PDA

View Full Version : longer frame and elbow problems

Downtown
02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I am very grateful for this message board. Is there any truth that a longer length racket, 27.50, is harder on the elbow than standard length? I am a 47 year old, short in height 4.5 player. Thanks in advance for your responses. I am experiencing shoulder and elbow pain. Yes, in the process of changing string set up.

Steve Huff
02-11-2012, 03:18 PM
yes there is truth to that rumor. That's not to say all extended length rackets are bad. But, lengthier rackets add power and spin because the contact point of the ball is further from the fulcrum (your hand). This causes the racket to be moving faster at the contact point given your hand is moving at the same speed. Because of this, the ball, at contact, has more leverage on your arm. So, even at a given swingweight, making contact further from your hand adds stress to your arm. Is 1/2" going to hurt you? If you're like me and have bad joints, yes it will. If you're healthy, have no arm issues, it may not bother you at all.

keithfival
02-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I am very grateful for this message board. Is there any truth that a longer length racket, 27.50, is harder on the elbow than standard length? I am a 47 year old, short in height 4.5 player. Thanks in advance for your responses. I am experiencing shoulder and elbow pain. Yes, in the process of changing string set up.

I've played a lot with the APDC+ and the standard length. The plus definitely gives me occasional issues, mostly wrist and shoulder, never really had any problem with the standard length. However...I use the plus b/c I play much better with it. Sigh.

Downtown
02-11-2012, 03:52 PM
I too feel as though I play better with a longer racket, however, to save the arm and shoulder, I think I will go to a standard length. I appreciate the insights from everyone. Now, do I stay with the Pro Kennex line or try something else?

esgee48
02-11-2012, 04:48 PM
So..demo the PK 5G. Or change to a softer setup on your 7G? I play with extended length (27.5 & 28 inch frames) and have never had arm/shoulder issues. Have to make sure you hit the ball out in front. BTW, old school strokes hit mainly from neutral stances.

prjacobs
02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I also find longer frames harder on the arm and elbow...

my76
02-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I too feel as though I play better with a longer racket, however, to save the arm and shoulder, I think I will go to a standard length. I appreciate the insights from everyone. Now, do I stay with the Pro Kennex line or try something else?

If you are at all a DIYer you can try reducing the length of you current rackets, try cutting them down to 27 1/4" and see how your arm likes that.I cut down my Ki5x's to 27" they played fine although I missed the extra power and recently added 1/4 of length back on.

eman resu
02-12-2012, 01:50 AM
I played with 28" racquets for over a year and it was probably the less painful tennis of my life. As soon as I went back to 27" I had TE and my shoulder was aching again (now I'm more used to the smaller lenght and weight again, I guess). Maybe you just have to pick the right one.

eman resu
02-12-2012, 01:59 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=362045

mikeler
02-12-2012, 06:30 AM
You can always choke up on the handle to see if your arm does better.

Faithfulfather
02-12-2012, 07:29 AM
I have major elbow problems with certain racquets (EXO 3 black, Pro Open, V Core 100s, and K-factor six-one). My PK 7g doesn't hurt my arm at all. I have had 3 rotator cuff surgeries. After 3 long sets of tennis I may have a little soreness in my shoulder. I love this racquet.

mikeler
02-12-2012, 07:54 AM
I have major elbow problems with certain racquets (EXO 3 black, Pro Open, V Core 100s, and K-factor six-one). My PK 7g doesn't hurt my arm at all. I have had 3 rotator cuff surgeries. After 3 long sets of tennis I may have a little soreness in my shoulder. I love this racquet.

I've never had a problem with the 7G until our club clay courts started being wet all the time a few months ago. The balls get real heavy and are no joy on the elbow. On dry courts, I've never had any issues.

Faithfulfather
02-12-2012, 08:07 AM
I've never had a problem with the 7G until our club clay courts started being wet all the time a few months ago. The balls get real heavy and are no joy on the elbow. On dry courts, I've never had any issues.

Any racquet would hurt anyone's arm with a wet clay court. It is like hitting a soft baseball with a tennIs racquet. I refuse to play on our over dampened clay courts.

mikeler
02-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Any racquet would hurt anyone's arm with a wet clay court. It is like hitting a soft baseball with a tennIs racquet. I refuse to play on our over dampened clay courts.

I'm getting there. Might just play on the hard courts.

jorel
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
try makin it more HL

Fed Kennedy
04-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Whats strange is that the pure storm tour gt is a very soft frame...but if you look at the feedback section on the plus model there are a crazy amount of people saying its killing their arm...

keithfival
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
OP, didn't realize you were playing the 7G. That seems really arm friendly to me, maybe it's another part of your setup that's giving you probs?

mikeler
04-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Whats strange is that the pure storm tour gt is a very soft frame...but if you look at the feedback section on the plus model there are a crazy amount of people saying its killing their arm...

It probably does feel soft to some especially if they are used to the stiffer Babolats. The GT version of the Pure Storm Tour is noticeably stiffer than the non GT version which is noticeably stiffer than the 7G. If you have a sore arm, you could hit balls with all 3 and instantly pick them out.