PDA

View Full Version : Decisions decision! Who else has too many great racquets?

what a peach of a shot
02-11-2012, 04:02 AM
OK so I'm moving house and my wife has discovered just hoe many sticks I've got so I'm trying to slim down. Problem is, I don't want to sell and I just can't decide which I like best.
I've got Prostaffs 6.0 95, ncode 90s, asian K90, RDX500 90s, Dunlop 3g, 4D 300 tour, biomimetic 100s euro, 200 lites, prestige classics 93, Kblade tours. I love hitting with them all.
Currently really enjoying the Bio100 and 200 lite very sweet sticks esp for 1HBHs and serves.

Anyone else like me who can't decide whether to have the fish or the meat? Looks like I am having the taster menu.

CHOcobo
02-11-2012, 04:09 AM
i know exactly how you feel. i only have dunlop frames only and trying to sell most of them so i can get a pair of Bio200 18x20 but i just can't let any of my rackets go.

im not even sure if the Bio200 plays well without having that hollowness feedback like the 4D200 did.

good thing i only like one brand. lol.

hrstrat57
02-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Ha ha my household budget cop was cleaning the house and discovered my additional stash in addition to my tennis bags and counted a total of 19 frames(she missed a couple still in stealthy hiding)

Good thing I had recently sold off about 10 unused frames.....:oops:

She pointed at me and said "I am watching you!"

movdqa
02-11-2012, 04:54 AM
I can always point to my wife's clothes collection.

I have a good place in the basement to stash my racquets.

I really should get rid of some of my frames though.

I have given a few of them away recently.

I think that I'm going to toss some old Dunlop experiments from the early 1990s. These are my old Revelation Tour Pros that I siliconed and leaded up to 17 ounces. I don't think that I'm ever going to use them again and getting out the silicone would be too hard to do.

I really should sell or give away my Wilsons and my Pure Drive Roddick. I'm pretty much settled on Head now and even there I have too many frames (9). I should do another collection update picture soon.

fuzz nation
02-11-2012, 04:57 AM
I'd even refer to that as surf 'n turf, right? Some folks use that tag for the playing style of big serve and big forehand, but yours is more fun.

Lots of our pals around here will probably float the idea that if you want to get serious with your development, you need to get dialed in with one frame, but I'm going to support your current approach to the candy store of gear that's out there.

If you love hitting with them all, that's only fueling your enthusiasm to be out there more often. Go with it! If you realize one day that your plethora of racquets has become a distraction for you, then it's probably time to only bring maybe two different models with you to the courts.

Why haul different racquets if there's a distraction factor? It's no mystery that we all have our better days along with some that we might want to forget. While it's nice to have a favorite sort of go-to frame, I've also saved myself by having an alternative in my bag on a few occasions where my game was just plain off. Maybe the backup model was just a little lighter, more flexible, had a better string setup, etc. Sometimes I can "clear my synapses" by grabbing a different racquet that I also like to use. No crime there.

You're probably compiling a lot of general racquet knowledge by using an array of racquets (a good thing). If you don't string your own gear yet, I highly recommend you look into at least a simple table-top rig to help keep you in business. You'll save a bundle, find it much easier to dial in your own gear, and if you string for friends here and there, the thing will pay for itself before you know it.

One more aspect of having different racquets handy is the possibility that you may be much stronger in a singles format with one frame, but find a lot more confidence and authority playing doubles with a different racquet. Nothing to be afraid of I'd say. It might just be that your biggest "problem" is that you simply don't have a second bag for all these racquets. Easy fix.

movdqa
02-11-2012, 05:17 AM
> Lots of our pals around here will probably float the idea that if you
> want to get serious with your development, you need to get dialed
> in with one frame, but I'm going to support your current approach
> to the candy store of gear that's out there.

This is my feeling. You get a frame, give it a few months and see how well you do. I feel that I could do fine with just about any frame that isn't too stiff, along with a few packs of lead tape.

I really enjoy using my YT Prestiges but two of them are different length and I have no real reason to keep them - just too lazy to put them up for sale. My YT Radicals are a collectors item for me. I picked up two IG Prestiges because everyone has said how much of an improvement they are over the YT - we'll see. I might just stick with the YT Prestiges as I have three of them and they are relatively easier to get.

All of the other frames - maybe I just like having them around or more likely - I'm too lazy to package them up for sale. I don't think that I'm going to go back to Mids after having put in the effort to transition to MPs.

Fuji
02-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Well I'm at well over 20 frames now, (I swear it's because I get pairs of almost everything, ;) ) and I don't see much problem with it. Most of them are just "classic" frames that I'm too lazy to sell.

Honestly though, I use different ones on different days depending how my arm is feeling. If the arm is feeling fine and dandy, I'll use my Aero Storms with poly hybrids, if I wake up feeling a bit tender, then I pick from one of the plethora of softer options I have to make sure I can play that day.

Enjoy it, it's a lot of fun! :)

(Btw, have you considered putting them on a top shelf of a side closet. I just have mine stacked to the ceiling LOL!)

-Fuji

movdqa
02-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I put mine on a shelf in a large coat closet. I don't stack them that high (maybe five or six) for fear that they will come tumbling down.

user92626
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I have only seven frames and I like and use them all, but I already got the guilty feeling of owning too many so I can't get more or wanna deal with wifey nagging.

Using more than 2 frames in a regular basis is a very bad distraction and causing havoc on my tennis. So now I'm forcing myself to pack only the pair of Speed 16x19's to bring to court. :)

colan5934
02-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I really should sell or give away my Wilsons and my Pure Drive Roddick. I'm pretty much settled on Head now and even there I have too many frames (9). I should do another collection update picture soon.
Movdqa, please shoot me an email or PM on here about your pure drive Roddick.