PDA

View Full Version : About the Pro Staff 90 BLX...

stormholloway
02-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Is anyone playing regularly with this frame?

I ask because I had a hit with it and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It's outstanding really. It's basically a BLX 90 with feedback, which is all that the last model lacked as I see it. It's perhaps a slightly lighter swing, but some of the rawness from the K90 is back in this frame, just not in high quantity. It's still a dampened frame, but there's enough feel to get a good idea where your ball is going to go. It's downright comfortable, as was the BLX before it, but isn't so damn muted.

So... why the hell is no one playing with it? If you are, let your voice be heard. I'm curious what people think about it. There aren't many user reviews on the forum.

sixone90
02-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Going to demo it in a few weeks time

sargeinaz
02-11-2012, 10:14 PM
I felt the k90 was better at everything and so did my cousin. Hence, none of us bought it.

Xizel
02-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I felt the k90 was better at everything and so did my cousin. Hence, none of us bought it.

Amen.

10chars

stormholloway
02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Well I don't mean to bash because I welcome any feedback in this quiet thread, but I've never understood the whole "this racquet does this better" perspective.

Racquets don't do anything. They sit there and collect does without your own input.

This one feels significantly different than the K90 so I think there will be very divided opinions on the two. For me, the new frame has so many things that I've been craving for so long in a Pro Staff, primarily the weight distribution centered around the throat, rather than the opposite which is found in the K90.

But that's just me.

sargeinaz
02-12-2012, 11:19 AM
While I disagree and feel a racket can do things better than another like have more power or spin or stability etc, I felt that the k90 was more stable with more power and feel as well. It's not that the psblx90 is unstable, because it is. It also has slightly less power to me. Basically I'm splitting hairs and both are great rackets and if you use one you can use the other. It comes down to small differences.

Regarding the differences in weight distribution, I dont mind either. So that's not a deciding factor between the two for me, though I can see how it would be for some people.

michaelscoots
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
If you can handle the K90, IMO, it's the better of the two sticks. It's feel it's a bit more raw, and to me that translates to better feel/touch. Also, lbs per lbs, the K90 has a greater swing weight (327 vs 336). I definitely can strike the ball harder and with a touch more accuracy with the K90.

That said, the PS BLX 90 is pretty close to the K90. I'll have to raise the weight of the racquet to get the swing weight up. And it is a bit easier on the joints. However, in the end I'll be swinging a higher weight racquet to accomplish the same task.

A side note: The new PS BLX 90's have been coming in under spec weight. I had TW look through two separate batches of 4 1/4 grip's and they were all under weight. I ended up getting a racquet that was 11.84 oz unstrung, 12pts headlight, 67 flex. I then brought the weight up to 370 grams strung which is my preferred weight on the K90's. Even still, the swing weight is still noticeably lower than the K90...I'll be raising it up higher next time I string it.

courtking
02-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I check many PS BLX 90 at the local store and my friends bought it. most of them are under weight.. Wilson got some problem with this first batch I think.. some are even 12g under weight.. I weighted about 10 of these PS BLX 90 with grip size ranging from 4 1/8 to 4 1/2.. 9 out of 10 are under weight.. ranging from 329g-338g (that includes the plastic on the handle).. only 1 racket I found right on the specs which has grip 4 1/8..

stormholloway
02-12-2012, 08:03 PM
I'll have to try them side by side. I prefer the PSBLX in my hand because it feels closer to to the 85. The K90 has the rawness though. Gonna be a close call.

JGads
02-12-2012, 08:26 PM
I got to hit with this frame today. It weighed in under spec as well -- 12.4 -- but man, awesome frame. Great feel and the ball just goes where it's supposed to. Sweet hit.

stormholloway
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I got to hit with this frame today. It weighed in under spec as well -- 12.4 -- but man, awesome frame. Great feel and the ball just goes where it's supposed to. Sweet hit.

I love this frame. I'm hitting really well with it. Mine came in 3 grams under according to TW, which, for Wilson, isn't that bad. I haven't heard a case of any weighing in higher than spec so it sounds like Wilson may have botched the first run.

Dgdavid
02-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Jgads, how does it compare to Prestige MP and Mid?

JGads
02-14-2012, 01:58 AM
Jgads, how does it compare to Prestige MP and Mid?

