PDA

View Full Version : Head pallets on a Pro Kennex Redondo/Black Ace

Gee
02-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Anyone did this before?

I am intended to put Head TK82 pallets on my PK BA98 and Redondo because I prefer a Wilson shaped grip. I read on this forum that this is possible however there will be a gap between the halves as the Pro Kennex hairpin seems to be slightly thicker than a Head one.

So the grip 'll be a bit rounder through this gap. I guess TK82S grip pallets 'll be more a Prince shape whereas TK82 pallets 'll be more like Wilson ones.

I am only not sure what grip size of the TK82 pallets (L2 or L3) I should buy if I wish to create a L3 4/8 Wilson grip. I think I should choose a L2 as it 'll be slightly bigger than a normal Head L2. Besides I can increase the grip size easily with some extra tape if needed.

I would appreciate any advice about this subject.

scotus
02-11-2012, 03:07 AM
TK82 and TK82S are identical in shape at L2. Only when you move up to L3 or larger can you tell the difference.

So if you get L2, don't worry about which pallet.

But I have seen posters who replace their TK82 with TK82S on their head racquets in order to get the Wilson shape and have been quite disappointed.

So you just might be better off sticking some tape on the PK pallets.

scotus
02-11-2012, 03:12 AM
Also, if you want to get rid of the space bet the two pallet halves, go with Volkl pallets instead. Volkls are deeper but have the same width as the Head pallets.

Gee
02-11-2012, 03:20 AM
Also, if you want to get rid of the space bet the two pallet halves, go with Volkl pallets instead. Volkls are deeper but have the same width as the Head pallets.
Thank for your good advice on the Volkl pallets. I didn't take those into account. They also seem to be available into different variations on TW Europe:

Volkl Bio Sensor "R" Pallets Organix 8/10 (http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageACVOLKLGH-VBSRGP.html)
Volkl Bio Sensor "C" Pallets Organix 4 (http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageACVOLKLGH-VBSP4.html)
Volkl Bio Sensor "S" Pallets Organix 6 (http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageACVOLKLGH-VBSRGP6.html)
Volkl Replacement Grip Pallets (http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageACVOLKLGH-VPALLET.html)

Which one (and what size) would you recommend if I wish to create a Wilson L3 grip shape?

scotus
02-11-2012, 09:30 AM
All the Biosensor pallets come with buttcaps that have a yellow plastic stick, which extends from the middle of the butt cap into the hairpin about 1.5 inch deep. So you need to see if the PK hairpin can accommodate that.

You can, of course, remove the yellow stick, which will sort of give you a small open hole (instead of a trap door) through which to access the hair pin in case you want to add weight in it later.

Bio Sensor R pallet and the Volkl Replacement Grip pallets are identical except for the butt caps, (the latter is completely closed off, no hole or trap door).

C pallets, according to TennisMaverick, are only for the 4 series because they have a different hairpin shape.

S pallets are the so-called Attiva pallets, which are more squarish than the regular Volkl pallets. Now those who want the Wilson shape usually choose this one. But the end result would be hard to tell. According to NoBadMojo, Attiva pallets do not give you sharp bevels.

So you might want to order one regular and one S pallet and the 2 different Head pallets and see which would give you the best result.

Gee
02-11-2012, 10:47 AM
So you might want to order one regular and one S pallet and the 2 different Head pallets and see which would give you the best result.
Thanks again, Scotus!

What grip size should I try of these ones? I guess the following:
- Volkl S-pallet and Regular grip 3
- Head TK82 and TK82S grip 2 as TK82S grip 3 'll probably be too round. However I still have 2 TK82S pallets at home so I can try these one at least.

What do you think?

scotus
02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Gee, I need to be gone for a while, but give me about 6 hours and I'll get back to you with photos comparing Size 2 and 3 in Volkl and Head.

Gee
02-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Gee, I need to be gone for a while, but give me about 6 hours and I'll get back to you with photos comparing Size 2 and 3 in Volkl and Head.
Ok, that would be great. Take into account I 'll still sleep then (at 3 o´ clock am) as I am from Holland, Europe. I 'll check this thread tomorrow.

scotus
02-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Gee,

As promised, here are the photos.

