is serious about his chance on fast hardcourt?

TennisD
07-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Nadal is playing two clay court tournaments before that. You think he is serious about his chance on fast hardcourt?
With Federer, he'll get waxed by Roger. Without him, he'll get plastered by Hewitt

Marius_Hancu
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
thanks for posting the news. being in Montreal, very, very disappointed.

Marius_Hancu
07-21-2005, 02:41 PM
has he checked those damned golden shoes with the test here?:-)

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/heelhtm.htm

splink779
07-21-2005, 03:02 PM

As long as he is in the draw, yes.

pound cat
07-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm no Federer fan, but I hate to see any player's career marred by injury, eg Feder's feet and Safin's knee. Bill Norris said that 0% of all male pro tennis players were without an injury.

Fedubai
07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
That stinks...I'm glad he made the sensible decision though.

Max G.
07-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah if Roddick, Safin, and Hewitt all get last minute injuries as well.

Well, Safin already has!

Rickson
07-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Not being able to compete and trying to defend my title from Toronto does hurt. After all, it is my birthday the first day of the tournament and I also like the province of Quebec a lot. But I am certainly looking forward to playing in Toronto next year.

Aha! And you all thought the birthday theory was just a myth.

pound cat
07-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Federer's problem all has to do with athlete's foot (feet)

Fedubai
07-21-2005, 05:20 PM
That's not what they called it when he had to pull out of Rome...plantar fasciitis. An awful long time to have athlete's foot, seems like. I don't know much about it but it's a skin disease...doesn't sound like Federer's thing.

Oh well. Get well soon Mr. Federer.

Andres
07-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't know why, but I got a great feeling about Nalbandian for Montreal ;)

gugafanatic
07-21-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't know why, but I got a great feeling about Nalbandian for Montreal ;)

I have feeling JCF is going to surprise alot of people at Montreal.

arosen
07-21-2005, 06:39 PM
I have a feeling Ivan Ljubicic is going to surprise a lot of people in Montreal.

BreakPoint
07-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Those d*mn Nike shoes!!! Maybe he should sue like Hingis did with Tacchini?

Yours!05
07-21-2005, 07:01 PM
That's not what they called it when he had to pull out of Rome...plantar fasciitis. An awful long time to have athlete's foot, seems like. I don't know much about it but it's a skin disease...Gawd no! And not an easy fix. As with many conditions If you don't treat it right immediately, (rest, rest and more rest) when first suspected, likely to be chronic. This is a real threat.
Cause: hard courts, individual susceptibility. Alicia Molik also has it. IMO more usual in that sort of Big Girl, than the relatively slight Fed.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=144&topcategory=Foot

Fedubai
07-21-2005, 07:12 PM
I meant that athlete's foot is a skin disease...? Maybe you mis-understood my post, or I didn't understand yours?...Plantar fasciitis isn't a skin disease, anyway.

raftermania
07-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Rats. Fed would have been the impetus for me visiting the Montreal Roger's Cup.

Yours!05
07-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Maybe you mis-understood my post.I reckon. Thought you were saying PF was a skin disease...:)

Fedubai
07-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Oh ;) Whoops, should have been more clear.

devila
07-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Blame Nike for nothing. Cry me a river.

James Brown
07-22-2005, 03:43 AM
this blows, i skipped the tourney last year over here in montreal because women's tennis blows and now no federer...**** i'm not gonna go see random scrubs. god this blows

federerhoogenbandfan
07-22-2005, 09:19 AM
I have feeling JCF is going to surprise alot of people at Montreal.

How big of a surprise are you thinking?

whistleway
07-22-2005, 10:11 AM
More on this disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

http://www.seafordfootcare.com/graphics/plantar.gif

VamosRafa
07-22-2005, 09:16 PM

From a recent article:

In two weeks, Nadal leaves for Montreal and Cincinnati to ready himself on hard courts for the U.S. Open, which starts Aug. 29.

"If I play good at those two tournaments, if I play my best tennis going into the U.S. Open, I will win a lot of matches there," Nadal said. "It is very important to me."

The third-ranked Spaniard wants a successful hard-court campaign because it will determine if he finishes the year ranked No. 2 ahead of Hewitt. As far as the U.S. Open goes, he knows that he is a dark horse for the title.

"Federer is always the favorite. Then comes Andy Roddick and Hewitt," Nadal said. "Federer is better than anyone. To get to that level, I will have to play good on hard court, on clay, on grass. I will have to improve my serve."

Nadal said not much has changed since he won the French Open in early June.

"I'm still the same person. Some things are better, some things worse," he said, then shrugged.

arosen
08-01-2005, 12:15 PM
You've got to love this kid, he is so "for real". No fancy words or any of that "I am flying high" bull from him. You go Rafa, you show 'em.