Hard to say exactly because the PS 90 I hit had super loose multi that was moving around like crazy, while the Prestiges I tried had much fresher string. And, I had only 90 minutes with the PS90 and much more with the Prestiges. So, with that limited window:

Pretty much what you'd expect. 90 and the Mid, very comparable. I felt like I was getting more forgiveness off center with the 90, and it even felt easier (but barely) to get around even though swingweight numbers would disagree. Sweet spot on the Prestige Mid probably the very best, though: it's just heaven when you nail it, and the ball just fires. Sweet spot seemed a bit bigger on the 90, but not quite as sweet. 90 hits a spinner ball, prestige a more driving one.

Prestige IG MP still my favorite of these three, though, partially due to user capability. Performance isn't as sweet at the highest of the highs compared to the other sticks, but you can make up for those things by getting the stick around faster and by taking advantage of the added forgiveness (head size and not having to be so 'fine' at all times. ... Also, personally, on serve, for me the weight of the Prestige Mid and PS 90 is tougher to get around for three sets on a consistent basis. The Prestige MP, I could serve bombs consistently throughout and vary up well. My serving was just clearly better with the Prestige MP, and I just think its a great all around frame with a solid feel and no real weakness.

cork_screw
02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
If you don't get "this racquet does this better" then you really don't know what you're talking about. The aeropro drive does create a ton of spin. The spin it produces is tremendous compared to other racquets. If you play a blind test with something like the Wilson ROK that hits very flat and you compare that with a Aeropro drive then you obviously would understand that the aeropro produces much more spin. It's more geared for a clay environment. The Pro staff 85 does favor 1hbhs and just by playing with it I can tell it hits better with that stroke than when I switch and hit 2hbh with my other sticks. There are a ton of examples. It's b.s. when people say it's all about your own technique. If that's the case why don't you and all the pros just use your technique to get all you can out of a cheap walmart racquet and save all that extra money you're throwing away. Before you spew out your thoughts, just be practical with your info than trying to b.s. with it's all about technique. That gets repeated often, but you can't rule out some racquets do things better and make it more natural and less demanding than other sticks.

Well I don't mean to bash because I welcome any feedback in this quiet thread, but I've never understood the whole "this racquet does this better" perspective.

Racquets don't do anything. They sit there and collect does without your own input.

This one feels significantly different than the K90 so I think there will be very divided opinions on the two. For me, the new frame has so many things that I've been craving for so long in a Pro Staff, primarily the weight distribution centered around the throat, rather than the opposite which is found in the K90.

But that's just me.

stormholloway
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
If you don't get "this racquet does this better" then you really don't know what you're talking about. The aeropro drive does create a ton of spin.

Lemme guess: because Nadal uses it? The Aeropro Drive or any other tennis racquet doesn't DO anything. The player creates spin. The player creates pace.

The spin it produces is tremendous compared to other racquets. If you play a blind test with something like the Wilson ROK that hits very flat and you compare that with a Aeropro drive then you obviously would understand that the aeropro produces much more spin. It's more geared for a clay environment. The Pro staff 85 does favor 1hbhs and just by playing with it I can tell it hits better with that stroke than when I switch and hit 2hbh with my other sticks. There are a ton of examples.

Other examples of what, things you noticed while hitting against your garage door? There's nothing scientific to back up your nonsense, just anecdote.

It's b.s. when people say it's all about your own technique. If that's the case why don't you and all the pros just use your technique to get all you can out of a cheap walmart racquet and save all that extra money you're throwing away. Before you spew out your thoughts, just be practical with your info than trying to b.s. with it's all about technique. That gets repeated often, but you can't rule out some racquets do things better and make it more natural and less demanding than other sticks.

Walmart racquets are light. Light racquets limit the power potential. Them's the laws of physics.

That doesn't mean a racquet does anything better than another. Obviously more open string patterns will lend themselves to more spin, all other things being equal, but they don't do anything, particularly not racquets made from the same mold and having extremely similar specs.

Picking a racquet, for most people who know what the hell they're talking about (you're clearly excluded from this bunch), is first and foremost about feel, about how the racquet feels in their hand, how it feels to swing, and how it feels upon impact with the ball.

The whole "the K90 does everything better" is about as useless as your comment.

morten
02-15-2012, 01:15 AM
my first session with the psblx90 yesterday.. not impressed, kind of hollow feeling, stable but without sting, did not like the feel of it and did not really feel where the ball would land. Still like it more than the previous because of the swingweight, but to me the ps 85 is superior and easier to use also...