Unfortunately, the photos do not seem to depict the actual size all that well. Here they are, nonetheless.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn51/dscotus/DSCF2698.jpg

From the user's point of view, left to right:
(1) Volkl Regular L2
(2) Volkl Regular L3
(3) Head Speed (TK82S) L3
(4) Head Regular (TK82) L3

scotus
02-11-2012, 04:57 PM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn51/dscotus/DSCF2699.jpg

From the user's point of view, left to right:

(1) Head Speed (TK82S) L3
(2) Head Regular (TK82) L3
(3) Head Speed (TK82S) L2
(4) Head Regular (TK82) L2

scotus
02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Out of all these, Volkl L2 will give you the most square shape:

3.0 cm wide and 2.7 cm high. But I do not know how closely that would resemble a Wilson handle.

Head Speed might give you a very square shape as well, but as you mentioned you will have a gap between the 2 pallets.

I do not have any Volkl Attiva pallets, so that's something you might want to acquire and see which works the best.

Gee
02-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Wow I am impressed, Scotus!

It doesn't make easier to choose but I think I 'll try Head TK82 L2 or Volkl L2 first
Will there still be a minor gap with the Volkl L2 (as it is deeper than Head)? And will that be slightly smaller than the Head L2 as a result? If this is true then I better choose the Head L2. Do you agree?

scotus
02-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Wow I am impressed, Scotus!

It doesn't make easier to choose but I think I 'll try Head TK82 L2 or Volkl L2 first
Will there still be a minor gap with the Volkl L2 (as it is deeper than Head)? And will that be slightly smaller than the Head L2 as a result? If this is true then I better choose the Head L2. Do you agree?

Measure the depth of the hairpin on your PK (outside to outside of the graphite vertically).

The Volkl pallet is around 20-21 mm deep on the inside, whereas Head is 17-18 mm.

The inside width (horizontal) for both is around 25 mm.

Gee
02-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Measure the depth of the hairpin on your PK (outside to outside of the graphite vertically).

The Volkl pallet is around 20-21 mm deep on the inside, whereas Head is 17-18 mm.

Ok I 'll remove the PK pallets from my Redondo. I only hope I am able to manage that because I didn't often before. Only once. But I still need to remove the pallets because the grip cracks when I squeeze firmly.

scotus
02-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Ok I 'll remove the PK pallets from my Redondo. I only hope I am able to manage that because I didn't often before. Only once. But I still need to remove the pallets because the grip cracks when I squeeze firmly.

Heat is your friend.

Apply a lot of heat before and as you pry it open.

Well, it is past 4 a.m. here, so time for me to get some sleep.

Gee
02-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Heat is your friend.

Apply a lot of heat before and as you pry it open.

Well, it is past 4 a.m. here, so time for me to get some sleep.
Good night. Hear you soon!

Gee
02-12-2012, 05:39 AM
A hole into my PK Redondo grip pallet... How disappointed. That causes the cracking sound probably.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bojfOO5AIqs/TzfOVUWNYVI/AAAAAAAAAcg/_mGwYEBg5wg/s800/pkpallet.jpg

dr325i
02-12-2012, 06:13 AM
GEE:

I sent you a reply to your email and Private on this forum and both bounced.

1) Whatever scotus said about TK82 and 82S being the same is not correct.
2) If you wish to come close to the L3 Wilson shape on your PK BA, go with the TK82 L3 as the PK hairpin is a little bit "thicker" than the Head hairpin, therefore, will give you as close as possible to the L3...
3) I have one L3 PK brand new pallet set. Email me your address and I will ship it to you

Gee
02-12-2012, 07:16 AM
GEE:

I sent you a reply to your email and Private on this forum and both bounced.

2) If you wish to come close to the L3 Wilson shape on your PK BA, go with the TK82 L3 as the PK hairpin is a little bit "thicker" than the Head hairpin, therefore, will give you as close as possible to the L3...
3) I have one L3 PK brand new pallet set. Email me your address and I will ship it to you
Hi dr325i,

Glad you found me here!

Sorry I changed my email address but I updated this so it should work well now.

Regarding 2) I am still a bit confused what grip size I should choose as the result will be a slightly bigger grip size because of the gap between the halves. Irrespective of what size (L2 or L3) you choose. So I guess a TK82 L2 might be a good fit as well. Or is L3 still closer?

One time I put a TK82S L3 on a Head Prestige Classic. Unfortunately that felt too squarish and slightly too big to me. After that I replaced it with a TK82S L2 that felt a slightly better however a little too small and a bit too squarish.

I read you tried a TK82S L3 PK BA98 that seems to be too round. Did you try a TK82 L3 as well?

