PDA

View Full Version : Custom Barricade 6 (Toe Dragger)

zerojoshua
02-11-2012, 08:20 PM
A little while back I posted a thread about the hassles of quickly wearing through the toes of my tennis shoes. The Addidas Barricade 6 toe lasted me a whole 2 weeks, while I still had at least a month of out-sole left. I got sick of patching the shoe with Shoe Goo because I would only get a day out of it, so I decided I would shoe goo a cut up tennis ball on the toe.

After I cut the desired piece I drilled many holes in the area of the shoe where the ball skin would be glued. Then I drilled many holes in the ball skin. Finally I sanded down the two surfaces and clued them together.

In order to hold the skin in place while the glue dried I drilled 8 screws throughout. After the glue dried I removed the screws and walla!.

I did this a week ago and have a few days of tennis ball skin left. I will probably redo the job until the out-sole is completely worn off.

I would also consider gluing a harder material that wouldn't damage tennis courts. I welcome ideas.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106338545807416836120/Barricade6Custom#

Maroon_Tenniskid
02-11-2012, 09:39 PM
would not dragging your toe be an idea? I only drag mine when I'm stretched out a bit. How do you manage to wear that part out? like what shot do you drag your toe on??

FearOfTheDark
02-11-2012, 11:23 PM
This sounds ridiculous!!

Learn to not drag your foot and you wouldn't have to deal with this~

USERNAME
02-11-2012, 11:30 PM
^^^ Looks ridiculous too...

thundaga
02-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I think I would've stuck with the shoe goo and let it set for longer?

zerojoshua
02-12-2012, 04:31 AM
My court coverage is the best part of my game (5 minute mile); I played 2-6 hours of basketball a day in my youth and now about 2 to 3 hours of tennis a day. Pivots and toe dragging give me angles that can be hard to achieve otherwise.

I have just ordered several rubber basketballs, will cut them to pieces, and will post pictures after I resole my shoes.

2 weeks to a month for a pair of shoes is just not cutting it. I guess I could just take up ping pong?

kingofstring
02-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Looks very weird!!

dr325i
02-12-2012, 07:23 AM
My court coverage is the best part of my game (5 minute mile); I played 2-6 hours of basketball a day in my youth and now about 2 to 3 hours of tennis a day. Pivots and toe dragging give me angles that can be hard to achieve otherwise.

I have just ordered several rubber basketballs, will cut them to pieces, and will post pictures after I resole my shoes.

2 weeks to a month for a pair of shoes is just not cutting it. I guess I could just take up ping pong?

That is great, but obviously you have flaws in your footwork.
I have not seen a single Pro changing his shoes due to toe holes during the match. I am sure they cover the court a "little" bit better than you.
Correct it while you're young...

Maroon_Tenniskid
02-12-2012, 09:47 AM
or go with the nike CB 3.3's, they have a lot of rubber and plastic right there.

zerojoshua
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
That is great, but obviously you have flaws in your footwork.
I have not seen a single Pro changing his shoes due to toe holes during the match. I am sure they cover the court a "little" bit better than you.
Correct it while you're young...

No doubt, I have many flaws, but I'm not sure court coverage is one of them. Most likely it's due to pivoting habits from basketball and because I have been playing tennis, obsessively for 2 years and 3 months.
Perhaps the toe dragging habits will disappear, but until than I will perform experiments.

Thanks for the response.

USERNAME
02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
^^^ I still think it looks weird (bball will look wayy better) but I know where your coming from. Toe dragging is a bad habit since it burns through shoes and can cause the odd misstep now and then, but I do it and wont stop doing it cause it feels wrong now.

purple-n-gold
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I actually found a way to make shoe goo last a little longer but don't know if it will help you out...

I got some molding putty and circled the worn down area on the shoe. Then filled in the circle, let it dry and removed the putty barrier. Then I molded the outer part of the stobby patch I created with more shoe goo using putty blade to smooth around.