PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Aerogel 500 Tour more prone to string breakage?

keithfival
02-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Never been a string breaker, almost always use SPPP for several months until I decide to cut it out, broke it maybe 2 or 3 times ever (using APDC). Just started using an Aerogel 4D500Tour and liking it but broke SPPP (50 lbs) on the second time out. Thought it was a fluke mishit, restrung with WCSS (50 lbs) and broke it right in the center on a clean forehand on the 3rd time out.

Two flukes or are certain frames that much more prone to breakage? I've been using APDC+ which also has an open string pattern and is also stiff and never had a problem so I can't just be those factors. Thoughts?

prjacobs
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Never had a problem with my 4D 500 tour.

Larrysümmers
02-11-2012, 11:41 AM
maybe you are able to swing it faster, causing more friction

neverstopplaying
02-11-2012, 02:15 PM
It is a stiff, open 16x18 pattern. I go through strings quickly with this one.

But breaking SPPP on 2nd time out is one of the traits of SPPP. If you broke a main in the upper hoop it could be a mishit

The Baseline
02-11-2012, 02:29 PM
ive strung mine with poly and it doesnt break that often. Im a player with a 110 mph forehand and can put extreme RPMs on the ball whenever I dont want to hit it flat, ive never had a problem.

keithfival
02-11-2012, 03:45 PM
maybe you are able to swing it faster, causing more friction

I actually hit flatter with it than the APDC, which is what I like about it.

keithfival
02-11-2012, 03:46 PM
ive strung mine with poly and it doesnt break that often. Im a player with a 110 mph forehand and can put extreme RPMs on the ball whenever I dont want to hit it flat, ive never had a problem.

Hm, maybe just a fluke then.

keithfival
02-11-2012, 03:48 PM
It is a stiff, open 16x18 pattern. I go through strings quickly with this one.

But breaking SPPP on 2nd time out is one of the traits of SPPP. If you broke a main in the upper hoop it could be a mishit

I've never had that problem with SPPP though I've heard about it. In ~20 string jobs I've maybe broken it twice before and that would be after 2 months or more. This was definitely an upper hoop mishit.

The WCSS was dead center main string though. It was my first time with WCSS so I don't know about the durability of that one though.