Regarding 3) Please send me an email about this.

scotus
02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
GEE:

For all intents and purposes TK82 and TK82S are identical in L2 size. The differences in measurements are so minute that they are simply interchangeable. When you get to L3 or larger, then you don't even need to measure. You can see and feel the difference. But at L2, you can't.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn51/dscotus/DSCF2700.jpg

Now here is the juxtaposed view, a half of each model:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn51/dscotus/DSCF2703.jpg

DIMENSIONS:

TK82 Size L2
Width: 31 mm
Height: 16.5 mm
Horizontal side: 11 mm
Vertical side(with top and bottom joined together): 10.5 mm
Slanted side: 11 mm

TK82S Size L2
Width: 30.8 mm
Height: 16.3 mm
Horizontal side: 11 mm
Vertical side (with top and bottom joined together): 11 mm
Slanted side: 10.7 mm

Note that there may be up to 0.5 mm in error for each measurement. There are QC difference for each pallet, and even within a single pallet, measurements differ slightly at various points along the length of the pallet. Also, when you put glue or double-sided tape on the hairpin and press these down, you will also get micro differences in the final handle size.

Again, for 99% of players, TK82 and TK82S are interchangeable at L2.

Gee
02-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Scotus,

I tried to remove the buttcap but the nails are pinned so deep that I didn't manage to loosen them. That's why I called my handy friend. He 'll help me with that next Wednesday.
After that I 'll let you know the measurements of the hairpin of the PK.

scotus
02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Scotus,

I tried to remove the buttcap but the nails are pinned so deep that I didn't manage to loosen them. That's why I called my handy friend. He 'll help me with that next Wednesday.
After that I 'll let you the measurements of the hairpin of the PK.

You'll need a micro flathead screwdriver and a hammer and a blow dryer.

The flathead needs to be narrower than the staple. Jam it into the buttcap right next to it, and tap it with the hammer several times. Once the screw driver gets under the staple, then it is a matter of wiggling it out.

PK buttcaps are a headache to take off, because they use silicone adhesive in addition to staples (at least on the Kinetic frames).

Once the staples are out, heat up the butt cap area until silicone becomes bit loose. Then you'd want to jam a larger flathead screwdriver right under each buttcap panel to wiggle it open.

It can be quite time-consuming.

Gee
02-12-2012, 02:00 PM
You'll need a micro flathead screwdriver and a hammer and a blow dryer.

The flathead needs to be narrower than the staple. Jam it into the buttcap right next to it, and tap it with the hammer several times. Once the screw driver gets under the staple, then it is a matter of wiggling it out.

PK buttcaps are a headache to take off, because they use silicone adhesive in addition to staples (at least on the Kinetic frames).

Once the staples are out, heat up the butt cap area until silicone becomes bit loose. Then you'd want to jam a larger flathead screwdriver right under each buttcap panel to wiggle it open.

It can be quite time-consuming.

Oh man, what did I start?! Nevertheless I really want to learn how to replace grip pallets and this case is a good lesson in racquet customizing!
Thank you for the instructions! I 'ĺl try this.

counterpuncher
02-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Note that there may be up to 0.5 mm in error for each measurement. There are QC difference for each pallet, and even within a single pallet, measurements differ slightly at various points along the length of the pallet. Also, when you put glue or double-sided tape on the hairpin and press these down, you will also get micro differences in the final handle size.

Again, for 99% of players, TK82 and TK82S are interchangeable at L2.

There is a difference in feel, as I have performed a swap from a TK82 to a TK82S L2 at least on three racquets and can easily feel the difference.

What you need to take into account, is that by the time you add a grip and perhaps overgrip over that pallet, the overall diameter of the grip is larger and the minute differences you listed become magnified.

scotus
02-12-2012, 06:43 PM
There is a difference in feel, as I have performed a swap from a TK82 to a TK82S L2 at least on three racquets and can easily feel the difference.

What you need to take into account, is that by the time you add a grip and perhaps overgrip over that pallet, the overall diameter of the grip is larger and the minute differences you listed become magnified.

If that's the case, you tell us which one feels more like a Wilson handle.

counterpuncher
02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
If that's the case, you tell us which one feels more like a Wilson handle.
I agree with your view the Attiva S is closest, followed by the TK82S.

scotus
02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, there you go, Gee.

I think you just need to take measurements of your hairpin and make a decision.

Gee
02-13-2012, 09:02 AM

What is the make of the racquets?

Gee
02-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Well, there you go, Gee.

I think you just need to take measurements of your hairpin and make a decision.
Yes I still need to manage to remove the pallets in order to measure the hairpin. First I 'll purchase a hair dryer tonight.

counterpuncher
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
TK82 is the standard Head pallet and the TK82S is the more rounded pallet which is closer to a Dunlop shape that is on the Head Speed series of racquets.

