PDA

View Full Version : RE: those days when you're hitting out of your shoes, exploding off the ground, just

DeShaun
02-11-2012, 03:28 PM
crushing forehands from everywhere; what is the biggest essential ingredient to having more of these days?
Is it fitness? I think it its.
Assuming you have changed none of your stroke mechanics nor your hitting partners and assume also that your hitting partners are not having off days. . .it's just that you are seeing the ball and moving so well to it and getting tremendous weight behind your shots. It's got to be the fitness, right?

rkelley
02-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Getting everything working together.

I was just playing with a friend and I was hitting well. I was moving my feet, getting set-up properly on the ball including good left arm stretch, legs bent, open stance, racquet back and up, and getting my hips and then shoulders turned into the ball, using my left arm to help pull my shoulders around, and letting the racquet just whip into the ball.

It felt great a lot of the time today.

DeShaun
02-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Getting everything working together.

I was just playing with a friend and I was hitting well. I was moving my feet, getting set-up properly on the ball including good left arm stretch, legs bent, open stance, racquet back and up, and getting my hips and then shoulders turned into the ball, using my left arm to help pull my shoulders around, and letting the racquet just whip into the ball.

It felt great a lot of the time today.

There could be truth in what you're saying because the last time I had one of those days, I distinctly recall being much more aware of racket positioning during take-back than I normally am. For me though, I really think the difference comes down to my fitness, particularly when my groin is not sore then I can (and do) get a whole lot more vertical lift behind my shots, creating big topspin which allows me to blast apart opposing defenses without even having to aim for the lines. In such events, I will simply hit hard w/lots of spin over the low part of the net two or three times, get a short ball, and crush it. It's a fun style of play and a great strategy but it's also highly sensitive to my fitness levels, and only works when I'm feeling twenty-three years old again which hasn't been too often. . .but I'm trying to correct this by thinking hard on how best to improve my fitness for this style of game.

Fuji
02-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Days like that are dependent on how well my muscles are feeling that day! If you're loose and without aches and pains, it will more then likely happen. Speed and preparation for shots is vital! :)

-Fuji

NLBwell
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
For me, it was always practice, practice, practice. The more I practiced and played the more often they occured and the longer it lasted.

DeShaun
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
For me, it was always practice, practice, practice. The more I practiced and played the more often they occured and the longer it lasted.

You see, for me, I tend to over-train. So, I have to be careful about practicing too much. I will tell you another thing: that day of mine from recently, when I was blasting powerful, accurate forehands from everywhere--inside outs, inside ins, reverses, aggressive swinging volleys--I had returned to the court that day after a lengthy layoff from playing or practicing, on the order of two weeks without having picked up a racket once. So, my body was fresh as a daisy and I was turning my torso and my legs were bouncing a great deal which doesn't normally happen perhaps because I am constantly nursing some or other niggling ache. That's why I want to get stronger and fitter, so I won't ache as much and will be able to practice more without my in-match performance suffering.

NLBwell
02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
You are right in that you can't play your best if you are tired or nursing injuries.

Larrysümmers
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
when everything is there mentally for me. if im tense for what ever reason then its goodbye good shots. but when im mellow and just relaxed feeling high on life then i have no problem unleashing forehands and serves with ease.

Larrysümmers
02-11-2012, 09:52 PM
You are right in that you can't play your best if you are tired or nursing injuries.

depends on the injury and if its gotten in my head. but when im tired, not tired as in a long match tired, but the its been a long day tired, i find it almost impossible to play my best.

OTMPut
02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
i cannot recollect details after a "in the zone" performance. i absolutely have no idea what i did, how i moved, how my racquet moved, etc.

coincidentally when i am thinking a lot about myself, form, footwork etc, i dont have such a great time.

of course i can always attribute, post fact, many "correct" factors to a good performance.

DeShaun
02-11-2012, 10:15 PM
depends on the injury and if its gotten in my head. but when im tired, not tired as in a long match tired, but the its been a long day tired, i find it almost impossible to play my best.

Well, my most recurrent pain is groin-related. Based on what I've read, it seems to reflect the early symptoms of a sports hernia. It's extremely deep in location (around my lower hip flexors and the base of my S-C-R-O-T-U-M). Sitting up from a supine position is painful to nearly impossible when the symptoms are at their severest. So, I need to be careful about that, and the injury definitely has gotten in my head. It definitely inhibits my airborne torso-turn when I'm hitting forehands (I like being off the ground when I make contact; gives me better control).

Devilito
02-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Train a lot and have proper recovery. Learn to balance tennis practice and fitness / strength training. That’s key. People usually over train and don’t know how to recover. How to properly rest, get enough sleep, apply proper nutrition and supplementation. If you go back out to train and haven’t recovered from the last session you’re going to likely have a bad practice that might actually work as a negative and you’d have been better off staying at home resting. Tennis pros don’t have to worry about waking up in the morning and going to school or going to a full time job. Because tennis is their job they’re better able to balance out all those factors and learn how to play their best consistently day-in day-out.

Larrysümmers
02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Well, my most recurrent pain is groin-related. Based on what I've read, it seems to reflect the early symptoms of a sports hernia. It's extremely deep in location (around my lower hip flexors and the base of my S-C-R-O-T-U-M). Sitting up from a supine position is painful to nearly impossible when the symptoms are at their severest. So, I need to be careful about that, and the injury definitely has gotten in my head. It definitely inhibits my airborne torso-turn when I'm hitting forehands (I like being off the ground when I make contact; gives me better control).

ouch that doesnt sound to fun. when i hurt my ankle that def got into my head.

Xizel
02-12-2012, 11:42 AM
When I properly pray to Buddha before playing. I keep a picture of him in my wallet, my phone, probably under my insoles too.

andry16
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
be mentally fresh, take a couple of days off

thug the bunny
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
when everything is there mentally for me. if im tense for what ever reason then its goodbye good shots. but when im mellow and just relaxed feeling high on life then i have no problem unleashing forehands and serves with ease.

I find the mojo more this way. Strangely enough, I often find it when I'm at a physical low, like having a cold, not enough sleep, hungover, etc (within reason). I'm pretty sure it's because I have very little expectations under these conditions, so I'm loose and just release the racket into the ball without tension.

wy2sl0
02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
For me at like a 3.0-3.5 level, I find the person I am playing against makes the largest difference. I would confidently say that on my very best day I can hit forehands at some serious pace (4.0-5.0) level fairly consistently, however then I can have days where I am a very average 3.0.

The opponent I am playing makes the biggest difference in whether I get into a rhythm or not. I have found the worst thing I can do is come out hitting big right away. If I work myself into a match hitting just rally balls, I can start taking cuts that will drop in but are very flat.

djarvik
02-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Regiment and diet. A good night of sleep and a healthy food make world of difference. I find that oversleeping is just as bad as not sleeping enough, maybe worse.