The Attiva pallet is from Volkl and was offered on their Attiva racquet that was marketed specifically for women. It is like a very squared side Wilson shape, very much like the old Fischer shape.

Gee
02-15-2012, 12:45 AM
TK82 is the standard Head pallet and the TK82S is the more rounded pallet which is closer to a Dunlop shape that is on the Head Speed series of racquets.

The Attiva pallet is from Volkl and was offered on their Attiva racquet that was marketed specifically for women. It is like a very squared side Wilson shape, very much like the old Fischer shape.
I already knew this but I wanted to know on what racquets you replaced the TK82 L2 and TK82S L2 pallets. If you performed this on Head (or Volkl Attiva) racquets then the pallets will fit perfectly (without gaps).Then I understand why you would opt for a TK82S (or a Volkl S pallet) that are closest to a Wlison L3 grip shape. But the hairpin of PK frames is thicker than Head ones.

scotus
02-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Gee,

Did you manage to take the butt cap off your PK?

Gee
02-15-2012, 02:39 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FPdKOvMP9_Q/TzuQyFEx9cI/AAAAAAAAAc0/_bvUlYCjgnI/s800/pk-hairpin-afmetingen.jpg

Finally I succeeded in removing the pallets. I am glad I purchased a hair dryer because that is a very handy tool in order to loosen the pallets.

I was gladly surprised to see the silicone gel into the handle. I noticed an hole into the hairpin with a pair of metal pins as well.

I measured the surfaces and diameter of the hairpin (from laying down on a table view as shown in the picture above):

Horizontal surfaces: 17 mm
Vertical surfaces: 10 mm
Diagonal surfaces: 5 mm

Diameter: 82 mm

Well, now the big question: Scotus... What grip pallet (and size) should be the best option for me?

Gee
02-15-2012, 02:45 AM
However the buttcap was a real pain to loosen because the 12mm long staples were very deep within the buttcap. I finally managed to remove them by tapping a small screwdriver with a hammer.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-v5jktRZrizk/TzuSUotn2pI/AAAAAAAAAd0/_htUyAiqhYI/s800/DSC00192.JPG

The PK pallets were easier to remove with a hair dryer. However you still must to perform this step with patience and care...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KUk3ShimM44/TzuSJTqI3XI/AAAAAAAAAdc/mr3Kz_aiAHg/s800/DSC00193.JPG

scotus
02-15-2012, 03:16 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FPdKOvMP9_Q/TzuQyFEx9cI/AAAAAAAAAc0/_bvUlYCjgnI/s800/pk-hairpin-afmetingen.jpg

Finally I succeeded in removing the pallets. I am glad I purchased a hair dryer because that is a very handy tool in order to loosen the pallets.

I was gladly surprised to see the silicone gel into the handle. I noticed an hole into the hairpin with a pair of metal pins as well.

I measured the surfaces and diameter of the hairpin (from laying down on a table view as shown in the picture above):

Horizontal surfaces: 17 mm
Vertical surfaces: 10 mm
Diagonal surfaces: 5 mm

Diameter: 82 mm

Well, now the big question: Scotus... What grip pallet (and size) should be the best option for me?

What is the height and width of the hairpin? (End to end)

Gee
02-15-2012, 03:32 AM
What is the height and width of the hairpin? (End to end)
From laying down a table view:
Width: 26 mm
Height: 19 mm

scotus
02-15-2012, 11:44 AM
From laying down a table view:
Width: 26 mm
Height: 19 mm

I would definitely go with Volkl pallets, because it will not give you that large gap between the 2 pallet halves.

But since the Volkl pallets are actually 1-2 mm longer in height than the PK hairpin, you can apply one or two more layers of double-sided tape on the top and bottom surfaces of the hairpin in order to make it a tight fit. Make sure that it is tight and that the pallets do not squeak when you squeeze the handle (if you hear a squeak, then it may lead to a crack down the road).

Now all you need to do is order pallets. My gut instinct is to go with the Volkl Attiva pallets in your grip size. Just remember that the bevels are not going to be as sharp as regular pallets (at least that is what I gather from a fellow TW poster NoBadMojo).

Personally, I would order several different types of pallets, just to tinker around.

Great work on your very first buttcap and pallet disassembly! Let me know how the rest of your project comes along.

scotus
02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
When you put the pallets on, you need to apply pressure evenly along the length of the pallets to get them to adhere tightly to the hairpin.

Some do this by wrapping a leather grip tightly around for a day or so. Volkl actually wraps the pallets with clear packaging tape very tightly (just like you'd wrap grips) and leave them like that on their racquets.

Try not to use clamps to keep the pallets together. The pallets are too soft and fragile, and clamps will leave indentations on them, ruining bevels.

Gee
02-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I would definitely go with Volkl pallets, because it will not give you that large gap between the 2 pallet halves.

But since the Volkl pallets are actually 1-2 mm longer in height than the PK hairpin, you can apply one or two more layers of double-sided tape on the top and bottom surfaces of the hairpin in order to make it a tight fit. Make sure that it is tight and that the pallets do not squeak when you squeeze the handle (if you hear a squeak, then it may lead to a crack down the road).

Now all you need to do is order pallets. My gut instinct is to go with the Volkl Attiva pallets in your grip size. Just remember that the bevels are not going to be as sharp as regular pallets (at least that is what I gather from a fellow TW poster NoBadMojo).

Personally, I would order several different types of pallets, just to tinker around.

Great work on your very first buttcap and pallet disassembly! Let me know how the rest of your project comes along.

Thank you, Scotus! Earlier I was too afraid to try this but thanks to your help I finally got the courage!

So do you mean the Volkl Attiva pallets size L3 will be the best option?

scotus
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Thank you, Scotus! Earlier I was too afraid to try this but thanks to your help I finally got the courage!

So do you mean the Volkl Attiva pallets size L3 will be the best option?

I would think so, as long as you remain flexible about the fact that nothing is going to give you the exact Wilson shape.

You can get close to it, but if you really want to be exact and precise, your have to go to Priority One or RPNY and pay them a lot of money.

Gee
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I would think so, as long as you remain flexible about the fact that nothing is going to give you the exact Wilson shape.

You can get close to it, but if you really want to be exact and precise, your have to go to Priority One or RPNY and pay them a lot of money.
I still hesitate about Volkl Attiva L3 because I guess it will be too round. I am considering the regular Volkl L2 as I guess that will be a bit more square than a PK grip shape and a bit bigger than a L2 because of extra layers of masking tape at the top and bottom bevels.

scotus
02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Get both!

If you don't like how one of them feels, try the other one.

Gee
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Get both!

If you don't like how one of them feels, try the other one.
Yes you're right. I 'll order both from TW Europe.

scotus
02-15-2012, 01:02 PM
And order double-sided tape while you're at it.

Gee
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
And order double-sided tape while you're at it.
What size? I still have a roll (of 5 cm wide) at home.
Besides I have master tape (19 mm wide) as well.

I only need to purchase a miter box and saw.

scotus
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
What size? I still have a roll (of 5 cm wide) at home.
Besides I have master tape (19 mm wide) as well.

I only need to purchase a miter box and saw.

That sounds good enough.

Gee
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Just ordered:

- one Volkl S-pallet L3
- one Volkl Standard L2 (because I need build up the top and bottom surfaces with layers of tape).

Delivery will be probably 21th of February.

Thanks again for your help. I 'll keep you posted when I receive the pallets and ready to continue.

counterpuncher
02-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I already knew this but I wanted to know on what racquets you replaced the TK82 L2 and TK82S L2 pallets. If you performed this on Head (or Volkl Attiva) racquets then the pallets will fit perfectly (without gaps).Then I understand why you would opt for a TK82S (or a Volkl S pallet) that are closest to a Wlison L3 grip shape. But the hairpin of PK frames is thicker than Head ones.

I replaced the TK82 L2 pallets with TK82S L2 pallets on a Head LM radical, MG Prestige Pro and YT Prestige Pro. I also replaced a BB London pallet with the Attiva S.

Switching manufacturers, I only did this once, Volkl pallet on a Head. While close, the pallet doesn't fit without sanding down the sides of the Head hairpin about 1mm each side, and placing a strip of tape on the top and bottom of the hairpin.

If the PK hairpin is thicker, then as I did, you will need to sand it down slightly.

Gee
02-16-2012, 02:26 PM

I replaced the TK82 L2 pallets with TK82S L2 pallets on a Head LM radical, MG Prestige Pro and YT Prestige Pro. I also replaced a BB London pallet with the Attiva S.

Switching manufacturers, I only did this once, Volkl pallet on a Head. While close, the pallet doesn't fit without sanding down the sides of the Head hairpin about 1mm each side, and placing a strip of tape on the top and bottom of the hairpin.

If the PK hairpin is thicker, then as I did, you will need to sand it down slightly.

Hi Counterpuncher,
Thanks for your tip. You might be right as the PK hairpin is 26 mm wide and 19 mm deep. How do you sand down a hairpin? What tools do you need for that?

counterpuncher
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Counterpuncher,
Thanks for your tip. You might be right as the PK hairpin is 26 mm wide and 19 mm deep. How do you sand down a hairpin? What tools do you need for that?

As it was only a little, I just used some not too coarse sand paper and a sanding block. Of course the other option is sanding down the inside of the pallet, if you did not want to modify the hairpin of the PK.

Gee
02-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Last Monday I received the Volkl pallets.

While they were on the way I put a Head TK76 L3 on my PK Redondo that I took off from my old Head FXP Radical Tour.
I didn't use any adhesive materials because there was still enough glue residue on the hairpin. I also didn't staple the buttcap because I had to push (and stamp) very firmly in order to replace it. Maybe I 'll staple or glue the buttcap when I am sure about the grip shape.

I must admit that it feels pretty good. A little bit bigger than a regular PK L3 because of the gaps at 3 and 9 (from a laying down on a table view).

The PK leather feels very comfortable as well that reminds of Volkl leather without that contoured structure.

On top I wrapped a Yonex Super Grap overgrip and I strung the Redondo with Head RIP Control 17g at 26(m)/25(c) kg.

Tomorrow night I 'll play for the first time with the PK Redondo that I 'll review.

scotus
03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Did you get a chance to finish this project with the Volkl pallet, or did you decide to keep the Head TK76 pallet on your racquet?

Gee
03-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Did you get a chance to finish this project with the Volkl pallet, or did you decide to keep the Head TK76 pallet on your racquet?
Last Sunday I replaced the TK76 pallets with the Volkl-S L3 ones because I felt the TK76 is a little too high to my taste.

I shot a few pictures as well during the replacement...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rlWG1S9CZz8/T1ZMOAyfoWI/AAAAAAAAAe8/6lwnx-rocE0/h120/DSC00220.JPG https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KlbiaI6io8g/T1ZMO7RvL0I/AAAAAAAAAe0/sy-aVGF_4RY/s128/DSC00221.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iOhqZx5NLiQ/T1ZMOF8JABI/AAAAAAAAAeo/cN8LxDceVgo/s128/DSC00217.JPG

The Volkl S pallets enclose the PK hairpin pretty well (without the use of any tape) as you can see.

I didn't play yet after these customization but it feels a bit smaller than the TK76.

Gee
03-06-2012, 08:51 AM
To fasten the buttcap I purchased a staple gun. This one costs only € 20,- and it does the job well enough.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0xspcq02Gdc/T1ZMQsmUy-I/AAAAAAAAAfY/-tOw9NDqs6Q/s800/DSC00226.JPG

scotus
03-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Last Sunday I replaced the TK76 pallets with the Volkl-S L3 ones because I felt the TK76 is a little too high to my taste.

I shot a few pictures as well during the replacement...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rlWG1S9CZz8/T1ZMOAyfoWI/AAAAAAAAAe8/6lwnx-rocE0/h120/DSC00220.JPG https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KlbiaI6io8g/T1ZMO7RvL0I/AAAAAAAAAe0/sy-aVGF_4RY/s128/DSC00221.JPG https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iOhqZx5NLiQ/T1ZMOF8JABI/AAAAAAAAAeo/cN8LxDceVgo/s128/DSC00217.JPG

The Volkl S pallets enclose the PK hairpin pretty well (without the use of any tape) as you can see.

I didn't play yet after these customization but it feels a bit smaller than the TK76.

All right, mission accomplished!

That looks really good. I hope it feels as good as it looks.

Congrats on a job well done!

Gee
03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
All right, mission accomplished!

That looks really good. I hope it feels as good as it looks.

Congrats on a job well done!
Thank you, scotus! I am glad that I managed this. I learned a lot of this job.

Gee
03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Last night I played an hour with the PK Redondo customized with Volkl S pallets.

I really enjoyed the grip shape of the S-pallets that feels a bit smaller and more maneuverable than my former setup with the TK76 pallets. Through this I was able to switch my grips more in time.

Unfortunately I heard an annoying cracking sound sometimes. Now I am worried about this. Didn't I attach the pallets well enough? Should I have to put double sided tape on the hairpin first? What might be the cause of that cracking sound?

scotus
03-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Last night I played an hour with the PK Redondo customized with Volkl S pallets.

I really enjoyed the grip shape of the S-pallets that feels a bit smaller and more maneuverable than my former setup with the TK76 pallets. Through this I was able to switch my grips more in time.

Unfortunately I heard an annoying cracking sound sometimes. Now I am worried about this. Didn't I attach the pallets well enough? Should I have to put double sided tape on the hairpin first? What might be the cause of that cracking sound?

So does it feel more like Wilson grip? And what about the sharpness of the bevel? I recall NoBadMojo mention that the bevels are rounded and are not sharp. Is that true?

Regarding the cracking noise, my suspicions are in this order:

(1) There is space between the pallet and the hairpin, such that when you compress the handle, the 2 pallet halves are pressing against each other. If this be the case, you'd need to disassemble and put a layer or two of tape or something over the hairpin to thicken up the hairpin.

(2) The buttcaps are not securely attached. Heard of all those Babolat racquets and their squeaky buttcaps? That might be it.

Gee
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
So does it feel more like Wilson grip? And what about the sharpness of the bevel? I recall NoBadMojo mention that the bevels are rounded and are not sharp. Is that true?
Yes the shape is a little more squarely with less sharp bevels that I actually prefer above the sharper ones. I am able to distinguish my different grips (Eastern FH, Continental and Eastern BH) clearly enough with these ones as well.

Regarding the cracking noise, my suspicions are in this order:

(1) There is space between the pallet and the hairpin, such that when you compress the handle, the 2 pallet halves are pressing against each other. If this be the case, you'd need to disassemble and put a layer or two of tape or something over the hairpin to thicken up the hairpin.

(2) The buttcaps are not securely attached. Heard of all those Babolat racquets and their squeaky buttcaps? That might be it.

These things came to my mind as well. I 'll check these points.

Gee
03-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Just finished my Volkl S pallets replacement for the second time.
The original PK pallets have a width (from inside) of 22 cm and the Volkl S pallets 20 cm. So I need to fill up that 2 cm with tape on the top and bottom surface of the pallets.

I took pictures during this process as well.

First I cut two strips of double sided at a length of 18 cm to cover the whole length of the handle.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c7iRNhzp3cY/T1vVUIcR4-I/AAAAAAAAAhw/19lwW37qJP0/s288/2012-03-10%2022.28.44.jpg https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-zEQKRf0unCg/T1vVbI2obNI/AAAAAAAAAiE/vG1VoHvmQpQ/s288/2012-03-10%2022.29.43.jpg

The double sided tape on the hairpin.

Gee
03-10-2012, 01:50 PM
The Volkl pallets were neatly placed, aligned and fastened by pressing and squeezing carefully.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dQbi4sVtSMU/T1vU5XmFkoI/AAAAAAAAAgg/sirGZWK5tYU/s288/2012-03-10%2022.40.55.jpg https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cfb2LOfxPG0/T1vU_o_EgoI/AAAAAAAAAg0/fkb7NXKjXZM/s288/2012-03-10%2022.41.06.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7G3-BjXZcCA/T1vVEg9Lu9I/AAAAAAAAAhI/zk6GDwZYZJI/s288/2012-03-10%2022.40.38.jpg

Gee
03-10-2012, 01:58 PM
The Redondo is stable vertically so I aligned pallets properly. Then I stapled the buttcap with my staple gun...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QoI53_lmL2Q/T1vVoEEDL-I/AAAAAAAAAiY/XS8p7FBYyZc/s288/2012-03-10%2022.42.06.jpg https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--NvEH1vwPPk/T1vUsc7JsKI/AAAAAAAAAgQ/EGqh6NNQci4/s288/2012-03-10%2022.49.20.jpg

and finally the leather grip and overgrip were wrapped around the pallets. It feels a bit thicker and more solid because of the double sided tape.

And... no cracking sound anymore! Regardless how hard I squeeze into my grip! :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MdBuf5YqCG8/T1vWJ9Bc91I/AAAAAAAAAjU/ngo7Mxn9riI/s288/2012-03-10%2023.13.42.jpg

Tomorrow I 'll test this setup. I am curious!

Gee
03-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I played today without any grip issues. No cracking sound and the grip size and shape are just perfect. So I 'll stay with this setup.

scotus
03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear of your successful racquet modification.

Cheers!

Gee
03-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Glad to hear of your successful racquet modification.

Cheers!
Thanks for your support. I wouldn't get this job done without your help.

Actually the title of this thread needs to be changed into Volkl S-pallets on a PK Redondo.
I only don't know how to edit the thread title.

scotus
03-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your support. I wouldn't get this job done without your help.

Actually the title of this thread needs to be changed into Volkl S-pallets on a PK Redondo.
I only don't know how to edit the thread title.

You're quite welcome.

Regarding editing thread titles, only moderators can do that. You can try sending a nice email to diredesire and ask him to edit it for you.

Gee
06-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Lately I bought another Redondo MP (second-hand).

However I was unpleasantly surprised when I noticed it was extended by the previous owner.

I managed to remove the extra length and afer that I customized the grip with Volkl S L3 pallets (same way as I did with my first Redondo MP).

The original leather was very dirty (and curly) because of the glue used. That's why I used my Fairway leather grip instead as I cannot find a shop that sells the Pro Kennex leather grip.

Unfortunately the grip of my second Redondo doesn´t feel the same as my other one. It feels a bit smaller. Maybe due to the Fairway leather grip. I also tried Babolat leather but that didn't make any difference to me.

How to solve this?

scotus
06-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Lately I bought another Redondo MP (second-hand).

However I was unpleasantly surprised when I noticed it was extended by the previous owner.

I managed to remove the extra length and afer that I customized the grip with Volkl S L3 pallets (same way as I did with my first Redondo MP).

The original leather was very dirty (and curly) because of the glue used. That's why I used my Fairway leather grip instead as I cannot find a shop that sells the Pro Kennex leather grip.

Unfortunately the grip of my second Redondo doesn´t feel the same as my other one. It feels a bit smaller. Maybe due to the Fairway leather grip. I also tried Babolat leather but that didn't make any difference to me.

How to solve this?

Hi Gee,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Here's what I would do.

(1) Take grips off both racquets. Take measurements to see that the pallets have identical dimensions. (Even the pallets of the same model and size can give you a slight variance) Also, you have played with your first racquet for a while with the modified handle. That would compress both the pallets and the tape you put under them, resulting in a slightly smaller size and feel.

(2) If the pallets are the same dimension, then take 2 identical brand-new grips of your choice and put them on. Remember an older, used grip would be thinner than a new one due to compression, even if they are the same brand and model.

You can also play with your new racquet exclusively for the next few months, and then make another comparison. By that time, the two racquet handles might feel a lot more similar.

Gee
06-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi Gee,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Here's what I would do.

(1) Take grips off both racquets. Take measurements to see that the pallets have identical dimensions. (Even the pallets of the same model and size can give you a slight variance) Also, you have played with your first racquet for a while with the modified handle. That would compress both the pallets and the tape you put under them, resulting in a slightly smaller size and feel.

(2) If the pallets are the same dimension, then take 2 identical brand-new grips of your choice and put them on. Remember an older, used grip would be thinner than a new one due to compression, even if they are the same brand and model.

You can also play with your new racquet exclusively for the next few months, and then make another comparison. By that time, the two racquet handles might feel a lot more similar.

Hi Scotus,

Nevermind, I am still glad you replied. Thanks for your excellent answers!

However... First of all you need to understand that the grip of my first (and most used) racquet with the original PK leather grip and a Yonex Super Grap overgrip feels thicker than my second one and just right for me.

Meanwhile I ordered a Boris Becker leather grip after a recommendation from one TT member.
Just right after my order I received an email from another TT who sells the PK leather (Pure Comfort) grip. I might give that one a try first (and return the BB leather if possible).

scotus
06-22-2012, 03:11 AM
Hi Scotus,

Nevermind, I am still glad you replied. Thanks for your excellent answers!

However... First of all you need to understand that the grip of my first (and most used) racquet with the original PK leather grip and a Yonex Super Grap overgrip feels thicker than my second one and just right for me.

Meanwhile I ordered a Boris Becker leather grip after a recommendation from one TT member.
Just right after my order I received an email from another TT who sells the PK leather (Pure Comfort) grip. I might give that one a try first (and return the BB leather if possible).

I see. Then I hope one of those new leather grips solves the problem for you.

Gee
06-25-2012, 04:16 AM
I see. Then I hope one of those new leather grips solves the problem for you.
I installed the BB leather grip on my second Redondo and I must admit the BB leather feels very comfortable. Solid, full and soft feel.

Though it feels very nice it is still slightly too rectangular (thin) to my taste.

I am considering to add one extra layer of masking tape at the wider surfaces (under the grip pallets).

It is only very difficult to remove my current pallets without damage because they are sticked on the hairpin with the double sided tape. I tried this before but unfortunately I broke the pallets.

Do you have suggestions?